PDA

View Full Version : BDL: Paul Pierce is still pretty sure Indiana wants his used gum

Basketball Fan
03-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Well it doesn't look as bad as last time but if he threw it at the wrong person he deserves to be beat down

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Video-Paul-Pierce-is-still-pretty-sure-Indiana-?urn=nba-wp612#mwpphu-container

Video: Paul Pierce is still pretty sure Indiana wants his used gum
By Dan Devine
On December 28, 2010, Boston Celtics captain Paul Pierce(notes) got called for what he felt was a questionable foul during the first quarter of a game against the Indiana Pacers. After C's coach Doc Rivers called Pierce back to the bench, the star forward decided to take the gum out of his mouth and toss it into the stands.

The unsanctioned disposal earned "The Truth" a $15,000 fine because, as ESPN Boston's Chris Forsberg reported, "According to someone in the stands, it appeared Pierce threw the gum directly at a fan." It didn't appear quite so malicious on television, but even if the decision to just chuck the gum into the crowd was a relatively benign brainfart that wasn't indicative of boiling rage, simmering frustration or even lukewarm bitterness, it was still weird.

So it was kind of surprising to see Pierce do something similarly tacky on Monday night.

Three months to the day after Pierce's first offense, the Celtics once again met the Pacers at Conseco Fieldhouse (eventually losing to Indiana by a 107-100 mark). Once again, the Celtics were called for a questionable first-quarter foul (this time, Kevin Garnett(notes) was the guilty party). And, as you can see in the clip above, once again, Pierce (who finished with 23 points on 8-13 shooting) punctuates his argument with the officials by removing the gum from his mouth and wingin' it toward the sideline.

Listen, people who can afford courtside seats to Pacers games can afford their own gum, Paul Pierce. They can even afford the kind of fancy-schmancy gum that gets under the skin of bros who post on Fender guitar message boards. (Yeah -- they're doing that well.) They don't want your flavorless hand-me-down celebrity gum. And even if they did, they'd rather have gum that was chewed by hometown heroes like Tyler Hansbrough(notes) or Josh McRoberts(notes). Now they've got saliva you can set your watch to!

Beyond that, there's one basic point that I fear you are missing, Paul Pierce: While having a piece/stick of gum is great, having other people's chewed gum flicked in your direction is super gross! Setting aside the fact that you lost $15,000 the last time you did this -- which, granted, isn't a huge amount of money to a dude who's made something like $137 million in salary over the past 12-plus years, but is still a remarkable figure to pay OVER A PIECE OF GUM -- it is really not a nice thing to do! Captains lead by example, Paul. Not by taking things out of their mouths and throwing them around all willy-nilly.

Given the apparent trajectory of Pierce's toss, it seems unlikely that the gum went into the stands this time, so you wouldn't figure that Pierce will face any fiscal repercussions from his repeat gumfense. Still, though, it would probably be a good idea for him to stop doing this, if for no other reason than if one of his teammates steps in gum on the way to the scorer's table, he'll know exactly who to blame.

Video courtesy of the lovely and talented MrTripleDouble10.

NuffSaid
03-30-2011, 11:27 AM
Didn't know Paul Pierce got fined for tossing his gum the last time the Celtics visited. I did see him do it again in the Celtics' most recent matchup against the Pacers and wondered what happens if a player got gum stuck on his shoe? Guess he'd have to wait until the next time out to go change his shoes if he brought another pair with him.

That aside, I wonder if Pierce will be fined again for doing the same thing twice?

TMJ31
03-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Really makes me wish I had been sitting in the line of fire of the gum so I could throw it back at him and embarrass him in front of an arena full of people... (Then get arrested and elevated to martyr status ;) )

redfoster
03-30-2011, 03:07 PM
I'm happy we are pissing him off enough to pull this kind of stuff. Maybe next time he will rush the stands and try to fight Area 55? We can only hope.

Trophy
03-30-2011, 03:16 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qBfDiV0DzAg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I guess Pierce wants a rivalry between us and them.

He's caused some havoc at the Fieldhouse a few times. Between throwing gum at people to slamming Danny's face to the floor making him lose his teeth.

LG33
03-30-2011, 03:26 PM
How anyone doesn't love this guy is beyond me:

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/9938/pp1ax.jpg

Dr. Hibbert
03-30-2011, 03:28 PM
I can't understand how anyone could be a Paul Pierce fan. He puts LeBron's whining to shame. Such a tool.

