PDA

View Full Version : The Fast Break: Hansbrough's Potential Peeking Through

vnzla81
03-31-2011, 09:56 PM
http://www.nba.com/fastbreak/

Newark, N.J. – The transformation from one of the most decorated college basketball players in recent memory to NBA star hasn’t been easy for Tyler Hansbrough. It’s not that his talent has had trouble transferring over. He just hasn’t gotten many opportunities.

Life in the NBA, however, is improving for Hansbrough. The turnaround started when the Indiana Pacers fired coach Jim O’Brien in late January. O’Brien never seemed to trust having the former North Carolina standout on the floor for long periods of time, as is evidence of Hansbrough’s 15-minute average this season under the old regime. Granted, O’Brien wrote Hansbrough into his starting lineup the last month of his tenure, but even then only played him sparingly.

The second Frank Vogel was handed the reigns, he let Hansbrough know he was going to be a big part of the Pacers’ future. Hansbrough’s minutes improved – he’s now a mainstay in Indiana’s starting lineup -- and so have his averages: 30 mpg, 16.8 ppg and 7.1 rpg since March 1.

“I’m definitely starting to click and play better,” Hansbrough said. “It was just a matter of time of basically getting on the court and getting some playing time. Under our old coach, that wasn’t happening, he was just making me ride the bench. The more and more I play, the more comfortable I get and get in good shape out there, too.”

“He’s just growing, his confidence,” Vogel said. “His shot-making has returned to where it was in college from a standpoint of if he’s open, it’s going down. He plays the game so hard that even when he’s making mistakes, he usually makes up for it very quickly with his energy and passion.”

The 25-year-old’s rookie season didn’t go smoothly after the Pacers selected him with the 13th pick of the 2010 Draft. On the floor, the defensive schemes and rotations were challenging. Off, inner ear problems and a concussion sidelined Hansbrough for all but 29 games.

“It was frustrating, especially at the end of the year,” Hansbrough said. “This year, I felt there were times I should have been on the court. It didn’t happen like that. So I kept getting better, kept working out and when my chance came, I was ready.”

Hansbrough’s play as of late – he’s scored in double-figures in 15 of 19 games – is a primary reason the Pacers are still in the playoff hunt. They hold the eighth playoff spot with a 34-42 record and the Charlotte Bobcats are one game back with six remaining.

"I think as the season's gradually gone on, he's gotten more and more minutes and more and more confidence,” former college teammate Brandan Wright said. “He's the reason why they have an opportunity to get that last (playoff) spot."

It’s a transformation that has taken time, and with patients, comes reward.

BlueNGold
03-31-2011, 10:04 PM
A little patience helps as well...

Lou Bega
04-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Tyler Hansbrough's career is at a crossroads. Starting tonight, this stretch of games will decide his future. The Playoffs, Draft Position, & Decision of how much $$$ to resign Mc Roberts for are going to be decided in the next 10 days . If Tyler Hansbrough is able to play well and lead the Pacers to the playoffs he is golden.

If not, The Pacers will have the 8 -10 th pick. What need do they address with that pick ? Odds are Bird is no longer is the GM. The next GM will have different feelings towards Tyler's game. Other team's will be interested in him, does the new GM pull the trigger? How much more money is Mc Roberts worth via free agency if he plays well down this stretch ?

Only Time will Tell,

troyc11a
04-01-2011, 10:11 AM
Tyler Hansbrough's career is at a crossroads. Starting tonight, this stretch of games will decide his future. The Playoffs, Draft Position, & Decision of how much $$$ to resign Mc Roberts for are going to be decided in the next 10 days . If Tyler Hansbrough is able to play well and lead the Pacers to the playoffs he is golden.

If not, The Pacers will have the 8 -10 th pick. What need do they address with that pick ? Odds are Bird is no longer is the GM. The next GM will have different feelings towards Tyler's game. Other team's will be interested in him, does the new GM pull the trigger? How much more money is Mc Roberts worth via free agency if he plays well down this stretch ?

Only Time will Tell,

I seriously doubt that a new GM will look at Tyler and think he needs to upgrade the PF position first thing. GM's are smart and dont get to be where they are by being fools. A second year guy is averaging almost 17/7 since being in the starting line-up. He is not the problem but rather is one of the few bright spots on this team. We have a soft center, and inconsistent and small pg, a sg with tons of potential, and a sf who plays when he feels like it. I would bet the new GM would give the team one more year and then make decisions on the others - not Tyler!

QuickRelease
04-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Tyler Hansbrough's career is at a crossroads. Starting tonight, this stretch of games will decide his future.:eek: He's only a second year player, really playing significantly for the first time. His career is at a crossroads already, and his future ready to be decided...tonight?

Justin Tyme
04-01-2011, 10:30 AM
If not, The Pacers will have the 8 -10 th pick.
Odds are Bird is no longer is the GM.
The next GM will have different feelings towards Tyler's game.

I'd love to see your explanation how the Pacers "realistically" are going to be able to get the 8th or 9th place in the lottery.

What are the odds? I've not seen any published. You got some insider info about Bird retiring you want to share with us? As the biggest anti-Bird FO poster on this forum, I'd love to see it!

And YOU know this HOW? That statement means you must have knowledge of who the next GM is going to be and their feelings towards Tyler. Wanna share that info too?

I realize you are a newbie with exuberance, but let's stay in the world of facts. It lends to the credibility of the poster.

Mackey_Rose
04-01-2011, 10:32 AM
As the biggest anti-Bird FO poster on this forum, I'd love to see it!

Don't steal aaronb's thunder.

Justin Tyme
04-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Don't steal aaronb's thunder.

