PDA

View Full Version : Does our playoff berth= Head Coach Vogel?

pianoman
04-06-2011, 10:02 PM
After clinching the eighth tonight, does this mean Vogel locks up the job in your opinion?! Does he deserve it yet? He accomplished exactly what I wanted at the beginning of the season. PLAYOFFS!!:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::danc e::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance ::dance::dance::dance::dance:

cdash
04-06-2011, 10:05 PM
No.

Infinite MAN_force
04-06-2011, 10:06 PM
Certainly not.

Although as many will point out, a playoff series is a good way to test the mettle of a head coach. How he deals with the adjustments through a series against the same opponent will be telling. As good of an audition for the position as anything.

O'Braindead
04-06-2011, 10:07 PM
I want to see how we do in the post-season before anyone anoints him as our head coach. I really like Vogel and I think that he has some great potential as our very own Brad Stevens, but I want to wait just a tad bit longer.

Trophy
04-06-2011, 10:07 PM
No, this is never the case for an interim head coach.

He's most likely going to get the first interview as Bird said when we first named him head coach, but it won't mean that Vogel is definitely the head coach.

ksuttonjr76
04-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Depends on how he does against Chicago. As a side note, I REALLY hope it's Chicago. I live in Iowa, and the Chicago Bulls is the "local" team for us.

cdash
04-06-2011, 10:18 PM
Depends on how he does against Chicago. As a side note, I REALLY hope it's Chicago. I live in Iowa, and the Chicago Bulls is the "local" team for us.

I hope if it is Chicago that at least some bandwagon Pacer fans come to Conseco. I do NOT want to go to those games and see a crapload of Bulls fans.

pizza guy
04-06-2011, 10:18 PM
95% Yes.

He accomplished the goal we set at the start of this season. He took over in the midst of what looked to be yet another wasted season, with a struggling Hibbert, slumping Granger, second-year PG with a learning curve, and then lost Dunleavy (who some may not like, but certainly plays a role on this team), and he still made the playoffs. Maybe we didn't set the world on fire, but he did start off with a tremendous record. I think he is definitely responsible for getting the production out of this team that we thought they were capable of. He's brought a new attitude and a new excitement to the Pacers, and gotten us back to the playoffs.

And, with a guy like Bird who is loyal to his guys, I think Frank will get the job. With a full offseason, training camp, and all that, I think he gets even better.

The 5% chance that he doesn't get the job is in case we get swept out of the playoffs in 2 or 3 games. By that I mean that if the team gets blown out so miserably that they give up hope, and Vogel isn't able to get their best effort in the playoffs, then he may not be the guy.

All that said, he has my vote.

pacer4ever
04-06-2011, 10:20 PM
I hope if it is Chicago that at least some bandwagon Pacer fans come to Conseco. I do NOT want to go to those games and see a crapload of Bulls fans.

It's gonna be Chi-town they have pretty much clinched they are playing for the #1 overall seed now.

Trophy
04-06-2011, 10:28 PM

Pretty much in the playoffs, everyone in the home city's fans sell the arena out.

Yeah there will probably be a couple of Bulls fans there, but there's a ton of Pacers fan waiting for this moment for years and will get their tickets fast. That's why I gotta get mine once they go on sale and a flight which won't be easy around Easter.

pacer4ever
04-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Pretty much in the playoffs, everyone in the home city's fans sell the arena out.

Yeah there will probably be a couple of Bulls fans there, but there's a ton of Pacers fan waiting for this moment for years and will get their tickets fast. That's why I gotta get mine once they go on sale and a flight which won't be easy around Easter.

It really wont be i guarntee there will be more Bulls fans. They may buy tickets but they will sell them to scalpers and then to Bulls fans.

LoneGranger33
04-06-2011, 10:40 PM
When the Pacers hired O'Brien, the goal was simply to make the playoffs. When the next coach is hired, with the pieces we have and the cap flexibility we will soon enjoy, the goal will be to turn this roster into a contender for an NBA championship. Whether or not Frank Vogel is the guy for that job is not my call to make, but it's a tall order for a rookie head coach, regardless of his prior NBA experience.

cdash
04-06-2011, 10:41 PM

They are on sale now.

