PDA

View Full Version : Aside from star players, who are the best defenders at the 1?

Hicks
03-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Just curious to see the names that will come up to answer this question.

You can't say Rajon Rondo or Derrick Rose, it's got to be guys who are not star players on other teams.

d_c
03-06-2011, 07:54 PM
With the current handchecking rules and way things are called out on the perimeter......nobody really. Look at a lot of these matchups when two top tier PGs go head to head; they have a hard time stopping eachother.

BringJackBack
03-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Isn't Raymond Felton supposedly the best man-to-man point guard defender in the league according to cordobes? Jrue Holiday is supposedly a great defender, but I don't really see it.

George Hill comes to mind as well as Toney Douglas. They have the defense, but they aren't good point guards.

Point guard defense is overrated anyways; Point guards get past opposing point guards with ease because they are so dang quick. They just get where they need to go. However, Darren Collison's defense is unacceptable. Price and Lance can't stay in front of their guys that easily, but at least they don't "Saloon door" the other point guards.

Hicks
03-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Think of it this way: I didn't ask who is a terrific defender of point guards, just who is the best out there? Well, not just THE best, but anyone and everyone you might consider ONE OF the best, even if you assume no one is a 'stopper' anymore.

cdash
03-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Jrue Holiday is a really solid defender. If he isn't one of the best at the position, he will be very soon. Raymond Felton. Westbrook is too, but he is a star. Those are the ones that initially popped into my head.

ilive4sports
03-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Isn't Raymond Felton supposedly the best man-to-man point guard defender in the league according to cordobes? Jrue Holiday is supposedly a great defender, but I don't really see it.

George Hill comes to mind as well as Toney Douglas. They have the defense, but they aren't good point guards.

Point guard defense is overrated anyways; Point guards get past opposing point guards with ease because they are so dang quick. They just get where they need to go. However, Darren Collison's defense is unacceptable. Price and Lance can't stay in front of their guys that easily, but at least they don't "Saloon door" the other point guards.

I drastically disagree, its the most important position to defend IMO. Darren getting beat is much more of a bigger factor than any other player getting beat. Every PG does get by his opponent, but you need to limit it as much as possible.

Kstat
03-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Jarret Jack
Jrue Holiday
Kirk Hinrich
Derek Fisher
Raymond Felton
Jordan Farmar
Kyle Lowry
Andre miller
Anthony Carter

Ozwalt72
03-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Kyle Lowry

has my vote

sobleski
03-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Jarret Jack
Jrue Holiday
Kirk Hinrich
Derek Fisher
Raymond Felton
Jordan Farmar
Kyle Lowry
Andre miller
Anthony Carter

U serious?

vnzla81
03-06-2011, 08:17 PM
U serious?

Maybe not this year because he is old, but he has been one of the best defensive point guards in the league for a long time.

vnzla81
03-06-2011, 08:18 PM
I would ad Earl Watson to that list

BornReady
03-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Hinrich for sure
is Billups considered a star still? He's very good too right?

Trophy
03-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Kyle Lowry was a top PG choice along with DC over the offseason and after last night, I still wouldn't mind him.

AesopRockOn
03-06-2011, 08:34 PM
U serious?

No point guard draws charges like Fisher. Great acting is part of it. He actually has really good fundamentals. Just can't handle the really quick ones, Brooks, Parker, Westbrook, etc. But no one really can. Fisher is good when you really need stops down the stretch, though not for 30+ min a game.

pwee31
03-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Kirk Hinrich
Jrue Holiday
Anthony Carter
Russell Westbrook (guess he's a star now)
Chris Duhon

Unclebuck
03-06-2011, 09:48 PM
I don't think Raymond felton is a good defender at all

LA_Confidential
03-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Hinrich for sure
is Billups considered a star still? He's very good too right?

He is in my book. Ill tell you this, if we had him as our point man Id be much more confident in our teams ability to execute on a nightly basis.

Justin Tyme
03-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Kirk Hinrich, and he's a expiring after this season.

pacer4ever
03-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Kirk Hinrich, and he's a expiring after this season.

next season

beast23
03-07-2011, 01:09 AM
Kirk Hinrich, and he's a expiring after this season.Hinrich is one of my favorite players and an excellent defender.

His current carries through the 2011/2012 season at 8M, so he has 1 additional year to go.

cdash
03-07-2011, 02:10 AM
I've never understood the love for Kirk Hinrich. To each his own I suppose.

PacersFan1991
03-07-2011, 02:10 AM
T.J. Ford........JK

tora tora
03-07-2011, 02:18 AM
Jeremy Lin
26 steals and 9 blocks in just 23 games

Robertmto
03-07-2011, 03:22 AM
Hinrich is easily the best non star. Calderon is a good defender, just not fast, John Wall (is he a star) and Jarrett Jack as well

Kstat
03-07-2011, 03:35 AM
Calderon is one of the worst defenders I've ever seen. He's remarkably bad.

Taterhead
03-07-2011, 05:49 AM
Good defense is about making the opponents players uncomfortable. Altering shots, forcing turnovers and protecting the paint. There are a lot of guys good at it. But most have other flaws that keep them off the floor.

