PDA

View Full Version : "Lost" is a very good show

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Unclebuck
09-22-2004, 10:22 PM
Not sure if anyone else watched the new ABC show "Lost" tonight. But is was very good and I will watch next week for sure.

At this point I'll watch anything that is decent as long as it is not another CSI or Law and Order.

MSA2CF
09-22-2004, 10:24 PM
I watched it, UB. Loved it; reminds me a lot of Castaway and Jurassic Park. :laugh:

It's like a movie. Very suspenseful.

Definitely going to watch next Wednesday.

Kstat
09-22-2004, 10:31 PM
So far so good.

I'm usually very skeptical of these kinds of shows, but I came away impressed.

Unclebuck
09-22-2004, 10:39 PM
Yeh, it did seem like a movie. It seemed like it lasted only about 30 minutes, it just flew by.

I like some of the wierd characters. In fact all the characters seem a little biy off except the two leads.

MSA2CF
09-22-2004, 10:43 PM
The fat guy stole my heart. :cry:

;)

Stryder
09-22-2004, 11:40 PM
I watched Smallville tonight. I love that show.

But, I did tape Lost. And I just watched it.

If they go the route of dinosaur(s), I will puke.

I am hoping they venture into a twilight zone-ish plot.

Maybe, alternate reality or world. Langoliers-esque, for you Stephen King fans.

1,000 miles off course just doesn't happen.

BTW, I think the dog has something to do with the crash. Call me crazy, but they just paid to much attention to the dog throughout the pilot episode.

Gyron
09-23-2004, 08:43 AM
I got to see the last half of the show. It was interesting. I will definitely be trying to catch it next week.

I did watch CSI new york last night, and part of the new law and order. I can't say I was really impressed with either. But the CSI new york was darker type of show than most of the CSI's I have watched. If you are into the sicko serial Killer kind of thing, it might be something you might enjoy. The new guy on Law and Order sucks in that role.

MagicRat
09-23-2004, 05:27 PM
Hopefully Marshall, Will and Holly won't run into any sleestaks.....

SoupIsGood
09-23-2004, 07:44 PM

BTW, I think the dog has something to do with the crash. Call me crazy, but they just paid to much attention to the dog throughout the pilot episode.

What are Langoliers, and was that book any good, I may read it if it is.

I like lost so far, but if they go with dinosaurs I'm out. Most liekly. I don't want to watch Jurassic Park again. Although I do like it seemed like a movie.

I also liked "Listen Up", it's a good show. I like the lead (Costanza!) and the writer (Tony Kornheiser). You can definitly tell Tony wroe the show though, it's a lot like what his life would be. Even a PTI rip-of.

Natston
09-24-2004, 06:34 AM
Man I really wanted to watch it... :cry:

SycamoreKen
09-24-2004, 07:21 AM
I liked Lost as well. I liked the way it started and then flashed back to the crash.

Stryder
09-24-2004, 04:02 PM

What are Langoliers, and was that book any good, I may read it if it is.

Taken from a website decribing the movie:

"A blind girl, a teacher, a machine worker, a musician, a stoner, a mystery writer, a businessman, a mysterious Englishman, and a raving psychopath in a business suit are on a flight to Boston. When the plane passes through a mysterious time warp, they find themselves utterly alone when the rest of the passengers and all of the crew vanish. Diverting the plane to Bangor, Maine, the survivors manage to land, where as they discover that time seems to stand still and that they seem to be the only people left on the planet. To complicate matters, mysterious creatures called Langoliers are in hot pursuit. The Langoliers' job is to erase moments in time that have already passed into history. The survivors still exist because they were asleep when the plane passed through the warp, and they determine that if they can all be asleep once again when the plane returns, they will survive. However, one passenger must remain awake, and doomed to die, to pilot the plane on its return through the warp."

The short story by Stephen King was far better than the movie. It's in the collection of four stories called Four Past Midnight. The collection includes the Secret Window, which was just made into a movie not long ago, starring Johnny Depp.

I hope this series (Lost!) pans out to be some good television.

Kstat
09-29-2004, 08:54 PM
Episode 2 was very, VERY good......

Holy crap.

Stryder
09-29-2004, 10:05 PM
Episode 2 was very good, as KStat said.

I'm liking this show alot.

Just makes you wonder where they actually are?

Hicks
09-29-2004, 10:25 PM
I saw tonight's episode, and it was indeed pretty good. I missed part 1, however.

SycamoreKen
09-29-2004, 11:25 PM
Tonights show was good, as stated above. I looked up and couldn't believe it was over already. I love the way they are filling us in on the characters little by little.

MSA2CF
09-30-2004, 07:49 AM
I missed it! :mad:

I always do this. Once I find a new show I like, I watch perhaps the first few episodes and then forget when it's on! :scream:

Someone want to remind me when it's on? :p

I think it'll be re-run on Saturday, correct?

Unclebuck
09-30-2004, 08:47 AM
Episode 2 was every bit as good as the first episode.

I loved the little twist although I guess it wasn't really a twist, I would cal it a reval on one of the main characters. Very surprising, but extremely interesting.

All the characters are great

tate
09-30-2004, 12:57 PM
I missed it! :mad:

I always do this. Once I find a new show I like, I watch perhaps the first few episodes and then forget when it's on! :scream:

Someone want to remind me when it's on? :p

I think it'll be re-run on Saturday, correct?

Yeah they are gonna show both episodes again on Saturday

ABADays
09-30-2004, 02:28 PM
Saw it for the first time last night - very entertaining.

Kstat
10-06-2004, 11:44 PM
Lost was great tonight, as usual......

The ending was a tad sick..... typically, when you shoot a terminally ill patient, he's supposed to die.......

Stryder
10-07-2004, 12:08 AM
Damnit. I watched Smallville again, but I did tape Lost. I'm going to watch it in a little while.

Will Galen
10-07-2004, 06:15 AM

I would rather see some dinosaurs than the show get to weird to believe.

Already the plot is far fetched with animals knocking down trees. I could see some kind of plant eating dinosaurs doing that. but not meat eaters. Meat eating animals need animals as big as their selves to feed on. Meat eaters would soon exhaust their food source on an island. But of course that fact wouldn't matter to TV.

I looked around the Internet to see if I could find out what the animals are but I couldn't find anything.

I did find one site that advertised spoilers but it was more like TV Guide show descriptions.

Here's the site, WARNING, COULD CONTAIN SPOILERS!

http://primetimetv.about.com/library/blspoilers_lost.htm#SHOW%20DESCRIPTION

Will Galen
10-07-2004, 06:24 AM
Episode List
There is only one show after Nov. 17th, I think that is a bumber, maybe ABC will ask for more episodes.

Jump to season: 1
Episode # Prod # Original
Air Date Episode Title

------------------------------------------------------

Season 1
1. 1-1 100 22-Sep-2004 Pilot (1)
2. 1-2 101 29-Sep-2004 Pilot (2)
3. 1-3 102 06-Oct-2004 Tabula Rasa
4. 1-4 103 13-Oct-2004 Walkabout
5. 1-5 104 20-Oct-2004 White Rabbit
6. 1-6 105 27-Oct-2004 House of the Rising Sun
7. 1-7 106 03-Nov-2004 The Moth
8. 1-8 107 10-Nov-2004 Confidence Man
9. 1-9 108 17-Nov-2004 Solitary
10. 1-10 109 15-Dec-2004 Raised by Another

Here's the Lost homepage.

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/ShowMainServlet/showid-24313/

Will Galen
10-07-2004, 06:27 AM
Here's the Lost homepage.

