PDA

View Full Version : David West: Nets Have Become 'More Interesting'

Il Ragionier Ugo Fantozzi
03-06-2011, 03:37 PM
David West: Nets Have Become 'More Interesting'

David West, a New Jersey native who can become a free agent this summer, admits that the Nets have become an interesting option with the addition of Deron Williams.

"I think that team, obviously, is a lot more interesting than they were. They were so young before they made that deal, and nobody saw that deal coming. I don’t know," West said when asked about the possibility of playing for his hometown team.

"I know it's a team that has some (cap) space and a need, but it's ... like I said, when the time comes, we’ll see what's out there. Again, at this point in my career, money won't really be the number one (criterion)."

West added that a majority of his family has moved out of the area and winning will be his main priority.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/211843/David_West_Nets_Have_Become_More_Interesting#ixzz1 Fr0E7CR4

idioteque
03-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Regardless of whether they get West or not, New Jersey is going to become the next hot destination for free agents and will probably form a super team of some sort of their own within the next 3-4 years. This super team could very well eventually include Dwight Howard.

Eventually, there will be an unbreakable axis in the East of Miami, New York, Boston, and Brooklyn. The rest of the conference will have to put together a great mix of team-oriented guys that are the type of players who make up for their individual weakness with great collective play to even stand a chance. Even that will be incredibly different.

And the CBA plays little role in this. NBA players have proven that they care most about the location of a franchise when they're free agents. Whether or not it is a "winning" franchise matters little as all these hot cities will eventually have a winning franchise if good players are going there.

beast23
03-06-2011, 04:40 PM
"I know it's a team [NJ] that has some (cap) space and a need, but it's ... like I said, when the time comes, we’ll see what's out there. Again, at this point in my career, money won't really be the number one (criterion)."

West added that a majority of his family has moved out of the area and winning will be his main priority.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/211843/David_West_Nets_Have_Become_More_Interesting#ixzz1 Fr0E7CR4
Oh, joy of joys. Me thinks we are screwed in any hopes to get West.

This really made my day. I suppose our only hope is to try to entice him by significantly overpaying him if he is the player the Pacers want.

Mackey_Rose
03-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Oh, joy of joys. Me thinks we are screwed in any hopes to get West.

This really made my day. I suppose our only hope is to try to entice him by significantly overpaying him if he is the player the Pacers want.

Did you ever think we had any other hope?

ilive4sports
03-06-2011, 04:50 PM
If Deron decides he won't stay in NJ, West won't go there.

Jared Sullinger
03-06-2011, 04:56 PM
Hometown team and a chance to play with an elite point guard? Sounds good to me.

If only there were a talented power forward out there who we could play the "hometown team" card with...

pwee31
03-06-2011, 04:58 PM
I think David West's decision will say a lot about what Chris Paul may be intending to do.

If Hornets fail to make the playoffs, I expect Paul and West to gone by the end of next year.

The CBA (if no lockout) and the fact that the Pacers will have cap space for the 1st time in YEARS, will make this a very exciting and nerve wrecking offseason

vnzla81
03-06-2011, 05:42 PM
I hope NJ gets him we don't need to overpay for a guy like him.

vnzla81
03-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Hometown team and a chance to play with an elite point guard? Sounds good to me.

If only there were a talented power forward out there That is in trouble with the law every other year and can't play a lick of defense who we could play the "hometown team" card with...

fixed

BringJackBack
03-06-2011, 05:48 PM
Vnzla, I think it's ironic that you hate our lack of talent yet you are extremely picky about which power forwards you want. You won't take David West, a two time all star. You won't take Zach Randolph, who averages 20 and 13. Yet you'll take Anderson Varejao or Emeka Okafor who are extremely overpaid and they aren't even that good.

Why exactly? If you're reasoning is Roy Hibbert than that is not good reasoning because he is not good enough to build your team around.

ilive4sports
03-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Vnzla, I think it's ironic that you hate our lack of talent yet you are extremely picky about which power forwards you want. You won't take David West, a two time all star. You won't take Zach Randolph, who averages 20 and 13. Yet you'll take Anderson Varejao or Emeka Okafor who are extremely overpaid and they aren't even that good.

