PDA

View Full Version : Surprising Pacers Stat IMO

Really?
03-31-2011, 11:56 AM
Not really dunleavy related and didn't really feel like making a new thread but I just looked at the Pacers remaining schedule on ESPN and saw some interesting stats.

As far as the NBA goes the pacers are:

15h in ppg, 29th in ast per game, 17th in points allowed, and a surprising 5th in Rebounding. Could this be evidence that maybe we are better in the front court than is typically assumed?

Thoughts?

Oh yeah decided to make a new thread because at the end it seemed so far off topic

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/ind/indiana-pacers

Sobotka
03-31-2011, 12:06 PM
Rebounds per game is affected by pace and shooting percentages. The real stat is rebound percentage. The Pacers are 15th in Defensive Rebound %, and 17th in Offensive Rebound percentage.

Basically, there are more possessions and more missed shots in Pacer games, resulting in more rebounding opportunities. That inflates their rebounds per game. However, they are only about an average rebounding team.

daschysta
03-31-2011, 01:40 PM
Let's not understate how awesome it is for the pacers to actually be average in rebounding though. We were near dead last for a long time despite having the "powerhouse" rebounder troy murphy gobbling up defensive rebounds like his contract depended on it (wait it did! :laugh:).

It's also notable that under frank I believe that we've been comfortably above average rebounding the ball, at least we've been consistantly outrebounding our opponents on a game by game basis.

Ozwalt72
03-31-2011, 02:14 PM
I don't think it's a sign that our front court is better than it seems. More that our wings are better rebounders than we realize.

wintermute
03-31-2011, 02:53 PM
Rebounds per game is affected by pace and shooting percentages. The real stat is rebound percentage. The Pacers are 15th in Defensive Rebound %, and 17th in Offensive Rebound percentage.

Right. But becoming average is still a big improvement from last year, when the Pacers were 22nd in Defensive Rebounding %, and 29th on the Offensive end.

In the midst of Hibbert's up and down season, Roy's improved rebounding numbers seem to have gone unnoticed. His DRB% went up from 15.5 last year to 20.5 this year - I guess Roy's picking up those easy rebounds now. The marked improvement in the ORB% on the other hand seems to have come from replacing Troy Murphy with the Hans/McBob combo.

Don't get me wrong, we still need help on the boards (Kenneth Faried :pray:). But at least we're halfway decent now.

Trophy
03-31-2011, 02:58 PM
Last month, I don't even think we were in the 20s with assists per game.

A lot less ball movement during Dunleavy's time out.

We missed his offense big time.

wintermute
03-31-2011, 03:02 PM
I don't think it's a sign that our front court is better than it seems. More that our wings are better rebounders than we realize.

It's true that we have good rebounding wings in Dunleavy and George (I wanted to say Rush too because I remember him having good rebounding games, but the numbers don't bear this out. He's just too inconsistent, I guess). Just having big wings like Dunleavy and George available as opposed to the 2 PG lineup we regularly trotted out last year does help, I suppose.

Eleazar
03-31-2011, 05:51 PM
With rebounds I don't care about season totals, what I care about is how many rebounds we get compared to our opponent.

Justin Tyme
03-31-2011, 07:50 PM
With rebounds I don't care about season totals, what I care about is how many rebounds we get compared to our opponent.

I want the Pacers to out reb their opponents each game, and keep the opposition offensive rebs low.

NapTonius Monk
03-31-2011, 07:56 PM
It could mean the 'hole' that was supposed to be left behind by the departure of Troy Murphy wasn't as bad as some national people thought.

Naptown_Seth
03-31-2011, 09:06 PM
It could mean the 'hole' that was supposed to be left behind by the departure of Troy Murphy wasn't as bad as some national people thought.
The hole was more of a hill. A hill of cheap uncontested boards that easily fell into the hands of other players, players that no longer needed to fear being knocked aside for a board when all 5 guys from the other team were already back up court.

Will Galen
03-31-2011, 09:19 PM

Basically, there are more possessions and more missed shots in Pacer games, resulting in more rebounding opportunities. That inflates their rebounds per game. However, they are only about an average rebounding team.

Your stat only tells where the Pacers are compared to other teams. The real stat would be how they do against each opponent. It's my observation that they win the rebound battle more than they lose it.

Eleazar
04-01-2011, 01:50 AM
Your stat only tells where the Pacers are compared to other teams. The real stat would be how they do against each opponent. It's my observation that they win the rebound battle more than they lose it.

Exactly, I always questioned why people thought we had huge rebounding problems. I certainly don't think this team is exceptional at rebounding, but I always noticed it was rare for the other team to out rebound us by more than a few rebounds which is just as easily a product of the Pacers missing more shots than because the other team did a better job rebounding.