PDA

View Full Version : Rodney Stuckey benched vs. Celtics for insubordination

Basketball Fan
04-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Source: Pistons' Rodney Stuckey benched against Celtics for insubordination
Vincent Goodwill / The Detroit News
Boston -- Pistons guard Rodney Stuckey did not play in Sunday's 101-90 loss to the Boston Celtics.

According to a source close to the situation, Stuckey was benched because he refused to enter the fourth quarter of Friday's game against the Bulls.

Advertisement

"This is a growing process, and we've had a slight setback," coach John Kuester said after the game of Stuckey's not playing.

When Kuester was asked if things were being handled internally, Kuester said, "Yes."

On Friday, Stuckey started the fourth quarter and was removed for Tayshaun Prince with six minutes remaining. Kuester called for Stuckey to come in two minutes later, but the guard refused to re-enter.

The Pistons wound up losing, 101-96, on the night where many former Pistons were in attendance for Dennis Rodman's emotional jersey retirement. After Sunday's game, Stuckey repeatedly said: "There are six games left."

"That's all I have to say," Stuckey said when pressed about it. "Six games left. That's it. I can survive for six games."

Stuckey, who will turn 25 in three weeks, is a restricted free agent at the end of the season, meaning the Pistons can match any offer if Stuckey chooses to sign with another club.

"Absolutely," Stuckey said when asked if he wanted to return. "At the end of the year I have to sit down with my agent, do what we have to do. But yeah, I want to return. I'm very comfortable here. I love the community, I help out a lot around here."

It has been an up-and-down season for Stuckey, one where Pistons president Joe Dumars stated publicly was a big one for the fourth-year combo guard.

Dumars believed Stuckey's development would be aided by having the same coach for two straight seasons, and Stuckey was ready to become more of a vocal leader.

Stuckey and Kuester have butted heads all season, going back to the fifth game of the season in Atlanta. At a stoppage in play, Kuester repeatedly called Stuckey's name in the third quarter but the point guard ignored him. Kuester removed him and Stuckey didn't play the next game as punishment.

There was the infamous shootaround in February which resulted in only six players playing that night in Philadelphia. Stuckey showed up as it was ending and didn't play that night.

Last month, he and Kuester got into it again at practice before the team headed to San Antonio. He didn't start and played 15 minutes that night. Leading into Friday's incident, Kuester told the media before the game he gave Stuckey the option to start against the Bulls or come off the bench.

Stuckey declined, giving Will Bynum the start and after Friday's loss, Kuester credited Bynum for "wanting to play." Kuester has gotten into verbal tiffs with Tayshaun Prince, Richard Hamilton, Charlie Villanueva and Stuckey.

"We all know things need to change around here," said Stuckey, who's averaging 14.7 points and 4.8 assists this season. "For next year, I hope things do. I'm not just speaking for myself but my teammates as well. Just this past year, with everything that's been going on."

"Hopefully changes come."

He was asked specifically what kind of change needed to happen.

"I'm not getting into all of that," he said. "We have six games left. I'll be here for my teammates."

Stuckey said this season's turmoil has taken a toll on him, which is why he's on the countdown until the season finale, April 13 in Philadelphia.

"Mentally, mentally, I'm mentally drained," Stuckey said. "Hopefully I can get through these six games and we'll see what happens next year."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110404/SPORTS0102/104040360/Source--Pistons’-Rodney-Stuckey-benched-against-Celtics-for-insubordination#ixzz1IZTgH4eO

travmil
04-04-2011, 12:16 PM
When Kuester was asked if things were being handled internally, Kuester said, "Yes."

----------------------------------------------

Umm....yes, except for this part where I'm talking to the press about it, everything is completely internal.

duke dynamite
04-04-2011, 12:24 PM
That Pistons team this year has been nothing but one big dumpster fire.

BillS
04-04-2011, 01:01 PM

----------------------------------------------

Umm....yes, except for this part where I'm talking to the press about it, everything is completely internal.

This was an interview, not a press conference. What did he say that blasted this into the public media? He didn't go after Stuckey (I'd guarantee you it'd be the headline and be quoted all through the article if he did". What was he supposed to say?

