PDA

View Full Version : head coaching position

PacersPride
03-05-2011, 04:49 PM
I really like Vogel and think he has a bright future in this league down the road. Not sure he is the right fit though for the Indiana Pacers at this time. What I mean by this is, we have several young players and right now we need an established coach who can teach these young guys the game. Vogel would be more ideally suited for a veteran team.

Therefore, i have a two-fold question here:

1) Who is a specific coach you are hoping will be considered or even hired for the Pacers next year?

2) What type of coach are you hoping is hired, ie. a fast break 3pt shooting type of coach, balanced inside-out, defensive, offensive coach???

I will add a few coaching candidates im hoping to see considered, but feel welcome to add your own if you have a few in mind.

I will allow the multi-vote option for this poll.

cdash
03-05-2011, 04:53 PM
I like Mike Brown, Jeff Van Gundy (which isn't going to happen), and Kevin McHale. Not entirely opposed to Bill Laimbeer.

PacersPride
03-05-2011, 05:01 PM
your right, VanGundy isnt really an option, and i hope Laimbeer is not hired here, nvr really liked that guy much.

though i will admit, i like the style he brings. hoping for a defensive minded coach. i really like Rick Calisles style of coaching, maybe too much micromanaging but i cant blame the guy with that group.

i think mike brown is the obvious hire for next season.

BringJackBack
03-05-2011, 05:15 PM
I have a hunch that if we picked up Mike Brown he would get annoying.. He would do stupid things that Obie would do like mess up rotations, not play the young guys, play guys like Posey and TJ for no reason, etc..

I don't know why I have this hunch, but I do.

I've somewhat softened by stance on Vogel because he won't start George and he has Brandon/Mike playing too many minutes. On top of that I just think that he has too much trust in our guys to a point that it kind of costs us. For example, in the GSW game he put the starters back in and they blew the lead, yet he still closed with them. It worked out in our favor, but if we were playing a good team it wouldn't have. I will be mad if he's not back, but I won't go ape **** like I would have about 8 games ago.

JVG and Mark Jackson are not options and I have no clue about Bill. I don't want Lawrence Frank either as he just isn't a sexy choice at all. He wouldn't help us at all.. Just a guy to plug a hole.

Bball
03-05-2011, 05:17 PM
Vogel with some solid assistants on the bench is intriguing to me. It's too early to make the hire though. We need to see the summer landscape.

Will Galen
03-05-2011, 05:18 PM
I'm for who ever the front office picks.

Spirit
03-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Anyone but Mike Brown. Dude doesn't coach, he just sits and watches.

PacersPride
03-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Vogel with some solid assistants on the bench is intriguing to me. It's too early to make the hire though. We need to see the summer landscape.

Thats a good idea as well. I realize its early, but the glaring weakness this team seems to have is experience across the board.

Im not sold on Mike Brown at all, but i can see the FO taking a look at him since he was an assistant for Carlisle and reportedly well respected within the organization.

The Jackson shimmy
03-05-2011, 05:56 PM
I voted for Mike Brown and here's why. He's respected by today's NBA
players (well, other than LBJ, who doesn't really allow himself to 'be
coached' by anyone).

I'm not and have never really been a big Granger fan. But it appears
he's here to stay. Assuming so, Brown is a guy I can see getting
Granger to play his arse off and meet his potential in every area
of the game.

If he's gonna be the Pacers' lead dog, we need a HC who can get the
most out of him.

That aside, Brown is a very good defensive coach. He's weaker on the
offensive end, but a strong, offensive lead assistant can balance that
out.

Eleazar
03-05-2011, 05:57 PM
I'm not sold on anyone at this point. My only opinion is that Vogel should be guaranteed an interview and should be taken seriously as the future head coach. He has done enough in my opinion to earn that right.

PacersPride
03-05-2011, 06:08 PM
if Nate McMillen became available this offseason I would add him to the list as well.