Kyle Lowry is a great defensive PG.

Raymond Felton is a very good defensive PG.

Kirk Hinrich is a very good defensive PG.

AJ Price, IMO is an above average defensive NBA PG. I think our system and overall team make-up just doesn't add up to being a strong defensive team. We aren't very athletic, especially in the front court. We don't have any great defensive players. We lack experience both on the floor and the sidelines. And so on, and so on.

It's all about expectations, and some are unreasonable.

Some fans you can tell don't really pay much attention to the game or have not spent too much intimate time around it. It's like they just see a guy get scored on and figure the other guy just can't guard him. If you aren't allowed by the rules to be physical with the ball handler at all, it's pretty hard to stop them from going wherever they want to go. The NBA wanted scoring up and they created a game more suitable for their vision. And the defense you are seeing is a result. The sacrifice was defense. Not many teams have the talent level to defend the athletes in the NBA with the rules the way they are.

We need more athleticism in the front court. Until we get it our defense will suffer. You have to defend the paint with your big men in the new NBA. The days of Derek Harper or over.

Hicks
03-07-2011, 10:50 AM
I was fine with Jack's defense, but I seem to recall at least a few people saying he was overrated.

Unclebuck
03-07-2011, 10:54 AM
I don't think anyone has mentioned Devon harris - his defense is excellent although I will admit it wasn't as good when he was on the Nets as I thought he tried to score too much. But when he was on the Mavs, he was one of the best point guard defenders in the NBA

imawhat
03-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Roddy Buckets
Toney Douglas
Jrue Holiday
Chris Duhon

Eric Bledsoe has potential to be a good defender.
Shannon Brown has moments.
Jeremy Lin looked pretty good defensively against us.
Kyle Lowry has games but he didn't look great against us.

I think there are some non PGs who defends PGs as well or better than most PGs but I left them off.

imawhat
03-07-2011, 11:32 AM
I don't think anyone has mentioned Devon harris - his defense is excellent although I will admit it wasn't as good when he was on the Nets as I thought he tried to score too much. But when he was on the Mavs, he was one of the best point guard defenders in the NBA

His defense was very good on the Mavs, but pretty bad on the Nets. He's the point guard version of Granger in every way (except he was a consistently good defender for full seasons on the Mavs).

imawhat
03-07-2011, 11:34 AM
I was fine with Jack's defense, but I seem to recall at least a few people saying he was overrated.

His defense was a lot better in Portland than it was in Indy, where his defense was below average, imo.

TJ Ford, when motivated, makes this list. His defense at the beginning of this season was very, very good.

Mark
03-07-2011, 11:45 AM
My vote with be with Lowry.

...but realistically, Hinrich would be more than fine in my book if we opt to upgrade/change pg's. Nobody seems to want him right now, albeit it's because his contract has not been too enticing.

pacer4ever
03-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Roddy Buckets
Toney Douglas
Jrue Holiday
Chris Duhon

Eric Bledsoe has potential to be a good defender.
Shannon Brown has moments.
Jeremy Lin looked pretty good defensively against us.
Kyle Lowry has games but he didn't look great against us.

I think there are some non PGs who defends PGs as well or better than most PGs but I left them off.
Eric Bledsoe

He has some insane help blocks this season. He will be an elite defender in 2 years

Justin Tyme
03-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Hinrich is one of my favorite players and an excellent defender.

His current carries through the 2011/2012 season at 8M, so he has 1 additional year to go.

I guess I didn't make myself clear about his FA. After this season is over, he will be in the last season of his contract which to me means he'll be a FA next year. I know he's not a FA at the end of THIS season. His having 2 years left on his contract was a big reason this past off season some didn't want him. I pointed out then that the last year of his contract would be the lockout year, so it really didn't matter. The Pacers either wouldn't be on the hook for all of it or possibly none of it if the lockout lasted the whole season.

Sorry for the confusion.

Speed
03-07-2011, 02:12 PM
No one. Or at least theres no such thing as a lock down defender, at Point Guard, with today's rules. Really, you just can't contain most Point Guards in the league now.

There are some that are bad, but mostly the guys listed are only just good, imo.

I know you said no superstars, but Rondo is by far, my favorite to watch play defense at the Point Guard position, its not even close, for me. Dude guarded Lebron at times, last time they played Boston, THATS how good he is.

Robertmto
03-07-2011, 03:02 PM
I disagree KStat, he gets beat by quicker players on pick n rolls constantly tho

cdash
03-07-2011, 03:08 PM
I disagree KStat, he gets beat by quicker players on pick n rolls constantly tho

Calderon is a notoriously horrendous defender. You will never convince me otherwise.

Kstat
03-07-2011, 03:19 PM

..and bigger players, and faster players, and smarter players...

Slick Pinkham
03-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Among players who are not stars, as others mentioned, Devin Harris and Kyle Lowry are excellent. Among even lesser (non-starting) talents, guys like George Hill, CJ Watson, Earl Watson, Jarrett Jack, Steve Blake (maybe suprisingly), perhaps Will Bynum. There are some backup SGs who can play shutdown D on PGs too, like Tony Allen and Raja Bell.