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/ShowMainServlet/showid-24313/

Stryder
10-07-2004, 07:51 AM

I would rather see some dinosaurs than the show get to weird to believe.

Already the plot is far fetched with animals knocking down trees. I could see some kind of plant eating dinosaurs doing that. but not meat eaters. Meat eating animals need animals as big as their selves to feed on. Meat eaters would soon exhaust their food source on an island. But of course that fact wouldn't matter to TV.

I looked around the Internet to see if I could find out what the animals are but I couldn't find anything.

I did find one site that advertised spoilers but it was more like TV Guide show descriptions.

Here's the site, WARNING, COULD CONTAIN SPOILERS!

http://primetimetv.about.com/library/blspoilers_lost.htm#SHOW%20DESCRIPTION

I think the directors have already said that the "animal" or "monster" on the island is NOT a dinosaur.

Will Galen
10-07-2004, 10:14 AM
I think the directors have already said that the "animal" or "monster" on the island is NOT a dinosaur.

After reading the below article I think a dinosaur is very unlikely.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6184335/

Millions of viewers get ‘Lost’
No phones, no lights, no motor cars, just good ratings

COMMENTARY
By Brian Bellmont
MSNBC contributor
Updated: 2:00 p.m. ET Oct. 5, 2004

Only two weeks into ABC’s new plane-crash-survivors-on-a-tropical-island thriller “Lost” and already the mysteries are flying fast and furious. Are the castaways alone? Is that really a polar bear? And what’s that huge, growling thing in the jungle, flattening trees and sending the island’s new residents scrambling in terror?

Yet the most intriguing mystery is less about the adventure and more about the people watching it unfold: How has “Lost” attracted such a huge audience? Nearly 18 million viewers found the Sept. 22 premiere — making it ABC’s most-watched drama debut in nine years. The ratings for the second installment weren’t as sky-high as the highly hyped premiere, but the still impressive numbers (16.3 million viewers) suggest that the initial spike in viewership was no fluke.

‘Lost’s’ first episode actually added viewers as the show went on, indicating that phones and computers were busy with word-of-mouth suggestions to ‘Turn to ABC. You’ve gotta see this show!’

Scoring big — or, let’s be frank. even respectable — ratings has traditionally been an uphill struggle for a show like “Lost,” the latest offering from J.J. Abrams, creator of “Alias” and “Felicity.” Genre-bending TV — programs that combine several hallmark elements from distinct styles of shows — is more often than not relegated to cult status, pulling in a tiny but enthusiastic audience.

Most cult shows are all but ignored by mainstream America, who’d rather while away the hours with tepid fare like “America’s Next Top Accountant” or “Last Pork Roast Standing.” “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and “Angel,” for instance, were extremely well-crafted horror-comedy-drama-thrillers — and attracted a middling viewership in only the single-digit millions each week.

So what’s “Lost” got that other hyphenated (and now cancelled) shows didn’t? If the number of billboards and bus placards is any indication, it’s got the support of its network behind it. More importantly, it’s got several buzzworthy elements designed to appeal to a large number of people — and get them talking. In fact, “Lost’s” first episode actually added viewers as the show went on, indicating that phones and computers were busy with word-of-mouth suggestions to “Turn to ABC. You’ve gotta see this show!”

Genre-bending thriller
Ostensibly, “Lost” is about 48 plane crash survivors fighting to stay alive on a tropical island, a basic premise which has been done again and again, from “Robinson Crusoe” to “Lord of the Flies” to the exploits of a certain skipper and his little buddy. But it’s already shaking out to be much more than a “Gilligan’s Island” retread. Viewers of the show’s initial hours already know that “Lost” is a competent, high-concept thriller. But it’s also a character-driven drama, a compelling mystery, and maybe even — stay tuned — a sci-fi adventure.

Just when viewers think they’ve got ‘Lost’ figured out, it zigs, then zags, then zigs again. It’s ‘Jurassic Park’ one minute, ‘Gosford Park’ the next.

And that’s the beauty of “Lost.” It’s made up of seemingly dissimilar elements that each appeal to a specific audience. And the sum of its parts is all the more impressive.

It’s tough to be all things to all people. But “Lost” seems to be enough things to enough viewers to draw in plentiful, if disparate, audiences, each looking for something particular out of the show. From cheesecake and beefcake — good-looking people showing plenty of skin in a tropical setting — to harrowing disaster scenes, tense suspense and smart comic relief, “Lost” is delivering the goods. Something about it is familiar enough to attract mainstream viewers. And it’s unique enough to give fans of genre shows plenty to chew on.

Sure, “Gilligan’s Island” employed many of the same basic plot elements. But I’m confident enough in Abrams to know that a group of robots isn’t going to challenge the Harlem Globetrotters to a basketball game anytime soon. But, who knows? Just when viewers think they’ve got “Lost” figured out, it zigs, then zags, then zigs again. It’s “Jurassic Park” one minute, “Gosford Park” the next. If television has taught us anything, it's not to pigeonhole J.J. Abrams.

His “Felicity” started as a girl-moving-to-the-big-city show, and ended as a time-traveling fantasy (seriously). “Alias” is at its core a globetrotting spy procedural. But it's also a science thriller that beats the pants off anything Michael Crichton has come up with recently, as well as an is-it-or-isn't-it-sci-fi-meets-historical-prophecy-techno-jumble that would have “Da Vinci Code” author Dan Brown scratching his head.

So maybe a coconut phone or bamboo jet pack is indeed in “Lost’s” future. With Abrams, you never know. And that’s part of the fun.

Characters to care about
Still, all the rollercoaster plots in the world aren’t going to amount to much if the characters riding them aren’t worth worrying about. While Abrams can craft multifaceted characters, much of the depth can likely be attributed to another co-executive producer on the show, Damon Lindelof, who co-produced the talkier “Crossing Jordan.” Even without the taut suspense and breathless thrills, the characters on “Lost” stand on their own as interesting people, layered with interesting quirks, questionable motivations and, no doubt, plenty of secrets.

If some, or all, of the original bunch of lead castaways are rescued — or picked off by the hungry thing in the woods, there are three dozen other characters hanging out on the beach, just waiting for their time in the spotlight.

And the acting is on par with the slick writing. Matthew Fox (“Party of Five”) delivers a sympathetic-yet-heroic turn as a beleaguered doctor who finds himself in the middle of this nightmare. Newcomer Evangeline Lilly is a likable and levelheaded woman who’s harboring at least one big secret. Former hobbit Dominic Monaghan plays a helpful-yet-shifty musician who was up to something when the plane crashed. And nearly a dozen other characters, many of them familiar TV faces, play roles of varying importance. On the surface, anyway. It’s plainly clear that a bit player now could become integral to the plot as the series continues.

But don’t get too comfortable with these specific castaways. Abrams has killed off major characters before. What’s especially intriguing about “Lost” is that if some, or all, of the original bunch of lead castaways are rescued — or picked off by the hungry thing in the woods, there are three dozen other characters hanging out on the beach, just waiting for their time in the spotlight.

Is this finally a horror-sci-fi-suspense-thriller that Great-Aunt Marge can feel comfortable admitting that she watches? Early returns say yes indeed. Abrams has disregarded the traditional rules of these standard genres, deconstructed them, then reassembled them into something wholly new and appealing.

Of course, we still don't know what's lurking amid the foliage or many of the other surprises the show has yet to unleash. But no matter what the producers have planned, it seems that they’ve already learned how to dress up what have typically been dismissed as nerdish elements in normal-people clothes so they appeal to the masses.