Unclebuck
04-06-2011, 10:41 PM

do you want to bet.

There will be a significant number of Bulls fans.

Trust me casual Pacers fans aren't too impressed by the playoff berth

If the pacers were playing the hawks in the first round I would expect around 13,000 to 14,000 at the games. The Bulls fans will make ita sellout - so that means 4000 Bulls fans

DemonHunter1105
04-06-2011, 10:42 PM
If we win 3 games or somehow steal the series then YES. Otherwise I say it is way too early to determine.

pacer4ever
04-06-2011, 10:43 PM
do you want to bet.

There will be a significant number of Bulls fans.

Trust me casual Pacers fans aren't too impressed by the playoff berth

If the pacers were playing the hawks in the first round I would expect around 13,000 to 14,000 at the games. The Bulls fans will make ita sellout - so that means 4000 Bulls fans

I bet even more Bulls fans show much cheaper than a playoff game in the UC.

Unclebuck
04-06-2011, 10:50 PM
I bet even more Bulls fans show much cheaper than a playoff game in the UC.

I won't bet against you. I hope there are only 3,000 - 4,000 Bulls fans.

Pacers are aware of the situation that is why tickets for those who live outsie Indiana don't go on sale until Sunday

Unclebuck
04-06-2011, 10:51 PM
They are on sale now.

Not if you live outside of Indiana

croz24
04-06-2011, 10:54 PM
sure hope not. not much structure or much of an offensive or defensive philosophy to vogel other than telling the players to just go out and play. not exactly what i desire in a head coach.

MTM
04-06-2011, 10:55 PM
I hate to mix metaphors by making analogies across sports lines... but I am a huge Reds fan and a huge Pacers fans. Similarities and comparisons are inevitable. Bear with me on this... it eventually gets to the point of the post.

On the night the Pacers clinch the playoff berth the Reds start the season 5-0. And this from a team that until scooting into the playoffs last season, had gone 15 years without a postseason.

The Reds have turned it around for 3 reasons - development of young talent that you can build a franchise around, bringing in the right mix of veterans to surround the young talent, and a veteran manager.

It's a blueprint for success in any sport. So compare that to the Pacers situation:

Development of young talent: CHECK

Bringing in the right mix of veterans to surround the young talent: TBD
Despite Foster and Posey and Jones, this team lacks the right amount and the right kinds of veterans... such as a veteran backup point guard, and one or two of those savvy vets who bring an intangible that come crunch time it makes a difference - for me that is the type of player that this franchise has added in the past -- a Haywoode Workman, Byron Scott, Sam Mitchell, Sam Perkins, Chris Mullin -- that helps the team make the gigantic next step.

Veteran Coach: TBD
I really really like Coach Vogel. So much that typing this is tough for me. But I think to take the next step, this team needs a Jerry Sloan-ish veteran, not an upstart coach. If the team had a better balance of youth and vets, maybe Coach Vogel would be fine. But I just don't think he is the right guy right now.

Sookie
04-06-2011, 10:56 PM
The Pacers are 19-16 since they hired Frank Vogel.

And if everyone on this board was accurate in how they described the players during losses, Frank did that with an entire roster of crappy players..and Hans and George. :P

on a serious note, I don't think he's earned the job. I think he's earned the first interview though.

pacer4ever
I won't bet against you. I hope there are only 3,000 - 4,000 Bulls fans.

Pacers are aware of the situation that is why tickets for those who live outsie Indiana don't go on sale until Sunday

It also depends on the day If it will be a weekend game there will be tons and if it is a week day game some will still will show. Chicago has very good traveling fans. Plus there is so much hype around that team in chicago because how they have played this year.

LA_Confidential
sure hope not. not much structure or much of an offensive or defensive philosophy to vogel other than telling the players to just go out and play. not exactly what i desire in a head coach.

