PDA

View Full Version : Nancy Lieberman on coaching men vs coaching women

Kstat
04-04-2011, 09:24 PM
Yes this thread is more NBDL related, but I wasn't really sure where to put this.

More importantly, this is one of those, "If Gino Auriemma had said this, he'd be fired tomorrow and forever labeled a misogynist neanderthal" quotes.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree; I don't pretend to know about female issues. Just throwing it out there.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110404/SPORTS18/104040410/Ticker-Nancy-Lieberman-finds-advantages-coaching-men-D-League?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

Ticker: Nancy Lieberman finds advantages to coaching men in D-League
1:52 AM, Apr. 4, 2011 |
Comments

JAMES JAHNKE
DETROIT FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

* Filed Under
* Sports
* Other Sports

The Texas Legends won a double-overtime thriller Saturday night, squeaking into the NBA Development League playoffs in their inaugural season.

Their happy coach? None other than former Shock boss and novelty player Nancy Lieberman.

Hired in November 2009, she had a year to prepare to coach men, and she spent a lot of her money traveling the country as "a human question mark." Her research was so extensive, it included a day with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, seeking advice on something she thought would be crucial to her new job: How can I connect with young black men?

Legends point guard Antonio Daniels said opponents constantly ask him, "What's it like to have a girl coach?"

"The only difference is the fact we can't get dressed in the locker room if she's there," he said. "She knows what she's doing."

Lieberman said there IS one big difference between the D-League and the WNBA, of course.

"You don't have 10 guys ovulating in the same locker room and an emotional wreck," she said. "I mean, that's just a fact. People don't think about that. Men tend to let things go or have it out, where women hold on to it, don't let it go. It's just part of it."

Sookie
04-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Geno's said similar things. (He said that coaching is often about knowing when to say the right things and "we're talking about 12 women..")

But he's also incredibly blunt...

He's also talked about the difference being that women tend to listen to instructions better.

IUfan4life
04-04-2011, 11:10 PM
Is it possible the Geno is overrated? That with the talent gap in women's college basketball that he gets overhyped?

joew8302
04-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Is it possible the Geno is overrated? That with the talent gap in women's college basketball that he gets overhyped?

Sorry, I am just not buying that. Any coach who has even come close to his level of success can not be overrated. Like Geno or hate him he is one of the best basketball coaches to ever live.

Sookie
04-05-2011, 12:06 AM

No.
Geno's the best coach I've ever seen. And I've seen a lot of great coaches.

And you have to get those girls in the first place.

gummy
04-05-2011, 12:22 AM
Geno rubs me the wrong way, but I have to admit he's a great coach. Not the very best I've ever seen, but one of the best for sure.

King Tuts Tomb
04-05-2011, 12:38 AM
More importantly, this is one of those, "If Gino Auriemma had said this, he'd be fired tomorrow and forever labeled a misogynist neanderthal" quotes.

Is that true? Anson Dorrance has been far more successful in women's sports than Geno Auriemma and he's been saying these things for twenty years. People don't like Geno because he's kind of a prick, not because he's a man.