Why exactly? If you're reasoning is Roy Hibbert than that is not good reasoning because he is not good enough to build your team around.

It's funny just how picky people are on here. They are all upset that we lose games, yet when looking to add a FA this off season who will help this team they seem to rather hold out for the next Karl Malone...

Isaac
03-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Regardless of whether they get West or not, New Jersey is going to become the next hot destination for free agents and will probably form a super team of some sort of their own within the next 3-4 years. This super team could very well eventually include Dwight Howard.

Eventually, there will be an unbreakable axis in the East of Miami, New York, Boston, and Brooklyn. The rest of the conference will have to put together a great mix of team-oriented guys that are the type of players who make up for their individual weakness with great collective play to even stand a chance. Even that will be incredibly different.

And the CBA plays little role in this. NBA players have proven that they care most about the location of a franchise when they're free agents. Whether or not it is a "winning" franchise matters little as all these hot cities will eventually have a winning franchise if good players are going there.

Make that Miami, New York, Brooklyn and Chicago.

vnzla81
03-06-2011, 06:10 PM

I've been saying this forever, if we want Roy to be the center of the future we need to have an enforcer/garbage man in the power forward position, somebody that is going to guard the other team best big and somebody that is going to rebound, Dwest is not a good defender and is not that good of a rebounder, Zach R is good at rebounding but he sucks at D and his game is based in playing inside, taking space for Roy.

Roy,Zach and Dwest pretty much need an enforcer/Garbage man to play next to them, Dwest has that in Okafor in NO, Zach has Marc next to him and Roy has Josh :unimpress:

Pacerized
03-06-2011, 06:30 PM
NJ is going to offer stiff competition to us in next years free agent market. We have more cap room then they do but they're still one of the few teams that have enough room under the cap to sign a max player as the cba now stands.
As far as West goes I'd love to have him and he'd be an upgrade but he's not on the top of my list.
I'd much rather have a 28 yr old Nene at 6'11" and 260 then I would a 30 yr old West at 6"9" and 240. Of course there we'll have competition for Nene as well if he doesn't sign an extension with the Nuggets.
I'm hoping for the toughest cba possible that will cause fire sales throughout the league.

Ozwalt72
03-06-2011, 06:39 PM
I'd much rather have a 28 yr old Nene at 6'11" and 260 then I would a 30 yr old West at 6"9" and 240. Of course there we'll have competition for Nene as well if he doesn't sign an extension with the Nuggets.

Fair point. You know, people are always talking about what will fit with Hibbert and all that...but you know what? How many teams do you think would be interested in a 7-2 center not even 25 years old with loads of potential? He's a hell of a trade chip. I love the guy's attitude...but no one on this team is untouchable.

vnzla81
03-06-2011, 06:43 PM
It's funny just how picky people are on here. They are all upset that we lose games, yet when looking to add a FA this off season who will help this team they seem to rather hold out for the next Karl Malone...

Joe Dumars decided not be that picky and ended up signing Villanueva and Gordon for huge money, the Sixers signed a similar guy than Dwest in Ebrand and they can't move the guy.

The Pacers have waited five years to have cap space, they better be picky if they want this team to be better.

Pacerized
Fair point. You know, people are always talking about what will fit with Hibbert and all that...but you know what? How many teams do you think would be interested in a 7-2 center not even 25 years old with loads of potential? He's a hell of a trade chip. I love the guy's attitude...but no one on this team is untouchable.

I think Nene would be a great fit with Hibbert in the starting lineup, I don't want to give up on Hibbert. We need a big man that can offset some of Roy's weaknesses in the paint. I think Nene could be that man.

BringJackBack
I would love Nene here, but it was established at the trade deadline that he has tremendous value around the league.. Twenty-plus teams called for him minutes after they traded Carmelo away.

I don't think that we have the pieces (Well, we may have the pieces, but we aren't wanting to give them away with good reason).