My thoughts exactly. I've been clinging to the thought of Jerry Sloan coming in but maybe im being too much of a homer.

maragin
04-06-2011, 11:02 PM
If he wins the series against Chicago, I'd put him at 80% for coming back as head coach.

smj887
04-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Well, the rate the team's won at extrapolates to 45-ish wins over the course of an entire season. Assuming some development in the roster and a summer to implement his own staff, I don't see why 50 wins would be a reach. But that would be assuming he could keep the team winning at this rate.

I realize there's not much of a "system" in place, but if I had to choose between the old regime of having such a system that players have to be played out of position and have to play to their weaknesses, or the "get out and play with heart" ball that Vogel seems to prefer, I choose the latter.

Of course, this doesn't mean there aren't better candidate and that systems are bad. The right coach is the right coach. However, I think Vogel deserves the first (but not last) interview as more than just just a friendly gesture.

If he wins the series against Chicago, I'd put him at 80% for coming back as head coach.

If he wins a first round series coaching an 8th seed that he's only been leading for 70-ish days against a 1 seed that happens to have the presumed MVP on it as well as an outstanding head coach, and is also a division rival, I'd put him at 1,000% for coming back as head coach.

samiuam
04-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Man, I am super excited about the Pacers being back in the playoffs!! I am really hoping to be able to get to tickets for the playoffs...does anyone know when and where is the best place to get the tickets? I will be coming from Chicago, and I can't wait to make the drive. I am off on 4/14-4/17...I hope that at least one Pacers home game is during that time period in Indy.

pacer4ever
04-06-2011, 11:04 PM
"If"
Thats like saying i will sleep with Megan Fox next week.

xIndyFan
04-06-2011, 11:05 PM
no. i think the pacers want an experienced coach. the problem with player/practice issues needed larry bird to solve. i just don't see the pacers keeping vogel. this will make a nice line on his resume, but he just doesn't seem ready.

cdash
04-06-2011, 11:06 PM
on a serious note, I don't think he's earned the job. I think he's earned the first interview though.

I agree. To me, he's earned the right to be taken seriously as a candidate for the full time gig. If he wins a playoff series, then he will have the interim tag stripped away. Needless to say, I don't see that happening.

smj887
04-06-2011, 11:08 PM
Man, I am super excited about the Pacers being back in the playoffs!! I am really hoping to be able to get to tickets for the playoffs...does anyone know when and where is the best place to get the tickets? I will be coming from Chicago, and I can't wait to make the drive. I am off on 4/14-4/17...I hope that at least one Pacers home game is during that time period in Indy.

I've gotten some amazing prices from the scalpers this year, and I'd recommend the same thing if our opponent in the series wasn't a 3 hour drive away with plenty of transplant fans living in the city. My money's on the games selling out, or at least selling well enough that good seats are a pain to find on the secondary market. Get them from the box office if you can. If you've got the testicular fortitude to show up to the game and try to find a deal from scalpers, at least check Craiglist a day or so before. Someone always ends up being unable to attend at the last minute, though for a playoff game that may not hold true.

Infinite MAN_force
04-06-2011, 11:14 PM

I don't believe that for a second. If the Pacers are capable of selling out the occasional regular season game (which they have), then they should have no problem selling out or at least nearly selling out their first home playoff games in 5 years.

I'm not saying they would sell out in an hour or anything, maybe day of game, but I would think they can generate enough buzz to get the place reasonably filled.

That is not to say there won't be Bulls fans. I expect there to be plenty of them, unfortunately.

flox
04-06-2011, 11:17 PM
He hasn't shown much to make me excited that he could be a full time person for the job. Then again, we can certainly do worse, and there are certainly coaches I would want less.

There are at least 2-3 coaches out there right now that I would 100% want over Vogel if he were to be fired today, so we will see. But no is my answer now.

Potentially available upgrades without a coaching job now:
JVG
Mike Fratello
Sloan

Potential Offseason Replacements:
Adelman

Intriguing potential:
Dwane Casey

Unclebuck
04-06-2011, 11:20 PM
I don't believe that for a second. If the Pacers are capable of selling out the occasional regular season game (which they have), then they should have no problem selling out or at least nearly selling out their first home playoff games in 5 years.

