PDA

View Full Version : Recovering Oden aware of 'Sam Bowie talk' - Yahoo! Sports

Jared Sullinger
04-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Recovering Oden aware of 'Sam Bowie talk' - Yahoo! Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AuVL8B1U5FM6d012KUOwyoy8vLYF?slug=mc-oden_injury_return_sam_bowie_blazers040111)

Greg Oden (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4243/) knows that he can’t dodge the Sam Bowie comparisons. Sitting at his home, the often-injured center acknowledged that before watching on TV his Portland Trail Blazers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/por/) play the New Orleans Hornets (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/nor/) on Wednesday evening.

Once Oden returns to play, as he strongly expects, will the free agent be helping the Blazers or another team?

“Some people may think it’s best for me being out of [Portland], getting out of that mode of being injured or Sam Bowie talk,” Oden said. “Some people are probably saying, ‘You owe the Blazers for four years.’

“I don’t know. For me, I just want to get out there and play. … I just want to get on the court and compete because that’s something I’ve been missing the past two years.”

Big things were expected from Oden when the Blazers selected him as the first overall pick in the 2007 draft over Kevin Durant (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4244/)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4244/news). Injuries have derailed his promise, but Oden is just 23 years old, enough time to turn things around and distance himself from Bowie, the Trail Blazer best known as the man picked before Michael Jordan in the 1984 NBA draft.

Oden hasn’t played since December of 2009, when he needed surgery to repair a fractured left patella. He was averaging 11.7 points, 8.8 rebounds and 2.4 blocks at the time of the injury. That setback came off the heels of a lost rookie season (right knee micro-fracture surgery) and a ’08-’09 season where he missed 21 games (foot, kneecap injuries).

He says his current rehab, from November’s micro-fracture surgery on his left knee, includes weightless squats, leg strength and balancing exercises, and cardio. The 7-footer, who has played in only 82 games in his career, hopes to get back on the floor to do light shooting without movement sometime later this month. He is “aiming” for a complete return by November.

Oden misses the game. After watching his Blazers fall to the Hornets, he lingered on the night’s highlights, watching them three times along with other games.

“It’s kind of brought back the love of the game through humbling you,” Oden said of his injuries. “You go out there and do it. Some people might not work as hard on their game. But when it’s taken away for two years that’s all you want to do is go back on the basketball court and do whatever you can.”

The projected NBA lockout could aid Oden’s hopes of getting a better contract as each passing day would give him more time to heal and get stronger before next season. Portland declined to offer Oden an extension prior to the season. The Blazers, however, have from the day the Finals end until June 30 to extend an $8.8 million qualifying offer. Oden said he and his agent, Bill Duffy, haven’t had recent contract talks with Portland.

Expect the Blazers to make a qualifying offer that would keep him from being snatched by another team and force him to be a restricted free agent if he declines, a source told Yahoo! Sports.

“Who wouldn’t want to play with those guys?” Oden said of the Blazers. “Watching them, it’s definitely a fun atmosphere and it looks like they are having a good time. They’re still winning. That’s always a plus.”

Oden cannot accept or decline a qualifying offer until after the next collective bargaining agreement is in place. If there is a prolonged lockout and Oden regains his health, it will be interesting to see how much interest he could garner as a restricted free agent by declining the qualifying offer.

“This year being my contract year, it’s definitely hard on me and my future,” Oden said. “Right now, I can’t control it. All I can do is get my body to where it needs to be and be ready when the time comes.”

As for the Bowie talk, only a healthy and productive Oden can end that.

redfoster
04-01-2011, 02:54 PM
I'd take him. What do you guys think it would take $-wise to get him? I imagine he would be happy to come back home.

BringJackBack
04-01-2011, 03:06 PM
I'd sign him for almost anything (Like 3 years/35 mil) as long as it is a 3 year contract with a team option on the third year.. He still has that kind of potential in my opinion. Low risk/High reward.

Jared Sullinger
04-01-2011, 03:22 PM
It's hard not to be intrigued by a guy who, if healthy, could realistically be another Dwight Howard. That he's a local who would interest the more casual fans is just the icing on the cake.

Trophy
04-01-2011, 03:36 PM
I wouldn't mind signing him to be Roy's backup for now and we'll see how he does.

He still has a lot of potential if he's patient and works hard to get back to the player he was supposed to be.

Aw Heck
04-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Coincidentally, this is from Bill Simmons' latest column:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/110401&sportCat=nba

18. Indiana Pacers
Danny Granger, Roy Hibbert, Darren Collison, Tyler Hansbrough, Paul George, Brandon Rush and some summer cap space … not a bad foundation. That's two-thirds of a perennial playoff team. Still, it's a small-market team with short pockets; they're never signing a marquee free agent, which means they have to get creative and roll the dice. You know, with something like the following post-lockout deal: Hibbert and James Posey (expiring in 2012) in a sign-and-trade for Greg Oden and a future No. 1 pick.