Pacerized
03-06-2011, 06:46 PM
I would love Nene here, but it was established at the trade deadline that he has tremendous value around the league.. Twenty-plus teams called for him minutes after they traded Carmelo away.

I don't think that we have the pieces (Well, we may have the pieces, but we aren't wanting to give them away with good reason).

If Nene opts out and I think that he will, we won't have to worry about trade pieces. We'll just have to compete with the few teams under the cap that can offer him a contract of which we'll still have the Nuggets and New Jersey to compete with.

BringJackBack
03-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Joe Dumars decided not be that picky and ended up signing Villanueva and Gordon for huge money, the Sixers signed a similar guy than Dwest in Ebrand and they can't move the guy.

The Pacers have waited five years to have cap space, they better be picky if they want this team to be better.

It's ridiculous to compare Gordon and Villanueva to West and Randolph. Gordon and Villanueva are role players on the Pacers while West and Randolph are the best players on the Pacers.

Elton Brand has health issues that neither power forwards this summer have.

Apples to oranges.. Bigtime. Right now we need talent, not fits for the team. Not to even mention that Zach and West are good/great fits for us.

Ozwalt72
03-06-2011, 06:52 PM
It's ridiculous to compare Gordon and Villanueva to West and Randolph.

I agree with Charlie V, but not really with Gordon. Gordon was a gamer in Chicago and makes much more sense than what Charlie V did.

pacer4ever
03-06-2011, 06:55 PM
I've been saying this forever, if we want Roy to be the center of the future we need to have an enforcer/garbage man in the power forward position, somebody that is going to guard the other team best big and somebody that is going to rebound, Dwest is not a good defender and is not that good of a rebounder, Zach R is good at rebounding but he sucks at D and his game is based in playing inside, taking space for Roy.

Roy,Zach and Dwest pretty much need an enforcer/Garbage man to play next to them, Dwest has that in Okafor in NO, Zach has Marc next to him and Roy has Josh :unimpress:

Marc Gasol is a skilled big not a garabge man. Actually pretty much the opposite of a garbage man. Zach is the one who does the diry work in MEMPHIS just saying.

ilive4sports
03-06-2011, 06:55 PM
It's ridiculous to compare Gordon and Villanueva to West and Randolph. Gordon and Villanueva are role players on the Pacers while West and Randolph are the best players on the Pacers.

Apples to oranges.. Bigtime. Right now we need talent, not fits for the team. Not to even mention that Zach and West are good/great fits for us.

And Elton Brand is still averaging 15 and 8 this year. Not like he is terrible.

Jared Sullinger
03-06-2011, 06:56 PM

Well said.

By the way─Elton Brand's currently the leading scorer, rebounder and shot blocker on a team that's above .500 and has been on fire the past two months.

vnzla81
03-06-2011, 06:57 PM

Gordon was a big piece in Chicago, the same with Villanueva in Milwaukee I don't know were you get the role player thing from? do you think Detroit is stupid enough to sign guys they expect to be role players for that money?

By the way how you know that two guys that are close to 30 years old are not going to have any health issues?

I agree with you that we need talent, but overpaying for somebody that doesn't fit the team is not right way to do it.

cdash
03-06-2011, 06:57 PM
I'm starting to really want Zach Randolph. I can't help it. No homo.

Hicks
03-06-2011, 06:58 PM
You're going to overpay for anyone considered to be a big man. It's just a matter of how much you overpay them.

We're not going to get very far if we insist on every single player we acquire to be a bargain or even a fair contract. You will inevitably have to overpay at least one player.

vnzla81
03-06-2011, 07:00 PM
And Elton Brand is still averaging 15 and 8 this year. Not like he is terrible.

17mil a year for that? yeah that is not terrible, it took him two years to finally produce, man I wonder if Philly doesn't regret that deal.........

michealwilliams4
03-06-2011, 07:01 PM
If only there were a talented power forward out there who we could play the "hometown team" card with...

...who wasn't saddled with potentially significant legal risks born from playing in his "hometown..."

Sure would be nice to find someone like that, I agree.

