PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Sloan would listen if another team approached him

The Future
04-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Not done yet?

Jerry Sloan declared "I'm not looking for another job" when he resigned in February as Utah's coach after 23 seasons there, but he hasn't necessarily retired for good.

Sloan would listen if another team approached him, according to a source who has spoken to Sloan recently, and would seriously consider the right situation. But he won't actively seek another job or have anyone campaign for him. Almost alone among NBA coaches, Sloan, who turned 69 a week ago, doesn't have an agent.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/119097679.html

BringJackBack
04-03-2011, 11:58 AM
:signit: !!!!

Ozwalt72
04-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Interesting. I wonder what would be the "right situation." Does he want to inherit a playoff roster or does he want personnel control?

Kegboy
04-03-2011, 12:14 PM
As has been discussed before, the case can be made that we could be an attractive position to him, more so than for other premium candidates. I think Herb's hands off nature would appeal to him, especially after what he just went through. A lot would depend on how he gets along with Bird, or whomever takes his place.

Vogel's done a great job, no doubt about it (except from the loon fringe, you know who you are ;).) But if we could get Sloan, this is an absolute, slam dunk hire. Yes, his sets are boring and predictable. But they get results, and so would he. No, he's not won a title, and he most probably never will. But he's an exceptional coach who would institute a winning tradition and would leave the franchise much better than he found it.

pacerwaala
04-03-2011, 02:00 PM
As has been discussed before, the case can be made that we could be an attractive position to him, more so than for other premium candidates. I think Herb's hands off nature would appeal to him, especially after what he just went through. A lot would depend on how he gets along with Bird, or whomever takes his place.

Vogel's done a great job, no doubt about it (except from the loon fringe, you know who you are ;).) But if we could get Sloan, this is an absolute, slam dunk hire. Yes, his sets are boring and predictable. But they get results, and so would he. No, he's not won a title, and he most probably never will. But he's an exceptional coach who would institute a winning tradition and would leave the franchise much better than he found it.

I agree with you about SLoan being a slam dunk hire but his sets are predictable but definitely not boring. I think that his how basketball should be played.

gummy
04-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Yes, his sets are boring and predictable. But they get results, and so would he. No, he's not won a title, and he most probably never will. But he's an exceptional coach who would institute a winning tradition and would leave the franchise much better than he found it.

I agree with this all of this but the fact that he most probably never will win a title gives me pause. Why would we want to hire a coach that we think most likely won't win a championship? To me our ultimate goal is championship and so I'd rather have a coach I think has the potential to win one instead of one whose potential to win one I doubt. This is especially true when it comes to a coach as experienced as Sloan, because he is who he is at this point - he's not likely to show us anything new that suddenly makes him look like a championship coach.

I certainly wouldn't cry if he became our coach and we all long for the days when the Pacers were a perennial playoff team, but I don't want to feel like I am settling for that.

Kid Minneapolis
04-03-2011, 03:28 PM
Love Sloan. His age is the one factor that makes me hedge. How long-term of a solution could he really be?

pwee31
04-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Even if he's only around a few years, he makes the team and organization a lot better in those couple of years.

It depends on who's available long term wise. If you really want a Mike Brown and the feeling is mutual, you likely go after him as a long term solution.

If you're not sold on Brown or vice versa, and you don't have anyone else that really interests you, then you make a pitch to Jerry Sloan and let him do his things.

The way Karl Malone, Boozer and even Millsap have worked out, I think Tyler would be very successful, and Collison would have a great chance at being a better PG as well.

ilive4sports
04-03-2011, 04:04 PM
I agree with this all of this but the fact that he most probably never will win a title gives me pause. Why would we want to hire a coach that we think most likely won't win a championship? To me our ultimate goal is championship and so I'd rather have a coach I think has the potential to win one instead of one whose potential to win one I doubt. This is especially true when it comes to a coach as experienced as Sloan, because he is who he is at this point - he's not likely to show us anything new that suddenly makes him look like a championship coach.

I certainly wouldn't cry if he became our coach and we all long for the days when the Pacers were a perennial playoff team, but I don't want to feel like I am settling for that.