Spirit
03-05-2011, 06:25 PM
I'm not sold on anyone at this point. My only opinion is that Vogel should be guaranteed an interview and should be taken seriously as the future head coach. He has done enough in my opinion to earn that right.

It's not his fault this team has been losing. We need to improve the roster.

PS: Before anyone says "how is it not Vogel's fault, when you say it was O'Brien's?", we all knew that his style would never work. Vogel is letting the players play the way they want, and it is a good strategy. Plus, players like him. Not so much for O'Brien.

LA_Confidential
03-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Vogel with better talent on the roster.

Bball
03-05-2011, 06:53 PM
I'm for who ever the front office picks.

After seeing the prior choice of O'Brien, and the length of time they stuck with him, I'm not inclined to blindly and automatically believe they will make the proper choice.

A decision as bad as O'Brien deserves to haunt Bird et al... for a while.

Scot Pollard
03-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Either Mike Woodson or Frank Vogel.

I don't know if I can trust anyone anymore.

Vogel does what I want as far as keeping the rotations good.

We need a teacher coach and I think coach Woody would be perfect.

Scot Pollard
03-05-2011, 07:11 PM
After seeing the prior choice of O'Brien, and the length of time they stuck with him, I'm not inclined to blindly and automatically believe they will make the proper choice.

A decision as bad as O'Brien deserves to haunt Bird et al... for a while.

Just a small request.

Please change your mood!

I can't seeing that boneheads face!

I haven't seen it literally since we fired him.

Sookie
03-05-2011, 07:13 PM
I was in favor of Bill.

Now I don't think Roy could handle that.

I want to see how Frank finishes the year before I decide.

troyc11a
03-05-2011, 07:15 PM
I voted for Mike Brown and here's why. He's respected by today's NBA
players (well, other than LBJ, who doesn't really allow himself to 'be
coached' by anyone).

I'm not and have never really been a big Granger fan. But it appears
he's here to stay. Assuming so, Brown is a guy I can see getting
Granger to play his arse off and meet his potential in every area
of the game.

If he's gonna be the Pacers' lead dog, we need a HC who can get the
most out of him.

That aside, Brown is a very good defensive coach. He's weaker on the
offensive end, but a strong, offensive lead assistant can balance that
out.

I am not sure we know enough about Mike Brown. Anyone could have coached the Cavs when all you do is ask LBJ what he wants to do. I honestly think I would pass on Brown.

McKeyFan
03-05-2011, 07:23 PM
I was in favor of Bill.

Now I don't think Roy could handle that.

I want to see how Frank finishes the year before I decide.
Same here.

There's a lot to like about Vogel in terms of attidude and his insistence on sticking with guys during a game.

But, we need to see what his adjustments look like. Eventually, he needs to make some. More Lance? Less Collison? Tyler and/or George as starters?

What about some different defensive tactics or emphasis?

So far, he's won almost all the games he was supposed to. But I am going to need to see him keep doing that plus steal two or three before I'm ready to anoint him coach over another proven commodity.

Bball
03-05-2011, 07:23 PM
Just a small request.

Please change your mood!

I can't seeing that boneheads face!

I haven't seen it literally since we fired him.

Hicks has to do it for me. I'd love to see it gone as well. I'm one of the people that for reasons unknown does not have the option to set or change moods. Clearing cookies doesn't help. Doesn't matter which browser I use.

Hicks had to set it for me too. The place where the mood options should be just isn't there on my computer.

Bball
03-05-2011, 07:25 PM
But I am going to need to see him keep doing that plus steal two or three before I'm ready to anoint him coach over another proven commodity.

Of course one person's proven commodity is another person's retread....

The Jackson shimmy
03-05-2011, 07:34 PM
troyc11a-

Nothing I said is based on his stint in CLE. It's all a result of what I
know about him (have been around him a bit away from the
game) and observed in his earlier time with the Pacers organization.

Young
03-05-2011, 07:35 PM
I think that Coach Vogel has done a pretty good job. I never expected to say that. I like his attitude. However just because he has done a good job for half the season doesn't mean he is the right guy to coach this team for the next 3-4 years.

