PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Tournament Games

Kraut N Beer
03-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Why are they only showing the NIT games and not the first round NCAA games on TV? Only available online?

grace
03-16-2011, 07:13 PM
NCAA games are on Tru TV, TBS, TNT, and CBS.

Kraut N Beer
03-17-2011, 09:44 AM
I thought I checked TNT and TBS last night. I'll have to locate Tru TV on the channel listing. That seems like an odd fit for NCAA games! Thanks.

BRushWithDeath
03-17-2011, 12:12 PM
The First Four was a resounding failure. You didn't miss anything worth watching by not finding truTV.

Though it does seem odd to me that they aren't moving the local games to the local CBS station. I imagine there are some Butler fans in Indy who can't find the game right now.

Foul on Smits
03-17-2011, 12:45 PM
Cbs is not broadcasting in hd. Fail.

Tru tv is so I'm glad the butler game is on that channel. Its 37 on comcast.

Trader Joe
03-17-2011, 01:53 PM
Man, CBS is the worst sports channel ever. I don't know how they've owned the tourney for this long.

Also, way to go on blocking out Matt Howard on the final play Old Dominion. I mean it's not like he's Butler's best post player or anything.

Dab
03-17-2011, 02:00 PM
My gripe about CBS MMOD online is that there is a little box displayed with the score of the game that is about a minute or so ahead of the action. I watched the last minute of the Butler game with the final score staring me in the face. Still an exciting finish though.

Foul on Smits
03-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Man, CBS is the worst sports channel ever. I don't know how they've owned the tourney for this long.

Also, way to go on blocking out Matt Howard on the final play Old Dominion. I mean it's not like he's Butler's best post player or anything.

More like not blocking out Smith. He kept that ball alive for howard. And playing about sixteen minutes with four fouls was epic.

Since86
03-17-2011, 02:06 PM
The First Four was a resounding failure. You didn't miss anything worth watching by not finding truTV.

They did get better ratings for the games this year, than they have in previous years, even with the fact that not everyone gets TruTV.

Ratings are all that matters.

Trader Joe
03-17-2011, 02:30 PM
More like not blocking out Smith. He kept that ball alive for howard. And playing about sixteen minutes with four fouls was epic.

Huh? They blocked out Smith. He just happens to be 6'11". They completely ignored the weak side though.

Trader Joe
03-17-2011, 02:30 PM
My gripe about CBS MMOD online is that there is a little box displayed with the score of the game that is about a minute or so ahead of the action. I watched the last minute of the Butler game with the final score staring me in the face. Still an exciting finish though.

Mine has been a little bit behind.

Trader Joe
03-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Yeah I picked that Morehead State game. Not trying to toot my own horn anyting. /stops channeling his inner Naptime Seth

ilive4sports
03-17-2011, 03:11 PM
that was heartbreaking for my Nittany Lions...

PacerDude
03-17-2011, 06:55 PM
1st weekend of the NCAA tournament.

Best four days in sports. PERIOD. NOTHING compares. Nothing.

Foul on Smits
03-18-2011, 01:11 AM
Am I the only person that thought ODU was incredibly under seeded? Best rebounding team in the country, one of the best defensive teams in the country, 27-7, 5 wins over current tournament teams, including xavier.

9 seed?

Foul on Smits
03-18-2011, 01:15 AM
6 wins actually. They beat a really good George Mason team. And nearly beat Georgetown.

Trader Joe
03-18-2011, 07:34 AM
Yeah I thought ODU should be a 5, but then they came out and laid that stinker yesterday so who knows. That Butler-ODU game was almost painful to watch.

Trader Joe
03-18-2011, 09:47 AM
Also can someone explain to me how Kemba Walker isn't a lock top 10 pick?

pacer4ever
03-18-2011, 11:50 AM

he is about 5"9

I still think he will go top 10 he is a beast

Trader Joe
03-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Nah, he's 6 feet for sure.

Kstat
03-18-2011, 12:36 PM

Because he has no pro position. He's a SG in a PGs body.

He reminds me a ton of Bobby Jackson.

Trader Joe
03-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Ben Gordon went like what, 3rd overall? How is Kemba any different?

Kstat
03-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Kemba's smaller, and doesn't have quite the range.

That said, Ben Gordon was drafted way too high.

Stryder
03-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Kemba is listed at ESPN as 6'1", but there's no way he's any taller than 5'11".

