PDA

View Full Version : Official Butler Basketball Thread

Pacersalltheway10
03-08-2011, 07:50 PM
If Indiana and Purdue have one , the runner ups last year should have one. They are on a hot streak and have won 8 straight games and will play tonight for the Horizon League title and of course a garunteed spot in the big dance.

travmil
03-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Don't know if anyone is paying attention or not, but Butler is killing Milwaukee. It's only half way through the first though, so plenty of basketball left. There are 7 minutes to go in the first and Milwaukee has 8 points.

Pacersalltheway10
03-08-2011, 11:48 PM
Game is on ESPN also.

travmil
03-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Milwaukee got it a little too close for comfort there for a while but Butler is running it back out now. Up 14 with 4 and a half to go. One thing about Butler this year, they took some lumps but they still play that stifling defense that nobody wants to play against in the Dance. They have held Milwaukee to 28% shooting tonight.

Pacersalltheway10
03-09-2011, 12:05 AM
Butlers going back to the tournament!!!!! Go Butler!!!! 9'straight wins !! !

Pacersalltheway10
03-09-2011, 12:10 AM
4 indiana teams are going to the tournament!!! Butler, ISU, Notre Dame, and Purdue. I'm die hard Butler fan but I would be proud of any Indiana team in this tournament.

ECKrueger
03-09-2011, 12:19 AM
I like Butler, good to see Indiana represented well in the tourney!

BRushWithDeath
03-15-2011, 10:40 AM
Tough draw for Butler. But if you are going to be playing in an 8-9 game, you would like it to be in Pittsburgh's bracket. Old Dominion will be a tough game in round one as well. I would love to see Butler string together a run. And they are playing their best ball of the season at the right time so I'm not going to count them out.

Trader Joe
03-15-2011, 10:52 AM
Old Dominion could be this year's Butler.

cdash
03-15-2011, 11:03 AM
I'll hop on the bandwagon, sure. With IU being a generally miserable program to follow for any relevant collegiate sport, I will support the other schools in the state that don't make boilers. Indiana State and Butler! Let's do this!

Pacersalltheway10
03-15-2011, 07:03 PM
They just said in Terre haute newspaper that ISU was using a broken hockey stick to help them practice for Syracuse. They are also using extra defenders in scrimmages to simulate syracuse's active zone defense.

Basketball Fan
03-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Surprised this thread wasn't bigger with Butler's win

Pacersalltheway10
03-18-2011, 05:51 PM
Butler will have a good chance to beat Pittsburgh

Mackey_Rose
03-19-2011, 09:43 PM
Hell yeah Butler!! Too bad the Final Four isn't in Indy every year, last year's edition was the most fun I've ever had downtown.

No reason they can't beat any of the teams left in their bracket.

Purdue vs. Butler in Houston...yes please.

ECKrueger
03-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Wow great finish. Buler/Purdue in FF would be sweet!

Sandman21
03-19-2011, 09:53 PM
The Butler Bulldogs: Number 1 seed serial killers. :D

Mr_Smith
03-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Hell of a game, hell of a finish. Both fouls were dumb and were legitimate calls....I'm just glad the dawgs came out on top.

Basketball Fan
03-30-2011, 09:28 AM
Looks like Blue II will join the team in Houston and fly in style

http://www.tmz.com/2011/03/30/final-four-mascot-butler-bulldogs-blue-2-flying-chartered-airplane-southwest-4-star-hotel-intercontinental/#comments-anchor

'Final Four' Bulldog Mascot -- Flying Like a BOSS
3/30/2011 12:50 AM PDT by TMZ Staff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The mascot for the Butler Bulldogs is getting the royal treatment -- in fact, the 7-year-old dog named Blue 2 not only has his own seat on a CHARTERED PLANE to the Final Four ... he's staying at a 4-star hotel.

Blue 2's handler Michael Kaltenmark tells TMZ, the 63-pound English bulldog is leaving for Houston on Friday ... aboard a special chartered Southwest flight for Butler fans -- and get this ... Blue 2's got his OWN SEAT.

We're told it's Blue 2's second trip to the Final Four -- but it's the first time he'll be shacking up with the elite when he gets there ... at Houston's 4-star Intercontinental hotel.

In fact, Blue 2's so popular -- he'll be getting his own security detail once he lands.

But Blue's got a LOT to do before he takes off -- we're told Blue 2's got an appointment with a dog spa in Indianapolis later today ... where he'll get his hair washed and dried, his nails done ... and then finish things off with a little doggie cologne. Yes, it exists.

Basketball Fan
03-31-2011, 09:58 AM
http://thebutlercollegian.com/2011/03/stevens-secret-weapon/

Stevens sees glasses as secret weapon
Posted on 30 March 2011. Tags: Andrew Smith, brad stevens, Clark Kent, Fear the Glasses, Gordon Hayward, Grant Leiendecker, Hinkle Fieldhouse, Matt Howard, Ron Nored, VCU

By Steven Peek | Sports Editor

Related Links:

VIDEO | Basketball team gets warm welcome at Hinkle
Butler men’s basketball upsets Florida; advances to Final Four
Photo Gallery | Bulldogs celebrate Florida upset

Many basketball fans around the country have been wondering how Butler made it back to the Final Four this year, especially without Gordon Hayward.

The answer lies within comic book lore.

Before Clark Kent stepped into a phone booth to quickly become Superman, he took off his glasses.

Every morning before driving to Butler’s Hinkle Fieldhouse, Butler head coach Brad Stevens puts his on.

A costume and profession separate the two personas of Clark Kent and Superman.

Being on and off the court separates Stevens from his two personalities—the smiling father figure and the animated, intense coach.

Stevens, like Superman, has become a prominent figure in the popular culture of his day.

Stevens’ new eye glasses seem to be the symbol of his power, or rather success on the court.

Ever since a mishap with contacts forced Stevens to leave the last regular season game early, he’s been wearing glasses.

In the minds of many, there’s no coincidence that the Bulldogs have been undefeated in single-elimination tournament play since the switch.

Such success has inspired a #FearTheGlasses hash tag on Twitter and a “Wear Glasses in Support of Brad Stevens and the Bulldogs Day” this Friday.

Players on the team gave perspective on the spectacles.

“He’s already a smart guy, but they make him look smarter,” junior guard Ronald Nored said. “They fit the mold.”

That mold is one of an academic, math-savvy guy.

“He does a really great job of analyzing statistics,” Nored said. “There’s no one in the country that pays closer attention to the details than him.”

Sophomore center Andrew Smith said Stevens was book smart and shared knowledge with the team on a daily basis.

“The first thing I think of when I think of [Stevens] is how he always comes into practice with a new quote from some book we’ve never heard of,” Smith said. “He has one of the best minds I’ve ever encountered.”

That mind is a superstitious one, which is why Stevens has not yet sought out new contacts.

“I know he’s not going to take them off this year because we haven’t lost since he started wearing them,” Nored said.

Stevens confirmed Nored’s hunch, saying that he would not switch to contact lenses right now, even if the doctor told him it was necessary.

Smith and senior Grant Leiendecker gave further insight into Stevens’ superstitious nature.

