PDA

View Full Version : I want Chuck Hayes on the Pacers.

O'Braindead
03-06-2011, 02:46 PM
"It takes everyone having an effort and I don't think we can give enough credit to Chuck," Adelman said. "Of all the things that happen in a game defensively and all the things you try to do, the one thing we have not had to worry about is doubling his guy. He takes the guy and he plays him."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7459124.html

"You have to move on to the next play, but I take it so personal when somebody scores," Hayes said. "I have 16,000 people watching me play defense. Plus, I know if I stop you and you're the primary scorer, we have a chance to win."

"He's got great footwork, understands what his opponent is going to try to do and he's just damn strong," Adelman said. "You can't move him. He just doesn't get enough credit. Last year, I couldn't understand how he didn't get any votes for defensive team. He doesn't get the minutes some of these other guys do. He doesn't block shots. But he's every bit as good a defender as anybody in the league in the post."

"It's more about, for me, watching film to see how other people guarded him, who did well and who didn't," Hayes said. "If I see Kevin (Love) going middle and scoring, I'm going to send him baseline. The best shot for me is if I can make somebody take a fadeaway, a turnaround jumper. Nothing to the rim. I try my best to keep them out of the middle of the paint.

"Day of the game, I usually just watch a snippet, but I'll watch extended film on Blake Griffin and Kevin Love because they're fairly new and still coming into their game. And I remember what worked that game, what shots I wanted him to take and the shots he made. If I can get him running back to the 3-point line I will. Kevin Love, I don't want to do that. I want to crowd him."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7394515.html

Chuck Hayes is the perfect guy to back up Roy Hibbert for 22-26 minutes a game. Someone said in the game thread that he is a poor man's Kendrick Perkins, and I agree. We need some post defense and toughness badly, and alas! Chuck Hayes is tough, physical, and he is a veteran and he would help us tremendously. He is Jeff Foster, except he is impossible to move.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hayesch01.html

His per36 numbers are very impressive, and I think that he is just a perfect fit to bring the polar opposite of what Roy Hibbert brings. He rebounds the ball well, plays stellar defense, plays tough, and he is a work horse. He is one of those Jeff Foster/Kendrick Perkins guys that every good team needs.

Chuck Hayes is an unrestricted free agent after this season. Would you guys like to take a look at Chuck Hayes?

31andonly
03-06-2011, 03:10 PM
I want Luis Scola on the Pacers.

dal9
03-06-2011, 03:17 PM
damn you know things are bad when we are pining for a 6"6' PF with no offensive game

vnzla81
03-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Aim higher than 6'6'' for a power forward.

Scot Pollard
03-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Oh God I don't. That little weeny playing the big man position for us is like putting Dahntay Jones at center.

imawhat
03-06-2011, 03:29 PM
He plays much, much taller than his height. I wouldn't mind having Chuck on our team at all.

Scot Pollard
03-06-2011, 03:31 PM
He plays much, much taller than his height. I wouldn't mind having Chuck on our team at all.

I hope Roy will **** him up.

I read his lips and then Roy told him off.

avoidingtheclowns
03-06-2011, 03:48 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0wQq9YWZ568" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gross.

vnzla81
03-06-2011, 03:50 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0wQq9YWZ568" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gross.

Yeah that is what we need :laugh:

ColeTheMole
03-06-2011, 04:00 PM
I think the perfect backup center would be Omer Asik.

Mark
03-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Ugh... Chuck Barkley's golf swing looks better than that.

O'Braindead
03-06-2011, 05:29 PM
damn you know things are bad when we are pining for a 6"6' PF with no offensive game

Chuck Hayes is a center who plays taller than Roy Hibbert does.

To say that he doesn't have an offensive game is ignorant and misinformed as well. He averages seven points per game on 55% shooting and he also averages 2.3 assists per game in less than 26 minutes of playing time per game. Those numbers are comparable to Josh McRoberts' who I would not say lacks an offensive game because it is not true.