If he hadn't said anything, he'd have been accused of stonewalling or of closing his eyes to a situation he did not wish to acknowledge.

CableKC
04-04-2011, 01:52 PM
The Pistons wound up losing, 101-96, on the night where many former Pistons were in attendance for Dennis Rodman's emotional jersey retirement. After Sunday's game, Stuckey repeatedly said: "There are six games left."

"That's all I have to say," Stuckey said when pressed about it. "Six games left. That's it. I can survive for six games."

Stuckey, who will turn 25 in three weeks, is a restricted free agent at the end of the season, meaning the Pistons can match any offer if Stuckey chooses to sign with another club.

"Absolutely," Stuckey said when asked if he wanted to return. "At the end of the year I have to sit down with my agent, do what we have to do. But yeah, I want to return. I'm very comfortable here. I love the community, I help out a lot around here."
This quote from Stuckey is very telling if you ask me. It's quite obvious that Stuckey has some issue with Kuester. He's simply waiting out 6 games and is on "cruise control".

With all these on/off court issues, I don't blame the Coaching Staff for the "ups and downs" of this season...since the Players are acting more like children then Professional Players....but you have to wonder if there is going to be a major change in either the roster or the Coaching Staff in the offseason. IMHO...this environment isn't healthy for the younger Players ( Daye, Monroe or Jerebko ) for their development.

and before someone says it, yes....if I were running the Pacers FO...I'd simply try to make a run at Stuckey in the Offseason...even if Stuckey is a RFA and the Pistons can match any offer he gets. There's no harm in trying.

Brad8888
04-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Would the Pistons entertain sign and trade options with Stuckey, and if so would they even consider the Pacers as trading partners, violating the unwritten rule of never trading within your division?

Trophy
04-04-2011, 03:24 PM
That team has a lot of talent, young and old.

Kuester holds that team back by being a selfish baby.

If I were him, I'd play my best players no matter what.

At most a 1 game suspension, but nothing as long as what he did to Rip.

In this case, I sure as hell wouldn't bench my young PG.

shags
04-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Would the Pistons entertain sign and trade options with Stuckey, and if so would they even consider the Pacers as trading partners, violating the unwritten rule of never trading within your division?

Pistons aren't in a position to be picky about trade partners. They have to make the best trades for the franchise.

Califan
04-04-2011, 09:16 PM
So Rodney Chuckey is becoming a team cancer? I'm not surprised, he has been immature since he got to detroit ask any pistons fan, dumars needs to keep monroe,jerebko, daye, white etc away from those kind of players, because the attitude is infectious to those around them. PS: Im just glad theres not much of that on this team.

xIndyFan
04-04-2011, 09:26 PM
this kind of things seems a little silly to me. especially for a guy in his contract year. stupid stuff like this could cost this guy a million bucks or so. that is a high price to pay for acting like a dick just because you want to. like i said, silly.

CableKC
04-04-2011, 11:05 PM
I would have no problem violating that rule if we get the better player.....not so sure the Pistons would consider it though.

Anthem
04-04-2011, 11:22 PM
Not sure what we could offer Detroit that would help them.

But then, if I wanted to help a franchise, my first advice would be "Don't throw your cap space at CharlieV and Ben Gordon."

CableKC
04-05-2011, 02:55 AM
Not sure what we could offer Detroit that would help them.

But then, if I wanted to help a franchise, my first advice would be "Don't throw your cap space at CharlieV and Ben Gordon."
Ouch..... :burn:

AesopRockOn
04-05-2011, 03:51 AM
The mutiny has been the most underreported NBA story this year.

Richard_Skull
04-05-2011, 04:19 AM
If we had a leader in our locker room, I'd be all for taking Stuckey. Even consider DC for him.

Basketball Fan
04-05-2011, 08:07 AM
The mutiny has been the most underreported NBA story this year.

Well when you have the defending champion Lakers, resurgent Knicks and the Heat vs the World something had to give..

And its easier when its a woeful team from the Midwest

Hicks
04-05-2011, 10:43 AM
What a cluster****.