PDA

View Full Version : ESPN NBA Playoff Predictor

k_lewis93
03-31-2011, 11:09 AM
Everyone should go to it and check it out and read the comments people are putting up. No love at all for the Pacers. I knew that we weren't the most popular team but man most people who are commenting say we have no chance against the Bulls or Celtics whoever we play. IMO I think it will be a good series with the Pacers having a chance. Crazier things have happened and I don't see why the Pacers couldn't pull off an upset on the Bulls or Celtics. We just beat both of those teams and yet we still get no love. It's really starting to get annoying how everything thinks we are Cleveland or something. I really hope the Pacers beat the Bulls or Celtics and show people we are for real now. Not saying it will happen b/c to be honest the chances are probably pretty slim. However, I think if the Pacers can just stay alive and take it to 7 games, then I feel like we have a real chance. If we don't win atleast we will be recognized for almost beating a #1 seed. GO PACERS!

thefeistyone
03-31-2011, 11:23 AM
what???

no love for a team 8 games below .500?

Come on man, even the biggest homers have to admit the pacers are a significant underdog against either of those 2 teams in a 7 game series. They're a young team and you gotta take baby steps. Baby step#1 make the playoffs, baby step #2 don't get swept, baby step#3 win a series.

I'm hoping we can knock out the first 2 steps this year. I'm not saying they can't win, but it would be a big upset if they did.

k_lewis93
03-31-2011, 11:24 AM
what???

no love for a team 8 games below .500?

Come on man, even the biggest homers have to admit the pacers are a significant underdog against either of those 2 teams in a 7 game series. They're a young team and you gotta take baby steps. Baby step#1 make the playoffs, baby step #2 don't get swept, baby step#3 win a series.

I'm hoping we can knock out the first 2 steps this year. I'm not saying they can't win, but it would be a big upset if they did.

I realize it would be a big upset but the way the people on that comment board are talking they think it will be a 4 game series. I think other wise. Never said that we had a good chance I just think it will be a good/fun series.

HC
03-31-2011, 11:37 AM
I realize it would be a big upset but the way the people on that comment board are talking they think it will be a 4 game series. I think other wise. Never said that we had a good chance I just think it will be a good/fun series.

You should probably take into consideration that 9 out of 10 people over there probaby haven't seen the Pacers play a single game this season.

Mark
03-31-2011, 12:04 PM
Love the positivity k_lewis!

BRushWithDeath
03-31-2011, 12:14 PM
If we don't get swept, it will be an upset.

If we win more than a game it will be miraculous.

The odds of us actually winning a series are about equal to my chances of winning the PowerBall.

Kid Minneapolis
03-31-2011, 12:23 PM
If we don't get swept, it will be an upset.

If we win more than a game it will be miraculous.

The odds of us actually winning a series are about equal to my chances of winning the PowerBall.

Always the optimist, aren't ya. Oh wait, "realist".

I don't think it's unrealistic for the Pacers to get 1 win in a series, I'd hardly call that a miracle. We just beat them, it's not impossible. I don't expect them to win the series, but I do reasonably see Indy pulling out a win.

I Love P
03-31-2011, 12:34 PM
My prediction.

Blown out in game 1
lead in game 2 then lose by 8 or so
win game 3
lose game 4 by 6 or so
Blown out in game 6.

k_lewis93
03-31-2011, 12:36 PM
Love the positivity k_lewis!

Thankyou :) IMO if we win the games at home which we have proven to be good at home considering we beat the Celtics and Bulls at home and almost beat the Heat at home. I think if we win our home games we have a chance to win it in 7. IDK how you can say it will be a miracle to win 1 game. Maybe we should try being a little more optimistic towards our team and cheer them on and actually give hope that we can be a Cinderella story instead of just saying, "well I will be happy to get into the playoffs". Show a little faith!

McKeyFan
03-31-2011, 12:41 PM
My prediction.

Blown out in game 1
lead in game 2 then lose by 8 or so
win game 3
lose game 4 by 6 or so
Blown out in game 6.

Did we win game five?

:whoknows:

vnzla81
03-31-2011, 12:56 PM
Did we win game five?

:whoknows:

It was a tie :whoknows:

PaceBalls
03-31-2011, 01:05 PM
With how inconsistent the team is, they will win at least 1, maybe 2, along with some 30 point blowout losses.