Portland turns Oden into a solid 7-footer (Hibbert, past 2 months: 50% FG, 13.2 ppg, 7.1 rpg, 1.8 bpg) who can definitely stay on the court. Oden gets away from Portland (too much baggage, too many bad memories), goes home to Indiana (where he'll have the longest leash possible) and gets a fresh start. And the Pacers give him a four-year, $40 million extension and get their dice roll; if Oden stays healthy, they just stumbled onto a franchise center. How else would they get one? And can you think of anyone who needs a change of scenery more than Oden? I hope this happens. Uh-oh -- I think I just exploded the Blazer's Edge message board.

I don't think I'd do that deal. Greg Oden may have a lot of potential and Roy Hibbert may never be an All-Star, but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Shade
04-01-2011, 04:01 PM
Sure, I'd give him a shot, as long as we don't pay too much or give too many years. Three years with a team option on #3 sounds good to me.

Shade
04-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Coincidentally, this is from Bill Simmons' latest column:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/110401&sportCat=nba

I don't think I'd do that deal. Greg Oden may have a lot of potential and Roy Hibbert may never be an All-Star, but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Why trade Hibbert when we can just sign Oden outright? I really think being the hometown team could work to our advantage in the FA market for Oden.

Then bring in EJ in a couple years and we're cookin'... :plot:

Trophy
04-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Why trade Hibbert when we can just sign Oden outright? I really think being the hometown team could work to our advantage in the FA market for Oden.

I think EJ would be the biggest FA who'd be happy to sign with us.

I just hope Bird doesn't blow his cap space this offseason on garbage.

Plus we have James Posey coming off the books in 2012 so it could be a possibility we sign EJ without the Clippers matching or S&T to get him which seems more likely.

vnzla81
04-01-2011, 04:22 PM

Just wait for EJ's agent P4E to shut that down.

beast23
04-01-2011, 04:43 PM
I'd sign him for almost anything (Like 3 years/35 mil) as long as it is a 3 year contract with a team option on the third year.. He still has that kind of potential in my opinion. Low risk/High reward.I think you got that wrong.

There is no getting around it. Four years and Oden has not been able to stay on the floor. He has experienced both foot and knee problems.

Definitely HIGH risk / high reward.

I don't think you have to work a sign and trade to get him. I think you can just offer him something like 9M a year for 3 years. Portland might be willing to extend the 8.8M offer so they have rights, but they probably don't want to commit a longer term contract to him without seeing him perform.

The Pacers do have to take chances to improve, but I think there are limits as to how far they are willing to go. They may not even want to risk 27M on a player that has barely played in 4 seasons, regardless of the potential return.

CableKC
04-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Is Oden a RFA or a UFA in the upcoming Offseason?

BringJackBack
04-01-2011, 05:02 PM
He's a RFA.

xBulletproof
04-01-2011, 06:09 PM
I can't believe people hold out hope for him. It must be because he's from here. I doubt people in other cities care.

Guy had physical issues before he was drafted that would predict major injury problems. Its come true and I don't know why people think it will magically get better over time as these physical issues continue to wear on his back and joints.

Eleazar
04-01-2011, 06:51 PM
3 years for 35 million and 3 for 9million per year!!!! Am I living in a different dimension where Oden has actually been healthy!!! There are people on this board who are willing to pay $9+ million a year for him!! Signing Oden to 3 years for 9 million (3 million a year), might be worth the risk, but 9+ million and someone was calling it low risk/high reward. People think Dunleavy is overpaid. That would make Dunleavy look like he is fairly payed. Anything more than 5 million a year for him would be HIGH RISK.

BringJackBack
04-01-2011, 06:59 PM
I understand the concerns, but not really the costs. 3 years/9 million is not possible. Suppose we go after Oden in the summer. For one, he's a big so he's going to get some cash just because he's 7 feet tall. Secondly, he's still got some sick potential and he's displayed it. Third of all, and most importantly we will have to face competition from other teams, including Portland themselves, to outbid for Oden.

3 years/9 mill isn't going to happen. As long as the years are not long (Such as 2 years, and another year team option), I'm all for pursuing Oden in the offseason, even if the price-tag is hefty.

imbtyler
04-01-2011, 08:56 PM
As long as he remains healthy, I'd love to see Oden playing for his hometown. We could definitely use him, and anyone saying he would backup Roy is just wrong. Even playing at 50%, Oden is still a much stronger, more physical, more talented player than Roy. Too bad we've put so much marketing and such into making Roy our star center. Oden would have the spot over Roy in a heartbeat.

croz24
04-01-2011, 10:09 PM
I can't believe people hold out hope for him. It must be because he's from here. I doubt people in other cities care.

Guy had physical issues before he was drafted that would predict major injury problems. Its come true and I don't know why people think it will magically get better over time as these physical issues continue to wear on his back and joints.

once again, his injury issues have not been recurring. for the most part they have all been different areas of the body. if it was the same injury each time, that's one thing. but it hasn't been.

speakout4
04-01-2011, 10:12 PM
once again, his injury issues have not been recurring. for the most part they have all been different areas of the body. if it was the same injury each time, that's one thing. but it hasn't been.
OK, his entire body is decrepit, not just one part.

croz24
04-01-2011, 10:17 PM
OK, his entire body is decrepit, not just one part.

that or it's a string of unfortunate luck. if he was reinjuring himself, i might agree with you. but he hasn't been.