Kstat
03-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Yeah Ben Gordon small as he is has at least 3 inches and 30 lbs on Kemba.

pacer4ever
03-18-2011, 04:49 PM
Because he has no pro position. He's a SG in a PGs body.

He reminds me a ton of Bobby Jackson.

this

Pacersalltheway10
03-18-2011, 04:55 PM
I got called a loser today because I picked Butler over Pittsburgh.

I also picked the morehead state and Richmond upsets the only game I missed was Penn state and temple.

ilive4sports
03-18-2011, 05:10 PM
I got called a loser today because I picked Butler over Pittsburgh.

I also picked the morehead state and Richmond upsets the only game I missed was Penn state and temple.

If Jeff Brooks didn't get hurt PSU would have won.

I wouldn't be all that surprised if Butler beat Pittsburgh. I mean its Pitt we are talking about, they don't go past the elite 8. I have Pitt losing the next round though.

dal9
03-18-2011, 10:46 PM
looking like purdue-vcu for the sweet sixteen...anybody know anything about them?

edit: ...other than they just curb stomped Gtown? They'll be playing their 3rd game in 6 days, so that should help the boilers

dal9
03-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Wow this Butler game! Pitt gets game handed to it by refs and they pizz it away in shocking fashion...fouling Howard on the rebound is a mental error that could (should) get a coach fired...

Foul on Smits
03-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Unreal and bot fouls were correct calls

Pacersalltheway10
03-19-2011, 08:29 PM
haha whose the loser now lol

dal9
03-19-2011, 08:34 PM
Unreal and bot fouls were correct calls

you sure? i think you could let the first one go, given the game situation...that said, if you call the first, you have to call the second...and that is why the pitt foul was such a huge mental error...you (or at least the coach) has got to know the refs will be looking for a make up call, and you cant get even close to fouling!

Foul on Smits
03-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Macks foul was correct. It was the equivalent of a force out foul. His body was all over brown

dal9
03-19-2011, 09:00 PM
^yeah that was a really stupid play too...but not as dumb as the foul against howard on the board

edit: just saw a couple more replays of the mack foul...i still think that the refs probably should not have called it...

Stryder
03-19-2011, 09:12 PM
^yeah that was a really stupid play too...but not as dumb as the foul against howard on the board

edit: just saw a couple more replays of the mack foul...i still think that the refs probably should not have called it...

A foul is a foul is a foul.

dal9
03-19-2011, 09:19 PM
I should have written "alleged" foul...

Mackey_Rose
03-19-2011, 09:23 PM
They were both fouls. Both insanely stupid, and both the right call.

Sookie
03-20-2011, 02:39 AM
screw Louisville and Pitt..for consistently being my bracket busters..

pacer4ever
03-20-2011, 02:41 AM
screw Louisville and Pitt..for consistently being my bracket busters..

I want to thank Pitt I picked BYU to the final 4 and Pitt just lost. So should be easier for them now.

Duke is winning it all

pacer4ever
03-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Michigan vs Duke how ironic. I bet Jalen Rose is at home on the edge of his seat Michigan down 1

pacer4ever
03-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Morris misses a bunny for the tie Duke wins

Trader Joe
03-20-2011, 11:31 PM
That was not a good final shot. Morris had Hardaway cutting. Made a selfish play and paid for it.

pacer4ever
03-21-2011, 01:15 AM
That was not a good final shot. Morris had Hardaway cutting. Made a selfish play and paid for it.

he had a wide open 5 fter he had a really good look. I thoght it was fine and as good of look as you could of hoped for.

Trader Joe
03-21-2011, 07:40 AM
he had a wide open 5 fter he had a really good look. I thoght it was fine and as good of look as you could of hoped for.

I just didn't like it. That was basically a running floater in the lane. He's not good enough to make that shot consistently.

pacer4ever
03-21-2011, 07:53 AM
I just didn't like it. That was basically a running floater in the lane. He's not good enough to make that shot consistently.

Hardway Jr. is good but Morris is the best player on the team. He is projected first rd pick next year(maybe even lottery). When your best player gets a good look thats all you can ask for.

But that would have been so ironic if Duke would have lost.

Kstat
03-22-2011, 11:02 AM

That's ridiculous. Just about the only shot he DOES make consistently is the running floater in the lane.