He's way behind me in line. He just goes more overboard with his feelings.

Lou Bega
04-01-2011, 12:06 PM
I seriously doubt that a new GM will look at Tyler and think he needs to upgrade the PF position first thing. GM's are smart and dont get to be where they are by being fools. A second year guy is averaging almost 17/7 since being in the starting line-up. He is not the problem but rather is one of the few bright spots on this team. We have a soft center, and inconsistent and small pg, a sg with tons of potential, and a sf who plays when he feels like it. I would bet the new GM would give the team one more year and then make decisions on the others - not Tyler!

A new GM = A new style. I believe 100 % a new GM will look to change the face of the franchise via trade. Package Tyler with Danny and see what you can obtain. The new GM may not even like Tyler's style of play.

I really believe Larry Bird is gone if the Pacers don't make the playoffs. This is a crucial 10 days for the Pacers.

Lou Bega
04-01-2011, 12:11 PM
:eek: He's only a second year player, really playing significantly for the first time. His career is at a crossroads already, and his future ready to be decided...tonight?

Hansbrough is 25 years old. That isn't young for a second year player. Yes, Not tonight but by this stretch of games. Read the whole post, before you make comments.

CooperManning
04-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Hansbrough is 25 years old. That isn't young for a second year player. Yes, Not tonight but by this stretch of games. Read the whole post, before you make comments.

I read the whole post and I still disagree with you. Tyler is a 2nd year player that missed most of his rookie season and was benched for a large portion of this season. Yes, he's old for a 2nd year player, but NBA players still improve their game as their careers progress. Tyler does things now that he never did a year ago. I'm excited to see how he develops, regardless of what he does to finish the season.

Unclebuck
04-01-2011, 02:14 PM
I like Tyler as much as anyone. But to me when I project Tyler, Roy and Josh ahead two or three seasons, I still don't think that as a group will be enough to get the Pacers to contender status. Ideally I would like to somehow get a big guy who is better than any of those three guys will be in two or three season. if we could do that the Pacers will have nice size, depth and talent that is needed to win it all.

15th parallel
04-01-2011, 02:29 PM

25 is STILL young for an NBA player. We're just used to the modern system where guys as young as 18 years old enter the NBA. He can still definitely improve his game. He maybe one of the late-bloomers (ala Steve Nash, you just got so much better during his late 20's age).

Jon Theodore
04-01-2011, 03:21 PM
I'd love to see your explanation how the Pacers "realistically" are going to be able to get the 8th or 9th place in the lottery.

What are the odds? I've not seen any published. You got some insider info about Bird retiring you want to share with us? As the biggest anti-Bird FO poster on this forum, I'd love to see it!

And YOU know this HOW? That statement means you must have knowledge of who the next GM is going to be and their feelings towards Tyler. Wanna share that info too?

I realize you are a newbie with exuberance, but let's stay in the world of facts. It lends to the credibility of the poster.

Get off your high horse. He said in his post "Odds are." We seriously need a subforum, for all the holier than thou posters...you guys can do your little debate club thing...the rest of us idiots can have discussions.

Lou Bega
04-01-2011, 03:41 PM
I read the whole post and I still disagree with you. Tyler is a 2nd year player that missed most of his rookie season and was benched for a large portion of this season. Yes, he's old for a 2nd year player, but NBA players still improve their game as their careers progress. Tyler does things now that he never did a year ago. I'm excited to see how he develops, regardless of what he does to finish the season.

The only thing you can disagree with me about is that this upcoming stretch of games is not conerstone to Hansbrough career as a Pacer. I told you why I feel it is. Do you think Larry sticks around if the Pacers miss the playoffs?

QuickRelease
04-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Hansbrough is 25 years old. That isn't young for a second year player. Yes, Not tonight but by this stretch of games. Read the whole post, before you make comments.I did read the entire post before I made my comments. Even though he's an 'older' 2nd year player, there are still nuances to the pro game that he hasn't picked up yet. It has long been commonly accepted that it takes a bit longer for big men to get acclimated to the NBA. This stretch of games or not, this is in essence Hansbrough's rookie season extended. He, like our team, is up and down as a young player. I would make a statement like that about Granger, as I think this stretch is more critical to him than others. Hansbrough, not so much.

troyc11a
04-01-2011, 09:02 PM
A new GM = A new style. I believe 100 % a new GM will look to change the face of the franchise via trade. Package Tyler with Danny and see what you can obtain. The new GM may not even like Tyler's style of play.

I really believe Larry Bird is gone if the Pacers don't make the playoffs. This is a crucial 10 days for the Pacers.

The Pacers have exactly 2 players on this team who are good enough to play on a championship contender. That would be Tyler and DG. Everyone else is 12th man types. DG doesnt even bring it every night and shows little in the way of leadership. Tyler is the only player who plays hard every night.

JEM
04-01-2011, 11:20 PM
I like Tyler as much as anyone. But to me when I project Tyler, Roy and Josh ahead two or three seasons, I still don't think that as a group will be enough to get the Pacers to contender status. Ideally I would like to somehow get a big guy who is better than any of those three guys will be in two or three season. if we could do that the Pacers will have nice size, depth and talent that is needed to win it all.

I think Tyler and Roy can and will be pieces for the future.. Roy has a good bit of potential IMO and he has shown that he can get better and that he is a hard worker but he is just soft at times and that sets him back.

I dont think McRoberts will be on the team next year. He has had a good bit of time already in the NBA and really hasnt improved all that much. To me I feel that Tyler has improved more in this season alone than McRoberts has his 4 years + 3 offseasons and that is troubling.