I'm not saying they would sell out in an hour or anything, maybe day of game, but I would think they can generate enough buzz to get the place reasonably filled.

That is not to say there won't be Bulls fans. I expect there to be plenty of them, unfortunately.

I hope you are correct. Biggest factor will be how many season ticket holders bought playoff tickets.

Sookie
04-06-2011, 11:24 PM
I agree. To me, he's earned the right to be taken seriously as a candidate for the full time gig. If he wins a playoff series, then he will have the interim tag stripped away. Needless to say, I don't see that happening.

I love how positive he is. He called DC and Dun great one on one defenders. :laugh:

But it's good. You have to know the feel of your team, and with young guys and guys coming off of injuries you NEED to be positive with them and you NEED to be calm. They'll lose confidence quickly if you don't.

The psychology part of Vogel's coaching has impressed me more than anything. I'm not sure about the Xs and Os yet, and I don't know that we'll have an idea of that until you see him get a preseason and really..a moment to breathe and decide how he wants to run an offense, and have the available time to implement it.

flox
04-06-2011, 11:27 PM
I do agree that we probably do not have an accurate assessment of Frank Vogel yet. I certainly wouldn't be upset if he entered the next season as our head coach and see what he can do with a full offseason of preparation.

Eleazar
04-06-2011, 11:38 PM
In the NBA being a great head coach has less to do with the X's and O's than it does being a good manager of the players. If Vogel could get a good X's and O's guy in as his assistant, he would be a great coach. That is why guys like JOB fail as a head coach. They may have the X's and O's down to a science, but they aren't good managers of their team. Give JOB the assistant position and he would most likely do a great job. Give him the head coach position, and unless he is coaching a bunch of vets he is going to struggle.

Kegboy
04-06-2011, 11:57 PM
I hope you are correct. Biggest factor will be how many season ticket holders bought playoff tickets.

I hate to be negative, (oh, wait, forgot who I was for a second), but I'll be surprised if we sell out either game. Frankly, I think the only way we sell out is if we win one of the first two in Chicago.

And no, this isn't about the last few years, either. I remember all those ****ing Pistons fans in the '04 ECF. That was horrible. Absolutely horrible. Probably my worst memory at the Fieldhouse.

Bball
04-07-2011, 12:05 AM
"If"
Thats like saying i will sleep with Megan Fox next week.

No... because there's a mathematical chance the Pacers could win the series...

;)

spazzxb
04-07-2011, 12:07 AM
I accidently voted no, but meant to soon to tell. Truthfully we don,t have the access to make a determination.

vnzla81
04-07-2011, 12:14 AM
Vogel has done a decent job, but like I said at the PD party, whoever was the coach replacing the Clown he was going to look like the next great thing, all Vogel has done is to play the point guards at the point, he is playing the power forwards at the power forward position and has never play Dunleavy at the 4, even a child could have figured that out.

Trader Joe
04-07-2011, 12:17 AM

Please. If he beats Chicago, they'll sign him the next day. They'd have to be morons not to.

Right now though, it's way too early to tell.

ilive4sports
04-07-2011, 12:26 AM
He certainly deserves the first interview. I would really like to hear his longterm plans and systems/changes to current ones that he would implement in the off season. I mean as long as the defense gets completely re hauled and the offense executes the team game idea like they did tonight I would be ok with it.

pacer4ever
04-07-2011, 12:30 AM
hopefully us getting into the playoffs gets us a good coach who is willing to come to indy because we made the playoffs and have some decent young players.

Bball
04-07-2011, 12:30 AM
In an "anybody but O'Brien world" Vogel has some baggage to overcome to become head coach of the Pacers.

He's fortunate to have gotten this time to add something to his resume without O'Brien's fingerprints on it.

OTOH, it's unfortunate that he really wasn't put into a situation where he could totally overhaul the system and show us what a Vogel system would be like. Obviously, he will have the opportunity to explain it in the hiring interview. ...but he'll have to sell his vision to the brass and then execute it with the team...