It’s still early in the game, but “Lost” apparently knows exactly where it’s headed.
------------

What I find interesting is, "Abrams has killed off major characters before." So, I'm figuring Kate or Jack is going to die. Right now my money is on Kate, but I reserve the right to hedge my bet.

Stryder
10-14-2004, 12:14 AM
Once again, tonight's episode was excellent.

SPOILERS AHEAD:

DON'T READ BELOW:

WARNING:

John Locke. Hmmm. Tabula rasa?

The ending was very touching and sad, yet happy all at the same time.

SoupIsGood
10-14-2004, 12:28 AM
Tabulsa Rasa?

Mele Kelekimaka!

able
10-14-2004, 07:24 AM
for those who are desparate about missed episodes: contact me.

:D

Natston
10-14-2004, 11:41 AM
for those who are desparate about missed episodes: contact me.

:D

I need all of them... :grumble:

Stryder
11-08-2004, 10:37 AM
This past week's episode was also very good. Glad to see Lost get picked up for the entire season.

WOOHOO!

Will Galen
11-12-2004, 09:54 AM
How 'Lost' Careered Into Being a Hit Show
By JOE RHODES

Published: November 10, 2004

OS ANGELES, Nov. 9 - The speed with which ABC's Wednesday night breakout hit drama "Lost" went from a network executive's half-baked suggestion to one of the most elaborate and expensive pilots ever filmed was brain blurring.

Determined to see his idea into the fall lineup, Lloyd Braun, then head of ABC Entertainment, brought together J. J. Abrams, the producer of the funhouse-mirror spy drama "Alias,'' and Damon Lindelof, a writer for "Crossing Jordan,'' to kick around his idea about plane crash survivors stranded on an island, a notion that he freely admitted was inspired by the reality show "Survivor.'' The result has been a show among the top 10 this season.

"I met Damon for the first time on a Monday," Mr. Abrams remembered. "By that Friday we had written a 20-page outline. And they green-lit the pilot on Saturday. At that point, we didn't even have a script, but in less than 12 weeks we had to start shooting."

That wasn't the hard part. And transporting the wreckage of an L-1011 jetliner to the show's location on Oahu may have been daunting, but doable. But of all the logistical nightmares that deadline represented none were more daunting than finding actors for the unusually large and internationally diverse ensemble cast - as the parts were still being written.

"It was insanity," said the casting director, April Webster, who had worked with Mr. Abrams on "Alias." "The characters kept changing. Every few days they'd call up and say, 'It looks like there's another one.' "

Because there were so many parts to cast - 14 major characters and dozens of background actors whose primary job is to walk around dazed on the beach until their story line comes to the fore - and only a three-week window to cast them, Ms. Webster put out the equivalent of an all-points bulletin. Calls were made to agencies in London, Sydney, New York, Toronto and points between.

"We were looking at tapes from all over,'' she said, and complicating the matter was the need to put together a cast at a time when most network pilots were already shooting. And whoever signed on for "Lost'' had to commit to working and living on Oahu for the duration of the series.

Working off their original 20-page outline, Mr. Abrams and Mr. Lindelof had ideas about the show's vibe - "Gilligan" meets "X Files," strangers on a plane, mysterious island - and who the characters would be: the hero with a secret, the plucky-but-haunted heroine, the stuck-up girl, the affable dude, the menacing rogue. But everything else was still up in the air, even as actors were auditioning.

"We were writing audition scenes because we hadn't had time to finish the actual script," Mr. Abrams said.

But as actors came in to audition, something fascinating happened, he recalled. "They would inspire us to take characters in a direction that we wouldn't have come up with on our own," he said.

The result was a radical reimagining of some of the original characters. Charlie, the burned-out English rocker played by Dominic Monaghan, was originally envisioned as a middle-aged businessman with a drug problem. Sawyer, the troublesome American played by Josh Holloway, was going to be a New Zealander. And Jack, the heroic (so far) spinal surgeon played by Matthew Fox, was going to be much older. And since he was also meant to die in the first episode, a one-shot appearance, high-priced movie stars like Michael Keaton and Aaron Eckhardt were being considered for the part.

Some well-known actors not usually associated with prime-time television, Ms. Webster said, were attracted by Mr. Abrams's reputation and intrigued by the nontraditional premise, which is how they managed to get Mr. Monaghan, a hot property after playing Merry Brandybuck in the "Lord of the Rings" films; Naveen Andrews, best known for his performance as Lt. Kip Singh in "The English Patient"; and Harold Perrineau, coming off his appearance as Link in "The Matrix" trilogy and critical raves for his stage performance in "Top Dog/Underdog."

The cast also includes Terry O'Quinn, a frequent "Alias" guest star, as the philosopher-hunter Locke, and Jorge Garcia, whom Mr. Abrams and Ms. Webster happened to see on an episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" the night before his audition, as the imperturbably mellow Hurley. For the executives of the show, the most intriguing breakout star may turn out to be Yunjin Kim, who grew up on Staten Island and attended the High School of Performing Arts in Manhattan but then returned to her South Korean homeland to become a major Asian cinema star.

Ms. Kim originally auditioned for the part of Kate, the female lead, but Mr. Abrams decided immediately he wanted to write another part just for her. "We had thought about having a couple that didn't speak English before she came in," Mr. Abrams said, "but when she came in, we knew we had to have her on the show. And we started coming up with a story for this woman and then her husband."

"I walked in and, obviously, I speak Korean, and the next day they said they were going to write a role for me," said Ms. Kim, who plays Sun, a seemingly timid woman who planned to leave her husband on the day they boarded the ill-fated plane. "I was, like, 'Hey, I don't even need to read a script.' The fact that they would be so open and excited about me, that was a huge compliment."

The most difficult role to cast, in fact, turned out to be Kate. "We had master lists on the Kate character that were 12 to 13 pages long," Ms. Webster said, "which translates to more than 200 actresses who we least checked on their availability."

"We had seen some incredible actresses," said Bryan Burk, who shares the executive producer credit with Mr. Abrams and Mr. Lindelof. "'But J. J. kept saying, 'You're gonna know when she comes in, you're gonna know.' Which I thought was just his craziness. But then she came in. And we knew."

"She" was Evangeline Lilly, a virtually unknown Canadian actress who got the part, on a last-minute audition tape, almost out of nowhere.

Mr. Abrams seemed particularly pleased that the cast is not all perfect cheekbones and "Baywatch" bodies, although there are certainly plenty of those. "The show is about an international flight that crashes somewhere in the Pacific," he said, "so the cast is going to look more like the world looks and less like 'Beverly Hills 90210.' "

Not that they're done with the casting, even now. There are flashback episodes that have to be populated, and most of the 46 characters who survived the crash haven't been seen. The longer "Lost" stays on the air - and with an average of 18 million viewers per episode so far, it will undoubtedly be around for a while - the more likely it is that new faces will appear.

In other words, Mr. Abrams said, there's plenty of room to develop more characters without a need for outrageous plot turns. There's no need, for instance, to have another plane crash.

"No," he said, laughing. "Although I wouldn't rule that out."

Kegboy
11-19-2004, 12:54 AM
Okay, anybody got any theories about what Delenn was talking about last night?

- She apparently killed everyone, perhaps starting with Robert.
- The others were "sick", and "imagine what would have happened if they were rescued." ???
- Lots of juxtaposition between her fellow castaways and "them", i.e. people she's never seen but heard whispering, which of course, Sayid heard at the end.
- Lastly, just where is Alex? :o

The whole thing left me thoroughly confused. Guess I should have realized that finding the French woman would just lead to more questions.