BringJackBack
03-06-2011, 07:05 PM
I agree with Charlie V, but not really with Gordon. Gordon was a gamer in Chicago and makes much more sense than what Charlie V did.

I agree that he is/was very good, but it doesn't make sense because they never gave him the green light to be the number one guy- Which is what he's being paid to be. If they'd start him and play him 37 MPG or so the signing would make a lot more sense. They're paying him to be a role player even though he can do better than that.. If that makes sense. :laugh:

He's talented enough to make that money, but they don't give him the minutes nor the opportunities to make the signing worth the money.

ilive4sports
03-06-2011, 07:07 PM
17mil a year for that? yeah that is not terrible, it took him two years to finally produce, man I wonder if Philly doesn't regret that deal.........

I didn't say he wasn't overpaid. And he's finally producing because he is healthy. Not because he can't play.

BringJackBack
03-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Gordon was a big piece in Chicago, the same with Villanueva in Milwaukee I don't know were you get the role player thing from? do you think Detroit is stupid enough to sign guys they expect to be role players for that money?

By the way how you know that two guys that are close to 30 years old are not going to have any health issues?

I agree with you that we need talent, but overpaying for somebody that doesn't fit the team is not right way to do it.

West and Randolph are so much better than Villanueva has ever been. Gordon is good, but they don't utilize him which is weird considering that they really PAID him. Do I think that they are stupid enough to make deals like that? Probably.

I don't know about West/Randolph, but what I do know is that everyone has known about Brand's injury problems.. That is like us signing Greg Oden to 6 years/64 million. Just not smart. That is NOTHING like signing West or Randolph.

Like Hicks said, overpaying is just a part of it. If we have to sign ZBo to 5 years/70 million than so be it, we need someone that can put up 20 and 13 very, very badly.

ilive4sports
03-06-2011, 07:18 PM
West and Randolph are so much better than Villanueva has ever been. Gordon is good, but they don't utilize him which is weird considering that they really PAID him. Do I think that they are stupid enough to make deals like that? Probably.

I don't know about West/Randolph, but what I do know is that everyone has known about Brand's injury problems.. That is like us signing Greg Oden to 6 years/64 million. Just not smart. That is NOTHING like signing West or Randolph.

Like Hicks said, overpaying is just a part of it. If we have to sign ZBo to 5 years/70 million than so be it, we need someone that can put up 20 and 13 very, very badly.

Exactly. Injuries are a risk with every player signed. Some more than others such as Elton Brand. To my knowledge Randolph and West have been relatively healthy throughout their careers. Whether a player is 30 or 25 there is always risk of injury. You can't just say you're not going to sign a player because he is 30 and could get hurt.

If we bring in Randolph, our team changes. The way things work change. Hibberts role would certainly be reduced and that would be a good thing. He doesn't need all this pressure on him. Its not like we have to play just one way and whatever player comes in here has to fit that system. We aren't at a point where the team is good enough for that. Continue to adjust the system to meet the needs of the players.

vnzla81
03-06-2011, 07:27 PM
I didn't say he wasn't overpaid. And he's finally producing because he is healthy. Not because he can't play.

He wasn't producing because he wasn't healthy and because the system Philly was running and the players they had didn't fit with him, he is the one example why I think Dwest or Zach wouldn't fit here with Roy.

I would say that I wouldn't be opposed to move Roy if we find a good center that could play with Dwest or Zach if the pacers decided to go that route, maybe sign Tyson Chandler/Nene or maybe trade Troy for a center that fits those guys.

cdash
03-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Here's a crazy, high risk/high reward scenario: Spend our cap space by signing Zach Randolph and take a 2 year/$18 millionish flier on Greg Oden.

BringJackBack
03-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Here's a crazy, high risk/high reward scenario: Spend our cap space by signing Zach Randolph and take a 2 year/$18 millionish flier on Greg Oden.

I'd do it.. I'm ready to take some risks. I don't think Oden has a great chance of being healthy, but if he is than the league needs to watch out.

