PDA

View Full Version : Go Butler Bulldogs!

IndySDExport
04-02-2011, 09:32 PM
I know this is an Indiana Pacers thread, but I just wanted to give a quick shout out to Butler Bulldogs for showing the nation what Indiana Basketball is truly about.

Defense, teamwork, experience and a will to win can get you to back to back NCAA national title games. I think the Pacers could learn a few lessons about never giving up from these guys and I hope they were watching (I know big Roy was via twitter).

Big props to VCU as well. It is truly amazing what they accomplished.

vnzla81
04-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Yeah Butler never quits and never backs down :laugh:

IndySDExport
04-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Nobody wants to play against Matt Howard. Nobody. :laugh:

Jared Sullinger
04-02-2011, 09:56 PM
They've gotta seal the deal this time and bring home the championship.

Roaming Gnome
04-02-2011, 09:58 PM
http://cdn.picapp.com/ftp/Images/7/3/9/e/NCAA_Final_Four_6826.jpg?adImageId=12126644&imageId=8421245
Go Dogs!!!

KingGeorge
04-02-2011, 11:38 PM
Kemba who ?

Trophy
04-02-2011, 11:39 PM
They need to make a modern version of Hoosiers, but call it Bulldogs.

They really resemble Indiana basketball. Hopefully the Pacers will soon like they used to.

Psyren
04-02-2011, 11:46 PM
Congrats to Butler.

Maybe I'm the only one (I probably am), but I don't see what's so tough about Uconn. Kemba's a great player, and Lamb has played pretty well, but seriously. Why do teams struggle with them?

I'm just not impressed with Uconn. At all. They've had a good stretch and could very well win the National Championship (I hope not :D), but I just don't know what's so hard about playing them.

Sookie
04-03-2011, 12:42 AM
Congrats to Butler.

Maybe I'm the only one (I probably am), but I don't see what's so tough about Uconn. Kemba's a great player, and Lamb has played pretty well, but seriously. Why do teams struggle with them?

I'm just not impressed with Uconn. At all. They've had a good stretch and could very well win the National Championship (I hope not :D), but I just don't know what's so hard about playing them.

Defense, and so long as a team has the best player on the floor, they've got a shot at winning. And Uconn always has the best player on the floor.

Butler is going to be Uconn's toughest game. They aren't going to do stupid things (like Uconn will..yay freshmen)

PaceBalls
04-03-2011, 02:45 AM
Mack vs Kemba should be fun.

I can't believe Butler made it back again. I had them out in the 2nd round on my brackets. I have loved watching them play in the tourney. The whole team is Tyler Hansbrough level intense all game long. How good could they have been if Gordon had stayed another year?

CableKC
04-03-2011, 02:56 AM
The only reason I know about Butler is because you guys talk to them from time to time, so I'm pretty clueless when it comes to College Basketball.

So whose the best Player on this Butler Team?

I assume that there has to be a top 15 Player in the bunch here given that they gotten this far.

Or

Is the Butler one of those Teams that have no stars but simply play really well together ( a la the Rip/Tayshaun/Chauncey/BigBen Pistons right before they won their Championship )?

cdash
04-03-2011, 02:58 AM
The only reason I know about Butler is because you guys talk to them from time to time, so I'm pretty clueless when it comes to College Basketball.

So whose the best Player on this Butler Team?

I assume that there has to be a top 15 Player in the bunch here given that they gotten this far.

Or

Is the Butler one of those Teams that have no stars but simply play really well together ( a la the Rip/Tayshaun/Chauncey/BigBen Pistons right before they won their Championship )?

Bingo. Matt Howard and Shelvin Mack are the stars, but they epitomize teamwork and defense. Extremely well coached group.

Foul on Smits
04-03-2011, 06:39 AM
I hope they win. Going down to kokomo for the night. Headed to BW's and then a gentlemans establishment. Wink wink

Major Cold
04-03-2011, 07:29 AM
Folks when are you going to realize that it is more about Stevens and his composure more than the players. He sets the attitude and has the fortitude to win. Look at how coach Calipari was acting last night. He was frantic and looked worn out. He did not balance the TV timeouts and his team ran out of gas.

College basketball is more about the demeanor of the team than the talent overall. And Kentucky and Kansas both lack a coach with the demeanor to win the big one.

GO DOGS!!!!

idioteque
04-03-2011, 08:36 AM
I think ultimately Connecticut is more beatable than Kentucky, even thought both are very very good. Butlers big advantage is that I believe every contributor on the team other than Khyle Walker has been here before. That makes a bigger difference in college than it does in the pros.

Shade
04-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Hmm...guess Butler didn't really need Hayward after all. ;)

Suaveness
04-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Whatever team selects Mack in the draft is going to have a pretty good player on their hands.

Naptown_Seth
04-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Defense, and so long as a team has the best player on the floor, they've got a shot at winning. And Uconn always has the best player on the floor.