Btw, loved the "there is no such thing as monsters" line. I kept waiting for her to say, "...only Shadows."

Yep, I'm a geek, sue me. :tongue:
---
Asked afterward if O'Neal's absence contributed to Charlotte's win, Knight bristled.

"What about Primoz? They didn't have Shaq, but we didn't have Primoz," he said.

Dab
12-02-2004, 07:23 PM
Wow, add a creepy psychic to the blend, courtesy of Claire's flashback.

I think her baby is the AntiChrist.

Is "Ethan" Alex?

Kegboy
12-02-2004, 08:38 PM
Is "Ethan" Alex?
That's a good question.

My first thought was "No, he's too old," since French Woman's been on the island for 16 years. But then, it was pointed out that, her kid could have been on the ship with them, and hence be older.

Something else to consider. I went back and checked the previous episode, and she says, "Alex was my child." Note, she didn't say "son". I wouldn't be surprised if Alex was a girl, short for Alexis or similar.

I'm just glad that everyone else on the manifest checked out, so they won't be pulling this on us again. Unless, of course, there was someone else like the psychic who knew what was gonna happen.

Okay, that's enough. Thinking about this makes my head hurt. :(

Dab
12-02-2004, 09:05 PM
Something else to consider. I went back and checked the previous episode, and she says, "Alex was my child." Note, she didn't say "son". I wouldn't be surprised if Alex was a girl, short for Alexis or similar.

Good point!

SoupIsGood
12-02-2004, 11:18 PM
The man not on the manifest is Bredan, or Brandon (i think). Someone by this name is mentioned in the actual translation of the french lady as killing everyone, and taking the keys to something.

Bratty girl can't translate worth a darn.

Stryder
09-21-2005, 11:05 PM
Very good opening to Episode One, Season Two.

Gonna be a great season.

travmil
09-21-2005, 11:13 PM
Just finished watching it. Excellent.

Gyron
09-22-2005, 08:31 AM
Yep, Still hooked. Great start to another year:)

Not to bad for a show that didn't know when they started last year of they would even get a whole season to prove themselves.

Skaut_Ech
09-28-2005, 11:04 PM
Really? I missed that.

Hicks
09-28-2005, 11:11 PM
I saw it too.

MagicRat
09-28-2005, 11:13 PM
Good eye. I just went back and watched it on the TiVo.

It looks like it's the logo on Desmond's jumpsuit and on all the food in the hatch.........

Stryder
09-28-2005, 11:16 PM
I swear I saw it. Hopefully someone else did, or I'm taking that Rotini back for having some sort of fungul growth.

It is there on the shark. I just watched that scene frame by frame on my DVR. Clear as day.

Stryder
09-28-2005, 11:17 PM
Right. They seemed really focused on making us notice that.

The name I thought I made out on the logo is DHARMA.

Skaut_Ech
09-28-2005, 11:28 PM
dharma (där'mə) . In Hinduism (http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=14gq2rtfd0h2s?method=4&dsid=2040&dekey=Hinduism&gwp=8&curtab=2040_1&sbid=lc05a), dharma is the doctrine of the religious and moral rights and duties of each individual; it generally refers to religious duty, but may also mean social order, right conduct, or simply virtue. Sacred law is the codification of dharma, and Hinduism itself is also called Sanatana Dharma [the eternal dharma]. In Buddhism (http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=14gq2rtfd0h2s?method=4&dsid=2040&dekey=Buddhism&gwp=8&curtab=2040_1&sbid=lc05a), dharma has two distinct meanings: it refers to religious truth, namely Buddhist teaching as the highest truth; it is also used as a technical term to denote a constituent element of experience, or any existing thing or phenomenon.

Dharma is a sanskrit word and a concept of eastern religions (http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=14gq2rtfd0h2s?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=List+of+religions&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc05a). Simply explained, it is the way of the higher Truths, a lifestyle that leads to minimum accumulation of karma (http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=14gq2rtfd0h2s?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Karma&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc05a) and is therefore the fastest path to personal liberation (http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=14gq2rtfd0h2s?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Liberation&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc05a).

Hmmm..I just started watching, so I am WAAAY behind the curve on things, but what an appropriate name. This aspect "doctrine of the religious and moral rights and duties of each individual; it generally refers to religious duty, but may also mean social order, right conduct, or simply virtue" really caught my eye.

Nice little reference to how the lost survivors relate to each other through moral rights and duties?

Like I said, I am very new to Lost, but my I wonder if the guy in the bunker is involved with some type of research that has to do with higher truth in genetics, but somehow the experiment went way wrong and there was a quarrentine for anyone who isn't down in the hatch.

I know there was some kind of mysterious creature, which I assume hasn't been seen yet, but now it makes me think the aninals might be linked.

Just thinking out loud. I'm trying to get ahold of season one so I can catch up.

Kegboy
09-29-2005, 12:42 AM
Hmm, completely missed the fin. Between that and the numbers on the medicine, I feel like a complete idiot. :blush:

SoupIsGood
09-29-2005, 12:45 AM
I thought something was odd about the fin.

I didn't liek the episode either.

travmil
09-29-2005, 01:07 AM
Here's what Lost should have done. They should have had a 2 hour season premier instead of two different shows to start the season that ended at the exact same juncture. We know the exact same things about the man in the hatch as we did last week.

Gyron
09-29-2005, 08:25 AM
Well, I agree, I was frsutrated that we are at the same point as last week other than the fact that we saw "others" that didn't quite seem to be right. Possibly with the "sickness"?

I also wonder if the people we saw at the end last night weren't the survivors from the back half of the plane that broke off........I think it might be based upon the preview they showed from last week.

Oh, and my wife saw the logo on the fin too.

I beginning to think the island was a research island that went terribly wrong. It appears to be set-up that way. Maybe that the research was placed there and started there, but the island and its special effects had a adverse reaction on the research causing the "sickness" and causing everything to go really wrong...

Ragnar
09-29-2005, 08:53 AM
I was pretty ticked off with last nights episode. I think they should move each episode forward. I understand you will have flashbacks but this entire episode was basically a flashback.

I agree this should have been a two hour premier.

MagicRat
09-29-2005, 09:08 AM
I was pretty ticked off with last nights episode. I think they should move each episode forward. I understand you will have flashbacks but this entire episode was basically a flashback.

I agree this should have been a two hour premier.

Yeah, and the real flashback was kind of a waste in my opinion, too. I think we already knew that Michael likes his son........:whoknows:

Kegboy
09-29-2005, 10:52 AM
Yeah, and the real flashback was kind of a waste in my opinion, too. I think we already knew that Michael likes his son........:whoknows:

Exactly. It was just a rerun of his first flashback. And at least in that one we got to see him hit by a car. :cool:

Doug
10-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Finally watched last weeks show. Agreed it so-so.

I missed the logo on the shark fin, but did stop the tape several times when Kate was crawling through the air duct. :-)

possible spoiler below:

Does anyone remember the episode when the bear attacked Michael's son and Locke and Michael had to help save him? Was the logo on the bear? It could help explain what a bear was doing in the south pacific.

Gyron
10-05-2005, 01:51 PM
No kidding. Great scene.

My wife caught me oogling that scene and laughed. She said "Damn Kate showing some boobilidge! And yes I caught you looking quite intensly...":laugh:

ON tonights episode, we are supposed to learn who Desmond is, and maybe what the tunnel is and why he is there....

