PDA

View Full Version : Availability of Stephen Curry

thatch3232
03-07-2011, 04:32 PM
"Golden State Warriors owner Joe Lacob had an extensive interview with Tim Kawakiami of the San Jose Mercury News and the two discussed a lot of topics regarding the team.

Lacob, when asked, said he would trade Stephen Curry or Monta Ellis for the right deal and said he thought about it around the deadline.

"We did consider it," Lacob said. "And poked around. Listened to some offers and in fact in some cases made some offers. Though not final offers, but poking around. We decided that we were not going to get value in return. Those players were just too good for what we were going to get in return. We feel much more comfortable keeping them part of our core positions going forward."

Lacob also revealed during the interview that the Warriors could have acquired Gerald Wallace from Charlotte, but didn't think he was a good fit.

"We could've gotten Wallace -- he's not somebody we thought would make us better. I really believe that. He just doesn't fit for us. He's good defensive player, rebounder, certain things that do fit, certain things that don't. I could argue, don't know whether Portland got better or worse."

-- Nick Borges"

This was in the rumor section on ESPN.com, for ESPN Insiders. I'd be really interested in going after Stephen Curry in the off-season, what do you guys think?

esabyrn333
03-07-2011, 04:38 PM
I don't think we have enough to get him without overpaying greatly. I would rather try for Mayo.....Cheaper with a possibility for a great upside.

I have wanted Ellis since he came out of HS dude has ice in his vains and is still really young himself.

judicata
03-07-2011, 05:04 PM
We would have to take back the biggest turd of a contract in order to make it happen, and give away young guys/picks.

xIndyFan
03-07-2011, 05:24 PM
i would love to have curry. but don't think the pacers are willing to pay what the GSW would want for curry. pacers would have to include lance in the deal i think. GSW would want some size to replace curry/ellis midget backcourt.

no thanx on ellis. he is an undersized 2. better off with paul and/or lance.

Jared Sullinger
03-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Curry would be a moderate upgrade, but given what we'd have to give up it'd probably not be worth it. He'd also get in the way of Stephenson's development, which would devastate some people.

graphic-er
03-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Yup, rebounding and defense. 2 things that don't fit in at GS. What a terrible team. Gerald Wallace not making them better?? LOL!!!

yoadknux
03-07-2011, 05:48 PM
I think that the availability of Monta here is more important
i'd love getting him, but we'd probably need to give away Roy and George

redfoster
03-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Monta ftw! Would add a whole new dynamic to our team.

PacerPride33
03-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Much rather go for Mayo

Solomon Grundy
03-07-2011, 06:57 PM
I would give up Lance Stephenson in any trade in a heartbeat if it meant getting Curry and/or Ellis.

BRushWithDeath
03-07-2011, 07:00 PM
There are a lot of trades that make sense for these two teams.

And Curry is not a moderate upgrade. Curry is a massive upgrade over our PGs. Enormous.

thatch3232
03-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Yea, i agree. He can play the 1 and 2, which would be very helpful.

BringJackBack
03-07-2011, 07:20 PM
If we can get Curry w/o giving up either Granger or George than do it. I don't know if that is possible or not, and I don't think it is, but if it is than do it.

thatch3232
03-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Well Lacob doesn't seem too terribly attached to him, so with several picks plus a few other decent assets, i think we could pry away Curry

Jared Sullinger
03-07-2011, 07:43 PM
There are a lot of trades that make sense for these two teams.

And Curry is not a moderate upgrade. Curry is a massive upgrade over our PGs. Enormous.

Collison's the better playmaker, which partially negates Curry's superior shooting/scoring. Neither are notable defenders, good or bad.

Curry's better, but (a) Collison's nowhere near as horrible as the Chicken Littles want to believe, and (b) Curry isn't quite the young stud some here believe he is. He's a shoot-first, shoot-second, shoot-third, pass-fourth point guard. The dreaded "the grass is always greener..." mindset is clouding some people's thinking.

I'd offer Golden State Collison, our 1st and their choice of Rush or McBob. They'd almost certainly say no, but it'd be worth a shot. They are Golden State, after all.

pacer4ever
03-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Collison's the better playmaker, which partially negates Curry's superior shooting/scoring. Neither are notable defenders, good or bad.