“We’ve been having the same pre-game meal—spaghetti, chicken, baked potato, garlic bread, fruit salad—for I don’t even know how long,” Smith said.

“We’ll stay in the same hotels if we won while we were there,” Leiendecker said, “Or not go back to a restaurant if a loss followed a meal there.

“He’s superstitious until the day he dies.”

Senior forward Matt Howard knows a thing or two about being superstitious. His less-than-attractive mustache gained national attention during the 2010 NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championships, but he assures all that it will not be making an appearance in 2011.

“This is the time in life that we all try weird things, but I think the mustache reflected poorly on my teammates,” Howard said. ”No one can tell me it was good look. That’s how I feel and how other people should feel.”

Howard said the comparison to Clark Kent and Superman may have something to it, but he’s not convinced yet.

“All I know right now is that [Stevens] no longer has watery eyes or vision problems,” Howard said. “The glasses do make him look more intelligent and about two years younger.”

So what do eye wear and Saturday’s game have in common? Virginia Commonwealth head coach Shaka Smart doesn’t wear glasses.

Sandman21
04-02-2011, 08:24 PM
The dream stops here....

FOR VCU THAT IS!

Lord Helmet
04-02-2011, 08:29 PM
YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BUDDDYYYY

Bball
04-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Awesomeness continues...

Shade
04-02-2011, 08:43 PM
I have a feeling Butler will be playing Kentucky. Why? Because Duke and Kentucky are my two least-favorite teams. So it would annoy me.

Justin Tyme
04-02-2011, 08:56 PM
I just called my best friend in KY and told them Butler has done their part in setting up a Butler/Kentucky final game now it's up to KY.

CONGRATS TO BUTLER!!

WOW, NCAA finals 2 straight years!! UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!!

Basketball Fan
04-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Blue 2 is the real star of this team

Probably the most famous dog out there right now.

Congrats Butler even though I'm only rooting for you because you're the local team.

The bandwagoners will annoy as they always do having no clue about the game or team. Monday will be crazy.

SoupIsGood
04-02-2011, 09:13 PM
:happydanc:happydanc:happydanc:happydanc

Kinda wish I weren't living off campus this year.:o

Hicks
04-02-2011, 11:05 PM
I'm so happy that Butler's doing this. They're not 'my team' (I guess that's IU, though I don't really follow anybody much at all), but it's so cool to see a local team that's 'not supposed to be there' do this, and now TWICE IN A ROW no less. It's exciting as a basketball fan from Indiana. Also cool to see some local (New Castle) boys playing a role as well (Zach Hahn, Chase Stigall).

I can't believe those guys will have been in two NCAA championship games. Unbelievable.

Trophy
04-02-2011, 11:37 PM
Butler is a team that's difficult not to root for.

Bunch of great guys part of that organization.

ECKrueger
04-03-2011, 12:38 AM
I am definitely rooting for Butler.

cdash
04-03-2011, 02:54 AM
I can't believe those guys will have been in two NCAA championship games. Unbelievable.

I know. As an IU fan/alumni, it's impossible for me not to be jealous, but I can't root against them. Stevens, Mack, Howard, and the rest of those guys are class acts. I am proud that they are representing our state. They are winning the right way. We will never see anything like this again. A perfect storm of great coaching and winning players at Butler.

Pacersalltheway10
04-03-2011, 08:49 AM
They've been my college team since I was about 5. Those DAWGS are awesome! with some higher ranked recruits We'll see if Butler can do it again next year.

Basketball Fan
04-03-2011, 08:23 PM
If Butler loses tomorrow you can thank Kohl's for jinxing them

http://beyondthearc.nbcsports.com/2011/04/03/get-your-butler-2011-championship-gear-now/related/

Trader Joe
04-04-2011, 09:45 AM
I'm just trying to figure out why Butler "wasn't supposed to do this" this year....weren't they national runners up last year? Weren't they out of UConn, Kentucky, and VCU the most likely team out of the Final 4 to be there? They're either a legitimate national bball power or cinderella, but they can't be both, and to me, that's what rubs me the wrong way about a lot of Butler fans, they want to be both.

Also, Blue 2, UGA 18 would like to have a chat with you.

That being said, as much as the mascot and some of the fans who want to both wear the glass slipper and call themselves the Duke of the Midwest annoy me, I love the team and the coach. So I'm at a deep conundrum when it comes to Butler basketball and this national championship game this year.

Basketball Fan
04-04-2011, 12:15 PM
I'm just trying to figure out why Butler "wasn't supposed to do this" this year....weren't they national runners up last year? Weren't they out of UConn, Kentucky, and VCU the most likely team out of the Final 4 to be there? They're either a legitimate national bball power or cinderella, but they can't be both, and to me, that's what rubs me the wrong way about a lot of Butler fans, they want to be both.

That being said, as much as the mascot and some of the fans who want to both wear the glass slipper and call themselves the Duke of the Midwest annoy me, I love the team and the coach. So I'm at a deep conundrum when it comes to Butler basketball and this national championship game this year.

I agree but I think it has to do with the fact they are a midmajor than anything else. Its such a small school (4400 students total) nobody expected them to ever get there once let alone twice.

However you're right they stopped being a Cinderella after last season.

Trader Joe
04-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Duke University's undergrad enrollment is only like 6500 I think. Butler's still a private school, but I understand your general point, I just don't think it works that way.

It just rubs me the wrong way, either wear the glass slipper or be the big badass on the block, but don't try to be the big badass who also wears a glass slipper. It's not a good look. I can't tell you the hand fulls of Butler fans I've spoken to in the past week that have used the Cinderella argument and the "Duke of the Midwest" argument in the same discussion. You can't be both.

Sollozzo
04-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Duke University's undergrad enrollment is only like 6500 I think. Butler's still a private school, but I understand your general point, I just don't think it works that way.

It just rubs me the wrong way, either wear the glass slipper or be the big badass on the block, but don't try to be the big badass who also wears a glass slipper. It's not a good look. I can't tell you the hand fulls of Butler fans I've spoken to in the past week that have used the Cinderella argument and the "Duke of the Midwest" argument in the same discussion. You can't be both.

You've articulated perfectly everything that annoys me about this second Butler run.

Since86
04-04-2011, 12:45 PM
I don't understand why it's such a sticking point for you two. It's very rare for a school to go to back-to-back national championship games.

For all our talk about IU's history, they've never done it. (I'm not trying to pick a fight, just a factual statement with no emotional undertones attached)

Then add in the fact that they're a mid-major and it makes it all that much more improbable.

I really don't care about enrollment, because colleges have the power to recruit. (obviously) If Butler wanted too, and had the funds, it could have an enrollment of 1000 and the whole school only be the top notch athletes. Obviously academics wouldn't be worth a darn, but I highly doubt Coach Cal recruits with any mention of academics. (Brandon Knight being the exception)

But it's all about what conference you play in, and our love for the major/BCS conferences. If you're not in a major conference then you suck, or so many seem to think.

Trader Joe
04-04-2011, 12:59 PM
I just want their fans to choose. Is this run an improbable Cinderella moment or at they really going to be the Duke of the Midwest...time to choose.

