PDA

View Full Version : I want Dahntay back in the lineup

McKeyFan
04-04-2011, 08:02 AM
Yeah, I know. He's Dahntay. Can be a black hole on offense. Whines a bit too much. Lost a game once failing to pass it inbounds within five seconds.

But for our team he is an x-factor. When he's on, he's really on. He creates his own shot, hits big shots, and-1's and threes. And we all know he can play smashmouth defense (not always, but fairly often).

In other words, Paul George and Rush can be decent thoroughbreds when playing well, but they don't have the ability to really change things, to be an x-factor, the way Dahntay can. Not only that, but he brings leadership and a fierce competitor like attitude than no other player on the team really can. Maybe Foster.

For the playoffs, the only chance we have to win a few games is for someone like Dahntay to show up as really good Dahntay. PG or Rush show up as good, we are a little better. Dahntay shows up good, we can be real good.

I think the same can be said of Dunleavy vs. Dahntay, but I've settled the idea that Dun will be in the rotation.

Dahntay can be real bad and he can be real good. We need to roll the dice, throw the hail Mary, play Dahntay down the stretch, and hope for the best.

LucasRL13
04-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Yeah, I know. He's Dahntay. Can be a black hole on offense. Whines a bit too much. Lost a game once failing to pass it inbounds within five seconds.

But for our team he is an x-factor. When he's on, he's really on. Hit creates his own shot, hits big shots, and-1's and threes. And we all know he can play smashmouth defense (not always, but fairly often).

In other words, Paul George and Rush can be decent thoroughbreds when playing well, but they don't have the ability to really change things, to be an x-factor, the way Dahntay can. Not only that, but he brings leadership and a fierce competitor like attitude than no other player on the team really can. Maybe Foster.

For the playoffs, the only chance we have to win a few games is for someone like Dahntay to show up as really good Dahntay. PG or Rush show up as good, we are a little better. Dahntay shows up good, we can be real good.

I think the same can be said of Dunleavy vs. Dahntay, but I've settled the idea that Dun will be in the rotation.

Dahntay can be real bad and he can be real good. We need to roll the dice, throw the hail Mary, play Dahntay down the stretch, and hope for the best.

Great post
I think the same way

Unclebuck
04-04-2011, 08:23 AM
I thought we wanted the young guys who were part of our future (George and Rush) to get playoff experience. And I thought the best way to do that is to play a lot in playoff games, down the stretch of close playoff games.

And no way the paceers came play 5 wings - not possible, so D. Jones needs to sit.

vnzla81
04-04-2011, 08:26 AM
Well, the offense looks prettier in the second unit with Dunleavy and that is all that matters, DJ's game is ugly and we don't need that........

yoadknux
04-04-2011, 08:56 AM
The good about Dahntay is that he's experienced, looks cheerful, and is a decent defender. But his offense is bad, and he tends to try the same things over and over again (kinda banging his head against the wall)
He's better than George, and I guess that with Jones we have slightly better chances to win, but still I prefer George because he develops when he gets minutes

McKeyFan
04-04-2011, 09:01 AM
I thought we wanted the young guys who were part of our future (George and Rush) to get playoff experience. And I thought the best way to do that is to play a lot in playoff games, down the stretch of close playoff games.

And no way the paceers came play 5 wings - not possible, so D. Jones needs to sit.
My primary argument for playing the younger guys was that they give us a better chance to win. And I think that argument has proven to be true.

Dahntay was never the vet keeping the younger guys from playing. JOB benched him too.

When the question came up of who to sit with Dun coming back, I said Rush. I don't see Rush as part of our future—I think he'll get traded. So, the argument of playing young guys to gain experience in the playoffs works for PG, but not Rush (imo).

I do think playing Dahntay from here on out gives us a better chance to win.

Justin Tyme
04-04-2011, 09:27 AM
I don't see Rush as part of our future—I think he'll get traded.

I couldn't agrre more. Only those with their heads stuck in the sand can't see that after Rush has almost been traded the last 2 years at the trade deadline. It's obvious the present FO doesn't see Rush as part of the core going forward.

I agree with you that if Rush isn't going to be part of the core then play Dahntay who has 2 more years on his contract. Another factor of playing Dahntay is he has playoff experience, so why give Rush the minutes for playoff experience if he's not part of the future?