Curry's better, but (a) Collison's nowhere near as horrible as the Chicken Littles want to believe, and (b) Curry isn't quite the young stud some here believe he is. He's a shoot-first, shoot-second, shoot-third, pass-fourth point guard. The dreaded "the grass is always greener..." mindset is clouding some people's thinking.

I'd offer Golden State Collison, our 1st and their choice of Rush or McBob. They'd almost certainly say no, but it'd be worth a shot. They are Golden State, after all.

:wtf2: :lol2:

imbtyler
03-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Danny for Monta works out, and I'd do it if Paul could successfully be our starting/leading man at SF. Monta is a scoring fiend, and a definite upgrade over Rush or Dahntay. As for Curry, I wouldn't mind taking him either, but Monta's abilities blow my mind every time I watch him. I think we remember his performance last time we played the Dubs?

Sidenote: anyone think Kevin Love would be interested in living in Indy?

Jared Sullinger
03-07-2011, 08:24 PM
:wtf2: :lol2:

It's not as if Curry is a natural life-long point guard; he was forced to play the position his senior season at Davidson in order to improve his draft stock. He's handled it well enough, sure, but those who envision him as the elite floor general we've been looking for are living in Fantasy Land.

The Rocker
03-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Danny for Monta works out, and I'd do it if Paul could successfully be our starting/leading man at SF. Monta is a scoring fiend, and a definite upgrade over Rush or Dahntay. As for Curry, I wouldn't mind taking him either, but Monta's abilities blow my mind every time I watch him. I think we remember his performance last time we played the Dubs?

Sidenote: anyone think Kevin Love would be interested in living in Indy?

The Wolves are expected to offer Kevin Love a $70 million contract extension this offseason following a resolution to the NBA's CBA negotiations, according to a report from Charley Walters of the Pioneer Press.

pacer4ever
03-07-2011, 08:29 PM
It's not as if Curry is a natural life-long point guard; he was forced to play the position his senior season at Davidson in order to improve his draft stock. He's handled it well enough, sure, but those who envision him as the elite floor general we've been looking for are living in Fantasy Land.

do you watch GS? The guy is a beast at pg he makes some great passes that only elite passers can make. DC is not even close to Steph

troyc11a
03-07-2011, 08:37 PM
do you watch GS? The guy is a beast at pg he makes some great passes that only elite passers can make. DC is not even close to Steph

I would like to see a DC/Granger for Curry/Lee type deal go down. Solves a couple of our problems and gives GS a wing. Not sure they would want to do that even if we threw in our 1st. Which I would do in a heartbeat. I love Curry's game.

pacer4ever
03-07-2011, 08:39 PM
I would like to see a DC/Granger for Curry/Lee type deal go down. Solves a couple of our problems and gives GS a wing. Not sure they would want to do that even if we threw in our 1st. Which I would do in a heartbeat. I love Curry's game.

GS has a much cheaper version of DG in Dorell Wright who is really underpaid for his production. So I dont think that would interst them

MarvelousMarvin
03-07-2011, 08:46 PM

No thanks do Lee's atrocity of a contract.

troyc11a
03-07-2011, 08:48 PM
GS has a much cheaper version of DG in Dorell Wright who is really underpaid for his production. So I dont think that would interst them

I have not watched GS much but I wasnt really impressed with Wright. But then again, someone could have watched several of the Pacer games and not been impressed with Granger too. I dont know much about Wright. You think he is as good as Granger?

troyc11a
03-07-2011, 08:49 PM
No thanks do Lee's atrocity of a contract.

Yea its a big one. But Granger is overpaid too. I dont think his goes out as many years as Lee's though does it?

Correction: Lee's contract is only 1 year more than DG's. They are both grossly overpaid

pacer4ever
03-07-2011, 08:51 PM
I have not watched GS much but I wasnt really impressed with Wright. But then again, someone could have watched several of the Pacer games and not been impressed with Granger too. I dont know much about Wright. You think he is as good as Granger?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/wrighdo01.html

He isnt better but is good and only makes a couple million per year. This is his first year getting playing time and he is producing.

BRushWithDeath
03-07-2011, 09:22 PM
I would trade DC and Granger for Curry and Wright in a nanosecond.