The program itself, the players, the coaches, etc, I think they have all made their choices. Do I think Brad Stevens views this as a fluke? Hell no. The guy is a cocky mother****er and I appreciate that.

Again, they were national runners up last year, they lost Hayward, but added Marshall and kept Howard and Mack and Nored and Vanzant and Hahn, I mean do I need to go on? And yet it's unexpected that their back here? I disagree, a great accomplishment, a rare feat, all of those things are true, but I think those players expected to be here even if their play in November, December, and January didn't exactly inspire those hopes.

Mackey_Rose
04-04-2011, 01:00 PM

Butler wasn't supposed to do this year, because they were never even supposed to do this last year. It wasn't EVER supposed to happen. Then they lost their best player to the draft, and it definitely wasn't supposed to happen again. How many people thought last year was a once-in-a-lifetime situation? Now it has happened twice.

Out of the Final Four teams, there is no way that Butler was the most likely to be there. They were supposed to be there more than a VCU team that probably never should have gotten in the tournament, but definitely not more than UK or UCONN. UK is the 2nd greatest college basketball program ever. UCONN has already won 2 national titles in the past 12 years, and is looking for a 3rd. Was it a surprise that those teams went on such great runs to end the season? Yes. Was it more of a surprise than a Butler team that lost to a terrible Youngstown St. team made it? No chance. It is certainly possible that Butler might wouldn't have even made the tournament themselves if they do not beat Milwaukee on their home floor to win their conference tourney.

Last year was shocking, but it was obvious early on, and throughout the course of the season, that they were just a really good team. This year, that wasn't the case, which makes it even more surprising really.

I think people are taking how special this really is somewhat for granted, because it happened just a year ago.

Mackey_Rose
04-04-2011, 01:04 PM
I just want their fans to choose. Is this run an improbable Cinderella moment or at they really going to be the Duke of the Midwest...time to choose.

The program itself, the players, the coaches, etc, I think they have all made their choices. Do I think Brad Stevens views this as a fluke? Hell no. The guy is a cocky mother****er and I appreciate that.

Again, they were national runners up last year, they lost Hayward, but added Marshall and kept Howard and Mack and Nored and Vanzant and Hahn, I mean do I need to go on? And yet it's unexpected that their back here? I disagree, a great accomplishment, a rare feat, all of those things are true, but I think those players expected to be here even if their play in November, December, and January didn't exactly inspire those hopes.

Marshall was a big addition, and the improvement of Andrew Smith has been huge, but you're forgetting the loss of Willie Veasley. He was a (the?) leader of that team.

They were a team built on defense, and they lost their two best defenders in Hayward and Veasley.

Trader Joe
04-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Then they're still Cinderella. Fine, I can live with that. What I can't live with is someone who says "We're on a Cinderella run!" then goes on to say "But we're also the Duke of the Midwest". You can't have it both ways.

It's either a Cinderella run or it's not.

And I still think all the Blue 2 hype is incredibly stupid.

Trader Joe
04-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Marshall was a big addition, and the improvement of Andrew Smith has been huge, but you're forgetting the loss of Willie Veasley. He was a (the?) leader of that team.

They were a team built on defense, and they lost their two best defenders in Hayward and Veasley.

Nored? Nored is/was the best perimeter defender on that squad.

EDIT: Also, yeah Smith coming out of his shell in January is really probably the biggest reason they're here. He's probably the biggest reason Howard hasn't dealt with foul trouble.

Since86
04-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Then they're still Cinderella. Fine, I can live with that. What I can't live with is someone who says "We're on a Cinderella run!" then goes on to say "But we're also the Duke of the Midwest". You can't have it both ways.

It's either a Cinderella run or it's not.

And I still think all the Blue 2 hype is incredibly stupid.

Whoever is calling Butler the "Duke of the Midwest" is just flat out wrong to start with. When/if Butler wins multiple championships then people can start making that comparison, but right now that's not even in the ball park, let alone in left field.

Can I ask your feelings towards indiana high school history? How do you view Milan? When everyone talks about what was the beauty of a single class system, Milan is the very first thing that's brought up. Yet everyone seems to forget, or just not know, that they were in the state finals the year before and returned every player from that team.

(I know it's a little of topic, I just think the parallels between the two stories and how they're connected as far as the state and Hinkle is pretty cool)

As long as Butler is a mid-major, they will always be a Cinderella.

Trader Joe
04-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Since, I think we're not far apart on this issue at all.

I like the Milan story and I was aware of it's parallels.

My opinion is that Butler's runs here are Cinderella runs that should be appreciated for that, not a sign of a program set up for long term success.

My beef is simply with the fans that want to be both a national power and a cinderella. Oh and Blue 2.

BringJackBack
04-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Congrats.. Not really a Butler fan, but great work. Hopefully they win it all and Shelvin Mack/Ronald Nored can shut Kemba down. Maybe next year I'll watch them more often?

PacerDude
04-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Joe .................. what's up with Blue II ??

Slick Pinkham
04-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Another reason Butler was a surprise is that back in January they were really struggling and certainly did not even look like a lock to win their league.

Now with two finals appearances (neither of which will be "vacated") along with conference championships, they have greatly exceeded the accomplishments of the much-hyped "Fab Five" :devil:

SoupIsGood
04-04-2011, 07:04 PM
:unimpress It would seem some people actively look for things to be annoyed by.

idioteque
04-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Since, I think we're not far apart on this issue at all.

I like the Milan story and I was aware of it's parallels.

My opinion is that Butler's runs here are Cinderella runs that should be appreciated for that, not a sign of a program set up for long term success.

My beef is simply with the fans that want to be both a national power and a cinderella. Oh and Blue 2.

So you're mad that some Butler fans are contradicting themselves and a live mascot? Ok? :confused:

I don't think Butler has gotten much better, just that the rest of the NCAA has gotten worse. With high-profile players leaving the "name" programs as one and done's mid-majors are going to continue to improve at the expense of the big schools. I see a future in college basketball where you've got Duke and a bunch of mid-majors competing for the title almost every year, with maybe 2 or 3 name teams that have somehow been able to maintain their current talent for a couple of years.

Lord Helmet
04-04-2011, 08:57 PM
No way Butler was expected to be back. When making my bracket I picked them to beat PITT and I thought that was a silly pick for me to make. I just hoped they'd make it back because last year's run was so much fun and heartbreaking at the same time.