We'll be back next year, and we'll see Duke again. It just wasn't our time yet.

Trader Joe
03-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Yeah it's a much better shot than the layup Hardaway would have had...

Kstat
03-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Also ridiculous. He wasn't that open.

Since86
03-22-2011, 12:49 PM
I thought he had another dribble left. Kelly stepped up really early, and established position, there was no way he was going to foul him. I think he could have put the ball down one more time and went either left or right. Plently of time left, get all the way to the rim and get a better shot, or draw contact.

While he might hit floaters consistantly, you can't discount the fact that he had been running almost full speed for a good portion of the court. You're going to have a lot more momentum built up, rather if you started the drive from the 3pt line. If you're going to go with a floater, then use the backboard!

Unclebuck
03-22-2011, 02:45 PM

I don't believe that, nor do I believe it should be. A foul is about a player gaining an advantage over another player by committing a foul. If you are dribbling the ball and I touch your arm, but it in no way effects your ability to dribble the ball and in no way effects what you want to do with the ball, then it should not be a foul. Just because there is contact doesn't mean it is a foul.

I miss the way the NBA used to be called, because it was so much better back in the day when the refs were good enough to call the games like I describe.

Stryder
03-22-2011, 05:34 PM
I don't believe that, nor do I believe it should be. A foul is about a player gaining an advantage over another player by committing a foul. If you are dribbling the ball and I touch your arm, but it in no way effects your ability to dribble the ball and in no way effects what you want to do with the ball, then it should not be a foul. Just because there is contact doesn't mean it is a foul.

I miss the way the NBA used to be called, because it was so much better back in the day when the refs were good enough to call the games like I describe.

I think you're wrong.

Of course, just because there is contact, it doesn't mean it's a foul. But a foul at the beginning of the game should be a foul at the end of the game and vice versa. Refs swallowing the whistle just because there is less than a minute on the clock is about the most ridiculous and unfair thing they can do.

idioteque
03-24-2011, 09:36 PM
Listening to Reggie call the Butler game is a little trip to Hoosier heaven for me.

Pig Nash
03-24-2011, 10:25 PM
Andrew Smith just stuffed himself, and still scored!

Pig Nash
03-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Aww man, now he looks like he's hurt bad.

Pig Nash
03-24-2011, 10:30 PM
Looks like it's just an ankle.

idioteque
03-24-2011, 10:44 PM
Wisconsin is shockingly bad tonight. I really thought they would blow Butler out.

Pig Nash
03-24-2011, 11:18 PM
Now Butler is trying to give it away. Frak.

Pig Nash
03-24-2011, 11:27 PM
Frantic finish, but Butler holds on. Phew.

Trader Joe
03-24-2011, 11:33 PM
So in bounds plays...Butler should practice them. Otherwise if I'm Florida, I'm pressing from the tip off with all my length and athleticism.

Pacersalltheway10
03-24-2011, 11:58 PM
Wisconsin is shockingly bad tonight. I really thought they would blow Butler out.

People still haven't learned their lesson from last year. You just don't count out Butler, no matter what.

indygeezer
03-25-2011, 10:18 AM
the Perfect Storm......

Which came first.....Wisconsin's press or Butler slowing it down to run off time and losing their edge? I believe they lulled themselves to sleep. Going to sleep also meant they weren't coming after the ball and thus allowed themselves to get trapped in the corners. I think they may see they tapes showing that ALOT.

Trader Joe
03-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Either way Geez, if I'm Florida, I'm pressing from the tip off tomorrow.

Kegboy
03-25-2011, 05:14 PM
Either way Geez, if I'm Florida, I'm pressing from the tip off tomorrow.

Yep, even my mom was saying today that Butler's in real trouble after that.

dal9
03-25-2011, 11:01 PM
one big east and no big ten teams make it out of the sweet sixteen...how embarrassing for both

Pig Nash
03-25-2011, 11:21 PM
I don't know, this tourney has been crazy.

Elite 8

UConn
Arizona
UNC
Kentucky
Kansas
Florida
Butler
VCU/FSU

So 2 SEC teams and either 2 ACC teams or 2 Mid Major teams. But Wisconsin played badly until 5 minutes left to go, and Ohio State played a tight game and lost on a last second shot. Kansas's tourney to lose now.

Hicks
03-25-2011, 11:57 PM
Yep, even my mom was saying today that Butler's in real trouble after that.