I mean look at how bi-polar this team is, sometimes they really bring it and will play like a for real playoff team, other times the IU Hoosiers would beat them by 10. In a 7 game series they will have at least one good game.

daschysta
03-31-2011, 01:31 PM
Can you really blame the casual fan for thinking so?

Someone that doesn't follow the pacers sees a team 8 games below .500 in a very weak, top heavy conference going against a number one seed and makes the safe assumption that a sweep is very likely.

They probably aren't believing winning one game is impossible or anything like that, just going with the odds...

Conventional wisdom dictates that we will most likely lose the series in 4 or 5 games. Now you and I, who have seen the specifics of our bipolar team know that we have the capablility to compete at a high level from time to time, but the casual observer can't be blamed for looking at the numbers, which are heavily stacked against the pacers each and every game of a 7 game series.

Just take a page from reggies book and embrace being the underdog, it isn't like we've earned the benefit of the doubt.

If we make a series out of it the bitter tears of the casual fan will be all the more sweet, and if we don't then it's whats expected of us anyway this year, were young, don't get too worked up about it. We have to earn the respect of the non pacers fanatic, and 8 games below .500 and squeaking into the playoffs hasn't done that yet.'

K_lewis, I guarantee that every fan on this board wants us to do well and win a series or more, but you have to temper your expectations. Don't neccesarily expect the worst, but actually expecting us to win more than maybe one is just unrealistic and ends up hurting more when we don't achieve the expectations.

Brush- Winning one game wouldn't be nearly as miraculous as you make it seem, especially if we're playing some team like the heat at home, winning the series, sure, but don't let your realism become full-blown pessimism, because it begets more pessimism and just isn't fun!. I do however hope that whatever team we end up playing looks at us that way. Underestimation may be our best friend in stealing a game or two.

Sookie
03-31-2011, 01:33 PM
First game will be a blow out

After that, it'll be a competitive series, and we'll get one or two wins.

MrHale
03-31-2011, 01:37 PM
lol i did the predictor game first time i try it we make it to conf finals and lose to celtics. celtics beat mavs in ship

yoadknux
03-31-2011, 01:45 PM
Well of course there's no love for us. If we make the playoffs (which isn't even guaranteed yet) we will get there with the worst record. Also, our roster is inferior to every team in the playoffs. We have no young-shiny superstars who might break out during the playoffs, the closest to that is Granger and I believe both Boston and Chicago should be able to shut him down.
And we lost the season series to both Boston and Chicago (1-3). If we win 2 games I will be pretty satisfied, because we're just not good enough to do more than that at this point. This is from a realistic standpoint. From a Pacer standpoint I'd still look forward to win every game of course.

BRushWithDeath
03-31-2011, 01:46 PM

I don't think it's unrealistic for the Pacers to get 1 win in a series, I'd hardly call that a miracle. We just beat them, it's not impossible. I don't expect them to win the series, but I do reasonably see Indy pulling out a win.

It isn't unrealistic for the Pacers to get 1 win. But it would be an upset. I never said that would be a miracle.

I said it would be a miracle for more than 1 win.

vnzla81
03-31-2011, 02:41 PM
Yeah my only hope is for the games to be close, I just don't see them winning a game.

LA_Confidential
03-31-2011, 03:22 PM
If we make it in, we wont get swept. I think this team is good enough to win two games. I expect us to win games 3 and 5 at minimum. And Im being honest with myself.

GetBuckets
03-31-2011, 03:41 PM
Listen I am all for being optimistic going into the playoffs, and everyone should as a fan of the team. Hell, we haven't been there since I was a junior in high school (about to graduate from IU now), but you are ignoring the hard facts.

Is it great that we beat the Bulls and Celtics? Absolutely, those two teams are in the cream of the crop of the league right now, however both teams were coming off back to backs.

Have you seen how we perform in back to back games? Luckily most of us did not get to witness the horror that was experienced in Memphis after we did beat the Bulls.

The fact of the matter is that winning back-to-back games in the NBA is very difficult, regardless of what team you are. Add into that with the Bulls game that there was no way they could have measured up to our energy level that night after a tough game for them the night before in New Jersey and the Celtics got into early foul trouble with the little bit of front-line they had left and we were in strong position to win those games.

Now, the Bulls and Celtics do come out hungry every night. They don't lose back-to-back games at the frequency of the Pacers. To ignore these factors though is like trusting your friends who are already drunk to monitor how many beers you've downed; its ignorant.