I always think of Paul Pierce on those Celtics teams the Pacers would own and imagine he sent a hologram to Minnesota saying "save me, KG, you're my only hope!"

LG33
03-30-2011, 03:37 PM
I guess I will always like Paul Pierce because he's the first (and among the very few since) player I saw in college and thought would be a star in the NBA. As for the whining, can you blame him? He was taught by one of the best in the game:

http://celebforeclosures.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/antoine_walker.jpg

PacerDude
03-30-2011, 04:07 PM
While I can take no credit for being the one to initially call him this (can't remember who it was .........), I'll bring it back up again.

Paul Pierce is a chode.

ilive4sports
03-30-2011, 04:09 PM
Yes I can blame him because just because you play with a whiner doesn't mean you have to be one. Pierce gets more and more annoying each year. He is a good player, but never has been in that upper echelon of the NBA like he thinks he is. Three years ago I was rooting for the Celtics to beat the Lakers in the championship, but now, I'd rather see any other team win because of how annoying the Celtics have become. Outside of Ray Allen, I just don't like them. Paul Pierce being a big baby is a big reason why.

Lord Helmet
03-30-2011, 04:09 PM
Paul needs his wheelchair.

Lord Helmet
03-30-2011, 04:10 PM
Yes I can blame him because just because you play with a whiner doesn't mean you have to be one. Pierce gets more and more annoying each year. He is a good player, but never has been in that upper echelon of the NBA like he thinks he is. Three years ago I was rooting for the Celtics to beat the Lakers in the championship, but now, I'd rather see any other team win because of how annoying the Celtics have become. Outside of Ray Allen, I just don't like them. Paul Pierce being a big baby is a big reason why.
I only like Ray, JO and Shaq. The rest are dbags to me.

Then you have all these bandwagon loser fans. I bet they were fans before KG.....:unimpress Get the hell out of the Fieldhouse.

Basketball Fan
03-30-2011, 04:17 PM
I'm happy we are pissing him off enough to pull this kind of stuff. Maybe next time he will rush the stands and try to fight Area 55? We can only hope.

I doubt Area 55 allows wheelchair access.

Dr. Hibbert
03-30-2011, 04:37 PM
I only like Ray, JO and Shaq. The rest are dbags to me.

Then you have all these bandwagon loser fans. I bet they were fans before KG.....:unimpress Get the hell out of the Fieldhouse.

That's the thing...the bandwagon fans. I was lucky enough to get row 5 floor tix the last time the Celts visited the Fieldhouse and wow...the ignorance of a bandwagon fan. It's not exclusive to the Celtics, of course, but those bandwagon fans of big-market cities tend to be the worst. I was trying to be friendly with some and just talk basketball and THEY KNEW NOTHING ABOUT THEIR TEAM! I should never know more about another fan's team than they do. Sigh.

Sometimes I don't think these people are bandwagon fans so much as anti-hometown fans. They just want to be douches and root against the hometown team. Case in point, these Celts fans were just trying to taunt Pacers fans and pick fights the entire time. One of them tried to pick a fight with my friend's 14-year-old brother. Seriously.

(Although to be fair, the kid told him to "shut the f--k up and sit down" after he got fed up with the douche taunting Pacers fans.)

Basketball Fan
03-30-2011, 05:29 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qBfDiV0DzAg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I guess Pierce wants a rivalry between us and them.

He's caused some havoc at the Fieldhouse a few times. Between throwing gum at people to slamming Danny's face to the floor making him lose his teeth.

He sees how much fun the Colts/Pats have and wants the basketball relatives to experience the same

Shade
03-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Speaking of bandwagon fans, I'm currently sitting in a restaurant listening to a "Butler fan" who doesn't even know who they're playing in the FF.

"If they win, they're in the championship, right?"

:picard:

Shade
03-30-2011, 05:44 PM
As for PP (which also stands for "pee pants"), with this being his second offense, he should be suspended.

Basketball Fan
03-30-2011, 05:50 PM
Speaking of bandwagon fans, I'm currently sitting in a restaurant listening to a "Butler fan" who doesn't even know who they're playing in the FF.

And people wonder why I get annoyed with the bandwagon Colts fans in this city when I say when Manning retires the fans will go too.......

TheDon
03-30-2011, 06:12 PM
area 55 should make note of this and make up some chant for the next time he comes to the fieldhouse.

Maybe he's still pissed about Ron Artest almost depantsing him lol.