Once again, I do not want him starting. However, he is Kendrick Perkins lite and he brings the defense that we lack and more. When was the last time that we've seen this:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/B6f5Uyu6Dv4?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We need this if we are going to expect Roy to play 28 minutes or so per game. He is not the defensive player that we need. If we are going to give him a big role than we are going to need an energizer bunny. I really like Chuck Hayes for that role.

Aim higher than 6'6'' for a power forward.

You are missing my point by a mile. Chuck Hayes could play 22-24 minutes per game for us off the bench as a backup center; The position he's been playing all year. This is not the run-of-the-mill "Grab *instert mediocre player here* thread". Chuck Hayes is much better than Corey Brewer, Ramon Sessions, etcetera that get brought up around here a lot.

He is not the answer in any, way, shape, or form. But a player like Chuck Hayes, Jeff Foster (Who is on the decline), or Kendrick Perkins are vital to a good team. He plays stellar post defense, plays very good off ball defense, is a very good offensive rebounder (3.9 per 36 minutes), finishes around the rim, is a good outlet passer, and he is a good passer in general.

This isn't an "Aim higher". He is a good complimentary piece. Maybe this will help you understand (Or maybe it won't because I do not expect an actual discussion/debate with you. Probably just passive aggressiveness and pointless bickering):

http://www.thedreamshake.com/2010/5/11/1468295/why-retain-chuck-hayes-a

Oh God I don't. That little weeny playing the big man position for us is like putting Dahntay Jones at center.

He plays taller than Roy Hibbert, Jeff Foster, and Solomon Jones. He also has a big body so he uses his backside to shield shot blockers (A lot like Jared Sullinger out of OSU, and Charles Barkley).

He is the polar opposite of Roy, which would be a good thing for us. I'd rather have a post defender and real tough guy rather than a fake tough guy, pure shotblocker with no offensive game like DeAndre Jordan that very many people are drooling over. I would much rather give someone like Hayes the MLE over Josh McRoberts or DeAndre Jordan who aren't "Hard hat" players.

PS: His free throw form isn't like that anymore. :chuckle:

idioteque
03-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Am I the only one who gets kind of tired of these threads about how we need this or that bench player? Say Jeff retires and this guy is his replacement, okay, we're basically at the same position where we were last year.

What this team needs to do is upgrade its starting lineup. We already have one of the best benches in the NBA, but in the way the league is constructed it doesn't mean that much if your starters are less than mediocre.

O'Braindead
03-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Am I the only one who gets kind of tired of these threads about how we need this or that bench player? Say Jeff retires and this guy is his replacement, okay, we're basically at the same position where we were last year.

What this team needs to do is upgrade its starting lineup. We already have one of the best benches in the NBA, but in the way the league is constructed it doesn't mean that much if your starters are less than mediocre.

Chuck is different than Brewer, Sessions, Anderson, etc. He is actually a difference maker. He is as good, if not better, than Roy Hibbert currently is.

I love Jeff Foster, but he is not as good as Chuck Hayes and Chuck would probably split minutes with Roy as well as playing some power forward. We lack toughness; Chuck Hayes brings that. We need toughness. I've been watching basketball forever and guys like Chuck aren't a dime a dozen like DeAndre, Josh are.

I definitely agree about the starting lineup. Brandon Rush, Darren Collison, and Josh McRoberts are not starters in this league. Bring in a power forward (No to Zach Randolph), a shooting guard, and a stop-gap point guard for us next season like Andre Miller or Raymond Felton.

BringJackBack
03-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Yeah Chuck Hayes is a lot better than the crap that gets brought up around here sometimes.. This is actually valid and I think Hayes would be very good for us. I thought a lot of times that we need a guy like CH at center when Roy would get pushed around. The guy is a brick wall and he does a good job of running the floor.

owl
03-06-2011, 06:17 PM
The Pacers soooo badly need some toughness underneath. The Pacers are soft at the center and need another physical pf like Hayes who can also man the center spot.
He is on my list of players to get.
PG is not much better.

Justin Tyme
03-06-2011, 07:08 PM
The Rockets have been looking for a center all year. "If" Hayes was that great, they wouldn't have been looking. He's 6'6" who isn't successful against the Big centers where he has success against PF's playing center. If he's as much as Adelman says, then Houston will do what is necessary to keep him. He's only making 2 mil, so it shouldn't an issue for Houston to re-sign him.