I do not doubt that the Pacers can compete with the Celtics or Bulls and make a series at least an interesting 4-6 games, but to think the inexperienced Indiana team has a legitimate chance to knock off a viable title contender is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

With the way the playoffs are structured (an off-day or more between every game) these much stronger teams will be far more prepared than they were coming off those games from the previous night. I'll be excited if we can steal a game or two (which I doubt would happen on the road), but start there with your optimism. Like someone said the Pacers are 2-6 versus those teams this year, and we only looked mediocre at best in like 3 of those losses.

Isaac
03-31-2011, 07:39 PM
I remember when I was a sunshiner by all means necessary. Then I turned 6.

Shade
03-31-2011, 08:00 PM
You should probably take into consideration that 9 out of 10 people over there probaby haven't seen the Pacers play a single game this season.

Yeah...if any of them had actually seen the Pacers play much this season, they'd predict a 3-game series instead.

Shade
03-31-2011, 08:02 PM
I remember when I was a sunshiner by all means necessary. Then I turned 6.

You silly late-bloomers.

Shade
03-31-2011, 08:06 PM

We beat them (barely) when they were without their second-best player (Boozer). That makes a huge difference.

We would be lucky to win one game. The Bulls are a match-up nightmare for us.

daschysta
03-31-2011, 08:27 PM
We beat them (barely) when they were without their second-best player (Boozer). That makes a huge difference.

We would be lucky to win one game. The Bulls are a match-up nightmare for us.

The bulls were on an 8 game win streak. They were playing better then than they have since boozer returned. It's not the end all of awesomeness, but it was a good, solid win against a team that was on top of their game leading up to it.

It isn't as if we haven't competed well this year against top competition. Los angeles at home was really nice, and we've played the heat close multiple times despite the fact that they were looking for revenge for our drubbing of them in their house.

We aren't winning a series, but a game or two is both doable and would be a nice platform for a more consistant season next year.

pwee31
03-31-2011, 08:33 PM
I did that Playoff Predictor about a week ago, and on the 1st try it had the Pacers upsetting the Bulls in the 1st round AND the Magic in the semis.

We lost in the Eastern Conference Finals to the Celtics who beat the Spurs. I didn't even attempt it after that 1st try... it was not going to get any better!

Will Galen
03-31-2011, 08:47 PM
Without me preaching my mantra that we have to make the playoffs first . . .

. . . if Chicago stays focused and there are no important injuries then we should be broom fodder.

However. . .

1] Chicago is a young team itself and when teams get up a couple games they tend to relax a bit. A win or two is possible.

2] If Rose would have an injury, then an upset is possible.

3] It's not out of the realm of possibilities that we could have a player or two blow up. For instant Rush can play, what if he really gets aggressive and brings it? Or what if George arrives at his potential way early? Or what if Collison averages 20 points a game against Rose? Stranger things have happened.

The thing about the playoffs is young guys can suddenly start taking everything seriously.

As Bird says, (Paraphased) Once you get to the playoffs anything can happen.

15th parallel
03-31-2011, 09:37 PM
Winning against a top team is not impossible for this team. Although inconsistent, they have shown that they have the tools to win against the likes of Bulls, Celtics, Miami, etc. I mean, even a sub-par Atlanta Hawks team gave the Champion Celtics team a handful by driving the series to 7 games.

If I am to choose which among the current top teams the Pacers would want to match-up with, I will choose Bulls or Heat for the simple reason that they are a newly-formed lineup and yet to see how their regular season gameplay will translate into the playoffs. These kinds of teams tend to collape on the playoffs because of less familiarity, and as underdogs that are "less-pressured" as compared to these "expected title-contenders", the Pacers can take advantage of it. Aside from that, those 2 teams tend to focus their offense on 1 or 2 players only, so they are more predictable than the likes of Celtics.

Tightly-bonded teams like the Celtics, Spurs and Lakers are the dangerous teams because the level of their play always turns up several notches come playoff time. The only thing that can slow them down is by injuries to key players (which has been happening to the Spurs on the previous years). If we somehow face the Bulls or Miami in the playoffs, I don't expect a sweep and winning 1 or 2 games in the seires is not that far-fetched as many people think.

PR07
03-31-2011, 10:38 PM
I could easily see us winning two games, I don't however see us winning a series unless a catastrophic injury would happen to the other team.