This is why March Madness is great, I'm not typically a college guy and usually I'd say I go for IU, but since they are irrelevant, it is nice to have a team from my backyard to root for.

travmil
04-04-2011, 09:19 PM
I just have a feeling that Butler is gonna get this thing done tonight. I hope I'm right.

idioteque
04-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Let's get it done tonight boys. I haven't been this hyped up for a basketball game since well...last year's national championship. Let's make some motherloving history tonight.

idioteque
04-04-2011, 09:30 PM
C'mon Mack, gotta make those.

idioteque
04-04-2011, 09:35 PM
Lid on both baskets so far.

travmil
04-04-2011, 09:36 PM
Hey I know this thing is early but this pace favors Butler big time. Uconn is gonna have to get to 60 to beat Butler and they aren't on pace for that at all unless the pick it up. Not to mention that Butler has already gotten them on two over the back fouls where a much shorter Butler player just properly boxed out.

idioteque
04-04-2011, 09:38 PM
True, but Butler needs to take it to the basket or develop some sort of mid range game ASAP. UConn is a lot bigger but man their bigs are awkward.

idioteque
04-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Kemba Walker: driving me crazy right now, but hell yes I will be pissed if the Pacers pass on him at 15.

travmil
04-04-2011, 09:42 PM
If UConn gets in foul trouble they could lose out big. They are really young and inexperienced outside of Kemba and so far they aren't being a bit shy about fouling. That was a vet move By Nored to draw that foul under the basket from Kemba. What's he doing down there anyway. He got beat. He should let his bigs clean up that mess instead of going there and fouling.

idioteque
04-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Tonight is not the night for Butler to be cold from outside.

Sookie
Hey I know this thing is early but this pace favors Butler big time. Uconn is gonna have to get to 60 to beat Butler and they aren't on pace for that at all unless the pick it up. Not to mention that Butler has already gotten them on two over the back fouls where a much shorter Butler player just properly boxed out.

Uconn likes to play that way too (low scoring) we were essentially destined for a low scoring game.

I wish Butler didn't do fundamental things like boxing out...I know Uconn doesn't really do that, I feel like Butler has an unfair advantage..:laugh:

idioteque
If UConn gets in foul trouble they could lose out big. They are really young and inexperienced outside of Kemba and so far they aren't being a bit shy about fouling.

Agreed, I'd like to see Mack and Van Zandt start taking it to the basket.

idioteque
04-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Uconn likes to play that way too (low scoring) we were essentially destined for a low scoring game.

I wish Butler didn't do fundamental things like boxing out...I know Uconn doesn't really do that, I feel like Butler has an unfair advantage..:laugh:

UConn has a pretty bright future and could be back next year. Their bigs are sort of awkward at this stage but the talent in there.

travmil
04-04-2011, 09:46 PM
So far I haven't seen anything out of UConn that Butler can't deal with. They have to start hitting their shots though...

idioteque
04-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Van Zandt, take that one to the hole!

travmil
04-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Butler is shooting from here on. 10 minutes to go in the 1st. That's HUGE.

idioteque
04-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Another foul on a UConn big.

travmil
04-04-2011, 09:49 PM
one thing I've noticed, when Butler doubles anyone besides Walker that offense falls apart. Those kids can't handle being doubled.

idioteque
04-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Seagall got away from a foul before that craziness ensued.

idioteque
UConn already over the limit, wow.

travmil
Now Mack goes to the line for 1 and 1. Hopefully this gets him going.

idioteque
04-04-2011, 09:51 PM
If that big would have caught that pass it would have been an and one and a foul on Smith.

travmil
04-04-2011, 09:52 PM
See? They doubled the perimeter and the guy got the ball in but it wasn't clean. Sets up a ball out on the end and then the Butler steal. They should doubleteam EVERY time someone besides Kemba has the ball.

idioteque
04-04-2011, 09:53 PM
See? They doubled the perimeter and the guy got the ball in but it wasn't clean. Sets up a ball out on the end and then the Butler steal. They should doubleteam EVERY time someone besides Kemba has the ball.

I missed the replay, was the pass **** or did the big pull a David Harrison?

idioteque
04-04-2011, 09:54 PM
BOOM BABY

travmil
04-04-2011, 09:54 PM
I missed the replay, was the pass **** or did the big pull a David Harrison?

The pass wasn't complete ****. But Butler bothered it just enough. Made the guy leave his feet to pass it in high.

travmil
04-04-2011, 09:57 PM
I wish the NCAA championship game had new commercials like the Super Bowl. I'm so sick of Alec Baldwin I could :puke:

idioteque
04-04-2011, 09:59 PM
Man 35 for UConn is huge

cdash
04-04-2011, 09:59 PM
This is awful basketball.

Lord Helmet
04-04-2011, 10:00 PM
They can't rebound tonight, the boards Butler normally comes up with our going UConn's way. Ugh.

travmil
04-04-2011, 10:00 PM
This is awful basketball.

No, this is awesome defense. On both sides. This is what happens when every shot and pass is challenged.

idioteque
04-04-2011, 10:01 PM
BOOM BABY SHELVIN

cdash
04-04-2011, 10:01 PM
No, this is awesome defense. On both sides. This is what happens when every shot and pass is challenged.

Yeah, it's good defense--but a lot of bad offense too.

travmil
04-04-2011, 10:05 PM
I would bet that Mack doesn't get left alone on the perimeter after that.

travmil
04-04-2011, 10:05 PM
OH BS I know Butler came up with it but how was that NOT a 5 count? I could have grilled a steak in the time UConn had that ball on the end line.

idioteque
04-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Refs are letting 'em play

travmil
04-04-2011, 10:06 PM
BS. No call. That charge was a makeup call for that.

idioteque
04-04-2011, 10:09 PM
LOL that was a running back move

travmil
04-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Wow. UConn has nothing Butler should be scared of.

idioteque
04-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Nice!

travmil
04-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Mack knew that thing was in the second he let it go.

idioteque
04-04-2011, 10:11 PM
I haven't seen this much of a knock down drag out game since the 2004 ECF. I wish the NBA was still like this.

travmil
04-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Now the big test will be can Butler weather the storm when Kemba goes off in the second half? I'm not gullible enough to believe that they're gonna hold him down for the entire game.

Sookie
04-04-2011, 10:15 PM
good god this is ugly. Is this how Butler games always are?

cdash
04-04-2011, 10:16 PM
good god this is ugly. Is this how Butler games always are?

Yeah. They win ugly.

travmil
04-04-2011, 10:16 PM
The key word there is win.

Sookie
04-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Yeah. They win ugly.

I mean..Uconn plays ugly...but that even exceeded their style of basketball..

I like the rebounding in Uconn's favor, and the fact that Kemba hasn't gone off yet either.

idioteque
04-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Man, the Seth Davis Charles Barkey peanut gallery doesn't appreciate known down drag out basketball. I happen to like this brand of basketball.

travmil
04-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Not everyone can play it that's for sure. And it's not like Butler or UConn are playing dirty either. They just ain't takin' no **** off of each other.

travmil
04-04-2011, 10:26 PM
With the way these guys are playing defense, if either team goes on any kind of a run, it could be over.

chrisjacobs7
04-04-2011, 10:29 PM
The CBS analysts may be hatin... but I'm loving this style of basketball. Always more fun to watch a defensive struggle than a run and gun shootout. Go Dawgs.

travmil
04-04-2011, 10:31 PM
My keys to the second half:

UConn:
Needs to make sure their starters don't get any deeper in foul trouble.
Get Kemba going.
Don't allow any momentum swinging threes.

Butler:
Needs to start snagging some of those rebounds.
Get Matt Howard involved.
Use their bench to wear down those inexperienced UConn players.

Just my observations. Feel free to add.

