PDA

View Full Version : If we don't be careful we will be 8th but not the 8th your thinking

Really?
03-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Just took a look at the NBA standings to this point and we are currently in the 8th seed position but there are a lot of teams that are right on our heels.

Add to that the fact that we are 3-7 in our last 10 games with wins only over Det, Was, and GS we could soon slip out of the 8th seed into the 8th draft position.

I think someone recently said if we were in the western conference right now we would be like 13th kind of scary.

The only thing that is holding us together right now seems to be the bad playing of the teams in the East but looking at the difficulty in our upcoming schedule, if a couple of them get hot even for a small streak of games we could definitely be looking at being the 8th seed in the NBA draft...

Not what I had envisioned at all, I really want us to make the Playoffs this year.

90'sNBARocked
03-07-2011, 02:43 PM
me neither but just saw that Stephen Jackson will be sidelined indefinitley

Speed
03-07-2011, 02:44 PM
They'll win the next 3 in a row and start to take hold of the 8th spot. Charlotte's tanking almost intentionally. Then they will get beat by Boston, NY twice, Memphis, and Chicago and lose 5 in a row. Then they'll win 4 in a row against Nets, Charlotte, Sac and Detroit.

Its almost too predictible, its taking away the fun of it.

90'sNBARocked
03-07-2011, 02:45 PM
yep, all for the right to be shellacked by Boston or Chicago

Speed
03-07-2011, 02:55 PM
yep, all for the right to be shellacked by Boston or Chicago

If they got Boston, I could see being competitive in one game in Boston, not win. I could then see either winning one of two here or at least being in the game at crunch time in both. Then losing in game 5 in Boston by 20 plus.

If they drew Chicago, I think they'd get swept in embarrassing fashion.

It just makes me wonder if they back into the 8th seed, which I think they really have a good chance to by default. How much is gained by getting pounded in a first round series?

I just don't know anymore.

Best case scenario, get in the playoffs regardless of how it happens. Win two games, then you have something you can build on. I just don't see how it happens. It'd be nice to draw the Heat in the first round, I at least think you can make each game competitive because of the advantages at Center and PG or at least on paper.

Mackey_Rose
03-07-2011, 02:58 PM
If they got Boston, I could see being competitive in one game in Boston, not win. I could then see either winning one of two here or at least being in the game at crunch time in both. Then losing in game 5 in Boston by 20 plus.

If they drew Chicago, I think they'd get swept in embarrassing fashion.

It just makes me wonder if they back into the 8th seed, which I think they really have a good chance to by default. How much is gained by getting pounded in a first round series?

I just don't know anymore.

There is certainly nothing to be gained from fighting hard to move up to a pick in the 10-14 range.

That much we know.

Speed
03-07-2011, 03:01 PM
There is certainly nothing to be gained from fighting hard to move up to a pick in the 10-14 range.

That much we know.
8 vs 14 in this Draft may not make a difference from what I'm hearing. It could make a difference in what other teams give you in value in a trade, I guess. I would be really surprised if the Pacers use that first round pick regardless.

Unclebuck
03-07-2011, 03:02 PM
I think the Bucks will finish ahead of the Bobcats. They played pretty well last night against the Celtics. If the Pacers finsih the season 6-14 or worse, I will predict the Bucks get the 8th seed. They are three in the loss column behind us

Not suggesting the Bucks are going to finish great. 35 wins ought to do it. wow 35-47 - is that the worse record ever to make the playoffs. I think I remember 36 wins got a team in before

BringJackBack
03-07-2011, 03:05 PM
You think the Bucks are going to go 12-8 to close the season? I don't see it.

Unclebuck
03-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Wow, looking back in the 80's every year teams with less than 40 wins got in.

I went back as far as 85.
1985 - Suns, Bulls, Cavs all got in with 36
1986 - Bulls got in with 30 wins. Spurs got in with 35, Kings with 37, Nets and Bullets with 39
1987 - Spurs with 39 and Nugs with 37
1988 - Spurs with 31 Bullets with 38, Knicks with 38

Since 1985 the 30 and 3 wins is the lowest total I've seen

BRushWithDeath
03-07-2011, 03:16 PM
I would rather be the worst team in the playoffs than the best team out of the playoffs.

Unclebuck
03-07-2011, 03:23 PM
You think the Bucks are going to go 12-8 to close the season? I don't see it.

Bucks lead the season series 2-1 - they have 1 more game at Conseco. But lets assume for this discussion that the pacers get the tie-breaker.

Bucks could go 11-10 (they have 21 games left) to finish 34-48 if the Pacers end 7-13. Teams would end in a tie.

I've already predicted the pacers ending the season 6-14 at best. The Bucks can go 11-10 and get in.

naptownmenace
03-07-2011, 03:26 PM
The Pacers need to make the playoffs so that a couple of decent upcoming free agents will at least consider coming to play in Indiana. That and it would be good to tell all the casual NBA fans around Indy that the Pacers are back in the playoffs.