I think the whole "ZBo's a ringleader" thing's overblown in the first place, so I really want Randolph here now.

vnzla81
03-06-2011, 07:36 PM

I would sign Dwest or Zach and trade Roy for a center that could stay healthy.

ilive4sports
03-06-2011, 07:37 PM
I still don't buy the argument that West/Randolph can't play next to Roy.

Trophy
03-06-2011, 07:39 PM
I like either David West or Zach Randolph.

Both players shoot fairly well around the post and they rebound a lot, especially Randolph.

I think Memphis might rethink letting him go after how much better they've been this season and how much he's helped them out.

I think we have a good chance at signing West, but we're gonna be in competition and he's gonna want a lot.

cdash
03-06-2011, 07:43 PM
I would sign Dwest or Zach and trade Roy for a center that could stay healthy.

They can play next to Roy, they really can. Besides, when's the last time you heard of two teams trading a center for a center? Who would you even target?

pacer4ever
03-06-2011, 07:43 PM

Marc Gasol is pretty much Roy just stronger and shoots the ball better. Zach would be a perfect fit he can play high post and low post well.

vnzla81
03-06-2011, 07:49 PM

I don't think is that hard to understand, if you want to make Roy a different type of center you might have a point, if you want to use him the same way we are using him now he doesn't fit, Randolph is a guy who scores inside with his back to the basket(he can shoot from outside like West), were Hibbert is going to play? Roy and Zach are bad defenders, who is going to play D?

Is possible that Dwest could be a good fit in the offensive side, but again who is going to play D on the other side? who is going to rebound when Dwest is shooting jumper after jumper from 10 feets out?

Again, if you want to tell Roy to become the next Joakim Noah you might have a point but he is not that type of guy.

ilive4sports
03-06-2011, 07:52 PM
I don't think is that hard to understand, if you want to make Roy a different type of center you might have a point, if you want to use him the same way we are using him now he doesn't fit, Randolph is a guy who scores inside with his back to the basket, were Hibbert is going to play? Roy and Zach are bad defenders, who is going to play D?

Is possible that Dwest could be a good fit in the offensive side, but again who is going to play D on the other side? who is going to rebound when Dwest is shooting jumper after jumper from 10 feets out?

Again, if you want to tell Roy to become the next Joakim Noah you might have a point but he is not that type of guy.

Why wouldn't we adjust the system when we add a huge piece in Randolph? Did you forget about Roy's jumper? I actually like that better than his off balance no look hook shots he loves to take.

Roy and Josh are bad defenders too you know. We were rebounding at an incredible rate when Vogel first took over with Josh starting. He's a worse rebounder than West.

pacer4ever
03-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Why wouldn't we adjust the system when we add a huge piece in Randolph? Did you forget about Roy's jumper? I actually like that better than his off balance no look hook shots he loves to take.

Roy and Josh are bad defenders too you know. We were rebounding at an incredible rate when Vogel first took over with Josh starting. He's a worse rebounder than West.

No Roy's jumper sucks. But Zach's jumper is deadly so is his post game

vnzla81
03-06-2011, 07:59 PM
They can play next to Roy, they really can. Besides, when's the last time you heard of two teams trading a center for a center? Who would you even target?

If we get Dwest or Randolph I would target, Tyson Chandler, Nene, Okafor, Mcgee,Varejao, maybe Dalembert or Haywood?

ilive4sports
03-06-2011, 08:01 PM
No Roy's jumper sucks. But Zach's jumper is dadly so is his post game

Roy's jumper (can you call it a jumper when he doesn't jump) does not suck. He has been hitting it for years, it was a huge weapon of his in college.

pacer4ever
03-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Roy's jumper (can you call it a jumper when he doesn't jump) does not suck. He has been hitting it for years, it was a huge weapon of his in college.

Thats why he was shooting 20% outside 15ft this year. Ya it is terrible and it sucks.

vnzla81
03-06-2011, 08:05 PM

I know that Roy and Josh are bad defenders, Zach/Roy or Dwest/Roy could be just as bad, and nope I don't want our 7'2'' center shooting jumpers, really that is how you are going to make it work?

ilive4sports
03-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Thats why he was shooting 20% outside 15ft this year. Ya it is terrible and it sucks.