Next weeks is supposed to be a Hurley episode with a lot of laughs. I read that in an interview with one of the show's produers or something earlier today.

Skaut_Ech
10-05-2005, 03:20 PM
I just sartted watching Lost. I gotta say, if they jerk you around like last episode, I may have to rethink watching. My main reasontrying it is that I don't have any "must see" shows this season, so I figured, what the hell, it gets great press..... I should quite watching Alias a year ago. Same goes for West Wing. Only reason I watch them is cause my wife does.

Lost better move the plot forward this week.

And where did Evangeline Lilly come from. He's quite, er, comely.....

MagicRat
10-05-2005, 11:30 PM
And where did Evangeline Lilly come from.

Canada.............

travmil
10-05-2005, 11:43 PM
Any thoughts on tonights show? I mean other than for being a supposed "tough guy", Sawyer gets punked more than anyone I've ever seen.

Gyron
10-06-2005, 08:34 AM
Possible spoilers ahead if you haven't seen it, or didn't see the preview for next week.

I had a feeling that was coming with the gun. Sawyer was flashing the gun around way too much and she was asking way too many questions.

And I'm a little confused how Sayid could fix that computer in under 2 minutes. When it flashes 4 minutes he still hasn't started. By the time its 2 minutes, Jacks there and they are typing in the numbers. That was a little hokey. I'm also not sure how the clock keeps working without the computer being on if its dependant on the computer to keep resetting it.

But overall, they at least advanced the story last night.

I'm no science major, but an if an EMP goes off, but if I remember right, it isn't really going to affect humans other than wipe out anything electronic within a certain distance. Why was Desmond so scared of an EMP? Unless the EMP would set-off a chain reaction of things on the island dependant on electronic to keep it in check.

A few questions answered tonight, but a lot more raised.

And based ont he preview for next week, I don't like the fact that it looks like they are gonna make hurely look bad for raiding the food storage. Why wouldn't they bring everyone back to the tunnels at this point too?

And it also appears the "other" survivors are headed towards the survivors we know....

I have to say however, I'm still hooked.

And as for Invasion, I got bored 20 minutes in this time and went on to bed. The story line from Surface if any of you have watched any of it and the story line from invasion have way too many similarities too....

Doug
10-06-2005, 09:22 AM
And I'm a little confused how Sayid could fix that computer in under 2 minutes. When it flashes 4 minutes he still hasn't started. By the time its 2 minutes, Jacks there and they are typing in the numbers. That was a little hokey. I'm also not sure how the clock keeps working without the computer being on if its dependant on the computer to keep resetting it.

Well, Desmond "fixed" the card/motherboard, but didn't reseat it/them properly - hence the short. I blew the power supply on my Apple II that way, so I guess it could happen to theirs. :-)

Whatever drives the clock is receives a signal from the Apple II. It's not driven by the Apple II.

How's that for rationalization.

Gyron
10-06-2005, 10:20 AM
You make sound arguments Doug:)

I had never worked on an Apple II so I wasn't sure about that part.

Doug
10-06-2005, 10:35 AM
You make sound arguments Doug:)

I had never worked on an Apple II so I wasn't sure about that part.

My first computer. I've still got it in the attic. It still worked last time I tried it a couple of years ago.

Kegboy
10-06-2005, 02:17 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why they didn't write a BASIC script to input the numbers automatically. :loser2:

Gyron
10-06-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why they didn't write a BASIC script to input the numbers automatically. :loser2:

Maybe its like Jack Said, it was an experiment that no one ever came back to see how long the pair would do it with out fail.....

DisplacedKnick
10-06-2005, 03:43 PM
And as for Invasion, I got bored 20 minutes in this time and went on to bed. The story line from Surface if any of you have watched any of it and the story line from invasion have way too many similarities too....

Out of the three ET shows, I like Threshold best, easily.

As for Lost, I'm a bit disappointed at how little they're advancing the story each week. While last year each episode was as much about character development as anything (Locke some last night - but shouldn't he have been able to be shot in one episode?) they still resolved something each week.

This year it's more, "We'll creep along just a little and end with a cliffhanger."

By episode 26 we just might discover they have flushable toilets in Dharma and that the "others" are all people who bailed on the French chick when she went whacko and stole all their guns. Oh - and Walt's Mom didn't really die if cancer - she ran away so she could kidnap her son on a deserted island.

The pace has slowed - badly.

Kegboy
10-06-2005, 04:22 PM
The pace has slowed - badly.

I agree. Last night was alright, but the previous episode was unforgivable. And from what I've read of spoilers, it's gonna continue going very slowly.

Last season each ep was ~2 days. Last night was ~90 minutes. :-o

DisplacedKnick
10-06-2005, 04:31 PM
I agree. Last night was alright, but the previous episode was unforgivable. And from what I've read of spoilers, it's gonna continue going very slowly.

Last season each ep was ~2 days. Last night was ~90 minutes. :-o

Yeah - from the preview of next week I think we can get a fair view of the entire episode:

"Hurley is hungry and eats."

It takes a while to knock me off a show I watch regularly - I only have 4. But I quit reading Jordan's Wheel of Time series after about the 7th book (the first 3 were fine - then we spent 800 pages moving 100 miles through the desert) and I can quit watching this too eventually.

Doug
10-06-2005, 04:32 PM
Maybe its like Jack Said, it was an experiment that no one ever came back to see how long the pair would do it with out fail.....

They did mention BF Skinner in the company movie, didn't they?

It’s a matter of instinct, it’s a matter of conditioning,
It’s a matter of fact.
You can call me Pavlov’s dog.

MagicRat
10-06-2005, 04:33 PM
Sounds like we need to petition someone to change the thread title to ""Lost" is OK........."

Unclebuck
10-06-2005, 05:29 PM
I'm about 25 shows behind. But I just bought season 1 DVD. When will I ever have time to watch all of that.

indytoad
10-06-2005, 07:11 PM
But I quit reading Jordan's Wheel of Time series after about the 7th book (the first 3 were fine - then we spent 800 pages moving 100 miles through the desert) and I can quit watching this too eventually.

Arg, no freaking kidding. WoT started out so well, me and my friends used to love it. Now we're just disgusted with it.

As for Lost, it'll probably take me a little longer to get tired of it. I can put up with a slow-paced show for a while.

IndyToad
I brought 'em, by gosh

Stryder
10-06-2005, 08:21 PM
People, just because an episode or two has been bad (OK in my eyes), it doesn't mean you should write the entire damned series off...

Fairweather fans! Geeze!

Hehe.

MagicRat
10-06-2005, 08:59 PM
People, just because an episode or two has been bad (OK in my eyes), it doesn't mean you should write the entire damned series off...

Fairweather fans! Geeze!

Hehe.

I'm not writing it off. I'm just ready for them to get back into the jungle......

DisplacedKnick
10-13-2005, 11:14 AM
I take it from the total lack of reaction that everyone else thought the episode last night was as bad as I thought it was?

Well, in some ways the pace was better - at least regarding Hurley.

But overall, nothing's any closer to being resolved that I can see.

People crawling around in the basement, people climbing out of a hole in the ground - uh, OK.

I think something has to happen at some point doesn't it?

obnoxiousmodesty
10-13-2005, 11:16 AM
I thought last night's episode was okay, certainly not great. It was just a filler episode.

Stryder
10-13-2005, 11:41 AM
I think something has to happen at some point doesn't it?

No.

MagicRat
10-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Come on. You know you all shed a tear when Rose pocketed that candy bar at the end..............