I would add Biedriens (I understand he has a bad contract but he's a serviceable center) for a wing if they wanted it (Rush or/and Stephenson if they would, George if that is what it took).

thatch3232
03-07-2011, 09:29 PM
I'm all for trading Granger when the time is right, and when PG is ready to step up, but i just dont think that will be the case until after next season. PG has all the potential to be great, but i want him to show us he's ready first. So, personally, I am not a fan of trading Granger until it becomes very evident that PG needs to be a starter.

imbtyler
03-07-2011, 09:30 PM
I would trade DC and Granger for Curry and Wright in a nanosecond.

I would add Biedriens (I understand he has a bad contract but he's a serviceable center) for a wing if they wanted it (Rush or/and Stephenson if they would, George if that is what it took).

I wouldn't give up DC, Granger and George for Curry, Wright and Biedrins, even if that's all they would take. Wright isn't an acceptable replacement for Paul, in my opinion. There are too many reasons to count: Paul is more athletic than Wright, he's a rookie, his ceiling is higher, etc.

I think even Stephenson is more secure than Rush, simply because Rush was almost out of Indy before the deadline, and Stephenson is showing that he deserves minutes. Can the same be said about Rush lately?

BRushWithDeath
03-07-2011, 09:33 PM
I wouldn't give up DC, Granger and George for Curry, Wright and Biedrins, even if that's all they would take. Wright isn't an acceptable replacement for Paul, in my opinion. There are too many reasons to count: Paul is more athletic than Wright, he's a rookie, his ceiling is higher, etc.

I think even Stephenson is more secure than Rush, simply because Rush was almost out of Indy before the deadline, and Stephenson is showing that he deserves minutes. Can the same be said about Rush lately?

I would prefer not to give up Paul. But the upgrade at PG is far bigger than the downgrade at wing. Plus wings are always able to be found. PGs are not. As we have seen for the last decade.

imbtyler
03-07-2011, 09:40 PM
I would prefer not to give up Paul. But the upgrade at PG is far bigger than the downgrade at wing. Plus wings are always able to be found. PGs are not. As we have seen for the last decade.

I agree. We're not going to be able to get very far if things stay the same, but if Danny and Paul are both moved, that leaves us with Rush, Lance, Dahntay*, and Wright, if he were to be included, and he's the only true small forward left. And bringing in a new PG isn't going to make much of a difference in the performances of players like Rush and Dahntay, who we've seen in different situations.

I'm just saying, I don't think giving up both of our small forward options would make much sense, especially if one of them was prospectively drafted to replace the other in cases like this.

* I'm not including Dunleavy for reasons that should be obvious..

IndyPacer
03-08-2011, 08:15 AM

It seems like you argued that Curry isn't substantially better than Collison then state you'd offer 2 of our starters plus a draft pick.

ballism
03-08-2011, 10:39 AM
I'd give up pretty much everything they wanted to get Curry.
Hibbert+Granger for Curry+Biedrins?
Hibbert+George for Curry+Wright?
DC+Granger for Curry+Biedrins?
Sign me up!
Curry has superstar potential. And that's not just a Paul George like potential where you see signs and teases from a very young, terribly inconsistent guy. At worst, I can't imagine a scenario - baring injuries - where Curry doesn't make a few All Star games in his carreer. At best, he's a much more defensively gifted Steve Nash.

Sadly, I doubt GSW wants anything we've got. That said, a Curry+George core going forward would be a delight to watch for me as a fan.

Really?
03-08-2011, 01:07 PM
I don't know about some of these trades...Steph is good but where would u rank him as far as PG's in the league right now, you have to also remember the team he plays on doubt he would get a lot of those numbers on a better NBA team aka the Kevin Love affect...?

Or even rank as far as PGs the next 5 years....

Don't get me wrong he is a good pg and still has room to improve but...

But maybe I haven't watched enough of him lately.

BRushWithDeath
03-08-2011, 01:10 PM

Maybe you haven't watched enough of our PGs lately.

Jared Sullinger
03-08-2011, 01:29 PM
It seems like you argued that Curry isn't substantially better than Collison then state you'd offer 2 of our starters plus a draft pick.

I think there's a big enough of a gap to be worth giving up a mid-round 1st and a dime-a-dozen pseudo-starter like Rush or McBob. Not Roy or George, though.

troyc11a
03-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Sign me up!
Curry has superstar potential. And that's not just a Paul George like potential where you see signs and teases from a very young, terribly inconsistent guy. At worst, I can't imagine a scenario - baring injuries - where Curry doesn't make a few All Star games in his carreer. At best, he's a much more defensively gifted Steve Nash.

