PDA

View Full Version : NBA fines teams for disclosing terms of trades prior to completion

Professor S
03-04-2011, 08:18 AM
Per Mark Spears' Twitter (SpearsNBAYahoo)

"NBA fined three undisclosed teams today for publicly disclosing the terms of trades prior to their completion, a league memo said."

Any chance one of these three teams is the Pacers for the McRoberts/Mayo situation? I hope not considering it sounds like Memphis was the organization that dropped the ball as far as reporting it prior to completion.

bellisimo
03-04-2011, 08:32 AM
you answered your own question i think...LB and Morway are not the type to leak out details of trades...they're going with the Walsh approach of blinding you from the left

Major Cold
03-04-2011, 08:40 AM
you answered your own question i think...LB and Morway are not the type to leak out details of trades...they're going with the Walsh approach of blinding you from the left

Peter Vescey was the mouth piece of Walsh on a couple of occasions.

Professor S
03-04-2011, 08:42 AM

Agreed. Just wondering who the other two would be if Memphis was one of them.

And if this is the case why were we not fined last year for the failed Bobcat trade that had TJ Ford dancing outside the team plane?

Will Galen
03-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Per Mark Spears' Twitter (SpearsNBAYahoo)

"NBA fined three undisclosed teams today for publicly disclosing the terms of trades prior to their completion, a league memo said."

Any chance one of these three teams is the Pacers for the McRoberts/Mayo situation? I hope not considering it sounds like Memphis was the organization that dropped the ball as far as reporting it prior to completion.

The Pacers didn't complete a trade.

Strummer
03-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Agreed. Just wondering who the other two would be if Memphis was one of them.

And if this is the case why were we not fined last year for the failed Bobcat trade that had TJ Ford dancing outside the team plane?

The Nets owner definitely talked about the Carmelo trade publicly. I don't remember what details he gave.

TJ was dancing because the agents/players had been notified, not because he heard about it in the press. Teams are allowed to let the players know what is going on if they want to.

BillS
03-04-2011, 11:00 AM
If the Pacers are one of those teams I hope someone in the league office gets raked over the coals at the next owners' meeting.

Though I wouldn't put it past the NBA, as I continue to get this feeling that Stern has a weekly appointment in Outlook "Figure out how to mess with the Pacers"...

Eleazar
03-04-2011, 03:17 PM
One of the teams is defiantly the Grizzlies. Being it three teams they fined you do have to wonder if they fined both the Hornets and Pacers also. I hope not, but like BillS said it does seem like Stern does everything he can to screw over the Pacers.

Merz
03-04-2011, 03:43 PM
One of the teams is defiantly the Grizzlies. Being it three teams they fined you do have to wonder if they fined both the Hornets and Pacers also. I hope not, but like BillS said it does seem like Stern does everything he can to screw over the Pacers.

Who would pay the fine for the Hornets?

imbtyler
03-04-2011, 03:51 PM
If this is referencing the failed Indy-Memphis-NO trade, I guarantee that if any other two or three teams had called in to secure a trade at 3:01 (after the deadline), it would have been confirmed, verified and announced that it happened "just in time."

I hate Stern.

Heisenberg
03-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Who would pay the fine for the Hornets?All the other owners pay 1/30th? Maybe Herb Simon and Michael Heisley would be excluded?

Technically all the other owners own an equal share of the franchise right?

naptownmenace
03-04-2011, 04:17 PM
I don't think this involves the Pacers.

It's probably NY, NJ, and Memphis. Dolan and Prokorov were quoted as making comments about trying to get Carmelo Anthony, and Heinsley made a couple of direct quotes to the media about trading OJ Mayo and why he made the trade. He then made the mistake of blaming it all on the Pacers through the newspapers.