PDA

View Full Version : Planning a trip to Conseco for the playoffs.

JornLande
04-02-2011, 12:24 AM
I'm from LA, I'm a struggling college student and the playoffs start the week of Spring Break. What better way to spend it, right?

I would love some help in planning this and if any of you could help with some questions, that'd be awesome.

Expedia is showing me some pretty nice deals for flight + hotel combos, what I'm wondering is which of these hotels in the 500-600 range is closest to the Fieldhouse?

http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll?qscr=cmfd&qsfr=cmfd&itid=&itdx=&itty=&ecid=&subm=0

I've searched some of them on google maps and noticed that some of the hotels that list they're close to Conseco are actually further away than some that don't have it listed, so I figure I'd ask to see if you guys could help with this.

Onto tickets, how much am I looking to spend here? I would love to sit in Area 55 or at least near the section. Anyone have an idea on what to expect concerning ticket prices this year?

How about getting around without a car? Is it possible without breaking my balls and my wallet? Would prefer to walk everywhere but cabs are cool if they're cheap.

Playoffs start April 16th. Any idea on when the Pacers will play? Its usually one game, one day off, then another game right? **** if thats the deal and I can get away with only spending 3 nights in Indy I'm SO in.

Of course if they don't make the playoffs I will cry.

I know I got a lotta questions, so if you can answer anything at all that'd be great!

TL;DR version:

http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll?qscr=cmfd&qsfr=cmfd&itid=&itdx=&itty=&ecid=&subm=0

what hotel is closest to the Fieldhouse in the 500-600 range

How much are tickets?

Can I walk to the Fieldhouse?

Any idea when they'll play?

No playoffs = :cry:

redfoster
04-02-2011, 02:05 AM
The link for the hotels doesn't work for me, but the Hampton Inn, Conrad, and Omni are all very close. Hampton Inn is super close. You could easily walk from most any hotel located downtown, though. If not, the cab would be max $5 each way.

No idea when the games will be or if you can get into Area 55. Usually there is space, but who knows during the playoffs.

presto123
04-02-2011, 02:53 AM
Stay home and watch Kobe.............................................. ........Just kidding. Have a safe fun trip. Hope you enjoy our city.

Will Galen
04-02-2011, 02:55 AM
Making the playoff's looks good, but be able to cancel.

mattie
04-02-2011, 06:13 AM
As long as you get a hotel downtown, you have absolutely no reason to ever use a cab. You'll be able to walk everywhere. Food, hotel, Conseco are all within a two block radius. There's plenty of entertainment there for you to, that'll help waste the day until game time.

Also, the nice thing about flying out of LAX is it's all nonstop straight to Indy, so flights should be cheap, I'd buy it now, but spend money on insurance.. Think you'd be able to get your money back if the Pacers don't make the playoffs.

The Conrad would definitely be the best hotel, 2 blocks from Conseco, and I think you'd be able to land a room at 200/night

From the airport to downtown, where your hotel would be located your talking about roughly a 40-45 dollar cab ride. I bet, if you asked once your dates and times are set, someone here probably wouldn't mind picking you up at the airport and taking you downtown.

I'd do it myself, but I lost my license unfortunately. :|

Anywho, if you're curious about bars to hit up on your night, or where to eat etc.. We can let you know if you have any questions.

Hope you have fun!

threein73
04-02-2011, 12:13 PM
one thing to keep in mind is that the first round of the playoffs are somewhat spread out usually and the fact that the first two games will be away, so the first game in indy might not be until around April 22nd?

imawhat
04-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Wait...a struggling college student looking to spend $500-$600 on a hotel in Indy? Yep, you're from LA. :)

Conrad's the best-rated hotel in Indianapolis and it's within walking distance of the Fieldhouse. It's a no-brainer if you're willing to pay that much.

Have a good time.

I might make the trip back to Indy for this one as well. Only 5 years, but this playoff wait has felt like forever.

Unclebuck
04-02-2011, 02:03 PM
The earliest the first home game could be for the Pacers is Thursday April 21st, the latest the second home game could be is Monday April 25.

Hope that makes sense?