I do like Mike Brown. I think this team would be much better on defense. Basketball is a game of offense and defense though. Also, just because Brown is a really good defensive coach doesn't mean he is a good head coach. There is game planning, rotations, motivating, play calling, etc. Certainly he wasn't impressive in some of those areas in Cleveland. On the other hand I don't think it was a winning situation for him with Lebron.

I said this before but I don't want the Pacers to settle for a recycled coach like they did with O'Brien.

croz24
03-05-2011, 07:39 PM
I am not sure we know enough about Mike Brown. Anyone could have coached the Cavs when all you do is ask LBJ what he wants to do. I honestly think I would pass on Brown.

would you agree that this years heat team has far more talent than any cavs team under brown? then why can wade, lebron, and bosh not beat a .500+ team to save their life while a mike brown coached cavs team was leading the cavs to 60+ wins and the best record in the league with mo williams and varejao as sidekicks.

Pacertron
03-05-2011, 07:50 PM
Well my vote went for Van Gundy even though it will never happen, nice to dream though, hah. I'm not a big Mike Brown fan, I don't think he will be a savior here. Mark Jackson would be a fun ride, but I don't see that happening either. I am fine with whoever the front office picks really, as long as it is not a JOB clone.

BoomBaby33
03-05-2011, 07:53 PM
OK, i would like to put Bill Laimbeer on the poll. Heres my vote for him!!! I liked him back when Obie was named the coach! He knows the game and knows toughness and agressiveness, and can help our guys play that way. I really liked him as the detroit shock head coach - i know its womens, but i think he would command alot of respect. And now, i dont think he would bail on us to go back to the pistons because they are gonna be bad for a few years. Hes one of those guys that if he is your opponent you hate him, but if he is on your team you love him. Bring him in Larry, and no disrespect to Frank, he has done a great job under the circumstances. Mike Brown would be OK i guess, but we need fresh blood in the system. Bill can give our marginal players some confidence!!!

pacer4ever
03-05-2011, 08:07 PM
OK, i would like to put Bill Laimbeer on the poll. Heres my vote for him!!! I liked him back when Obie was named the coach! He knows the game and knows toughness and agressiveness, and can help our guys play that way. I really liked him as the detroit shock head coach - i know its womens, but i think he would command alot of respect. And now, i dont think he would bail on us to go back to the pistons because they are gonna be bad for a few years. Hes one of those guys that if he is your opponent you hate him, but if he is on your team you love him. Bring him in Larry, and no disrespect to Frank, he has done a great job under the circumstances. Mike Brown would be OK i guess, but we need fresh blood in the system. Bill can give our marginal players some confidence!!!

If Larry Bird stays here 0% chance Laimbeer will ever coach here while Larry is here

PacersPride
03-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Im going to add Nate McMillen to the list because his contract expires with portland after this season.

Im good with several of these coaches, Adelman, McMillen, Brown, Frank and even Vogel if we get him some assistants with experience.

i dont think it happens very often, but even if a new coach is brought in i would like to see Vogel retained as an assistant.

Unclebuck
03-07-2011, 01:33 PM
I want the best defensive coach available. I'm sick and tired of watching our poor defense. So Mike Brown is our man unless JVG wants the job.

Justin Tyme
03-07-2011, 03:21 PM
I didn't vote, but Brown doesn't excite me other than the idea of being a "D" coach.

I questioned a month or more about Rick Adelman as a coach. He seems to be successful, but I'm not sure what type coach he is.

I'd like to see Lamibeer as a NBA head coach, but it is out of the question in Pacerland as long as Bird is here.

BRushWithDeath
03-07-2011, 03:37 PM
Mike Brown is pigeon holed as a poor offensive coach because his offense in Cleveland was to give LeBron the ball and have all those other jokers (who are now the worst team in the NBA by a long shot without LeBron) get the hell out of his way.

You know what every other decent coach in history would do with LeBron and that supporting cast? Give him the ball and have everyone else get the hell out of his way.

