PDA

View Full Version : Why NO flagrant fouls this season for the Pacers

Unclebuck
02-06-2004, 11:33 PM
It is amazing to me that the pacers have not committed one flagrant foul this season and we are 51 games in, almost 2/3 of the way into the season and the Pacers have not really even come close to getting a flagrant foul called against them.

My question is WHY?

Does anyone know how many the Pacers committed last season, I'm guessing 12 or 13 maybe 15. I don't know.

As I am thinking back on this season, it seems like the Pacers are in so much better defensive help position that they rarely have to commit a foul just to keep the opponent from getting a layup or dunk, where as last season it seemed like the Pacers were always fouling hard to stop a layup or dunk.

So I credit the Pacers defensive system, their scheme as much as anything for the lack of flagrant fouls.

It is more than the coaches just telling the players, "don't commit fragrant fouls" The coaches have the players in good position so they don't have to foul

ROCislandWarrior
02-06-2004, 11:38 PM
The Pacers are still considered a "Rough" team...it's just they are playing smarter, and yes the defensive system carlise has installed has alot to do with our lack of flagrants.

ChicagoJ
02-06-2004, 11:41 PM
To expand,

Last year's team was 'encouraged' to play a certain type of defense.

There wasn't much help D or team defense schemes. Therefore, if a guard got beat (and our guards weren't good defenders), the interior defenders weren't in a position to help out appropriately.

Although we had some good individual defenders, we were a team that didn't play very good defense, or very physical defense, but we sure fouled hard.

Some of hard fouls would not have been called flagrants on other teams; that was our 'punishment' and, although I didn't like it, I couldn't really argue with it.

Gotta run...

I must admit that I fell asleep during the fourth quarter tonight, so I can't really comment on tonight's game anywhere except its always nice to pick up every road win against a divisional opponent. :D

sixthman
02-07-2004, 12:24 AM
There weren't many flagrant fouls last year other than Artest's were there?

Also, I believe Artest went the last 12 games of the regular season and the six playoff games without a flagrant foul. So, I think before this season began he had seen the light. That flagrant foul business was too expensive and foolish anyway.

My observation is that the P's got caught up last year in that "bad boy" nonsense and it got out of hand before Thomas could reign in the monster he created.

Funny you brought this up because as I watched tonight's game I remarked several times about how cool under fire Ron was, even in the face of a bad call. He just played on, not bothering with the refs.

Ron has become an unbelieveably smart ball player with a high bball IQ and professional attitude.

zxc
02-07-2004, 12:40 AM
There weren't many flagrant fouls last year other than Artest's were there?

Think Brad Miller had quite a few as well. And I remember one or two from Foster.

Unclebuck
02-07-2004, 09:40 AM
I know the Pacers led the league last season in flagrant fouls.

Ragnar
02-07-2004, 10:34 AM
Style of defense. It is all Rick we dont get beat down the floor and thats where most of the flagrants came. Other teams are not running on us all the time like they did last year because we get back. It is as simple as that.

Anthem
02-07-2004, 03:34 PM
I think it has less to do with running the floor and more to do with better help defense... our guards still get beat but the rotations are better.