If it weren't for Michael Jordan the Jazz could of won two titles. Jerry Sloan is definitely a coach that can win a championship. I can't believe you would say he isn't a championship coach. What coach could we get is one if Jerry Sloan isnt?

Naptown_Seth
04-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Sloan + great passing, solid handles, hoppy, agile PF who loves to set shot screens for Dun and sneak backdoor for alley-oops.

Has there ever been a match more perfect? I say no.

Sloan's whole thing is frontline guys doing tons of passing and coming out high to run PnR with each other rather than just with the PG. Passing between bigs is key for him, and Vogel has already been working with Josh and Roy as passing play initiators.

Add to this Tyler's PnPop new found strength and you've got perfect threats for him to work with.

Plus as many of us have said, guys like Rush need/want structure rather than make-it-up-as-you-go-along offense.

Gamble1
04-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Love Sloan. His age is the one factor that makes me hedge. How long-term of a solution could he really be?
My thoughts exactly.

After seeing what JOB did to Roys confidence I am not sure Sloan would be a good fit for him.

I am hoping for a players coach in the future.

SMosley21
04-03-2011, 05:27 PM
If we don't keep Frank Vogel I'd be all for going after Sloan. I think Frank could be a great coach, given time though. I'm not anxious to see him go.

d_c
04-03-2011, 05:33 PM
If it weren't for Michael Jordan the Jazz could of won two titles. Jerry Sloan is definitely a coach that can win a championship. I can't believe you would say he isn't a championship coach. What coach could we get is one if Jerry Sloan isnt?

I'm in total disbelief about anyone who wouldn't want Jerry Sloan as their coach unless they already have a coach named Phil Jackson or Greg Poppovich.

What makes anyone think Mike Brown is more likely to win you a championship than Jerry Sloan? Yeah, if you want to blame anyone for Sloan not winning a championship, blame Michael Jordan and Phil Jackson (and Jordan in particular). Sloan just couldn't beat those guys, so that's the reason you wouldn't want him?

Also consider that their aren't a lot of coaches running around that have NBA titles. Phil Jackson, Doc Rivers, and Greg Poppovich are the only 3 head coaches in the league right now that have won championships as head coaches. And Phil is about to retire, leaving only Doc and Pop. People need to consider that when they get all snobbish about how they have to have a coach who they absolutely know can win them a title.

vnzla81
04-03-2011, 05:39 PM
How about NO? why a guy like Sloan is going to come to a place like the Pacers?

BlueNGold
04-03-2011, 05:47 PM
I love the way Sloan coaches the game. Also, he may be a hard-guy, but he's sensible, fair and does not coach gimmick basketball. I like Frank, but Jerry Sloan is one of the better coaches over the last 20 years.

O'Braindead
04-03-2011, 05:48 PM

Why not? We have a top three youngest starting lineup in the NBA, we are an above .500 team with a rookie coach, he can have a lot of control, he has a pair of good passing bigs (Hansbrough is not one of them), and $30 million dollars in cap space. We also don't have any divas for him to deal with. Out of realistic destinations for him, where would he rather go?

Heck Jerry Sloan could probably even set Lance Stephenson straight.

.603 winning percentage, 16 straight winning seasons, and 11 consecutive winning seasons. I love Vogel, but I would have to take Sloan over him. Sloan is a Hall of Fame guy and any fan should love the idea of having him here for 2-3 years to set a winning tradition in place. He's a top three coach in the league right now.

daschysta
04-03-2011, 05:50 PM

He is from indiana isn't he? Evansville star?

If he wants to retire/ finish his career back home it's not so bad, plus were young and have alot of room to improve, a good coach can eally put his mark on a young team like this one.

vnzla81
04-03-2011, 05:52 PM

If he wants to retire/ finish his career back home it's not so bad, plus were young and have alot of room to improve, a good coach can eally put his mark on a young team like this one.

The rumors is that he left Utah because they were going into rebuilding mode, why would he want to rebuild here?

grace
04-03-2011, 06:01 PM

I'm not sure if his son Brian is still in Indy. He was an ER doc at Wishard. If Jerry takes the Pacers' job (and IMO that's a big if) it will be because he wants to be closer to his kids.