How often does he take them? Not much at all.

And no its not the complete answer to making it work. Your allowed to have multiple post scorers on the floor at once you know. I don't see a problem with multiple post players on the court at once.

And I don't see their defense being as bad as Josh/Roys.

pacer4ever
03-06-2011, 08:08 PM
But like I said Zach is good at posting up and mid-range he would play really well with Roy.

SoupIsGood
03-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Besides, when's the last time you heard of two teams trading a center for a center?

You just stabbed Hicks in the heart.

cdash
03-06-2011, 08:10 PM
I know that Roy and Josh are bad defenders, Zach/Roy or Dwest/Roy could be just as bad, and nope I don't want our 7'2'' center shooting jumpers, really that is how you are going to make it work?

Zach can hit outside shots very well. It really wouldn't be that difficult to make it work.

cdash
03-06-2011, 08:11 PM

:confused:

I'm missing something?

vnzla81
03-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Zach can hit outside shots very well. It really wouldn't be that difficult to make it work.

Ok so who is going to play D?

pacer4ever
03-06-2011, 08:20 PM

Zach and Roy

BringJackBack
03-06-2011, 08:22 PM

Zach and Roy is just as good, if not better than Josh and Roy defensively. Not to mention that Zach won't give up 3-5 offensive rebounds a game away like Josh does.

pwee31
03-06-2011, 08:24 PM
David West is an upgrade so if available, you prepare an offer that you're comfortable paying him for the next couple of years. Only problem is that he has had back problems. 31 isn't old but you have to take that into consideration.

I like Zach Randolph, I really do. I'm just terrified of his past troubles. The Pacers will win fans back with winning, but you want to limit the off court trouble.

Shade
03-06-2011, 08:25 PM

I'm missing something?

Brad Miller for Scot Pollard.

vnzla81
03-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Zach and Roy is just as good, if not better than Josh and Roy defensively. Not to mention that Zach won't give up 3-5 offensive rebounds a game away like Josh does.

Zach/Roy is just as good if not better than Josh/Roy? :laugh: you are not really helping your argument here.

BringJackBack
03-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Zach/Roy is just as good if not better than Josh/Roy? :laugh: you are not really helping your argument here.

Josh is pretty overrated on defense to say the least while you continually underrate Zach.. Saying that Zach/West isn't a good fit isn't exactly helping your case.

I've come to the conclusion that you overrate the production of guys like Emeka and Varejao and severely underrate the production of Zach Randolph and David West, which makes no sense, but I digress.

I see the angle though. If one of these guys get signed you want every single right to ***** and complain about them for the next 3-4 years. You want to be the "First" to get it right.. But you'll be wrong so it doesn't even matter.

vnzla81
03-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Josh is pretty overrated on defense to say the least while you continually underrate Zach.. Saying that Zach/West isn't a good fit isn't exactly helping your case.

I've come to the conclusion that you overrate the production of guys like Emeka and Varejao and severely underrate the production of Zach Randolph and David West, which makes no sense, but I digress.

I see the angle though. If one of these guys get signed you want every single right to ***** and complain about them for the next 3-4 years. You want to be the "First" to get it right.. But you'll be wrong so it doesn't even matter.

Wow........

BringJackBack
03-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Yeah Emeka Okafor and Anderson Varejao are so much better than Zach Randolph and David West right...........:laugh:

Hicks
03-06-2011, 09:01 PM

I'm missing something?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3qq0pL-fXLE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dohman
03-06-2011, 09:03 PM
Even if Zach randoulph is just as good as Josh on defense that means our starting lineup gets a automatic 10-15 more points per game without giving up anything. How many games this year has been decided close.

How many games have come down the stretch and we had no one to score. Zach instantly changes that.

I still think we need a sg more than we need a pf though. George will not cut it next year by himself.

cdash
03-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Even if Zach randoulph is just as good as Josh on defense that means our starting lineup gets a automatic 10-15 more points per game without giving up anything. How many games this year has been decided close.

