PDA

View Full Version : ABC tried to schedule Pacers game for Sunday, but MSG "Knicked" it

Unclebuck
03-07-2011, 10:39 AM
http://www.sportsmediawatch.net/2011/03/prior-committment-at-msg-reportedly.html

Prior Commitment at MSG Reportedly Keeps ABC From Airing Pacers/Knicks (http://www.sportsmediawatch.net/2011/03/prior-committment-at-msg-reportedly.html)

A previously scheduled event at Madison Square Garden has reportedly prevented ABC from adding next Sunday's Pacers/Knicks game.

According to the New York Daily News, ABC wanted to move next Sunday's 6 PM ET Pacers/Knicks game to the afternoon so it could be aired as part of the network's NBA Sunday Showcase.

The game would more than likely have been rescheduled for 3:30 PM ET, replacing a Magic/Suns game.

However, MSG "took a pass" because it already had Public Schools Athletic League playoffs scheduled earlier in the day.

The game would have been the Knicks' first appearance on ABC since February 2006, and the Pacers' first game on the network since April 2006.

During the remainder of the season, the Knicks will play on days when ABC airs games just twice -- April 3 (vs. CLE) and April 10 (at IND).

(New York Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/knicks/2011/03/melos-knicks-are-tvs-latest-sensation))

Major Cold
03-07-2011, 10:41 AM
I guess they didn't need the money.

Unclebuck
03-07-2011, 10:42 AM
I guess they didn't need the money.

Who? Teams don't get any money for appearing on national TV. Every team gets the exact same cut of the national TV money whether they appear 45 times a season or zero. In fact you could argue that appearing on ABC hurts teams bottomline because it takes away a local TV broadcast

Major Cold
03-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Wouldn't the team get some royalties from the game? I don't know. Maybe not.

Either way at least they stuck to a commitment.

BillS
03-07-2011, 11:31 AM
In fact you could argue that appearing on ABC hurts teams bottomline because it takes away a local TV broadcast

Only for teams that get money on a per broadcast basis (which I'd doubt would be very many since there's always the chance of a national TV schedule change like this) or who don't actually pay for their broadcasts.

National exposure makes you money in the long run because - assuming you do well at all - there's the chance that some out-of-market folks become fans and buy gear, show up for away games (increasing your chances of being popular enough to get national exposure) and such.

NY doesn't need that, but we sure do.

Unclebuck
03-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Only for teams that get money on a per broadcast basis (which I'd doubt would be very many since there's always the chance of a national TV schedule change like this) or who don't actually pay for their broadcasts.

National exposure makes you money in the long run because - assuming you do well at all - there's the chance that some out-of-market folks become fans and buy gear, show up for away games (increasing your chances of being popular enough to get national exposure) and such.

NY doesn't need that, but we sure do.

Bill, I have no idea but do the pacers keep 100% of their own merchandise sales? I was thinking that the league got most of it or at least a decent %. But I don't know

DemonHunter1105
03-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Bill, I have no idea but do the pacers keep 100% of their own merchandise sales? I was thinking that the league got most of it or at least a decent %. But I don't know

That is not really the point. Fans buying more and more gear is like free advertising.

BillS
03-07-2011, 11:55 AM

If they keep any % it is more than nothing.

Also, I am pretty sure players get a good % of their own merchandise sales like jerseys (though I am open to correction if I am wrong) - if your team has enough national exposure that a player feels they might sell jerseys nationally rather than just locally, it might offset some of that "small markets can't attract FAs" thing.

pacer4ever
03-07-2011, 12:53 PM

Players get a % of thier merchandise sales something like 8%

LA_Confidential
03-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Were in a funk right now and the possibility of losing to the Pacers in the Garden in a "Showcase" game would not be a good thing for the Knicks PR wise.

able
03-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Merchandise, like parking, is basketball related income.

BRushWithDeath
03-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Were in a funk right now and the possibility of losing to the Pacers in the Garden in a "Showcase" game would not be a good thing for the Knicks PR wise.

Yea that did not play a part in the decision.

At all.

Lord Helmet
03-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Damn, that would have been sweet.

pwee31
03-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Let's face it, Pacers aren't meant to be on National TV

Shade
03-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Just another reason not to like the Knicks. As if I really needed another one.

BRushWithDeath
03-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Just another reason not to like the Knicks. As if I really needed another one.

This is not a reason to dislike the Knicks. They stood by their commitment to high school basketball. As they should have.

Basketball Fan
03-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Would've been nice to see a national game for our Pacers however I think with how badly they're playing these days I rather not have the Pacers get a beatdown on national TV either.

Roaming Gnome
03-09-2011, 08:16 AM
Would've been nice to see a national game for our Pacers however I think with how badly they're playing these days I rather not have the Pacers get a beatdown on national TV either.

My thoughts exactly... We are in no way playing like we need to be on the national "showcase" game of the week.