Kaufman
04-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Jerry would bring instant recruiting credibility that we as a city don't have on our own. in other words, players would come play here just to play for him.

diamonddave00
04-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Sorry even being an old guy myself I'd prefer a younger Coach than the 69 year old Jerry Sloan this team is years away from a title run. Bring in a younger coach who will be able to build for that run.

Tom White
04-03-2011, 06:09 PM

I don't think he is originally from Indiana, but I think he played for Vincennes. Seems to me he is from Illinois.

Anyway, to answer the question as to why he would do it. Because it is Indiana. He is well aware how much basketball is cherished in this state. I'm sure he also knows how well he would be received by fans wanting to see their team play the game the right way. My guess would be that there is likely a healthy mutual respect between he and Bird. They both played hard, with a take no prisoners style to their games.

diamonddave00
04-03-2011, 06:10 PM
Sloan is from Illinois but did play his college ball at then Division 2 Evansville.

The Jackson shimmy
04-03-2011, 06:34 PM
For those concerned about the 'long term', define long term ?

The chances of ANY head coach the Pacers hire at this point
still being here if/when the Pacers win an NBA Title are slim and
none (well actually, none, but I'm being generous).

If Sloan is a guy who could get the Pacers back to a point where
they are winning 50ish games and a playoff series before walking
off into the sunset, then he's a slam-dunk hire.

HC
04-03-2011, 06:39 PM

You say why Indiana, and in the same breat mention NO as a possiblity. I don't get it.:shrug:

sportfireman
04-03-2011, 06:41 PM
I personally would like Mike Brown but I would love to have a HOF coach like Sloan even if only for a few yrs, he might be 69 yrs old but he's a lot better than what we are used to around here. Honestly Vogel is better than what we had. I personally would prefer Mike Brown.

Trophy
04-03-2011, 06:42 PM
I don't think he'd have to worry about demanding respect from these players.

There's good guys on this roster so he can come here and discipline them to play the right way.

I don't know if at this stage of his career he's going to want to be a coach of a young, developing team.

I thought the same thing prior to the Bobcats naming Larry Brown their coach, so I guess anything is possible.

wintermute
04-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Agreed with most posters that Sloan would be great for this team.

The age thing does concern me, but not overly so. Hubie Brown was hired by Memphis at age 69, where he lasted 2 full seasons before retiring. Larry Brown was 68 when hired by Charlotte, also lasted just a bit over 2 seasons before getting sacked. If health permits, seems reasonable to expect we could get 2 seasons out of Coach Sloan. Not great but Pacer coaches typically last 3-4 years only anyway.

IndyPacer
04-03-2011, 06:58 PM
I can't believe I hadn't considered Sloan as a possibility. I was stunned with his departure. Sloan would be great for this team.

Pacerized
04-03-2011, 08:11 PM
I can't think of another coach that's available that I'd take over Sloan. I think he'd look at our young core, salary position and the fact that we're ready to come out of a rebuild faze and contend with just 1 or 2 pick ups. The Jazz are in salary limbo and are just starting a rebuild faze.
I'd love to see Larry stay and hire Sloan.

Justin Tyme
04-03-2011, 08:35 PM
He is from indiana isn't he?

No, McLeansboro, IL.

vnzla81
04-03-2011, 08:44 PM
You say why Indiana, and in the same breat mention NO as a possiblity. I don't get it.:shrug:

Is was meant to be a big no, my bad.

gummy
04-03-2011, 08:59 PM

Yes, that all makes good sense. Saying he is not a championship coach was certainly an overstatement. I've no problem admitting that I agreed with Kegboy's assertion that Sloan probably never would win a championship based more on gut feelings than anything rational. Carry on.

Unclebuck
04-03-2011, 10:26 PM
If Sloan wants to coach here, you hire him, end of story. It is a no-brainer

Eleazar
04-03-2011, 10:48 PM
The rumors is that he left Utah because they were going into rebuilding mode, why would he want to rebuild here?