Lord Helmet
04-04-2011, 10:40 PM
Oh lord.

travmil
04-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Dear Butler,

Matt Howard could not hit a barn with an elephant tonight. Please use him another way.

Sincerely,

A concerned athletic supporter

idioteque
04-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Man Butler is freezing cold from 3

travmil
04-04-2011, 10:48 PM
What a BS foul. With the stuff they are letting go, they call that on Nored?

idioteque
04-04-2011, 10:49 PM

Lord Helmet
5 point lead feels like 15.

Goddammit.

travmil
They call that ticky tack **** on Nored and then let Mack get mugged three time on one play under the basket. Not looking good if that's the way the calls are gonna start falling.

vnzla81
04-04-2011, 10:51 PM
This is not looking good.

idioteque
04-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Ugh

Lord Helmet
04-04-2011, 10:54 PM
Can't even make free throws.

Jesus Christ.

Feels like a Pacers - Pistons game from 2004.

Lord Helmet
04-04-2011, 10:55 PM
Looks like that's going to be Butler's only FG in the second half.

travmil
04-04-2011, 10:55 PM
So, let me get this straight, Vanzant gets blocked and pushed down, no call. Napier get under the rim and throws up some slop and they bail him out? I see how this is gonna end...

vnzla81
04-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Howard needs to do more than passing the ball, somebody needs to do something here.

dal9
04-04-2011, 10:56 PM
call it nerves, bad shooting backdrop or good defense, but this game is like watching a bunch of retards trying to hump a doorknob...

(and no, it doesnt say much for the rest of college basketball that this is the best they've got)

travmil
04-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Howard needs to do more than passing the ball, somebody needs to do something here.

He's tried. The dude is like 0 for 11 tonight.

vnzla81
04-04-2011, 10:59 PM
call it nerves, bad shooting backdrop or good defense, but this game is like watching a bunch of retards trying to hump a doorknob...

(and no, it doesnt say much for the rest of college basketball that this is the best they've got)

yep, horrible.

idioteque
04-04-2011, 10:59 PM
So, let me get this straight, Vanzant gets blocked and pushed down, no call. Napier get under the rim and throws up some slop and they bail him out? I see how this is gonna end...

Time for Smith and Howard to try to just throw up slop and see if they get the calls.

Lord almighty Butler can't hit anything.

vnzla81
04-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Yep that guy sucks.

travmil
Time for Smith and Howard to try to just throw up slop and see if they get the calls.

Lord almighty Butler can't hit anything.

He just did. He's bumped during his motion, no call, missed the layup, then called for the foul on the rebound.

travmil
11 points. Might as well be 1100 in this game.

vnzla81
04-04-2011, 11:02 PM
He just did. He's bumped during his motion, no call, missed the layup, then called for the foul on the rebound.

I think it was his fault, he just sucks.

idioteque
04-04-2011, 11:03 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/V8lT1o0sDwI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

travmil
04-04-2011, 11:03 PM
Howard bumped on both arms again during a shot....no call.

TheColdHardTruth
04-04-2011, 11:06 PM
Sadly, Butler simply doesn't have the size, speed or talent to compete consistently with the upper-echelon of teams in the tournament. That they even have gotten this far two years in a row is nothing short of a miracle.

travmil
8 for 50 for the game. You're not going to win any games doing that.

vnzla81
OMG Smith is just horrible :puke:

dal9
and what the hell is "hall of famer" jim calhoun's reportire of baseline inbounds plays: stand in one place for four and a half seconds and then throw it up?

idioteque
04-04-2011, 11:07 PM
We made one!

idioteque
04-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Have there always been random commercials after fouls like this or is advertising ramping up as much as I think it is?

Sookie
04-04-2011, 11:10 PM
and what the hell is "hall of famer" jim calhoun's reportire of baseline inbounds plays: stand in one place for four and a half seconds and then throw it up?

Aren't they terrible. It's his Achilles heel as a coach..and to make it worse, typically it's the shortest guy on the court throwing the ball in..

And the commentators are stupid. Butler playing a zone isn't the white flag, they are going to a zone because Uconn hasn't beaten a zone until the NCAA tournament (and typically that's when teams make their run at us.)

travmil
04-04-2011, 11:10 PM
UConn has been called for 4 fouls in the second half. This is after being called for 10 in the first 10 minutes.

idioteque
04-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Howard is so hungry right now, hope the kid at least goes out in a blaze of glory

vnzla81
why they keep giving the ball to smith?

travmil
Oh look at that. They called UConn for a foul down low. Miracles never cease.

idioteque
04-04-2011, 11:13 PM
UConn trying to get cute too early

travmil
04-04-2011, 11:14 PM
Get out and challenge the ball. Play some agressive D.

Ransom
04-04-2011, 11:18 PM
The talking heads crying about how 'bad' the game was, like the NCAA made a bad pro wrestling booking decision, is going to be ridiculous the next few days. So many 'sports experts' trying to be witty and failing.

travmil
04-04-2011, 11:21 PM
Time to start fouling...

travmil
04-04-2011, 11:24 PM
WTF??!!??!?! FOUL THEM!!!!!

travmil
04-04-2011, 11:26 PM
I can't believe they stopped fouling with 50 seconds to go after hitting a three to cut it to 8.....unreal...

Lord Helmet
04-04-2011, 11:26 PM
They gave up.

Congrats, Huskies.

Hicks
04-04-2011, 11:27 PM
:(

travmil
04-04-2011, 11:28 PM
Butler shot 12 of 64. Sheesh.....

Chew on that for a second. If they had shot just 19 of 64, they would have won. 19 of 64. 29%.

Butler took 33 threes. Making 9 of them.

At the start of the game if you had told me that Butler would hold Kemba Walker to 16 points and lose by 12 I'd have called you insane.

Lord Helmet
04-04-2011, 11:30 PM
"I will let you down, I will make you hurt."

Sookie
04-04-2011, 11:30 PM
Butler had an incredible run. Brad Stevens is clearly one of the best coaches in college basketball. And Butler is a legit team. It's not too bad to have the barrier that you have to cross be the national championship game.

Uconn winning this season was just as unlikely as Butler, really. I'm astounded.

gummy
04-04-2011, 11:34 PM
That was brutal to watch.

DGPR
04-04-2011, 11:35 PM
I'm excited about a future with Khyle Marshall and Chrishawn Hopkins even though we couldn't pull it out tonight. Stevens should be able to recruit some size with 2 championship game runs in a row.

Trader Joe
04-04-2011, 11:37 PM
:puke: That game was an insult to the game of basketball.

idioteque
04-04-2011, 11:39 PM
Well, that was painful.

It's sad Butler will likely never get this opportunity again. But I think they'll continue to surprise people and beat team they shouldn't beat. They do need a more talented big than Smith.

SoupIsGood
04-04-2011, 11:53 PM
Aw, poop. Think you can see where we miss Hayward's ability to take his man one-on-one. We really lack a legit scorer. Mack's too much of a chucker to be that.

Anyway, it was another great run, and way, way more success than I ever expected out of this tiny liberal arts school when I first got here. It was awesome to experience this.