Lou Bega
04-04-2011, 09:51 AM
8th seed with an "interm" coach and nothing to lose. Why not put D Jones and B Rush on the court at the same time vs Boston in a playoff series. Rush has the best chance to successfully chase Ray Allen & contest his 3's. I would like to see D Jones try to check Rondo at times.

Spirit
04-04-2011, 09:56 AM
I don't like Rush or Dahntay, so to me it really doesn't matter who plays.

McKeyFan
04-04-2011, 10:08 AM
I don't like Rush or Dahntay, so to me it really doesn't matter who plays.
Sometimes I don't like Dahntay.

But we've got to take a chance and swing for the fence if we hope to win some playoff games.

vnzla81
04-04-2011, 10:23 AM
By the way, you can change the SG's and PF's all you want but as long as the starting three(DC,Danny,Roy) keep taking games off nothing is going to change.

sportfireman
04-04-2011, 10:53 AM
I personally would bench Dun...... Jones is a solid vet with playoff expierence who can put pressure on the oppositions defense with his will to drive to the basket. Something we need. Yes he can get selfish sometimes, but I say play DJ and bench Dun....

Infinite MAN_force
04-04-2011, 10:56 AM
I wish Chicago J still posted because I know he feels exactly the same way about D. Jones as I do.

tora tora
04-04-2011, 11:14 AM
I prefer George because he develops when he gets minutes
How does he develop when all he does is camp behind the 3 point line?

I personally would bench Dun...... Jones is a solid vet with playoff expierence who can put pressure on the oppositions defense with his will to drive to the basket. Something we need. Yes he can get selfish sometimes, but I say play DJ and bench Dun....
No way, Dunleavy's been playing great since he's return. He looks like he's hungry for some playoff action and it shows after his "I'm ready" speech in a postgame inteview a while back.

Pacergeek
04-04-2011, 11:15 AM
The good about Dahntay is that he's experienced, looks cheerful, and is a decent defender. But his offense is bad, and he tends to try the same things over and over again (kinda banging his head against the wall)
He's better than George, and I guess that with Jones we have slightly better chances to win, but still I prefer George because he develops when he gets minutes

not sure that Paul George is developing at all. he looks like the same exact player that he was in the beginning of the season. troubling that he hasn't really improved since becoming a starter. i think you need to start Dahntay, and bench PG for the playoffs. i want to try to win in the playoffs.

tora tora
04-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Start Dunleavy and mix it up between Rush and Jones.

pacergod2
04-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Dear God, please don't start Dunleavy at SG. Ever. Don't let his defensive weaknesses be such a huge burden on the team. He can't play SG. He is way too slow. I don't give a damn about his team defense unless it is on the second unit at SF.

Dunleavy for 15 minutes behind Granger is great. No more than that though. Rush and George should get the minutes. Taking any minutes away from those two reduces their continuity. If you mke the decision to replace one of those two with Dahntay, then I say the same thing. I just prefer both Rush and George.

Speed
04-04-2011, 12:23 PM
I want D Jones to play, but only if he's going to be used in the right way.

Just like Denver used to.

Limited minutes, guarding the best wing or even the bigger Point Guards, let him get under their skin, and I'd also post him up if you put him on a equal or smaller player.

D Jones is NOT a lock down defender over an extended period of time. On a given possessions or a brief set of possession, I think he is or at the very least a physical pain in arse defender. That is a valuable tool.

For instance, if the Pacers make the playoffs, if they get the Bulls, I'd give him 10 minutes a game to foul the crap out of/get in your face on D Rose as a momentum changer.

Look no one likes to be man handled, D Jones can bring that mentality at the small wing, big Point Guard position.

I'd punish people on both ends. You may not win the plus/minus during that stint, but I think you establish some doubt and invite the opposition to play outside their comfort zone by being overly aggressive in response.

Its a kind of a risky strategy, but if you can have D Jones, Hansbrough, and Foster on the court together for 6-8 minutes every half, every playoff game, I think you might set a certain tone that this isn't a 1st round walk over.

At the very least if your getting questionable intensity at any point in the game this might change that.

I'd probably stick with Brandon, his 3 pt range is a game changer when your contending anyway, I'd still have Dunleavy in when things are going good, I'd still play George for the experience and his defense. If things start to get soft or momentum starts to swing, I'd bring in DJones to set the tone.