There is a difference between a team just starting to rebuild, and a team that has gone through the process of rebuilding and has brought together a young and talented group that is looking to take the next step towards a championship.

LA_Confidential
04-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Ive been banging the drum for Bill Laimbeer all season but if Jerry Sloan is even remotely interested you have to be a fool to pass him up.

indygeezer
04-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Could we get Karl Malone to come along with him to coach the front line? :devil:

BlueNGold
04-03-2011, 11:10 PM
I hope Jerry comes here, but I cannot imagine anyone moving to Indianapolis from out west. I'm sure he can pick and choose a more desirable situation.

CableKC
04-04-2011, 12:25 AM
Could we get Karl Malone to come along with him to coach the front line? :devil:
Better yet, can Sloan simply convince Malone to lace up his shoes again so that DC can have a better Pick and Roll partner at the PF spot?

MaHa3000
04-04-2011, 12:59 AM
Get Jerry Sloan now!!! All other canidates would be lucky to be one of his assistants.

This is the kind of move that would bring winning basketball back to Indy. This is the guy we absolutely have to go after. And now is the perfect time.

Constellations
04-04-2011, 02:25 AM
Sloan >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> M. Brown

humboldtpacer
04-04-2011, 02:59 AM
I think if Sloan has any desire to coach for the pacers, we have to jump on it. I have to wonder, what are the other playoff teams that might be looking for coaches this summer?

Perhaps Jerry Sloan could have the same kind of effect on this Pacers team as Larry Brown did on the early 90's Pacers...

mattie
04-04-2011, 04:13 AM
The Pacers have a lot of talent. Whether they can ever turn that into actual good play is a big question mark. But with all that talent, I think Sloan would absolutely love the opportunity to coach here. Coaches love players who want to learn, they love hard workers, and they love talent. Indy has all of the above.

I also tend to think Sloan would have just an incredible effect on guys like Collison and Hibbert. Really, I think it would be a win-win for both parties.

15th parallel
04-04-2011, 05:01 AM
Getting Sloan to coach the Pacers if there is a chance can be a huge, huge win for this franchise. There are so many advantages of getting Sloan to coach the Pacers:

Motivation - what better way to motivate the young guys than to be coached by one of the best in the business?

Respect and Stability - the players will show respect to him, and will instill discipline in the locker room, thus avoiding those locker room incidents they had in the past.

Winning atmosphere - the success Sloan had with Utah will give the players and the fans a solid proof that with him at the helm, there is no other direction but to win, and become a winning team.

Influence - just having the name Sloan coaching the Pacers can certainly attract top-tier talents at the FA. And if his first season can be a success, then it is much easier to pursue bigger names in the offseason.

Talent Development - Karl Malone, John Stockton, Jeff Malone, Jeff Hornacek, Deron Williams, Carlos Boozer, Andrei Kirilenko, Paul Millsap and Memeth Okur have their careers flourished under Sloan. There is no question about his way of developing talent, because he had made those names one of the best in their generation. Imagine DC, Rush, George, Tyler, Hibbert, Danny and Lance developing under Sloan...

DaveP63
04-04-2011, 07:56 AM
You get him if you can. You slide Frank Vogel down one seat and let him learn from one of the masters. Good for you. Good for him. Win. Win.

Will Galen
04-04-2011, 08:29 AM
Anymore when you read a report that quotes an un-named source like the one starting this thread, it's more likely that someone made the report up.
----------------------------------------

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/51556118-87/sloan-jazz-return-sunday.html.csp

Jazz notes: Sloan says he has no plans to return
BY BRIAN T. SMITH
AND STEVE LUHM
The Salt Lake Tribune

Nothing has changed for Jerry Sloan.

After retiring less than two months ago as the Jazz’s coach, the Hall of Famer told The Salt Lake Tribune on Sunday that he is not planning to return to basketball, expressing uncertainty about how his name was linked to a possible comeback.

Refuting a report Sunday that he would seriously consider returning to the coaching ranks if the right situation was presented to him, Sloan said that he hasn’t thought about walking the sideline again.

“I don’t know where that came from,” Sloan said. “It sounds like somebody threw it out there. … But that’s not my game.”