DisplacedKnick
10-13-2005, 12:44 PM
I was very disappointed when we found Kate in the shower and she already had her towel on.

From the moment Rose gave her shampoo I was just waiting for that scene - and we saw NOTHING.

I feel cheated.

Skaut_Ech
10-14-2005, 09:42 AM
I was very disappointed when we found Kate in the shower and she already had her towel on.

From the moment Rose gave her shampoo I was just waiting for that scene - and we saw NOTHING.

I feel cheated.

You?? I already had a box of kleenex at the ready. uh, too much information?

Come on. You know you all shed a tear when Rose pocketed that candy bar at the end..............

I honestly was really touched by the ending.

Gyron
10-14-2005, 10:07 AM
The first half of the show I thought was pretty boring, the second half was better. The ending with Rose putting the candy bar in her pocket was a very nice touch.

Kegboy
10-16-2005, 06:21 PM
Personally, I enjoyed it. My only disappointment was I'd read that the show was going to flashback to why Hurley was institutionalized. I must say, the flashbacks this year aren't really giving us much, besides Desmond, of course.

Ragnar
10-20-2005, 11:45 AM
I am guessing that he was the French womans son

Gyron
10-20-2005, 12:30 PM
I was thinking, And I may be wrong, that the teddy bear was Walt's at one time. I might be wrong though.....I thought I remembered seeing it in another episode, but damned if I can remember when.

Gyron
10-20-2005, 12:32 PM
By the way, if you have I-tunes. You can buy each episode of Lost for $1.99 each.

The latest one they have posted is the one from last week "everyone hates hugo".

Also someone else pointed something else out to me. Did anyone notice that Hurley's boss in the chicken joint was also Locke's boss at the box factory?

indytoad
10-20-2005, 02:45 PM
Anyone messed around with the websites? While they seem to be season 2 previews more than anything, I'm hoping it means they'll do more ARG-type stuff in the future.

Try this one (http://www.thehansofoundation.org/) or this one. (http://www.oceanic-air.com/)

IndyToad
Attacking polar bears

Stryder
10-20-2005, 03:08 PM
Anyone messed around with the websites? While they seem to be season 2 previews more than anything, I'm hoping it means they'll do more ARG-type stuff in the future.

Try this one (http://www.thehansofoundation.org/) or this one. (http://www.oceanic-air.com/)

IndyToad
Attacking polar bears

The Hanso site is cool.

Did you look under the active projects? Haha. The Hanso Juxtapositional Eugenics Development Institute...JEDI... :D

indytoad
10-21-2005, 01:30 AM
Anyone have any insights from last night's episode? I can't really think of anything new.

I think there might be more than I thought at first. We have the first actual confirmed Others sighting, and the way they were presented makes me wonder if the boat crew were Others too, or if they're just Dharma people like Desmond. The most recent collection of Others seemed a lot more primitive - dirty, no shoes, killing people with sticks - too feral to be handing boats and guns. They also walked kinda funny.

Plus, Mr. Eko is, like, the coolest character ever.

IndyToad
Can you tell me how old you are?

MagicRat
11-30-2005, 11:07 PM
Dad?

Stryder
11-30-2005, 11:13 PM
I enjoyed tonight's episode.

Gyron
11-30-2005, 11:27 PM
Damn, I thought that was a really good episode.

We finally got at least some movement forward in the story line and answered the question as to what Kate did....

Oh, and lots of new clues tonight.....wow

Stryder
11-30-2005, 11:35 PM
Damn, I thought that was a really good episode.

We finally got at least some movement forward in the story line and answered the question as to what Kate did....

Oh, and lots of new clues tonight.....wow

SPOILERS AHEAD!

Do you think the person on the other end of the computer is one of the Others? Or is it really Walt?

The missing part of the film really stressed NOT to use the computer for anything else, especially trying to contact the outside world...it stressed it WAY TOO much...kind of fishy...

Could it be Desmond? Where is he? I seriously doubt he got off of the island.

Spicoli
11-30-2005, 11:45 PM
Certainly better than tonight's Pacers game

drewdawg
12-02-2005, 03:28 PM
The real computer chat. :-p

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/avond/lost.jpg

Kegboy
12-02-2005, 05:36 PM
Personally, I don't think its Walt. Does anybody really believe a 10-year old would touch a computer that old? The Others probably showed it to him, and he died laughing.

Kegboy
12-14-2005, 03:53 PM
Aaaah! 6 week hiatus!

Could be worse, like BSG or Prison Break.

indytoad
12-14-2005, 11:00 PM
This is why I like watching the episodes after the season is over.

IndyToad
Fight as a Jedi

Natston
12-18-2005, 09:05 PM
I finally caught up... :woohoo:

Natston
12-18-2005, 09:18 PM
Okay, question about last night (10/19).

Was there some significance to the teddy bear the kid was dragging in the first season?

It belonged to one of the kids from the tail section.

Doug
01-12-2006, 11:26 PM
Bump.

Lost comes back after a long break and there's nary a post in the thread.

Taped it yesterday, just watched it.

I thought it was a pretty good one tonight.

Kegboy
01-13-2006, 12:17 AM
There was some discussion in Btown's psycho mumbo jumbo thread.

It was alright. I can't wait for that "circle of fire" next week. Plus, it's a Jack ep, so we'll get to see Carol Vecsey again. :woohoo:

indytoad
01-13-2006, 02:27 AM
Indeed, was quite a good episode, and not just because it focused on my new favorite character. Was nice to see the entire monster - or at least one form of it - even though it ended up leaving more questions than it answered. Also nice to see part of the the drug plane mystery solved - or clarified, anyway - although the biggest question of how it got there still remains.

The most important part of the episode in the grand scheme of things will probably end up being Michael's conversation with Walt, which was kind of suspicious...

Glad to see the show's back.

IndyToad
On Haiti

Doug
01-13-2006, 01:52 PM
I stayed out of the other thread as I don't really want to know the spoilers...

So, is the black smoke thing "the island" or a creature that lives on it?

Up until this point, I was kind of thinking that the island wasn't really evil. More of a "hard lessons" type place, forcing people to face what they needed to face to get closure.

But the standoff between Mr. Ekko (sp?) and the "creature" seemed more live a good vs. evil thing. Where it had no power over him because he wasn't afraid. A vampire verse a cross type of thing.

And just how off-course was this flight? They were going from Sydney to LA, right? How does a twin-engine plane from Nigeria end up in the South Pacific?

DisplacedKnick
01-13-2006, 03:06 PM
I stayed out of the other thread as I don't really want to know the spoilers...

So, is the black smoke thing "the island" or a creature that lives on it?

Up until this point, I was kind of thinking that the island wasn't really evil. More of a "hard lessons" type place, forcing people to face what they needed to face to get closure.

But the standoff between Mr. Ekko (sp?) and the "creature" seemed more live a good vs. evil thing. Where it had no power over him because he wasn't afraid. A vampire verse a cross type of thing.

And just how off-course was this flight? They were going from Sydney to LA, right? How does a twin-engine plane from Nigeria end up in the South Pacific?

LOL- I hadn't even thought about that one.

As for Echo - they've really worked on scrambling things. I keep waiting for one of the characters to become "possessed" - do something, somehow to really screw things up.

Could be echo - my thoughts with the cloud was that it recognized a kindred spirit. Charlie right now is really a good candidate (just like Locke was at the end of last season). I thought it might be Sayid after brainless was shot but that doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

But trust me - someone's gonna NOT push that button. Maybe not this season, but someday (probably when the ratings drop and we find that by not pushing the button an emergency beacon is sent to the coast guard telling them where they are and that they need rescuing.)