If Stevens leaves in a few years then I hope it's for IU. I really like the guy and that'd be the only way I'd continue to watch his teams. Plus then IU would actually be good.

Trader Joe
04-04-2011, 11:59 PM
Aw, poop. Think you can see where we miss Hayward's ability to take his man one-on-one. We really lack a legit scorer. Mack's too much of a chucker to be that.

Anyway, it was another great run, and way, way more success than I ever expected out of this tiny liberal arts school when I first got here. It was awesome to experience this.

If Stevens leaves in a few years then I hope it's for IU. I really like the guy and that'd be the only way I'd continue to watch his teams. Plus then IU would actually be good.

When Mack is on, he's really, really on, but when he's off, he's really, really off. He was really on against Florida and VCU and really off tonight. Sometimes those are the breaks. Howard's struggles are more baffling to me perhaps Smith pulling a Houdini had a big impact on him.

As far as Stevens leaving, while BUtler may be a tiny liberal arts school, they are still a private school and the coffers aren't bare. They can pony up if they want, and if you're spending $25 million to renovate Hinkle why would you let him walk?

SoupIsGood
04-05-2011, 12:08 AM
I hope we keep him, and I do think he'll stay for a few years here, but like you've said before I think IU is probably the one team that gets him seriously thinking about leaving, whenever that job's open. It'd almost be the perfect set-up. Still close to home, for everyone at Butler who loved him he'd still be at a "home" team, and he'd have the recruiting resources to make something truly special happen. Stevens making IU a powerhouse again would be worth it if only for the happiness it'd bring my dad, a big IU guy. I'd really love that.

Jared Sullinger
04-05-2011, 12:15 AM
Horrible championship game and Butler's performance was embarrassing. In fact, I'd say it was so bad that it almost erases all of the feel-good vibes from the past two seasons. 12-64. Wow.

A really weak year for college basketball. Butler had no business being in the championship game and UConn may be the least talented National Champion since I don't know when.

Trader Joe
04-05-2011, 12:18 AM
Horrible championship game and Butler's performance was embarrassing. In fact, I'd say it was so bad that it almost erases all of the feel-good vibes from the past two seasons. 12-64. Wow.

A really weak year for college basketball. Butler had no business being in the championship game and UConn may be the least talented National Champion since I don't know when.

Oh please...erasing the past 2 years?

I mean I think I've made my feelings pretty clear in this thread and even I think that's retarded.

Day-V
04-05-2011, 12:24 AM

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5uecapxuY-k?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5uecapxuY-k?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

Jared Sullinger
04-05-2011, 12:32 AM
Oh please...erasing the past 2 years?

I mean I think I've made my feelings pretty clear in this thread and even I think that's retarded.

Almost - Merriam-Webster Dictionary (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/almost)

Trader Joe
04-05-2011, 12:34 AM
Almost - Merriam-Webster Dictionary (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/almost)

Yeah it's still retarded. Even insinuating it is retarded.

D-BONE
04-05-2011, 06:51 AM
I thought UCONN's D was great. In a sense, turned the tables somewhat on the pre-game expectations.

Then add the fact that Butler had a brutal shooting game and there you have it.

Yes, it was painful to watch. I'm disappointed and sorry for Butler. At the same time, UConn deserves credit for strapping in and beating Butler at its own game.

Shade
04-05-2011, 07:14 AM
That was one of the worst basketball games I've ever seen. The NCAA certainly didn't win any new fans last night.

18% shooting for Butler...that is absolutely unreal. It's amazing they didn't lose by 50.

Shade
04-05-2011, 07:20 AM

UConn proved how important momentum is going into the tourney. If you get hot at the right time, it's damn near over for everyone who gets in your way, talent-level be damned.

Kind of like the '02 Hoosiers, but they finally went cold against Maryland.

Sollozzo
04-05-2011, 07:43 AM
That was a disgrace to the game of basketball.

Smith is garbage. I think I'd take all of IU's terrible bigs over him.

Basketball Fan
04-05-2011, 08:10 AM
Kemba Walker: driving me crazy right now, but hell yes I will be pissed if the Pacers pass on him at 15.

You think he's going to drop that far into the draft after last night?

I even told my Dad on Sunday that UConn would beat Butler badly its a bad matchup for them and having that cold a night also did them no favors. This is why I was hoping Kentucky would win on Saturday I think Butler could've beaten them.

Basketball Fan
04-05-2011, 08:11 AM
That was one of the worst basketball games I've ever seen. The NCAA certainly didn't win any new fans last night.

18% shooting for Butler...that is absolutely unreal. It's amazing they didn't lose by 50.

To be honest I don't know how many people really watched this one. I mean UConn is a big program but it doesn't inspire the hatred or love that Duke does either. Although I hate UConn anyways.

Basketball Fan
04-05-2011, 08:14 AM

Based on that performance probably not but Butler beat the teams they needed to in order to get there. Something Ohio State failed to do right Jared?

And I'm not even a Butler fan.

travmil
04-05-2011, 08:38 AM
UConn proved how important momentum is going into the tourney. If you get hot at the right time, it's damn near over for everyone who gets in your way, talent-level be damned.

Kind of like the '02 Hoosiers, but they finally went cold against Maryland.

Well, BOTH teams proved how important momentum is. The only team in the country that had won more consecutive games than UConn at the time of the title game was...Butler.

Hicks
04-05-2011, 10:08 AM
I didn't think it was terrible basketball, most of the way. I think it was a lot of terrible shooting on top of the good defense. But there were plenty of stretches where the play was fine up until the shot taken. I know Clark brought that up a couple of times last night.

Brad8888
04-05-2011, 12:34 PM
It looked to me like a case of Butler being fatigued almost throughout the game, and UConn being a little less fatigued due to superior athleticism and happening to hit a few more shots.

Both teams played their guts out, both teams played smothering defense, and the officials at times simply grabbed a seat ringside and watched the slugfest like the rest of us.

I believe, however, that if these teams were to play a seven game series with the spacing of the early rounds of the NBA playoffs between them (two or three days apart), that Butler would likely win the series due to their better basketball IQ overall, but only if the officials call the game just a little closer than they did last night. I am all for "letting them play", but that was a little much even for me, and both sides took advantage of what the officials allowed.

Mr_Smith
04-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Butler just could not hit a shot....unbelievable

Mr_Smith
04-05-2011, 01:51 PM

Butler had no business being in the championship game are you serious?? Still Salty about those Buckeyes losing to those Cats I guess.

Mackey_Rose
04-05-2011, 02:11 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=dw-wetzel_final_four_butler_goes_down_its_way_040511

A truly great article, about a truly great team.

By Dan Wetzel
Yahoo! Sports

HOUSTON – Shawn Vanzant sat in the corner of the Butler locker room, sobbing, his teammates said, at an almost uncontrollable level. Next to him was Matt Howard, a towel draped over his head, the tears coming just as hard.

Together, the two seniors had shot 3 for 23, an absolutely abysmal, crushing performance in the biggest game of their lives. Connecticut was outside clipping the national championship nets. In here it was just hell, the aftermath of a great team gone bad – 12-of-64 shooting, a record-low 18.8 percent from the floor, losing 53-41, the fewest total points in a title game since the shot clock was invented.