I do agree with the idea he would be helped greatly with an highly regarded assistant or two. He seems to have the ability to manage the players... having an assistant with some X/O credibility to help him implement and execute his system could be a tipping point. Especially if the Pacers can have a competitive playoff series.

QuickRelease
04-07-2011, 12:40 AM
He hasn't shown much to make me excited that he could be a full time person for the job. Then again, we can certainly do worse, and there are certainly coaches I would want less.

There are at least 2-3 coaches out there right now that I would 100% want over Vogel if he were to be fired today, so we will see. But no is my answer now.

Potentially available upgrades without a coaching job now:
JVG
Mike Fratello
Sloan

Potential Offseason Replacements:
Adelman

Intriguing potential:
Dwane CaseyI'd actually be pretty happy with Adelman.

Zenweezil
04-07-2011, 01:02 AM
I really like Vogel, I think his confidence is contagious with the players. I think as this really young team gets better at the XOs of winning in the NBA, his bravado could help some guys stay focused - especially Roy & Rush.

Also, in the short time he has been coach, I find myself agreeing with most of his rotations and in-game adjustments - as soon as I start thinking a move needs to be made, he makes it. Not that I am a basketball genius, but its nice to finally not be pissed at the coach during Pacer games.

That said, I think unless Vogel pulls off an amazing showing in the playoffs all he has earned is the first interview for meeting the goal of making the playoffs.

I would definitely keep Vogel over Mike Brown who does not impress me at all. However, there are a few coaches that you have to take if you can get them - Jerry Sloan, Jeff Van Gundy, Mike Fratello - they are all proven coaches that would elevate the team instantly. I am also intrigued to see what Bill Laimbeer could do, but would give Vogel a shot first.

croz24
04-07-2011, 01:02 AM
lol get removed from a discussion because of a differing opinion. how typical. didn't direct any negative comments towards board members and continually professed it as being my opinion. if people call me out, i'm going to reply with why i feel how i feel. that's what you do on message boards.

kester99
04-07-2011, 01:20 AM
I was for hiring him even before we clinched. The only thing I'd prefer is if we could lure a top of the line guy here (one who is not 80 yrs old).

If the choice is between Vogel and someone like Mike Brown, give me Vogel all day. I like the idea of a young team with a young enthusiastic coach. If we let Vogel go, we could be kicking ourselves in a couple of years. I'm going with the ridiculous upside choice this time.

Really?
04-07-2011, 01:26 AM
Hummm surprised to see so many yes'

Not sure if the Job as far as wins or losses was that impressive, But I like the job that he did motivating a lot of guys on the team.

P.S. IDK what has gotten into Rush lately.... but I like it... :)

LA_Confidential
04-07-2011, 01:26 AM
lol get removed from a discussion because of a differing opinion. how typical. didn't direct any negative comments towards board members and continually professed it as being my opinion. if people call me out, i'm going to reply with why i feel how i feel. that's what you do on message boards.

Actually your feelings were appropriate for the thread as you stated you were "excited about the series". Your opinion however, "they dont deserve it", was not only inappropriate for a Celebration thread but was contradictory to your own feelings of being "excited about the series".

croz24
04-07-2011, 01:47 AM
Actually your feelings were appropriate for the thread as you stated you were "excited about the series". Your opinion however, "they dont deserve it", was not only inappropriate for a Celebration thread but was contradictory to your own feelings of being "excited about the series".

don't think it's a contradiction at all. i'm a pacers fan so of course i'm excited about the playoffs and the experience the young guys will get from it. but i definitely don't think we deserve it. "technically" we do since we qualified. but it's always been my stance that if you can't at least achieve a .500 or winning record, you do not deserve the playoffs. and once we start celebrating losing records, we will eventually become content with mediocrity.