Sloan and longtime Utah assistant Phil Johnson unexpectedly resigned Feb. 10.

Johnson told The Tribune on Sunday that he has no interest in coaching again, and does not think that his lifelong friend does, either.

“In our business, you can never say never,” Johnson said. “I just doubt either one of us would coach again. That’s just a feeling.”

He added: “It was time to get out of it. That’s the bottom line.”

Unclebuck
04-04-2011, 08:34 AM
I doubt that Sloan will coach again and the chances he coaches here are somewhere between slim and none

IndyPacer
04-04-2011, 09:20 AM
I hope Jerry comes here, but I cannot imagine anyone moving to Indianapolis from out west. I'm sure he can pick and choose a more desirable situation.

He was in Utah, not Orange County, California. Is Utah that much more desirable than Indianapolis?

That said, he probably won't coach anymore anyway.

Trader Joe
04-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Jerry would bring instant recruiting credibility that we as a city don't have on our own. in other words, players would come play here just to play for him.

Really? Is there any evidence to support this from his time in Utah? I can't think of a single instance where what your saying here occurred there.

Pass on Sloan. He's way too old.

Sollozzo
04-04-2011, 12:26 PM

Who were all the big time free agents that came to Utah during Sloan's 22 years there? I sure can't think of any. Boozer signed there, but that's because they offered him a ton of money....not because of an infatuation with Sloan. He would have signed there if Stalin was the coach given the money Utah threw at him. And after 6 years of Sloan, Boozer had no qualms with leaving when Chicago offered him money. And let's not forget Sloan butted heads with his superstar PG.

No one signed with Utah because of Jerry Sloan and no one would come to Indiana because of Jerry Sloan. He's old enough to be most of these players' grandpa and I'd prefer we go in a younger direction. I don't want a cranky old man who could quit at any minute if things weren't going well.

Sloan is a stubborn old-school type coach who butted heads with his star PG. This is a player's league now and I could just as easily see players avoiding him as I could see them coming to a team just to play for him.

This is all moot because Sloan wouldn't come here anyway.

vnzla81
04-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Really? Is there any evidence to support this from his time in Utah? I can't think of a single instance where what your saying here occurred there.

Pass on Sloan. He's way too old.

I was thinking the same thing, other than keeping Stockton and Malone everybody else pretty much leaves, Boozer left and Dwill was on his way out.

ilive4sports
04-04-2011, 02:35 PM
Who were all the big time free agents that came to Utah during Sloan's 22 years there? I sure can't think of any. Boozer signed there, but that's because they offered him a ton of money....not because of an infatuation with Sloan. He would have signed there if Stalin was the coach given the money Utah threw at him. And after 6 years of Sloan, Boozer had no qualms with leaving when Chicago offered him money. And let's not forget Sloan butted heads with his superstar PG.

No one signed with Utah because of Jerry Sloan and no one would come to Indiana because of Jerry Sloan. He's old enough to be most of these players' grandpa and I'd prefer we go in a younger direction. I don't want a cranky old man who could quit at any minute if things weren't going well.

Sloan is a stubborn old-school type coach who butted heads with his star PG. This is a player's league now and I could just as easily see players avoiding him as I could see them coming to a team just to play for him.

This is all moot because Sloan wouldn't come here anyway.

What big time free agents were really being pursued by Utah? I mean they always had a damn good team that wasn't looking to make a huge splash in free agency.

esabyrn333
04-04-2011, 02:44 PM

If it wasn't for Michael Jordan the Jazz would have lost two titles to the PACERS....in the 90's Just saying...:dance::happydanc

Naptown_Seth
04-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Sorry even being an old guy myself I'd prefer a younger Coach than the 69 year old Jerry Sloan this team is years away from a title run. Bring in a younger coach who will be able to build for that run.
Years away from a TITLE run?

Teams fall instantly in AND out of title run windows all the time. You don't skip on good coaching because right now the team doesn't seem poised to go all the way. Hey, let's not hire Doc Rivers because we certainly aren't about to get Seattle and Minny to do us big favors any time soon.