Because it worked.

I'm not going to say he's a good offensive coach. I really don't know. But he did in Cleveland what his team needed to best utilize who they had. And that makes him a good head coach. Whether he's an offensive or defensive guru is of no consequence.

I'll take a guy who takes what he has and plays to their strengths.

pacergod2
03-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Bill Laimbeer. Bill Laimbeer. Bill Laimbeer.

Toughness. Defense. Rebounding. Big man coach, which I think Hibbert's development is the key to our getting to the next level at this point. He's great with X's and O's. Experience with winning. A name that people can get behind. He is the perfect coaching candidate for us.

And anybody that thinks that Larry Bird won't hire him because they didn't like playing against each other is being ridiculous. Larry Bird has more integrity and sense than that, IMO.

PacersPride
03-07-2011, 05:08 PM

Toughness. Defense. Rebounding. Big man coach, which I think Hibbert's development is the key to our getting to the next level at this point. He's great with X's and O's. Experience with winning. A name that people can get behind. He is the perfect coaching candidate for us.

And anybody that thinks that Larry Bird won't hire him because they didn't like playing against each other is being ridiculous. Larry Bird has more integrity and sense than that, IMO.

Bill Laimbeer hasnt proven anything. just like coaching college is different than pro, i suspect there would be differences as well from coaching men and women.

your welcome to add Laimbeer to the candidate list, but he sure as hell isnt getting my vote. im willing to be honest about it, i dont want a guy who was a former piston at one time coaching the pacers.

its that simple. there are plenty of better coaching candidates available than to settle on an unproven inexperienced nba head coach like laimbeer.

vnzla81
03-07-2011, 05:14 PM

I remember hearing Mchale on TNT telling the other guys that he still doesn't like Bill, I think is possible that Larry feels the same way.

pacergod2
03-07-2011, 05:24 PM
I read somewhere that McMillan is getting extended by Portland.

Also, if you think we are going to get a seasoned NBA coach in here then I think you are kidding yourself. Mike Brown is probably the only coach with NBA experience that will be a candidate. I don't like Mike Brown as a basketball coach. He makes terrible mistakes with game management. He is a defensive minded coach which I do like. But he doesn't manage games well and I would think we would be a worse team with Brown as our coach. Our team doesn't have enough talent to overcome his shortfalls as a coach. No offense to him, because I really like the man. I just don't think he is the guy that could get us over the hump.

Larry Bird is not Kevin McHale, so your assertion is baseless.

vnzla81
03-07-2011, 05:36 PM
I read somewhere that McMillan is getting extended by Portland.

Also, if you think we are going to get a seasoned NBA coach in here then I think you are kidding yourself. Mike Brown is probably the only coach with NBA experience that will be a candidate. I don't like Mike Brown as a basketball coach. He makes terrible mistakes with game management. He is a defensive minded coach which I do like. But he doesn't manage games well and I would think we would be a worse team with Brown as our coach. Our team doesn't have enough talent to overcome his shortfalls as a coach. No offense to him, because I really like the man. I just don't think he is the guy that could get us over the hump.

Larry Bird is not Kevin McHale, so your assertion is baseless.

I guess I'm sorry for telling you what I heard, damn.......

grace
03-07-2011, 06:33 PM

Doubt that will happen as long as Larry is in charge. I wish it could happen if only to see the two of them get into a fight when they have a disagreement about how the team should be run. Now THAT would be FANtastic!!!

Kegboy
03-08-2011, 12:55 PM

On more than one occasion Laimbeer has literally laughed in the face of anyone bringing up the notion of Bird hiring him.

Kegboy
03-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Bill Laimbeer hasnt proven anything. just like coaching college is different than pro, i suspect there would be differences as well from coaching men and women.

I've actually seen a number of coaches in women's basketball, both college and pro, that berate their players alot worse then you see in men's. I've got a lot of respect for Laimbeer, but quite frankly, I don't think our players are mentally strong enough to handle him.