That would be the real advantage of making the playoffs - it would help generate interest at the very least.

vnzla81
03-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Nah we never get the 8th pick..........

DemonHunter1105
03-07-2011, 03:31 PM
I think we get 8-11 more wins this season unless we have more injuries that set us back. As long as CHA doesn't figure out how to win without Wallace, the Bucks are the only threat but they shouldn't be able to catch us.

The Jackson shimmy
03-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Speed-

I've been right at the front of the parade in recent years rooting
for the Pacers to suck bad enough to draft as high as possible.

But not this year.

We've got a handfull of guys who need a taste of playoff action.
They need to feel the intensity of a series of consecutive games
vs a high quality opponent that is rested, focused and well prepared
to take away team/individual strengths and expose weaknesses.

Even in a sweep, TPTB will at least get a glimpse of what some of
these guys are made of in the crucible of playoff action.

Jared Sullinger
03-07-2011, 04:49 PM
I'd take the playoffs and the 15th pick over no playoffs and pick 10th-14th.

Inside the top-10? That's a different story.

Really?
03-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Charlotte has had a tough last 4 games anyways... but they still have a chance to win 8 in the future if they can get their stuff together...

I just hope that we win the same or more than them atleast and that Milwaukee doesn't go on a run but this is the NBA and you never know what will happen.

I think out of all of these three teams we have the the toughest schedule left

Speed
03-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Speed-

But not this year.

Hard to argue against what you're saying. I agree, as long as they don't get swept and blown out all 4 games, I'm on board.

pacergod2
03-07-2011, 05:35 PM
I m praying that we play Boston in the playoffs. I think seeing their intensity and preparation for big games will rub off on us. That is the most veteran team that we could play of the three and they carry themselves with the proper mentality for playoff basketball.

Justin Tyme
03-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Right now the Pacers are in 8th place in the EC playoffs AND tied for 11 place in the draft. I could live with both as a little of both worlds.... playoffs n lottery.

IIRC, they are tied with GS for 11 place. How does in work when there is a tie? Season record against each other, coin flip, or what?

grace
03-07-2011, 06:28 PM
Bucks lead the season series 2-1 - they have 1 more game at Conseco. But lets assume for this discussion that the pacers get the tie-breaker.

Bucks could go 11-10 (they have 21 games left) to finish 34-48 if the Pacers end 7-13. Teams would end in a tie.

I've already predicted the pacers ending the season 6-14 at best. The Bucks can go 11-10 and get in.

The Bucks have not been healthy all year. No way in :censored: they're going to play .500 basektball now. I'd love to be wrong, but I doubt I am. :(

ksuttonjr76
03-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Speed-

But not this year.

I agree. Historically, players normally don't "lust" for wanting to be in the playoffs until they've been there. The confidence just builds from there. First, become confident that you can MAKE the playoffs. Second, become confident that you can beat any 1st round opponent. Third, become confident that you make to the Finals. Fourth, become confident that you can win it all. Personally, I would like for Indiana to skip over step two.

pacer4ever
03-07-2011, 09:18 PM
I would rather be the worst team in the playoffs than the best team out of the playoffs.

best team out of the playoffs will be out west sorry to burst your bubble.

Mackey_Rose
03-07-2011, 09:21 PM
best team out of the playoffs will be out west sorry to burst your bubble.

You missed the point by a mile. Bubble burst.

pacer4ever
03-07-2011, 09:21 PM
The Bucks have not been healthy all year. No way in :censored: they're going to play .500 basektball now. I'd love to be wrong, but I doubt I am. :(

Bucks fans on the realgm board have been saying they want to tank for the last 2 months lol

Unclebuck
03-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Right now the Pacers are in 8th place in the EC playoffs AND tied for 11 place in the draft. I could live with both as a little of both worlds.... playoffs n lottery.

IIRC, they are tied with GS for 11 place. How does in work when there is a tie? Season record against each other, coin flip, or what?

If the Pacers make the playoffs they cannot be in the lottery and cannot get a top 14 pick

ties are decided by a coin flip

Really?
03-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Bucks fans on the realgm board have been saying they want to tank for the last 2 months lol

Sounds like me the past couple of years.. sad huh?

Really?
03-12-2011, 11:41 AM
They'll win the next 3 in a row and start to take hold of the 8th spot. Charlotte's tanking almost intentionally. Then they will get beat by Boston, NY twice, Memphis, and Chicago and lose 5 in a row. Then they'll win 4 in a row against Nets, Charlotte, Sac and Detroit.

Its almost too predictible, its taking away the fun of it.

I guess that prediction was wrong...

I think we get 8-11 more wins this season unless we have more injuries that set us back. As long as CHA doesn't figure out how to win without Wallace, the Bucks are the only threat but they shouldn't be able to catch us.

Looks like CHA might be learning, NO tanking for them this year...

By the way both teams have the same number of losses as us... we still have CHA on the tie breaker now and MIL just hasn't played as many games as us... This isn't looking too good...