Constellations
04-07-2011, 03:16 AM
All I want to say it Vogel took took this team when it was 10 games below .500, locker room tribulations, growing pains, immaturity from players and still managed to pound out some great wins and convinced the the NBA Gods to let the 8th seed not take 40+ wins to clinch. He salvaged our imminent 4th straight season and pounded out something WORTH while. I honestly believe he deserves to come back next season in the big boy pants.

Now before people start hating on anything I listed, this is just my opinion on the matter of giving him a CHANCE. We'll see how he does in the playoffs against the Rose Bulls.

D-BONE
04-07-2011, 06:01 AM
Please. If he beats Chicago, they'll sign him the next day. They'd have to be morons not to.

Right now though, it's way too early to tell.

If we beat Chicago, I'll eat my hat!

Knucklehead Warrior
04-07-2011, 06:15 AM
I hope if it is Chicago that at least some bandwagon Pacer fans come to Conseco. I do NOT want to go to those games and see a crapload of Bulls fans....with Indiana license plates..

McKeyFan
04-07-2011, 07:55 AM
If he does that, I'd say make him President in 2012.

Unclebuck
04-07-2011, 08:21 AM
I was for hiring him even before we clinched. The only thing I'd prefer is if we could lure a top of the line guy here (one who is not 80 yrs old).

If the choice is between Vogel and someone like Mike Brown, give me Vogel all day. I like the idea of a young team with a young enthusiastic coach. If we let Vogel go, we could be kicking ourselves in a couple of years. I'm going with the ridiculous upside choice this time.

Mike Brown is a young enthusiastic head coach - he just turned 41 years old.

Vogel is 37 and will turn 38 in June - So Mike Brown is 3 years older.

There might be some good reasons to choose Vogel over Brown, but wanting a younger coach is not one of them.

BRushWithDeath
04-07-2011, 09:37 AM
The only reason you hire Vogel is if guys like Mike Brown or Jeff Van Gundy aren't interested.

LA_Confidential
04-07-2011, 10:12 AM
The only reason you hire Vogel is if guys like Mike Brown or Jeff Van Gundy aren't interested.

I dont think Mike Brown would be a good choice. He is a stained coach. He will always and forever carry the label as Lebrons Lacky. If fans realize it Im certain players notice it to.

Speed
04-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Wells was on one of the talk radio shows 2 days ago and talked about choosing a coach. Something I hadn't considered is this.

Phil Jackson is retiring, Houston needs a coach. Who knows what other openings there might be. It's no slam dunk that Mike Brown will be available for the Pacers. If he is available to the Pacers, it might be awhile before these other teams have made their choice, which could delay the process for the Pacers.

Just something to think about that I had not really considered.

Unclebuck
04-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Wells was on one of the talk radio shows 2 days ago and talked about choosing a coach. Something I hadn't considered is this.

Phil Jackson is retiring, Houston needs a coach. Who knows what other openings there might be. It's no slam dunk that Mike Brown will be available for the Pacers. If he is available to the Pacers, it might be awhile before these other teams have made their choice, which could delay the process for the Pacers.

I'm not convinced that Jackson is retiring, but if he does, I would be shocked if the lakers go outside their organization to hire a coach - Brian Shaw is most likely to replace him. Unless for some reason they decide they need a new approach.

Rockets, who knows what they will do - so Mike Brown is a possibility there. The Rockets are better than the pacers, but Mike knows the pacers organization, so who knows what he would do if both go after him.

Rockets aren't even in the playoffs. So they could go after Mike brown a week from today.

grace
04-07-2011, 10:53 AM
I hate to be negative, (oh, wait, forgot who I was for a second), but I'll be surprised if we sell out either game. Frankly, I think the only way we sell out is if we win one of the first two in Chicago.

And no, this isn't about the last few years, either. I remember all those ****ing Pistons fans in the '04 ECF. That was horrible. Absolutely horrible. Probably my worst memory at the Fieldhouse.

I would have just hit the "thanks" button, but Kegboy hates that so I'll just say I totally agree.

imawhat
04-07-2011, 11:50 AM
I'm not convinced that Jackson is retiring

I am. It's about 99% done, from everything I've heard.