Really?
03-08-2011, 01:02 PM
lol I mean they are just candidates right, meaning they will have to come in and show why they should get the just so why not choose everyone... Maybe in the interview process you will find someone who you really think is the guy u should choose...

On a side not I think that there is about 0 chance Van Gundy wants to coach the pacers... and thats based on pure why?

Please enlighten

ColeTheMole
03-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Funny how the schedule so strongly changes peoples minds about a coach.

Sookie
03-08-2011, 01:19 PM
I've actually seen a number of coaches in women's basketball, both college and pro, that berate their players alot worse then you see in men's. I've got a lot of respect for Laimbeer, but quite frankly, I don't think our players are mentally strong enough to handle him.

Yea, women will listen, and want to please their coach. So there isn't an ego problem (which happens with Men).

Laimbeer would help Tyler and Josh grow a lot. And he had a good relationship with a lot of the Detroit Shock players, so it's not all berating. Probably be good for Lance too.

I thought because this team was filled (mostly) with a bunch of top college guys who are used to that sort of coach, it wouldn't be a problem. My concern now, is that Roy would become the guy he picked on. And I know Roy couldn't handle that.

Really?
03-08-2011, 03:22 PM
u can take McMillan off, just signed a 2 yr extension

pacergod2
03-08-2011, 03:38 PM
I guess I'm sorry for telling you what I heard, damn.......

Didn't mean to sound overboard there! I just think that for someone to not hire someone else who is a qualified candidate just because they used to play against each other is obtuse. Bird seems like a guy that can separate what happened on a basketball court 20 years ago from what is best for his team, job, and franchise. (I'm not saying that Laimbeer is necessarily the answer, but it's the premise behind the sentiment).

Can you please replace McMillan with Laimbeer since his name has been brought up by several people?

grace
03-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Yea, women will listen, and want to please their coach. So there isn't an ego problem (which happens with Men).

You think women don't have egos?

Sookie
03-08-2011, 04:39 PM
You think women don't have egos?

Not when it comes to dealing with their coach. For the most part, the attitudes come out with each other. Just from what I've noticed. The respect for the coach is always there, at least publicly. And they are mostly obedient.

They also aren't fed as much BS about themselves growing up, just because they could play a sport. They aren't worshiped like those men have been, so they don't think they are gods.

And I don't think not listening would be the problem with Laimbeer. I think his verbal attacks might be an issue with Roy. Roy doesn't need the head games and dictatorship.

pacer4ever
03-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Not when it comes to dealing with their coach. For the most part, the attitudes come out with each other. Just from what I've noticed. The respect for the coach is always there, at least publicly. And they are mostly obedient.

They also aren't fed as much BS about themselves growing up, just because they could play a sport. They aren't worshiped like those men have been, so they don't think they are gods.

And I don't think not listening would be the problem with Laimbeer. I think his verbal attacks might be an issue with Roy. Roy doesn't need the head games and dictatorship.

You have't been to schools in the city

bnd45
03-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Add the Rifleman to the list...

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2011-03-08/source-chuck-person-a-candidate-for-pacers-head-coaching-job

Los Angeles Lakers assistant Chuck Person has gotten a good bit of pub in the last couple of days, after head coach Phil Jackson—always known for his willingness to praise his assistants—noted that the team’s defensive surge over the last seven games should be credited to Person. Since the All-Star break, the Lakers have allowed 87.0 points per game and 40.3 percent shooting.

“We kind of gave Chuck Person dedicated moments in practice to really work on our defense,” Jackson told reporters, according to the Los Angeles Times. “He’s been good with the guys and handled it really well. We’ve taken extra time defensively in practice rather than doing as much execution offensively as we have in the past.”

Chuck Person will be a candidate for the Indiana Pacers' job, according to a source. (AP Photo)
Person was elevated to a full assistant’s role this year in L.A., which could pay off for him when teams start hiring head coaches in the summer. A source tells Sporting News that Person is expected to be a candidate for head coaching jobs next year, particularly the one in Indiana, where Person played six seasons. He also served as an assistant coach for the Pacers under Rick Carlisle, and was interviewed as a candidate when Indiana fired Carlisle. The team eventually brought in Jim O’Brien.