Vanzant thought it was his fault. Howard felt no better.

And that’s when Ronald Nored, eyes red and tear-filled as well, noticed his teammates, got up, crossed the locker room and reminded everyone what this entire pursuit is about.

He pulled Shawn Vanzant up off his stool and hugged his friend, physically and emotionally attempting to lift him out of his depression.

After a few seconds, Nored stepped over to Howard and did the same. And soon enough, his teammates followed. One after the other, from the freshmen to the managers, from the benchwarmers to the starters, every last Butler Bulldog was taking a moment to remind each other, particularly those bottomed-out seniors, that this was about a lot more than some basketball game.

“It [was] hard for me to watch; it’s hard for me to talk about,” coach Brad Stevens said of the scene, his voice catching and his eyes watering behind his glasses.

“But it’s the best part of the story.”

The story of Butler, the one that’s captured underdog hearts for two consecutive NCAA tournaments, was always about a group finding a way to be better than its individual parts. The Bulldogs were a family, they said. They were a brotherhood, they reminded. They believed they could reach back-to-back NCAA title games when there was no logical reason to think such a thing was possible.

This is what all kinds of teams say, of course. And it’s easy to be a family when the shots are falling and victories are piling up and you’re shocking the world night after night. It’s another when you take the grandest stage in college basketball and proceed to experience a failure of historic proportions.

Butler hit just 3 of 31 shots inside the arc. It made just six baskets in each half. At one point, the Bulldogs missed 13 in a row. They clanked open shots and blew gimmes they make in their sleep. As much credit as the long-armed Huskies’ defense deserves, in the back of every Bulldogs’ mind was the thought that they gave this away by playing the worst game of their lives at the worst possible moment.

“All the people who played in the game think they let us down,” Stevens said. “And that’s ridiculous.”

That’s also when everything gets tested. Butler blew it and that’s when fingers tend to get pointed and playing time gets questioned and selfishness can rise up. If only he had made that lay-up. If only he had knocked down that open jumper.

“It’s very easy to just think about yourself and be frustrated in the situation,” Howard said.

Instead, the Bulldogs showed all the talk was real. They did it one hug after the next. One whispered “I love you” after another. One pat on the back and look into the eye and honest bit of concern. The harder some cried, the harder the rest worked to ease the pain.

Stevens stood in that locker room, took it all in and saw the kind of miracle for which coaches strive – collective support in the lowest and rawest of moments. Kids caring about kids. Perspective and purpose on display. It may not get you a clipped net, but that’s some kind of championship in itself.

“Hard, hard to put into words,” Stevens said, his voice trailing a bit.

“It’s probably the great thing about sports,” assistant coach Matthew Graves said.

Nored said he never hesitated. Once he noticed Vanzant in such a state, the game didn’t matter. Only his friend did.

“That’s what we’re here for, we’re here for each other,” Nored said. “In the big picture, who really cares about basketball? It’s about the guys in this locker room. I wanted Shawn to know we don’t really care that his shot didn’t go in; we care about him.”

Howard, just a half-hour later, could only marvel at the entire thing. Butler had come to win the title on Monday, but when he gathered the team pregame in the tunnel, he told everyone to forget what was at stake.

“Don’t think about the national championship,” he shouted. “This is our last time playing together.”

With that, the Bulldogs broke huddle and sprinted out into the dome.

A couple hours later, his message meant more than ever. The national championship was gone. The appreciation of playing together was not. He couldn’t hide under that towel after the game. His teammates wouldn’t let him.

“[They] come over and give you a hug and tell [you] how much [they] love [you] and appreciate [you] and that is what this team is about,” Howard said. “It’s really uplifting because no matter the result, they want to be a part of this team and that is all that’s on their mind. They want to pick you up.

“It’s a special group. That’s the only reason we’ve been able to do what we have.”

They talk a lot about the “Butler Way” around here, although no one has a specific definition of it. Mostly it’s about being selfless, not caring who gets the points or the headlines or the accolades. Here on the night of a bitter, bitter defeat, Brad Stevens was reminded it can mean a whole lot more than that.

“You know if someone has to go 12 of 64 and lose that game and do it that way,” he said, “these guys have the character to handle that.”

The game had been a nightmare. The embarrassment of all those misses will linger. The frustration of so many good players failing to make simple shots will haunt them.

But it won’t happen alone. Not with these guys. Not after Ronald Nored hugged Shawn Vanzant in the corner of that locker room and just wouldn’t let go.

BRushWithDeath
04-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Butler had no business being in the championship game are you serious?? Still Salty about those Buckeyes losing to those Cats I guess.

Much moreso about the Cats victory after the Ohio State game.

Mackey_Rose
04-05-2011, 02:36 PM

Get out of here with that nonsense.

Even without winning a championship, what Butler has done the last 2 years is in the conversation of greatest back-to-back seasons in college basketball history.

cdash
04-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Get out of here with that nonsense.

Even without winning a championship, what Butler has done the last 2 years is in the conversation of greatest back-to-back seasons in college basketball history.

Easy there, tiger. Among the greatest back-to-back tournament runs in college basketball history? Sure. Most unlikely back-to-back title game participants? Sure. Greatest back-to-back seasons in college basketball history? Wouldn't go that far. It is a great story but off the top of my head I can think of a couple of seasons that were better than Butler's runs: Florida's b2b titles, UNLV in the early 90s, Duke in the early 90s, UCLA when they dominated the sport in the 60s and early 70s, Indiana in the mid 70s, etc.

Mackey_Rose
04-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Easy there, tiger. Among the greatest back-to-back tournament runs in college basketball history? Sure. Most unlikely back-to-back title game participants? Sure. Greatest back-to-back seasons in college basketball history? Wouldn't go that far. It is a great story but off the top of my head I can think of a couple of seasons that were better than Butler's runs: Florida's b2b titles, UNLV in the early 90s, Duke in the early 90s, UCLA when they dominated the sport in the 60s and early 70s, Indiana in the mid 70s, etc.

Butler being Butler is what puts it in the conversation.

Florida might have won two straight titles, but they did it as a huge state school from the SEC. It was a great achievement, but not entirely surprising. UNLV is like the anti-Butler. Duke, UCLA, and Indiana are three of the greatest college basketball programs in history. They should do those kind of things.

Butler should not, yet they did.

cdash
04-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Butler being Butler is what puts it in the conversation.

Florida might have won two straight titles, but they did it as a huge state school from the SEC. It was a great achievement, but not entirely surprising. UNLV is like the anti-Butler. Duke, UCLA, and Indiana are three of the greatest college basketball programs in history. They should do those kind of things.

Butler should not, yet they did.

I agree. That's why I said as far as it being an incredible story it is right there in the conversation.

I'm extremely interested to see how Butler does next year without Howard (and maybe without Mack, although I think he should go back for his senior year).