Dr. Hibbert
04-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Wait...a struggling college student looking to spend $500-$600 on a hotel in Indy? Yep, you're from LA. :).

Haha my thoughts exactly. I'm a struggling post-grad and I'm looking to pay $500-600/mo in rent...

BillS
04-02-2011, 02:37 PM
I think he's talking $500-$600 TOTAL for the plane tix and hotel, that's how expedia combines things.

JornLande
04-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Wait...a struggling college student looking to spend $500-$600 on a hotel in Indy? Yep, you're from LA. :)

:laugh: I'm talking about the plane ticket and hotel combined for the 4 nights.

The earliest the first home game could be for the Pacers is Thursday April 21st, the latest the second home game could be is Monday April 25.

Hope that makes sense?

EXACTLY the kind of info I was looking for with the dates.

Thanks for all the help, guys. I think if we beat the Hornets on Sunday I'ma go ahead and pull the trigger.

imbtyler
04-02-2011, 06:05 PM

Hope that makes sense?

If we manage to make it to the 25th, I'll (apparently) be home that week for my own spring break. I'd LOVE to be able to make it to a Pacers Playoff game...

Naptown_Seth
04-02-2011, 07:36 PM
JW Marriot might be a more interesting choice than the Conrad IF you were spending money, but I assume like several of you that this is the COMBINED cost.

Not to be a stickler, but the Conrad is 4 blocks away, not 2. Indy blocks are proper .1 mile blocks so your distance is easy to figure.

The key is how convenient you want everything else to be. If you stay closer to the circle or Illinois St then you'll be right on top of everything else. JW, Conrad and all the other hotels fit that bill - Westin, Mariott, Hilton (normal), Hyatt, Omni, Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn.

Technically the La Quinta might be the closest of any cheap hotels. I know Able stayed there a few years ago when it was Days Inn (I think). Not sure the status since the change, but I think Able was happy enough with it at the time. But it's on the wrong side of Conseco which means 4-7 block walks for anything else you want to do downtown.

If you could get a deal with one of the other nicer hotels tied to the airline I'd go with that I think.

I really like the Omni and it's location. However considering mid April you might catch some warm days and a hotel closer to the canal might be more fun when it's not game time. There is a nice Courtyard over on the canal right by IUPUI. More of a walk to Conseco but still just a blip. The IUPUI University Place is nice enough and the campus and White River park are fine to walk through, but it's on the opposite corner of downtown from Conseco.

Nothing downtown is more than $5-6 cab ride, basically just the "get in a cab" fee and then you are there.

Less convenient but still worth keeping in the mix if you are looking to save are the hotels over by Lucas Oil. They are just a tiny bit out of the way but if this means $70 instead of $150 it would be worth it. These are all brand new builds in the last couple of years - Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Suites, Staybridge.

On Expedia I found a Hampton Inn deal (Frontier, US Air combo) for 731 that would be April 22 to 26, and Hampton Inn might be the most centrally located hotel in the city. Crowne Plaza (a bit older but still decent and solid location) has a 700 deal, Staybridge is in that range. Omni at 740.

Now Cantebury has in the past been the exclusive hotel, but they've been in bad need of upgrades and I don't think those are completed yet. With Conrad in town the glitz factor for Catebury is way down. They have a cheap package (700) but for a non-star/rich type I can't imagine the hotel would be a better experience than the Omni around the corner.

Conrad and Westin both clock in at 1000 for the same trip for reference.

imawhat
04-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Technically the La Quinta might be the closest of any cheap hotels. I know Able stayed there a few years ago when it was Days Inn (I think). Not sure the status since the change, but I think Able was happy enough with it at the time. But it's on the wrong side of Conseco which means 4-7 block walks for anything else you want to do downtown.

Some of my LA friends stayed at the La Quinta in December and said it was fine. I guess it was remodeled in 2009. It's as close as you'll get to Conseco for $85/night.

Hampton is probably a better location, but it looks like there are several good deals on Expedia; I'm sure it's hard to go wrong.

The Omni looks like the best deal to me. Great location and under $600 for a 3 night stay/flight.