I'm looking for a starting quality PF that can play b/u center that has size.

Bury Your Dead
03-06-2011, 07:12 PM
I think you have a major valid point. Infact just watching that video of Chuck handling Amare, really sheads lite on the fact that we could really use somone like Chuck. Reminds me of a smaller Dale Davis. He'll break your neck if you try and come in the post. Hell yes!

mildlysane
03-06-2011, 10:11 PM
I would like Scola as a Pacer, but after watching the video against Amare, I wouldn't mind Hayes. He seems alot like Tyler, but on defense.

pacer4ever
03-06-2011, 10:18 PM
I want LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Serge Ibaka, Blake Griffen and Eric Gordon on the Pacers. Make it happen Larry!!!

BringJackBack
03-06-2011, 10:19 PM
I want LeBron James and Kevin Durant and Serge Ibaka and Blake Griffen and Eric Gordon on the Pacers. Make it happen Larry!!!

What does that even mean?

BlueNGold
03-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Hayes makes his living putting a body on people. He has some quickness along with a tank for a body. I really, really like him, but I tend to think he's fouling in some of those clips. Never with his hands, but he's bumping more with his body than should be allowed considering the way the game is called in the 21st century.

Personally, I think he looks like a smaller and a bit thicker version of Charles Oakley.

MrHale
03-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Hmmm not a real big fan but I guess he wouldn't hurt our team, id have to watch more of him but man handling one of the softest big men in the league, gotta giv him props for that

Cactus Jax
03-07-2011, 09:44 AM
What does that even mean?

It basically means stop these pointless threads about bring X player to the team, and why they're so wonderful and will be the Godsend to the team. Remember how long and boring the offseason is, there's pleanty of time for these type of threads to come up. Plus there's a looming lockout at hand so free-agency will probably not begin at July 1st unless a miracle occurs.

Chuck Hayes is decent but not the force that's needed at PF, Roy needs a shooter at PF to keep people out of the paint to double him, not a guy that's gonna clog up the paint and add defenders to get in Roy's way.

owl
03-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Chuck Hayes is decent but not the force that's needed at PF, Roy needs a shooter at PF to keep people out of the paint to double him, not a guy that's gonna clog up the paint and add defenders to get in Roy's way.

Troy Murphy fits that description and he is available. That worked out well the first time.

Major Cold
03-07-2011, 10:54 AM
For crying out loud the OP has every right to assert his opinion on a player that they think could make this team better. If you don't agree, then don't agree.

O'Braindead
03-07-2011, 05:28 PM
It basically means stop these pointless threads about bring X player to the team, and why they're so wonderful and will be the Godsend to the team. Remember how long and boring the offseason is, there's pleanty of time for these type of threads to come up. Plus there's a looming lockout at hand so free-agency will probably not begin at July 1st unless a miracle occurs.

Let me make this simple for you, Cactus Jax.

Chuck Hayes > Ryan Anderson, Corey Brewer, Oliver Lafayette, Ramon Sessions, and Anthony Tolliver

This is not one of those, "Let's give Player X a tryout for the rest of the year." Chuck will be getting paid by a team in the summer, and I'm just saying that I hope it is us.

Chuck Hayes is not going to be the starting power forward like you think he would. If you actually read my posts, he will be the back up center and he fits like a glove to back Roy Hibbert up.

Yes, we need a starting power forward. That is obvious. But that has absolutely nothing to do with Chuck Hayes or the backup center spot. We need a tough guy, Chuck Hayes is the tough guy in free agency in the summer.

We will continue to get demolished in the paint by bigs until we get a guy like Chuck Hayes to play some post defense. Chuck is not just an adequate post defender, he is an excellent post defender. I don't understand what is so difficult to understand here. If we have the opportunity to sign him for the MLE for 3-4 years than that is a huge bargain. He is much better than DeAndre Jordan or Josh McRoberts who have been prepped up as our MLE guys in the summer on the board.