Phree Refill
04-04-2011, 12:32 PM
If your talking about hail marys in the playoffs then may as well activate Ford.

Speed
04-04-2011, 12:41 PM
If your talking about hail marys in the playoffs then may as well activate Ford.

I see it more complex than that.

D Jones has played and played well recently. D Jones has shown in the playoffs he can be a pain/tempo setting defender.

TJ has had one foot out of the door for two years and to me, brings more negatives than positives, even in spurts.

I don't see D Jones as a hail mary, but I do see what you're saying. I see it more as a strategic possiblity, situationally.

There's a different level of physical and mental toughness required in the playoffs that I'm not sure Dunleavy, BRush, Paul George can understand at this point. I think D Jones can and would bring that in spurts. It might set the tone, it might be contagious.

Side Note: I've never been and I am still not a DJones guy in any way, but I do see some value in what McKey is saying for sure.

DemonHunter1105
04-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Only those with their heads stuck in the sand can't see that after Rush has almost been traded the last 2 years at the trade deadline.

Maybe because we were trying to upgrade a position and he is what other teams were interested in? If it was anybody but CHA the first time, he would have been traded. The second time it was screwed up in all of the deadline chaos.

I do not see it as we really want to get rid of him, he is just a good player that other teams want and we are willing to concede to try and get a deal done. Unless there is a good deal that comes along, I don't get why we don't keep him. He is a good defender, shoots the 3, and maybe most importantly...he is CHEAP.

dal9
04-04-2011, 12:44 PM
The good about Dahntay is that he [...] looks cheerful [...]
this is the deciding factor for me too...

but seriously, i'd bench dunleavy for jones...potentially, george for jones if he does not get it in gear....

Sookie
04-04-2011, 12:52 PM

Even at their worst I'll take DC and AJ over Ford.

DC, at his worst is TJ with a jump shot. That's still better than TJ. And I'll take Price going 1-15 over TJ dribbling the ball for 20 seconds jumping up in the air at about the free throw line and throwing it to the other team any day of the week.

As for dahntay..it depends on what we want. Honestly, if we want to steal a few games in the playoffs..the SG rotation should be Dahntay and Dun, with Rush and Paul splitting the rest of the time.

But I wouldn't do that. I wouldn't bench anyone either. Play all five, just have your order. Paul is starter, Rush comes in first, if they aren't doing anything, try Dahntay. (Dun backs up Danny)

Some say teams should cut down on their depth in the playoffs, but that would be a massive mistake for us. The fact that we can go 11 deep and not lose anything helps us. And the second unit tends to mesh pretty well regardless of whose in it, so long as AJ and Jeff are there.

DemonHunter1105
04-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Even at their worst I'll take DC and AJ over Ford.

DC, at his worst is TJ with a jump shot. That's still better than TJ. And I'll take Price going 1-15 over TJ dribbling the ball for 20 seconds jumping up in the air at about the free throw line and throwing it to the other team any day of the week.

You have to give him his pogo stick fade away jumper at the end of shot clocks though, he can hit that...oh wait it makes my eyes bleed even when it goes in somehow.

Naptown_Seth
04-04-2011, 01:03 PM

I agree.

However I can see the case being made to reduce Paul's role for a few games since he seems to be struggling and might just need a break, and Jones has been an effective scorer this season. And in that way he might help facilitate the improvement of the other young kids he's out there with.

OTOH, while it might be tough to have Paul struggle now, next year we'll all be glad he faced it and learned some tough lessons.

This team IS NOT going to win a title this year, and might not even stay within 20 points in any of the road playoff games. That's okay. Having the YOUNG PLAYERS as the central figures in the playoff chase and series was the goal for a reason - so that next year and the year after as the team improves these kids stop being unknown, wet-behind-the-ears players and start being your core VETS.

This is how you go from green to seasoned. It's painful. Someone else already used the term growing PAINS weeks ago.

Naptown_Seth
04-04-2011, 01:14 PM
I want D Jones to play, but only if he's going to be used in the right way.

Just like Denver used to.

etc
Great post Speed, agree right down the line with your strategy, especially a short burst of DJ on Rose to physically disrupt him while not lingering so long that you let the plan wear out it's welcome. A little Pippen on Jax treatment payback to Chicago.