“He’d be the ideal fit,” the source said. “A lot of it depends on how things shake out with Larry Bird and the front office. But Chuck is young and will bring a lot of energy. He will command the respect of players, he is really a good fit for a young team like that one.”

Current Pacers coach Frank Vogel, who took over for O’Brien on an interim basis, has done a nice job, with the Pacers going 10-8 under his direction. He should, at least, get consideration for the job. Former Cavs coach and Pacers assistant Mike Brown, too, has been rumored to be under consideration in Indiana.

PacersPride
03-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Didn't mean to sound overboard there! I just think that for someone to not hire someone else who is a qualified candidate just because they used to play against each other is obtuse. Bird seems like a guy that can separate what happened on a basketball court 20 years ago from what is best for his team, job, and franchise. (I'm not saying that Laimbeer is necessarily the answer, but it's the premise behind the sentiment).

Can you please replace McMillan with Laimbeer since his name has been brought up by several people?

I think it goes farther than Bird/Laimbeer; I prefer a former piston not coach this team.

*Hicks, is there a way to replace or delete candidates on the list? If so, please delete Nate McMillen. Thank you.

BillS
03-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Hmm. The Rifleman would be an interesting possibility.

Sookie
03-08-2011, 05:16 PM
You have't been to schools in the city

I'm talking college and pro level, not high school. Good luck to the coach that has to deal with high school girls. :laugh:

BillS
03-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Good luck to the coach that has to deal with high school girls. :laugh:

:onozomg:

OakMoses
03-08-2011, 06:28 PM
I questioned a month or more about Rick Adelman as a coach. He seems to be successful, but I'm not sure what type coach he is.

If Rick Adelman were available and willing to come here, it would be a really terrible decision not to hire him. He was a good coach in Sacramento and has done a fantastic job with some mediocre talent in Houston.

Pacersalltheway10
03-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Add chuck person to the mix.

QuickRelease
03-08-2011, 07:21 PM
would you agree that this years heat team has far more talent than any cavs team under brown? then why can wade, lebron, and bosh not beat a .500+ team to save their life while a mike brown coached cavs team was leading the cavs to 60+ wins and the best record in the league with mo williams and varejao as sidekicks.http://www.rocketroberts.com/how_and_why/images/how_and_why_chemistry.jpg

d_c
03-08-2011, 08:18 PM
If Rick Adelman were available and willing to come here, it would be a really terrible decision not to hire him. He was a good coach in Sacramento and has done a fantastic job with some mediocre talent in Houston.

Yeah, I remember every fan in Sacramento wanted him gone. Said they'd never win a championship with Adelman at the helm. And then Eric Musselman, Reggie Theus and Paul Westphal went on to show them exactly how good Adelman really was.

EDIT: Looks like McMillan signed an extension with Portland. I think his family being settled in the Pacific Northwest for so long was a factor.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6194292

hoosierguy
03-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Mike Brown or Rick Adelman. Two PROVEN head coaches who have track records of SUCCESS.

Mike Brown is absolutely not a retread unlike O'Brien. His last season on the bench saw his team win 61 games!!

Hopefully our new GM Kevin Pritchard make the wise choice.

Sandman21
03-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Good luck to the coach that has to deal with high school girls. :laugh:
Hmm.... Coach Benge out at Ben Davis DID coach his team to 81 straight victories..........:D

Hicks
03-09-2011, 12:13 AM
Hmm. The Rifleman would be an interesting possibility.

He would be, but I'd rather go with the more proven Mike Brown.

croz24
03-09-2011, 12:15 AM
26% in favor of vogel? seriously???

pacer4ever
03-09-2011, 12:18 AM
Hmm.... Coach Benge out at Ben Davis DID coach his team to 81 straight victories..........:D

and they lost this year in the playoffs lol

But thoes girls end up going to big name programs sookie and im sure tey show there ego