Eindar
04-01-2011, 11:37 PM
Typically, I'd say Oden is done, and that signing him would be throwing good money after bad. However, there was another player I never thought would play again, and that was Grant Hill. Now, clearly there are big differences. Hill had several healthy years before he went to Orlando. He's a wing, not a Center. And he didn't look like someone's great-grandfather before entering into the league.

However, I will never say never, but I will say that at this point, paying him anything above about 7-8 mil per year is overpaying, and even that amount comes with some risk. For reference, Bender was signed for 8 mil per year for 4 years, and that contract turned everyone against him.

Eleazar
04-01-2011, 11:51 PM
I understand the concerns, but not really the costs. 3 years/9 million is not possible. Suppose we go after Oden in the summer. For one, he's a big so he's going to get some cash just because he's 7 feet tall. Secondly, he's still got some sick potential and he's displayed it. Third of all, and most importantly we will have to face competition from other teams, including Portland themselves, to outbid for Oden.

3 years/9 mill isn't going to happen. As long as the years are not long (Such as 2 years, and another year team option), I'm all for pursuing Oden in the offseason, even if the price-tag is hefty.

If anyone is willing to take a bigger risk than $5 million a year they can go ahead and have him because it isn't worth it.

travmil
04-02-2011, 12:25 AM
Have the Blazers cornered the market here or what? LaRue Martin over Bob McAdoo. Bowie over Jordan. Oden over Durant. I can see doing it once. You could even get unlucky and do it twice. But three times? I don't care that it's pretty evenly spaced over almost 40 years, that's still pretty bad.

xBulletproof
04-02-2011, 03:06 AM

It would worry me more that its not the same body parts all of the time.

Look at his pre draft issues. He has one leg longer than the other. Im not posting a huge list of side effects and how debilitating this problem is for the average person. Google it yourself and then remove the average person and replace him with a 7 footer pushing his body to its physical limits. You'll then understand why his back and knees don't work. Or any of the joints on his lower half. These are all injuries in line with this physical problem. So in a way, yes it is recurring.

Hicks
04-02-2011, 11:04 AM
I think Derrick McKey also had one leg longer than the other, and if I recall correctly, he seemed to be hurt a lot, too.

Brad8888
04-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Oden would be an excellent replacement in the Pacers lineup for JO. He could come here and "dominate the paint" just like JO did towards the end of his tenure here.

When he goes into medical retirement, maybe we could hire the legendary Oden as our big man coach so he could teach Hibbert footwork and how to actually "dominate the paint" while Hibbert actually stays healthy enough to play consistently.

Jared Sullinger
04-02-2011, 02:04 PM
I haven't read anything that says uneven leg length will make one more susceptible to injury. It seems like it would, but as I said, I haven't seen it listed under symptoms. Pain, yes. Injuries, no.

BlueNGold
04-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Oden is worth some kind of risk, but probably not Hibbert. With Foster soon to retire, we wouldn't have any size at all if Oden went down.

Of course, the benefit is that Stanko would be on a speed boat to the states if that happened.

A better idea is to deal Granger for a package (something we know is decent) along with getting Oden. Fact is, we need Hibbert more than we need Danny right now. With a healthy Oden next to Hibbert we would have a huge front line to deal with the likes of LA and Chicago.

Sandman21
04-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Bowie over Jordan.
And THANK GOD for our sake they took Bowie over Michael.

And a pox on the fool who thought a scrub named Tom Owens was worth a 1984 first round pick!

FlavaDave
04-04-2011, 01:44 PM
I have uneven leg lengths, and it caused me to slip a disk in my back. I was forced out of sports in high school and still can't do too much high impact exercise.

Peck
04-04-2011, 02:02 PM
And THANK GOD for our sake they took Bowie over Michael.

And a pox on the fool who thought a scrub named Tom Owens was worth a 1984 first round pick!

Dude even back then I was having a fit over that trade. Even though I had no idea who we were going to get in the draft, I knew it was better than Tom "journyman" Owens.

I was never a Walsh fan, as many know, but one thing he & I did see eye to eye on was that first round draft picks should not just be thrown away.

Sure some people over valule them as well, but as you can see from this trade back then management often didn't value them enough.

Since86
04-04-2011, 02:18 PM
I haven't read anything that says uneven leg length will make one more susceptible to injury. It seems like it would, but as I said, I haven't seen it listed under symptoms. Pain, yes. Injuries, no.

Pain is an indication of a problem.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00259

xBulletproof
04-04-2011, 06:15 PM
I have uneven leg lengths, and it caused me to slip a disk in my back. I was forced out of sports in high school and still can't do too much high impact exercise.

Thank you.

This is the reason I said I would draft Durant over Oden years ago. I was called stupid, moron and a dozen other names at the time. Yet people still can't believe how serious of a problem this is. Even after 4 years and 82 games later.