Stryder
01-13-2006, 03:19 PM
My guess on how Season 2 ends (it's been my thought for a while):

They don't push the button. The clock hits 0. Fade to black. Promo for Season 3.

Not pushing a button is too lame of a concept to try to carry over more than 1 season. Good way to get people waiting for Season 3 too, much like opening the hatch but not showing what's inside did for Season 2.

That is exactly how I see season 2 ending...definite cliffhanger...

Kegboy
01-13-2006, 03:36 PM
I agree.

Natston
01-13-2006, 05:31 PM
Maybe the Others will interfere with the button pushing somehow? :shrug:

indytoad
01-18-2006, 11:04 PM
Pretty good episode, even though it was yet another boring Jack episode and the seabillie scene answered absolutely no questions. Very interesting ending. And anyone else notice that one of the seabillie's crew was named Alex?

IndyToad
A manwich

Pig Nash
01-18-2006, 11:07 PM
Also, is Zeke just a pet name or is that seabillie's real name?

indytoad
01-19-2006, 12:09 AM
Also, is Zeke just a pet name or is that seabillie's real name?

Ah, c'mon, when does Sawyer ever call anyone by their real name?

On that subject, I particularly enjoyed "Mr. Clean." That's his best one yet.

IndyToad
Look at the racoons

Kegboy
01-19-2006, 12:48 AM
No, I didn't catch the Alex part. :kicksself:

My fear is this "army" will take the show into Buffy season 7 territory. That's not good. Though, it could certainly create an interesting dynamic for Sayid and Ana.

Pig Nash
01-19-2006, 01:13 AM
Hey, I liked Buffy Season 7. I am a Joss fanboy though. So I cannot be trusted.

Kegboy
01-20-2006, 04:28 PM
Hey, I liked Buffy Season 7.

Oh, it was fine after Captain Tightpants came on board. Before that was a bit dicey though, IMHO.

Pig Nash
01-20-2006, 10:16 PM
I only have one problem with Mal on Buffy. Why didn't he poke both of Xander's eyes out, it would have been easier because he would have had more leverage. :eyepokeymotion:

Kegboy
01-21-2006, 12:35 AM
I only have one problem with Mal on Buffy. Why didn't he poke both of Xander's eyes out, it would have been easier because he would have had more leverage. :eyepokeymotion:

Good point. But then, none of the Nick Fury jokes would have worked.

indytoad
01-25-2006, 11:48 PM
It's Lost day! Hoorah!

A pretty good episode, I thought. Charlie is becoming an interesting character - have to feel bad for him though. He seems to have good intentions but that doesn't seem to help much. Now he's probably going to be ostracized by the rest of the gang.

Isn't Hurley just adorable? I wonder if there was anything to his "Do I know you?" comment. Libby's a psychologist, right? And Hurley was in a mental institution... He also said "tailies," which was fantastic.

Most interesting, however, have been the increasingly strange actions of some of the characters. First Michael steals some guns and runs off, then Charlie starts seeing visions and being kookier than usual, and finally Locke has just been...kinda menacing, lately. One thing someone mentioned on a forum a couple weeks ago that I thought was interesting - Russeau said that her crew lasting for two months before they started to succomb to the sickness. Well that's almost how long our intrepid heroes have been on the island... Perhaps this is the beginning of some peoples' descent into...whatever the sickness is.

Should be interesting...

IndyToad
Out of the way

Pig Nash
01-25-2006, 11:54 PM
Good episode. i really liked it

Kegboy
01-26-2006, 12:38 AM
Sorry, I didn't care for it at all. I don't expect every show to greatly advance the plot, but at the end of the day, what happened? Charlie burned down Eko's trees? What did we learn about Charlie? His brother ****ed him over, we already knew that. Yes, I get the French woman 2 month connection, but, really, there's enough they have to deal with without everyone going bonkers, too.

btowncolt
01-26-2006, 09:37 AM
It was a good episode IF it in fact set-up the behavior and plans of a few of the main characters.

However, for 39 minutes of air time last night, it was pretty much the definition of terrible.

Gyron
01-26-2006, 09:56 AM
I still believe that libby is one of the others, and she is working very hard to convince Hurley that he doesn't remember her from the mental hospital.

I forsee a flash back for hurley coming..... Other than that you are right, the episode didn't make much progress last night.

By the way, in the news this morning is that Charlie and Kate are possibly engaged in real life now......I don't normally read those celeb reports, but I saw something about lost and clicked on it and it was a freaking celeb report on their possible engagement, nothing about the show other than it did mention all the stars got raises for next year and the actor that plays Jack got a $250,000 bonus for something or another....

btowncolt
01-26-2006, 10:02 AM
I hope everyone else picked up on this, but it's fairly evident that Hurley didn't step on Libby's foot.

She was supposedly in the tail section of the plane. Hurley got on after everyone else. He ran in and sat down in the middle of the plane.

Gyron
01-26-2006, 12:41 PM
I read someone's theory this morning that Libby may not have been one of the doctors in the mental hospital, but possibly one of the patients......Who knows. But I do think he remembers her from the mental hospital, either as a doctor or as a fellow patient.

Kat
01-26-2006, 12:59 PM
I read someone's theory this morning that Libby may not have been one of the doctors in the mental hospital, but possibly one of the patients......Who knows. But I do think he remembers her from the mental hospital, either as a doctor or as a fellow patient.

I could totally buy her as one of the patients! After all, there's no reason for her to lie about Hurley stepping on her foot, if that is the case. It seems so random.

btowncolt
01-26-2006, 01:17 PM
Screencaps from the tail section crash confirm that she was on the plane.

She's obviously lying to Hurley to try to build a connection. Maybe she was on the plane because of him.

I bet she wants his sexy body.

Oh, and they can let her change into purple dresses in any episode they want to do so.

DisplacedKnick
01-26-2006, 10:49 PM
My take on the episode.

It was OK - not great, not terrible.

I'm sick of flashbacks for cast members who've already been backflashed. We learned last night that Charlie and his brother were dopers and his brother screwed him over. Uh - didn't we already know that?

Flashback the newcomers if you want but enough already.

Looks like Lock is back to turning into the evil genius. Last year I was hoping he'd not turn out to be a screwup - I had a lot of sympathy for the former cripple. Now, I'm ready for him to just go psycho and be done with it - or betray a bunch of them to The Others.

BTW - what ever happened to whatsisface the racer who was in the hatch when they blew it open? He just swim away to Tahiti?

btowncolt
01-26-2006, 11:03 PM
BTW - what ever happened to whatsisface the racer who was in the hatch when they blew it open? He just swim away to Tahiti?

Yeah, they like to just kind of say things and move on without asking questions. It would have been nice for one of them to say, "Where's Michael?" this week. But keep in mind, it's now only been 7 days since Desmond ran off. So plot-wise, not a tremendous amount of time has passed and they probably feel like they don't have to reintroduce him yet, though his magical disappearance is rather conspicuous to anyone who actually remembers all the little stuff from Season 2.

SycamoreKen
01-29-2006, 01:41 AM
We finally sat down and watched all 3 episodes tonight. The season seems to have started out pretty well thus far. I had forgotten about Libby being at the back of the plane and Hurley in the middle. They also didn't flash back to it like they do anyone else that brings something up from the plane.