Sadly, I doubt GSW wants anything we've got. That said, a Curry+George core going forward would be a delight to watch for me as a fan.

Curry and George together would be exciting. But I am guessing any potential deal with GSW for Curry would start with GeorgeCollison. I cannot imagine them taking anything else on our roster. DG would be to expensive and I am not sure they could make salaries match unless a third team is involved - imagine that?

Really?
03-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Maybe you haven't watched enough of our PGs lately.

Oh no I have watched them... But there was a time this year where DC was playing really good...

And now that he is playing bad people are ready to make another trade and grab someone new...

Wasn't really a big fan of him before he got here because I felt he was unproven, and still not the hugest fan now... but atleast give the guy a chance to get back to where he was and progress from there.

People are so quick to dismantle a team that hasn't even been together for a full year yet, not even a half of a year playing together...

What happened to all those with your so called Man Crushes on DC when we traded for him, lol silly kids

He is not the answer but he is a good player, just in a slump, if I remember he didn't play this style of PG when he was at UCLA he just started playing like that when he was in Nola... he never really put up a ton of assist and pts til he got there... his junior yr he avaraged 4 assits, sr only 5 and only 14 pts... then he goes and puts together a couple 30 pt 12 assist games and 17pt 20 assist games in NO.....

Atleast give him time to show if he is a bust or not...

Short patience with these IN fans

ballism
03-09-2011, 09:20 AM
I don't know about some of these trades...Steph is good but where would u rank him as far as PG's in the league right now, you have to also remember the team he plays on doubt he would get a lot of those numbers on a better NBA team aka the Kevin Love affect...?

Or even rank as far as PGs the next 5 years....

Don't get me wrong he is a good pg and still has room to improve but...

It's an interesting question.
Personally, when it comes to picking a point guard only for next season, I'd prefer Deron, Rose, Westbrook, CP3, Nash and Rondo over Curry. That's about it. I think Curry is in between that tier of point guards and guys like Chauncey Billups and Tony Parker (although I'd understand someone picking those two due to experience), Kidd, John Wall, Ray Felton, Andre Miller. So, for next year, I'd have him 7th. 5 years from now - hard to say. So many of the top points are old-ish or unhealthy. Nash, CP3, Rondo. And Wall might be an MVP in 5 years afaik.
Keep in mind though, this is a point guard league now. Where you rank among points doesn't tell full story.

As far as his team, I doubt you are right. What would really change if he was on the Mavs or Spurs in place of Kidd or Parker? Would he shoot any less? Probably not, not with his shooting. Would he handle the ball less? To the opposite, he's playing next to a ball dominating SG now. Would his assist numbers go down? They shouldn't, considering that in GSW he didn't have many options to pass to (esp with Lee injured).
I believe that getting out of the Monta-land would be a terrific thing for Curry's carreer. Curry can play off the ball, but really he's much better when he's handling it. Besides, I think he needs a good defensive coach. He has the talent to be a good defender, and sometimes he plays like it, but probably he needs consistent teaching. Popovich or Thibodeau would do wonders for him.

Pacer Fan
03-09-2011, 01:59 PM
I would give up whatever GSW asked for, within reason for Step, He is shooting 49% FG & 42% 3P & 93% FT & 3.7 RPG & 5.8 APG & 1.6 SPG & 18.7 PPG in his 2nd year , scary good in my book. He throws awsome feeds. Great Passer. He is a PG to have for a career. He could be the next Steve Nash. The problem is what will his contract be and how do the Pacers keep him in Indiana. Step with Collison off the bench...wow! I'm sold!

:dance::dance::dance:

Wylder1324
03-09-2011, 02:44 PM
I would do :

Indiana Gets:
1 - Curry
2 - Biedrins

Warriors Get:
1 - Collison
2 - Rush
3 - Posey
4 - 2011 1st Rounder (top 3 protected)

Biedrins deal sucks but honestly I think this guy still has something, just needs a change of scenery. Would be great backing up Hibbert. I would do any combo like this to get Curry...the only untouchables in my book are George, Hibbert and Tyler. Danny isn't untouchable but I dont like him in a deal for Curry...I think getting a young PG of Collison's level as well as a promising wing like Rush AND a draft pick for Curry and taking a bad deal is pretty fair.

pacer4ever
03-09-2011, 02:46 PM
I would do :

Indiana Gets:
1 - Curry
2 - Biedrins

Warriors Get:
1 - Collison
2 - Rush
3 - Posey
4 - 2011 1st Rounder (top 3 protected)

Biedrins deal sucks but honestly I think this guy still has something, just needs a change of scenery. Would be great backing up Hibbert. I would do any combo like this to get Curry...the only untouchables in my book are George, Hibbert and Tyler. Danny isn't untouchable but I dont like him in a deal for Curry...I think getting a young PG of Collison's level as well as a promising wing like Rush AND a draft pick for Curry and taking a bad deal is pretty fair.