Neither you nor Peck nor I thought "boy, if only we dumped Bob Hill and hired Larry Brown and traded the only current all-star for a non-scoring defensive specialist, I bet we'd go into a 10 year window of title runs". No one thought that.

I thought Bob wasn't getting enough out of the talent he had, sure, but I wasn't signing up for my ECF tickets before the season.

Larry Brown took a team spinning it's wheels right to back to back ECFs instantly. He made a middling team into a much better team instantly.

And oh by the way, he wasn't even around when they hit their peak of the title run from 98 to 2000.

So you hire Sloan, you get better right away, players learn to play the game at an even higher level, and by the time age plays a factor you have guys like Danny and Roy nearly on auto-pilot in terms of understanding quality basketball...just like you did when Bird took over a team that honed it's craft under Brown and no longer needed Brown's control freak issues in order to be great on their own.

Naptown_Seth
04-04-2011, 03:21 PM
Boozer signed there, but that's because they offered him a ton of money
What???? You mean to tell me that somehow money plays a factor in where players go?

No, I was pretty sure David Robinson never signed with Indy not because Indy had no cap space and not because SA kept David locked up, but because being from the Navy Robinson insisted on being near water. Luckily for SA the Admiral considered the Riverwalk a major shipping lane.

For F's sake Hoosiers, stop being such chip-on-the-shoulder babies, sack up, and realize that had Miami not offered Bosh and Lebron something extremely close to the max possible deal at least that they wouldn't have teamed up.

Hey, how about the entire EC all-stars all agree to take $1m a year so they can all play together in Miami? In fact, what gives exactly with Lebron, Wade and Bosh. They want to control the world, why not leave cap space for guys like Chris Paul. Why didn't they talk Dirk into joining them for $2m a year also.

They could all get together, all for $1-2m a year, or whatever league minimum is for their experience, and have a team of beach loving superteams that would destroy the league for years.

Isn't that worth giving up $80m or more over 4-5 years? I mean you've got plenty of money, you've got endorsements, you've got all the hotties at the beach clubs...obviously that's all you need.

Or just maybe the ONLY thing these guys give a crap about is cash. NO ONE is leaving 2-3m on the table per year to avoid Indy. The last guy that came close to doing that was Danny Manning and he got burned when he got injured that year waiting on his big payday....and the league put in cap rules to prevent those types of signings since then anyway.

Hicks
04-04-2011, 04:26 PM
I love the same things everyone else does about Jerry Sloan.

But...

Doesn't he also have his drawbacks? I'd like to know more, for better or worse, but it was my vague understanding that while he does a lot of great things that we Indiana fans would adore, I thought he also had a tendency to be overly negative/hostile towards his players? Think Jim, but with more fire (in a bad way), with less public shots.

Am I completely wrong about that? Anyone know?

Again, I love his positives, it would likely be a net gain, but that does concern me, if there's truth to it.

NapTonius Monk
04-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Is was meant to be a big no, my bad.:laugh:

Sollozzo
04-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Or just maybe the ONLY thing these guys give a crap about is cash. NO ONE is leaving 2-3m on the table per year to avoid Indy. The last guy that came close to doing that was Danny Manning and he got burned when he got injured that year waiting on his big payday....and the league put in cap rules to prevent those types of signings since then anyway.

I wouldn't say the only thing they care about is cash. True, if only one team is offering you big bucks then you're going to go to that place regardless of where it is. But if you have multiple offers for the same amount of money then stuff like what city you're playing in becomes a factor. I think it's naive to think otherwise.

Miami being Miami *DID* factor into their decision. Bosh wanted to play in a big market and I'm sure Lebron didn't have any qualms about going there. Wasn't there a story about how Lebron was trying to recruit Bosh to Cleveland in a S&T but Bosh didn't want to go to Cleveland? And in that scenario, he would have gotten MORE money and the 7th year since he would have been signing the contract with Toronto before the trade. They would pick Indy if Indy was the only place that would pay them but they sure wouldn't pick Indy over Miami if the money was the same.

Everyone acknowledges that money is by far the main factor in any decision that an athlete makes. All we've ever said is that, if the money is equal, then things like city/teammates/coach/etc come into play.