How many games have come down the stretch and we had no one to score. Zach instantly changes that.

I still think we need a sg more than we need a pf though. George will not cut it next year by himself.

I'm not worried about SG as much. I think between PG and Lance we are okay there. I'd much rather allocate our resources on a big man or two.

MarvelousMarvin
03-06-2011, 09:09 PM
I'm not worried about SG as much. I think between PG and Lance we are okay there. I'd much rather allocate our resources on a big man or two.

Agreed. I'd still like Mayo in SG but if we could get randolph/west and nene/chandler watch out.

vnzla81
03-06-2011, 09:14 PM

I agree, SG's are easier to find than big guys.

pwee31
03-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Agreed. I'd still like Mayo in SG but if we could get randolph/west and nene/chandler watch out.

I think as long as we don't get outbid, that we could have a good job at Mayo.

It will come down to what the Grizzlies want to do with their big guys. Randolph and Gasol are both up at the end of the season. They've already maxed out Rudy Gay. If they want to keep both Zach and Marc, they may need to drop salary depending on CBA. They'll keep Conley and Gay, may move Mayo and with us having the cap space, we'll have a chance to get him without them having to take back salary. So will a lot of other teams though.

I like West, but I don't think he'll want to come to Indy, yeah he played at Xavier, yeah he has played with Collison, but I think he'll go elsewhere, not sure where.

I do think the CBA will control a lot of things. Players may become available that we haven't even thought about.

vnzla81
03-06-2011, 09:28 PM
I think as long as we don't get outbid, that we could have a good job at Mayo.

It will come down to what the Grizzlies want to do with their big guys. Randolph and Gasol are both up at the end of the season. They've already maxed out Rudy Gay. If they want to keep both Zach and Marc, they may need to drop salary depending on CBA. They'll keep Conley and Gay, may move Mayo and with us having the cap space, we'll have a chance to get him without them having to take back salary. So will a lot of other teams though.

I like West, but I don't think he'll want to come to Indy, yeah he played at Xavier, yeah he has played with Collison, but I think he'll go elsewhere, not sure where.

I do think the CBA will control a lot of things. Players may become available that we haven't even thought about.

To tell you the true I am not so sure about Mayo anymore, I have been paying more attention to him and he is pretty much a bench player.

LA_Confidential
03-06-2011, 09:40 PM

Or more recently Tyson Chandler for Emeka Okafor

pwee31
03-06-2011, 09:43 PM
To tell you the true I am not so sure about Mayo anymore, I have been paying more attention to him and he is pretty much a bench player.

I disagree, I just think he needs out of Memphis. He's better than any SG we have on our roster. I know everyone is high on George and rightfully so, but Mayo is better right now and he's what 23 or 24 years old?

I would still have interest in Mayo this offseason

BRushWithDeath
03-06-2011, 09:51 PM

If his Hornets teammates felt the same way about playing with him as his current teammates do, that will not be an incentive.

Trophy
03-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Speaking of Randolph, he just scored the game winner.

EDIT: Mayo had a decent game too. I still really want him and Randolph too.

pwee31
03-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Randolph will be 30 in July, not bad since he really doesn't use athleticism anyway.

He just scares me to death with his history. Very underrated player, would really help this team, but one slip up and it's everywhere

vnzla81
03-06-2011, 11:41 PM
By the way, we keep talking about getting a power forward but the way things are looking right now we might need to start looking for a point guard once again.

Psyren
03-07-2011, 12:07 AM
By the way, we keep talking about getting a power forward but the way things are looking right now we might need to start looking for a point guard once again.

I don't know about that.

Yes, Collison has been downright terrible recently. As in worse than TJ terrible (who knew that was possible)?

Still, Collison is a 2nd year player.

Price is a 2nd year player.

Lance (Not interested in a "Can Lance play point guard?" discussion :laugh:) is a rookie.

I'm not sure why we're all back on the "We need a new PG OMGGGGGGGGGG" thought process.

Maybe none of them are the answer. But I'm not ready to throw in the towel on our point guards who combined have less than 5 years experience.