Basketball Fan
04-05-2011, 04:21 PM
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118034998

Monday's primetime action was dominated by a pair of live telecasts, with ABC rolling early behind ''Dancing With the Stars'' and CBS dominating later in the evening with the men's NCAA basketball championship game.
Preliminary estimates from Nielsen are murky for the hoops action on CBS, but Connecticut's victory over Butler averaged a 6.7 rating/16 share in adults 18-49 and 18.7 million viewers overall on the CBS stations from 9:30 to 11 p.m. These numbers are subject to significant revision since they don't include the end of the game or incorporate viewing in the West. It does appear that this year's game could be down by 10% or more vs. last year's thrilling Duke-Butler title game, but should out-rate both 2009 and 2008.

PacerDude
04-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Sounds like a lot of bitter people around here. Anyone that can't appreciate what these kids have done over the last 2 years just doesn't get it.

It's about a lot more than basketball.

indygeezer
04-05-2011, 06:38 PM
Not really sour grapes on my part (maaybe a tiny bit), can someone tell me what Calhoun did to be suspended 3 games next season and what type disciplinary action has been taken against UConn and why? I know Kravitz alluded to it but I haven't seen or heard what the skinny is.

PacerDude
04-05-2011, 06:54 PM
This sums it up pretty well. It's just the NCAA turning the other direction for a major program. Again.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/NCAA-sanctions-on-UConn-Huskies-basketball-022211

Stryder
04-05-2011, 11:04 PM
Why all the hate on Butler?

UConn only shot 34% for the game, including less than 10% from 3Pt. They hit 7 more shots than Butler did.

Kemba Walker only shot 5 of 19. Not exactly a 'player of the year' type of game.

Some people are ridiculous. Sure, Butler shot horribly, but UCONN shot just a hair better than horrible...and that what's lead to the win...

Sookie
04-05-2011, 11:38 PM
Why all the hate on Butler?

UConn only shot 34% for the game, including less than 10% from 3Pt. They hit 7 more shots than Butler did.

Kemba Walker only shot 5 of 19. Not exactly a 'player of the year' type of game.

Some people are ridiculous. Sure, Butler shot horribly, but UCONN shot just a hair better than horrible...and that what's lead to the win...

There shouldn't be hate on either team.

Both teams got to the final game for similar reasons. Defense (not a single team shot over 40% against the Huskies in the tournament. That's not luck. I don't know the stats for Butler, but it wouldn't shock me if it was similar) and players making big plays to win games.

Neither team was known for their offense. It was pretty clear that this game was going to be (excuse the pun) a dog fight.

Uconn just had guys that stepped up and made plays for one more night.

Both teams played hard. The basketball being played was "ugly" but there was a lot of heart involved.

Bball
04-06-2011, 04:58 AM
I believe one of the hardest things for a team to overcome is when they meet a team that excels (even if it's just one game) at the same thing they excel at.... especially when they just aren't expecting it and aren't used to teams matching (or exceeding) their intensity. In this case UConn brought it on the defensive end in the same way Butler is known to bring it on the defensive end.

When someone is beating you at your own game you KNOW how effective that type of game is. That is how you've been winning your games...

What happens is you begin to tighten up mentally and alter other parts of your game trying to compensate.

If there was a week to prepare... or even a half-week... between the Final Four and the championship game I bet we'd seen a better game. I bet both teams would've had a better handle on the chess match. Although it was always going to be a defensive struggle between these two teams.

Making the championship game two years in a row is a MAJOR accomplishment for ANY university. Butler and its fans should be very proud.

dal9
04-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Neither team was known for their offense. It was pretty clear that this game was going to be (excuse the pun) a dog fight.

grrrrroan..... lol

Foul on Smits
05-06-2011, 04:28 AM
Gary Williams retires. Here comes the Brad Stevens speculation

Heisenberg
05-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Gary Williams retires. Here comes the Brad Stevens speculationI'm of the opinion that Stevens will never leave. But he'd be a fool not to at least listen. Maryland's a sleeping giant. DC/Baltimore area is RICH recruiting ground, never understood how Williams let so much talent get out. Maybe he was too "clean."

Pacersalltheway10
05-15-2011, 01:21 AM
Incoming 2011 class:

PG: Jackson Aldridge ( Austrailian standout)
SG/SF: Roosevelt Jones( Reminds me if Mack without the jumper)
SF: Andrew Smeathers( reminds me of Hayward in every way; 6'7" and thin)
PF: Kameron Woods ( 6'8" athletic big)

2012 class:

Kellen Dunham: complete stud. Top 100 player in 2012.
Devontae Morgan: 6'4" explosive guard. similar to Shawn Vanzant except with hops)
Chris Harrison-Docks: 5'11 michigan point guard standout. ESPN Top 150 player

2012 possibility: Sam Cassell Jr. ( no he doesn't look like an alien)

Pacersalltheway10
05-15-2011, 01:25 AM
2013 possible recruits:

Zach Irvin: ESPN Top 60 guard/forward
VJ Beachem: ESPN Top 60 guard/forward

Pacersalltheway10
08-06-2011, 07:18 PM
We got Rotnei Clarke for the 2012-2013 season. One of the best three point shooters in the country. He transferred from Arkansas. Hopefully Chrishawn Hopkins steps up this season. I think for losing their 2 best players from last season, Butler will surprise people next season. Were in the running for VJ Beachem and Nolan Berry who are both Top 100 recruits in 2013.

Pacersalltheway10
08-27-2011, 08:55 PM
That was a disgrace to the game of basketball.

Smith is garbage. I think I'd take all of IU's terrible bigs over him.

I sure wouldnt.

Pacersalltheway10
09-25-2011, 08:24 PM
Butler just landed a huge commitment from Nolan Berry, a 2013 forward out of DeSmet (MO).
via @TheRecruitScoop

ESPN Top 60 player. Butler's first real "big time" recruit!

Heisenberg
09-26-2011, 10:48 AM
That's a great get for Stevens, I liked the idea of Berry as a Boilermaker a lot.

graphic-er
11-15-2011, 11:53 PM
Well Butler got their first win tonight! I can't believe the crap that happened in in the Evansville game. So they should be 2-0. But 1-1 will work.

Amazing how far Smith has come in just one off season. He is gonna get better and better as the year rolls on. I hope Hoptkins can get it together too, he is a dynamic player that can be a game changer.

I'll have to make out to Hinkle this year to watch a game or two. Seeing as how my Pacer tickets are worthless right now.

Can anyone tell me the parking arrangements at Hinkle?

cdash
11-16-2011, 12:06 AM
It's gonna be a tough year for the Bulldogs.

Pacersalltheway10
11-18-2011, 07:49 PM
Evansville game was full of homer calls. Butler won that game in regulation.

Ransom
11-19-2011, 01:15 AM
Butler looked awful at the start of last season too. They'll get better by the end of the season. They may end up in needing to win their conference tournament to secure a NCAA tournament bid though.

Trader Joe
11-19-2011, 01:41 PM
Cleveland State is the best team in the Horizon though this year, and Detroit might be better than Butler too.

graphic-er
11-21-2011, 01:16 AM
Butler vs. IU next sunday. Does anyone know if this game is on TV?

Trader Joe
11-21-2011, 01:17 AM
It will be on BTN for sure unless ESPN has rights, but yes 100% that thing will be televised one way or another.