I know Rush has been in a slump until recently and I realize that Bird (let's keep JOB forever) has tried to trade him, but that doesn't mean Bird's right and it doesn't dismiss the many good games Rush has had and the impact he brings when he's playing right.

Granger has easily ruined more games just this season than Rush has ruined in his entire career, meaning having such a negative impact with poor defense and bad volume shooting that the team struggles to recover.

Rush was on the bench while the team dropped to 10-20 points behind MANY nights, so by all means get him out of here.

Rush, Josh and Price all give you what they are paid to give. When Rush gets 7-8m to do what he's doing and gets 30 mpg as well, THEN we can talk about what a problem he is for the team.

Since day 1 it's always been Rush vs "what I want Rush to be for $3m a year". What he is is fine, what you want him to be is UNREALISTIC. Good luck getting that guy with that pick and/or for that money.

Pssst - there's a reason Memphis wants to trade a top 5 pick after 2 years.

Phree Refill
04-09-2011, 08:30 PM

Larry obviously reads PD. He made up some bullsh*t story about Lance violating team rules so he could magically bring back Ford for the playoffs. Here's to you, Larry Legend :buddies:

kester99
04-09-2011, 09:33 PM
I missed this thread somehow. Just wanted to say, since Dahntay's offense was knocked herein....he has the 2nd best FG% and 2nd best Points per Shot on the team, trailing McBob in both categories. He has the 3rd highest points per minute, after Danny and Tyler.

He's effective. I hope he plays. He's with us until 2013 at this point. Use him before Rush.

Eleazar
04-09-2011, 09:54 PM
Rush, Josh and Price all give you what they are paid to give. When Rush gets 7-8m to do what he's doing and gets 30 mpg as well, THEN we can talk about what a problem he is for the team.

Since day 1 it's always been Rush vs "what I want Rush to be for $3m a year". What he is is fine, what you want him to be is UNREALISTIC. Good luck getting that guy with that pick and/or for that money.

Pssst - there's a reason Memphis wants to trade a top 5 pick after 2 years.

Exactly, what people want from Rush is to basically be a better shooting Granger who actually gives 100% on defense 100% of the time. That is also what people want George to be. While both of them do have the gifts to, Rush doesn't have the personality to.

ChristianDudley
04-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Does anybody remember Dahntay with the Nuggets in the playoffs back a few seasons ago?? Well, Dahntay carried those Nuggets to the Western Conference Finals. You say Melo did?? No way!! It was Dahntay. Dahntay had to guard the other team's best perimeter scorer/player and he did so excellently. He totally stalled Chris Paul and it made the Hornets play their worst basketball of the season in their playoff series against New Orleans. He held Jason Terry to hardly any points at all combined in the whole series. He made Kobe about the angriest I've ever seen!! He was a big-time Kobe-stopper in their series against the Lakers. I would LOVE to see Dahntay get a little bit of a chance starting with Game 1 guarding Derrick Rose to see how that would go--it may also help out Collison. I'd rather see Dahntay guard Rose some while Collison switched to guarding the 2 so that all he'd have to worry about guarding would be Keith Bogans. On offense, of course DC would run the point and Dahntay would go back to just playing a wing position. Just think about it for a second...and actually think, don't just blow this idea off as I think this could be effective. Just my 2 cents worth, though.

LA_Confidential
04-09-2011, 10:14 PM
I smell delusion in the air. No way should PG be benched and no way should Rush not be his back up. Dahntay's job should be to play spot minutes and be given special assignments like covering Rose. Thats why he was signed in the first place.

Mike and Rush are doing exactly what we need them to do, Catch and Shoot. Danhtay cant do that so he stagnates the offense. Honestly the only time he should be on the floor is if Danny is too.

12 Man Roster

Roy,Jeff
Tyler,Josh
Danny,Mike
PG,Rush,Dahntay
DC,AJ,TJ

Posey, Solo and Lance can wear suits.

troyc11a
04-09-2011, 10:20 PM

If DJ sits - the young guys can have 4 games experience. If anyone sits it should be Rush. Somebody has to play defense in the playoffs and DJ is the only wing we have who plays anything that resembles defense among our wings.