HC
03-31-2011, 08:11 AM

No thanks, I'll pass on the malice part two. On another note it is probably a good thing for Paul that he threw his gum to the floor this time around. Had he thrown it into the crowd he surely would've hit a Boston fan.

Stryder
03-31-2011, 11:20 AM
Where's that paul pierce picture of the wheelchair sign and his head? I love that thing.

ndcoltsnpacers
03-31-2011, 12:30 PM
That's the thing...the bandwagon fans. I was lucky enough to get row 5 floor tix the last time the Celts visited the Fieldhouse and wow...the ignorance of a bandwagon fan. It's not exclusive to the Celtics, of course, but those bandwagon fans of big-market cities tend to be the worst. I was trying to be friendly with some and just talk basketball and THEY KNEW NOTHING ABOUT THEIR TEAM! I should never know more about another fan's team than they do. Sigh.

Reminds me of when I was at our game vs. the Lakers this year. Just as the game got underway I overheard this convo between a couple of their "fans".
Idiot 1: Hey who's our point guard?
Idiot 2: I don't know.

Seriously? Even I know who your freaking point guard is and I don't own any kobe jerseys.

Dr. Hibbert
03-31-2011, 02:30 PM

Sounds like a lot of "Butler fans." I'm apathetic toward Butler, but that crap really annoys me. I grew up going to games in the Fieldhouse (mostly in the Darnell Archey era) and I have quite a few friends that are BU alum or are still going to school there. So I feel that I know a good deal about the team and, for the most part, always have. It's not difficult to know Butler's starting five when you live in Indy.

But every year around tournament time, Butler's fanbase doubles and the bandwagon jumpers couldn't tell you Zach Hahn from Zach Galifianakis. So damn annoying. The logic is always the same: "I'm in Indy, therefore I have to be a hardcore Butler fan in March!"

I just never understood that, personally. Especially now that they aren't really the underdogs anymore and I've expected them to win every game in this tourney so far except Pitt.

huber14
03-31-2011, 07:34 PM
Where's that paul pierce picture of the wheelchair sign and his head? I love that thing.

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq220/lakerpride161724/wheelchair.png

Isaac
03-31-2011, 07:37 PM
That's the thing...the bandwagon fans. I was lucky enough to get row 5 floor tix the last time the Celts visited the Fieldhouse and wow...the ignorance of a bandwagon fan. It's not exclusive to the Celtics, of course, but those bandwagon fans of big-market cities tend to be the worst.

Since when is Boston a big city?

Stryder
03-31-2011, 07:51 PM
http://thelakersnation.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/bum.jpg

ilive4sports
03-31-2011, 07:54 PM
Since when is Boston a big city?

Always? He is saying big market cities and Boston is a huge market. There is a reason ESPN Boston exists.

Stryder
03-31-2011, 07:56 PM
Boston:

Big market.
Big ratings.
In 20-25th in city population in the US.

Indianapolis is about +200,000 in population over Boston.

Isaac
03-31-2011, 07:59 PM
Always? He is saying big market cities and Boston is a huge market. There is a reason ESPN Boston exists.

Indianapolis is bigger than Boston.

Sure, Bostonīs metropolitain is bigger, but it is still smaller than Atlanta and Washington and you donīt here people calling the Hawks or Wizards big market bandwagon teams. Boston is a storied NBA franchise, and so are the Red Sox. Thatīs why ESPN Boston exists. Itīs a pretty small city.

Naptown_Seth
03-31-2011, 08:18 PM
Indy is a sprawl city. The reason Indy ranks low on "metro area" and high on "city only" is because Indy counts the metro area as the "city". If you are going out to Greenwood and Carmel as "city", that's not the same distance that other cities count as part of the city proper.

Boston is giant compared to Indy when you look at people per square mile. Super dense, large city. It is SIX TIMES denser than Indy. Indy is puny when you look at density. It's a big city because you are counting half the state as part of downtown, all since incorporating the 9 townships decades ago.

ilive4sports
03-31-2011, 08:35 PM
Indianapolis is bigger than Boston.

Sure, Bostonīs metropolitain is bigger, but it is still smaller than Atlanta and Washington and you donīt here people calling the Hawks or Wizards big market bandwagon teams. Boston is a storied NBA franchise, and so are the Red Sox. Thatīs why ESPN Boston exists. Itīs a pretty small city.

The huge market goes past the city limits of Boston though. It's pretty much the entire northeast. After NY, everything else is full of Boston fans, whether they be Celtics/Pats/Bruins/Red Sox fans. They rule the northeast. I never said it was a big city. I said it was a big market city.