Tyler untouchable? lol

aaronb
03-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Tyler untouchable? lol

I have a hard time understanding why there are untouchables on a 30 win team lacking a franchise player?

CableKC
03-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Sign me up!

I wouldn't give up Hibbert for Biedrins....have you watched Biedrins this season? He's regressed much like Hibbert has.

BillS
03-09-2011, 02:52 PM
I have a hard time understanding why there are untouchables on a 30 win team lacking a franchise player?

Why? That's like saying since a house is bad because the walls don't fit together,let's tear it down to the dirt and rebuild the foundation.

At some point, you stop just shooting for good players and try to get players that actually fit together. Isn't a lot of our current problem that our pieces don't mesh well enough to cover each others' weaknesses?

Someone has to be part of the future, and that guy needs to not be traded or else you constantly are starting over.

aaronb
03-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Why? That's like saying since a house is bad because the walls don't fit together,let's tear it down to the dirt and rebuild the foundation.

At some point, you stop just shooting for good players and try to get players that actually fit together. Isn't a lot of our current problem that our pieces don't mesh well enough to cover each others' weaknesses?

Someone has to be part of the future, and that guy needs to not be traded or else you constantly are starting over.

The best player on this team would likely be the 3rd best on a contender. I'm not saying that you take .50 cents on the dollar. I'm just saying that there is NOBODY on this current squad that you don't at least "Listen" about if a trade offer comes.

Short of Mayo and Z-Bo coming this offseason. I just don't see much upside with this current group.

ballism
03-09-2011, 02:55 PM
I wouldn't give up Hibbert for Biedrins....have you watched Biedrins this season? He's regressed much like Hibbert has.

This thread is about trading for Stephen Curry. Biedrins is a salary dump. Of course he sucks.

CableKC
03-09-2011, 03:05 PM
This thread is about trading for Stephen Curry. Biedrins is a salary dump. Of course he sucks.
If the cost to get Curry is to take on Biedrins.....I have no problem taking him on....I'm just saying that I don't want to give up Hibbert for him.

Wylder1324
03-09-2011, 07:03 PM
I didn't mean it from a standpoint of Tyler is untouchable because he is a budding superstar, but I feel like he will be an integral piece for our team moving forward. I guess I should have said I would do the trade including anyone BUT the ones I mentioned...Im not saying I def would not give up Tyler to get Curry but in a perfect world I sure dont want to.

Pacer Fan
03-09-2011, 07:55 PM
I Got one, Sign & Trade Dunleavey & Ford
Warriors get:
Dunleavey 5.7 mil
Ford 4.7 mil
Posey 6.9 mil

Pacers Get:
Ellis 11 mil
Curry 3.1 mil
Ekpe Udoh 3.2 mil

Looks good to me...:hmm:... Warriors will do it!!!

pacer4ever
03-09-2011, 07:59 PM
I Got one, Sign & Trade Dunleavey & Ford
Warriors get:
Dunleavey 5.7 mil
Ford 4.7 mil
Posey 6.9 mil

Pacers Get:
Ellis 11 mil
Curry 3.1 mil
Ekpe Udoh 3.2 mil

Looks good to me...:hmm:... Warriors will do it!!!

Nope Dunleavy is untouchable Posey also vetern leadership ;)

Pacer Fan
03-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Nope Dunleavy is untouchable Posey also vetern leadership ;)

:(Shucks:(

doctor-h
03-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Pacer fan are you drunk. No team in their right mind would do that trade. I honestly don't know where you guys get this stuff.:laugh:

Pacer Fan
03-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Pacer fan are you drunk. No team in their right mind would do that trade. I honestly don't know where you guys get this stuff.:laugh:

Are you taken my post serious?