Justin Tyme
04-07-2011, 12:23 PM
I said no. Achieving backing into the playoffs by being the best of the worst with an under .500 record doesn't mean Vogel should automatically get the job as head coach. What if Jimmy had done the same, would you be in favor of him being the HC next year too?

I FIRMLY believe Vogel should get the 1st interview and consideration for how this team has played while coaching it. I like Vogel, but it's not a gimme b/c the Pacers backed into the playoffs with an under .500 record. That doesn't make him an automatic HC for the Pacers. Sliding into the playoffs shouldn't be the criteria to make Vogel HC.

Sookie
04-07-2011, 12:35 PM

Yea, I heard Wells say that..and you know something.

It wouldn't surprise me if some really good coaches do want to come here.

We haven't got the most talent, but we're going in a very good direction. And we're very young and teachable. No Prima Donnas here. Something like that probably does sound good to someone like Wells..who is probably done with the spoiled NBA player.

PaceBalls
04-07-2011, 01:00 PM
I at least want to keep coach Frank for another season. Let's see what he can do with some time to prepare and a training camp. He won't cost much and they can just give him a one year contract. If it goes bad they can always get a different coach afterward.

troyc11a
04-07-2011, 01:07 PM
I want Vogel to return next year. He represents the team well and did a good job considering the system wasn't his to begin with. I dont want another retread coach. I like what we have. Give him the chance!

kester99
04-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Mike Brown is a young enthusiastic head coach - he just turned 41 years old.

Vogel is 37 and will turn 38 in June - So Mike Brown is 3 years older.

There might be some good reasons to choose Vogel over Brown, but wanting a younger coach is not one of them.

Mike Brown's age, or anyone's age (except J. Sloan), does not disqualify them, or qualify them, in my mind. Mike Brown's frustrating tenure at Cleveland does disqualify him, to me.

Vogel's youth really was not what I was getting at as a hiring factor. Perhaps I didn't say it well. His potential, combined with a good start, is what I'd focus on. I think the team and the coach can grow together.

cdash
04-07-2011, 01:31 PM
I dont think Mike Brown would be a good choice. He is a stained coach. He will always and forever carry the label as Lebrons Lacky. If fans realize it Im certain players notice it to.

I disagree. Actually, if anything, I think people appreciate Mike Brown more now that they see how bad Cleveland is and the fact that Miami isn't going gangbusters with the SuperFriends. He's a good coach and well respected within the coaching community.

Unclebuck
04-07-2011, 01:42 PM
I judge a coach most by the team defense he is able to get his team to play and I would give Mike Brown an A+ in this one area that I think the coach has the most influence.

BPump33
04-07-2011, 01:46 PM
I want Frank Vogel as the coach of the Indiana Pacers. I understand why people do not, but I want this coach and this very young core group of guys to grow/learn/play together for years to come. I really think we are at our infancy right now and we are only going to get better the longer these guys play together. Yes, that's a very sunshiner approach, but that's my opinion.

troyc11a
04-07-2011, 03:40 PM
I judge a coach most by the team defense he is able to get his team to play and I would give Mike Brown an A+ in this one area that I think the coach has the most influence.

I mostly feel the same. But this team is playing JOB's defense not Vogel's. When he meets with Bird or whoever, he will have the opportunity to sell his defensive plan. I would like to know what it is first.

As far as Brown goes, didnt he have Lebron James and 4 defensive players on that team? I believe the team was built around defense first and then Lebron doing whatever he wanted on offense.

ilive4sports
04-07-2011, 04:59 PM
I mostly feel the same. But this team is playing JOB's defense not Vogel's. When he meets with Bird or whoever, he will have the opportunity to sell his defensive plan. I would like to know what it is first.

As far as Brown goes, didnt he have Lebron James and 4 defensive players on that team? I believe the team was built around defense first and then Lebron doing whatever he wanted on offense.

Mike Brown has been known as a great defensive coach before he was in Cleveland. He was when he was an assistant here and in San Antonio. I really hate when people just say LeBron is the reason he had success. He is a very good coach. Especially on the defensive end.