Butler is going to be Uconn's toughest game. They aren't going to do stupid things (like Uconn will..yay freshmen)
You just better watch your a** come Monday. You're walking a fine line here. The easy days where you could be both an Indy and UConn fan with AJ are gone. :D

ps - Kemba has totally convinced me, his game is so dramatically improved this year, he's far more mature. I don't care about the size, with his speed and awareness I'd love to see the Pacers get him...though it would mean you'd probably have to trade DC. Moot point because it won't shake out that way anyhow.

PacerDude
04-03-2011, 11:19 AM
Amazing.

Think about what Butler has done over the last 2 years. I mean - really think about it.

Shade
04-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Amazing.

Think about what Butler has done over the last 2 years. I mean - really think about it.

Yep.

To put it somewhat into perspective, IU (who has 5 national championships) has never made it to the title game twice in a row. In fact, very few teams have. And none from a mid-major.

idioteque
04-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Amazing.

I know, it is absolutely incredible and something I never ever thought would happen in my lifetime.

I work with a girl from Indiana who went to Butler and she has absolutely no perspective on this. She doesn't realize what a huge deal it is for Butler to do this once, let alone twice. I think she fully expects them to be back next year.

croz24
04-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Hmm...guess Butler didn't really need Hayward after all. ;)

yea hayward's part in last year's run was awfully exaggerated. veasley was just as if not more valuable than gordon last year, and yet you hear him hardly mentioned.

vnzla81
04-03-2011, 04:58 PM
yea hayward's part in last year's run was awfully exaggerated. veasley was just as if not more valuable than gordon last year, and yet you hear him hardly mentioned.

Yeah, him and SM were more important than Hayward, Gordon was overrated big time.

Sookie
04-03-2011, 07:48 PM
You just better watch your a** come Monday. You're walking a fine line here. The easy days where you could be both an Indy and UConn fan with AJ are gone. :D

ps - Kemba has totally convinced me, his game is so dramatically improved this year, he's far more mature. I don't care about the size, with his speed and awareness I'd love to see the Pacers get him...though it would mean you'd probably have to trade DC. Moot point because it won't shake out that way anyhow.

It's amazing really. Never would have guessed it. His leadership and maturity is the most impressive thing about him. I've said it a few times..only Uconn player I've seen have a more impressive season was Taurasi. And seeing as she happens to be the best women's player in the world...(and probably the best women's college player ever..)

I still feel like his size is going to be a problem at this level, in terms of being a "great player' it may limit him to peak at really good backup PG. He is..tiny...

Anyway, I actually really like Butler when they aren't facing Uconn. Incredible story no matter what team wins. Also..Calhoun's getting old..wouldn't mind stealing Brad to coach Uconn..:D So I won't rub it in if Uconn wins (well...I won't rub it in much..)

AJ apparently said he was going to be wearing head to toe Uconn gear in Indy tomorrow. Did not know he was the "poke the dragon" kind of kid. :D

xBulletproof
04-03-2011, 07:58 PM
What does Butlers recruiting look like? Did last years run help them recruit this year? If not, will 2 years in a row do it?

I pay little attention to college basketball.

idioteque
04-03-2011, 09:00 PM
What does Butlers recruiting look like? Did last years run help them recruit this year? If not, will 2 years in a row do it?

I don't think Butler's recruiting will ever be significantly better than it is right now, they're not a team that looks for a lot of flashy 4 and 5 star recruits. In that context, Khyle Marshall was a very good get for them as his play has shown and Andrew Smith will only be a junior next year. I think Jackson Aldridge and Roosevelt Jones will be good players for them, while their other recruits look more like projects at this point.

croz24
04-03-2011, 09:11 PM

well they had a really solid three man group this past year with marshall, hopkins, and fromm. fromm has hardly gotten any time but was the best player on a top 3 nationally ranked bloomington south squad. i expect him to develop similar to andrew smith. hopkins and marshall were both top 150 ranked kids. marshall has shown himself very well in this tournament run and could become a butler great if he develops. very good athlete with a solid inside out game. hopkins is an athletic freak with a sound jumper. i think he needs another year of solid development before he's ready to become a legit starter for butler.

for 2011 butler has a 4 man class: roosevlet jones (ill), jackson aldridge(aus), andy smeathers(ind), and kameron woods(ky). jones is a top 150 kid and is known for defense. best comparison would be willie veasley. jackson aldridge reminds me of an aj graves or jordan hulls. very good outside shooter but since he's from australia i haven't seen much of him. smeathers looks, shoots, plays like gordon hayward. same build and body type as well. will need to develop his body big time if he hopes to contribute like hayward did his freshman year. woods is a project. he supposedly is a big time athlete with unlimited potential but he's rail thin.

for 2012 butler has only 2 kids committed thus far in kellen dunham(ind) and devontae morgan(fla). dunham is top 150 right now and probably the best shooter in his class. will be a senior next year and pendleton heights. morgan is very similar to shawn vanzant. morgan was thought to be a possible top 100 kid but the hype has worn off for whatever reason. i don't know much about morgan other than his comparisons to vanzant and that he is/was considered a top 5 kid out of florida. but overall butler is bringing in similar kids to what they have always recruited. my reservations come with the lack of instate recruiting. much more emphasis on out of state kids which imo is not necessarily a good thing for a butler program that embrasses the indiana high school basketball style.