The good news is that Brad Stevens is surely well aware of it and is going to have them ready to deal with it, as well as they're capable of doing it, anyway.

Hopefully they have at least a minimum ability to deal with it when they both expect it and have prepared for it.

idioteque
03-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Butler hold their own so far, but Mack again is doing everything. Howard needs to get in his groove or I fear it won't stay this close for long.

Bball
03-26-2011, 04:36 PM
This is a scary matchup for the Bulldogs. But the Bulldogs have seen scary matchups before and more than held their own.

Go Dogs!

SoupIsGood
03-26-2011, 06:22 PM
Damn ! Talk about a great time to be a Butler student :D incredible!

Jared Sullinger
03-27-2011, 03:07 PM
VCU's mopping the floor with Kansas in the first half.

An 8th seed vs. an 11th seed in the semi-finals?

dal9
03-27-2011, 03:15 PM
can you imagine poor dj byrd trying to rebound against these guys (i.e. KU frontline)? probably better that vcu knocked us out

Trader Joe
03-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Things are really breaking Butler's way it seems.

SoupIsGood
03-27-2011, 05:43 PM
Love that we don't have to face the Morris twins. Love that one of either Butler or VCU is guaranteed to be in the final game. Great stuff!

The butler bookstore is swamped with people buying crap.

grace
03-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Love that one of either Butler or VCU is guaranteed to be in the final game.

:2tup:

Sollozzo
03-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Kentucky is winning this championship.

Sandman21
03-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Kentucky is winning this championship.

Until it is vacated in the almost inevitable NCAA investigation of Calipari.

Since86
03-28-2011, 12:23 PM
The NCAA is the big winner in all of this. When they expanded the tournament, they wanted to be sure that the first round games weren't considered "play-in games" eventhough that's how they're referred too mostly. Well one of those "play-in" teams are in the Final Four, which strengthens the case of expansion.

I hate listening to some ESPN hack ***** and moan about how there aren't any really strong teams anymore, none that go out and handle their business and you know they're the best. Who freaking cares? I love seeing a team like VCU hand it to all the power conferences. I hate how ESPN and the only cover them, like their the only thing going on in the land of college basketball.

Great games, and upsets are what make the tournament so great. Not one really good school who rolls everyone. They try to make the argument that it's because the level of college basketball has dropped. I don't think so. I think it's the exact opposite. Winning on that level requires so much dedication, practice, and execution. It's more of a testament on how good the whole college basketball landscape is, rather than how weak the top is.

The only thing that sucks is that it will be over in a week. Then another 340 some days til we get to do it all over again.

Basketball Fan
03-28-2011, 01:46 PM
The NCAA is the big winner in all of this. When they expanded the tournament, they wanted to be sure that the first round games weren't considered "play-in games" eventhough that's how they're referred too mostly. Well one of those "play-in" teams are in the Final Four, which strengthens the case of expansion.

I hate listening to some ESPN hack ***** and moan about how there aren't any really strong teams anymore, none that go out and handle their business and you know they're the best. Who freaking cares? I love seeing a team like VCU hand it to all the power conferences. I hate how ESPN and the only cover them, like their the only thing going on in the land of college basketball.

Great games, and upsets are what make the tournament so great. Not one really good school who rolls everyone. They try to make the argument that it's because the level of college basketball has dropped. I don't think so. I think it's the exact opposite. Winning on that level requires so much dedication, practice, and execution. It's more of a testament on how good the whole college basketball landscape is, rather than how weak the top is.

The only thing that sucks is that it will be over in a week. Then another 340 some days til we get to do it all over again.

I'm all for BSPN bashing as much as the next person but they do have a bit of a point. We may all want to see underdogs win it all but usually we don't want to see two underdogs play for all the marbles at the end. Which is why they are glad that Butler/VCU are playing on Saturday instead of Monday.

Sure those schools would care but from a national standpoint probably not as much. I don't think they would get high ratings.

People don't admit this but they do want to see the big dog in the end doesn't mean they want them to win necessarily.

Its like when people say that the media etc favor Duke.. its not because they like Duke its because for all of Duke's fans there are just as many detractors.

Duke/Butler got monster ratings you had the blueblood big power(Duke) vs the underdog (Butler)

I expect the same regardless because the Butler/VCU winner is the underdog to the blueblood of UConn/Kentucky