Hayes would be a fan favorite here and he and Tyler's energy off the bench would flat out win us some games down the stretch of the year. He wouldn't be a guy who just plays 13-15 minutes per game. He's going to be splitting minutes with Roy, probably averaging more like 23-25 minutes per game. I compare him to a Kendrick Perkins lite which is exactly what the doctor ordered for this somewhat soft team.

D-BONE
03-07-2011, 09:14 PM
Yeah I brought up Hayes some time ago and basically got shot down, too. My point was the same as yours. Yes we need some starters, but we also terribly need some toughness inside. So Hayes as a big off the bench would help a lot.

You hope to add a better piece or two in terms of starters, but they may or may not bring the toughness. We need as much as that as we can get. Jeff's still pretty effective there, but he's getting old. That leaves us with Tyler. McBob and Hibbert are basically finesse players.

ashishduh
03-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Rockets fan here, defending Chuck Hayes to the masses!

Chuck can definitely start at the 4 for a good team, it's not his fault he's forced to play center for the Rockets. Imagine how good he'd be actually playing with a center?

Also, he's a better offensive player than any big man you guys have, no offense. He operates off the high post and also has a knack for finishing around the basket. You obviously don't pay much attention to him, which is to be expected. :)

His only weaknesses are that he doesn't have any jump shot whatsoever (he can hit FTs now btw) and when he gets a rebound or steal, sometimes(rarely) he thinks he can handle the ball. He can't, he really really can't. But hey, he's improved a ton every single year he's been in the league so look for Hayes to start knocking down 18 footers someday soon.

15th parallel
03-24-2011, 09:39 AM
Thought to bump this thread. Today he's logged a triple-double: 14 rebounds, 13 points, and 11 assists. 14 assists and 14 rebounds for an undersized PF/C? Although it's something that's rare for him, he's been constant in rebounds and assists. Hope Larry's targeting him as an additional big man come free agency time.

naptownmenace
03-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Thought to bump this thread. Today he's logged a triple-double: 14 rebounds, 13 points, and 11 assists. 14 assists and 14 rebounds for an undersized PF/C? Although it's something that's rare for him, he's been constant in rebounds and assists. Hope Larry's targeting him as an additional big man come free agency time.

I've commented on Chuck Hayes several times in the Free Agency threads that have popped up and I've been a fan of his hustle and grit since the days when he started next to Yao back when they had Cuttino Mobley and Stevie Franchise.

He can do every thing Foster does and do it better. At 6'6" he is still one of the best post defenders because of his lateral quickness. He also has good hands and can finish around the basket.

The Pacers should definitely target him with the thought of him backing up both the PF and Center position. I doubt the Rockets will let him slip away though. He's been there his entire career and they view him the same way the Pacers view Jeff Foster.

MyFavMartin
03-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Looks like Rick Adelman might be available.

NapTonius Monk
03-24-2011, 11:17 AM
Shorter, but would be the Dale Davis type player this team lacks. We tend to lean toward measurements/statistics above all else, but his intangible value would likely mean a ton to this team.

15th parallel
03-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Shorter, but would be the Dale Davis type player this team lacks. We tend to lean toward measurements/statistics above all else, but his intangible value would likely mean a ton to this team.

I agree. Aside from that, he's also skilled. In the past several games he's played big minutes, he grabbed a ridiculous amount of rebounds for his size, has active hands for deflections or steals, and he can really find teammates for easy buckets. He can really be a good complement to our bigs because he's a tough fellow like Foster, but can help teammates with his passing and some interior offense when there's an opportunity for him to score.

Hicks
03-24-2011, 11:33 AM
Hayes would be a great backup C if Jeff doesn't/can't return.

Really?
03-24-2011, 12:09 PM
I think the perfect backup center would be Omer Asik.

Back up, he could be a starter in this league with the right coach, lots of upside

Yeah but you need to keep a strong bench if you ever want to contend or even make the playoffs...

Really our bench this year is why we are even in the position to get into the playoffs

Hayes would be a great backup C if Jeff doesn't/can't return.

Yeah I would like him as a back up but I wonder if HOU will try to lock him up.. or another playoff team that understands the value of having a good bench player