Maybe Desmond is with the Others? I wonder how long they have been there, or were they in the other bunker and didn't push the button.

btowncolt
01-31-2006, 10:30 AM
Yet another week without a new episode. They had what, 2 new ones after that 6 week hiatus?

indytoad
01-31-2006, 02:47 PM
Yet another week without a new episode. They had what, 2 new ones after that 6 week hiatus?

I hate sweeps so much.

IndyToad
Worth two in the bush

btowncolt
01-31-2006, 02:48 PM
I hate sweeps so much.

IndyToad
Worth two in the bush

If they kill off another woman, this show is going to be much more "Oz" than "Gilligan's Island" soon.

And very few people want to see that.

Kegboy
02-01-2006, 04:43 PM

ABC pulled it after they realized what a hard time I had juggling it, Veronica Mars, and now, Bones. You'd think network schedulers would realize that there's 21 hours of primetime television, they don't have to put all my shows on at the same damn time. :mad:

Peck
02-02-2006, 03:50 AM
I hate sweeps so much.

IndyToad
Worth two in the bush

This is why I am now convinced that I like the way that cable does thier show scheduling.

You may get 5 fewer episodes a season but you get zero interuptions.

They will show 13 episodes in a row & then you get a few months off till the next season. This allows the week to week build up.

After a 6 week hiatus I almost lost interest in lost & for that matter invasion as well.

Give me the way they do BSG or the shield or any other show. The Sopranos are differant, they take way to long between seasons IMO.

DisplacedKnick
02-02-2006, 07:45 AM
It's one thing not to have a new episode - it's quite another to pull one out from last year.

I got home late and flipped on the tape - flipped it off (read that how you like) after Hurley's Mommy broker her ankle.

Now just to be sure - because I can go back and review it - there isn't some crucial hidden 30-second sequence where Hurley steps on whaserface's foot either in the airport or on board the plane?

Kat
02-02-2006, 09:31 AM
It's one thing not to have a new episode - it's quite another to pull one out from last year.

I'm actually quite pleased they showed this episode again. It's one of a few I missed from the first season.

Now when are they going to re-air the Claire episode?

btowncolt
02-02-2006, 09:51 AM

I got home late and flipped on the tape - flipped it off (read that how you like) after Hurley's Mommy broker her ankle.

Now just to be sure - because I can go back and review it - there isn't some crucial hidden 30-second sequence where Hurley steps on whaserface's foot either in the airport or on board the plane?

I'm hoping they decided to show Numbers again because it has some relevance for the Hurley flashback show we're about to have very soon.

DisplacedKnick
02-06-2006, 10:03 AM
Well, they sure hit it yesterday during the SB.

Wasn't any worse than most of the other commercials.

Gyron
02-06-2006, 10:06 AM
I got this in my "word of the day" email this morning. The Dharma project makes a little more sense now....Well somewhat.

dharma (DHAR-muh) noun

1. Duty; right behavior.

2. Law, especially the eternal law of the cosmos.

3. Religion.

[From Sanskrit dharma (law, custom, duty). Ultimately from Indo-European root dher- (to hold firmly or support) that is also the source of firm, affirm, confirm, farm, fermata, and firmament.]

btowncolt
02-06-2006, 10:10 AM
I got this in my "word of the day" email this morning. The Dharma project makes a little more sense now....Well somewhat.

dharma (DHAR-muh) noun

1. Duty; right behavior.

2. Law, especially the eternal law of the cosmos.

3. Religion.

[From Sanskrit dharma (law, custom, duty). Ultimately from Indo-European root dher- (to hold firmly or support) that is also the source of firm, affirm, confirm, farm, fermata, and firmament.]

The writers have confirmed that "Dharma" is an acronym.

btowncolt
02-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Well, they sure hit it yesterday during the SB.

Wasn't any worse than most of the other commercials.

What do you mean? I didn't watch it, so don't know about any commercials.

DisplacedKnick
02-06-2006, 11:17 AM
What do you mean? I didn't watch it, so don't know about any commercials.

They had two main ones - one promoting this week's episode (that's been on elsewhere) which included Anna Lucia saying, "You people actually think you're safe?" And it looks like Sun's getting taken by The Others.

The other was just a bunch of quick shots promoting the series.

Gyron
02-06-2006, 11:21 AM
The did have a kinda funny one with Robert Palmer singing "Addicted to LOST"

btowncolt
02-08-2006, 11:59 AM
Tonight's is the supposed to be the episode where we find out about Sawyer and Hurley's secret sexual relationship, and how a wild boar is tearing them apart.

I can't wait.

Gyron
02-08-2006, 01:03 PM
So I suppose the personw e saw being drug away is by a wild boar and It was Sawyer during one of his sexual escapades with the boar?

Kegboy
02-08-2006, 01:04 PM
Damnit, Btown, DON'T POST SPOILERS!!!

:pissed:

Pig Nash
02-08-2006, 11:09 PM
So what's with Sawyer's flashback? What was the point of him sending Dimples to Sioux City?

btowncolt
02-08-2006, 11:10 PM
What a piece of crap episode.

At least next week's looks intriguing.

Pig Nash
02-08-2006, 11:17 PM
Ok, I don't get it. You guys hate it when the plot doesn't advance very far, but when you learn new things you say it was a crap episode. I liked it but am a little confused by the ending.

btowncolt
02-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Ok, I don't get it. You guys hate it when the plot doesn't advance very far, but when you learn new things you say it was a crap episode. I liked it but am a little confused by the ending.

We didn't learn anything. It was a total fluff episode.

The'yre just killing time 'till the big sweeps week next week. And rightly so given ABC's production budget for the show.

That doesn't mean I can't shut off the logical part of my brain for two minutes and let the fan react.

I mean, really, what was there? Charlie's angry and doesn't use drugs anymore? Sawyer is a guy who lead a tough life and treats himself like crap? The waitress at the cafe he and his partner ate at was Kate's Mom (the only little Easter Egg of the episode)? Beyond that, I can't think of anything. They picked up a radio signal from somewhere. We listened to Glenn Miller. That's not something, it's just trivial "Ooooh, I wonder what that was even though it's not important and they'll never bring it up again?!??!" type stuff.

Maybe I've just grown really, really tired of this "flashback" vehicle they've backed themselves into. Give us something beyond what we already know about the characters. And don't assume your entire audience, or ABC, will have the budget or patience to put up with an 8 year show, which they're now planning.

I don't want to talk about the previews for next week's episode if people haven't seen them yet, but they already look good. I promise not to come in here and gripe about the individual episode if it's even remotely close to what they showed in the preview. I may complain about the fact that they bring up 200 new questions without answering any (and making it more unlikely every time that they're going to even remember what all the questions were), but I "get" that they can only do so much in 40 mintues.

Maybe I expect too much from the show. Every show is 70% fluff episodes, with the occasional big bang to keep interest up. It just feels like Season 2 is way more fluff than Season 1 ever was.

What about the ending confused you? I love discussing any episode, even ones I don't immediately like.

EDIT- I'm also angry that I just read that we still have 2 months worth of re-run weeks this season. This is obvious if you think about it, but I still didn't like reading it. Argh.

Pig Nash
02-08-2006, 11:32 PM
I guess I just enjoyed it more because I like Sawyer's character, and I didn't watch season 1.

btowncolt
02-08-2006, 11:35 PM
I guess I just enjoyed it more because I like Sawyer's character, and I didn't watch season 1.

Ah. I just sat down and watched all of Season 1 a month or so ago, and maybe that's why I disliked the episode so much more. Everything we saw in tonight's episode we gleamed from the first two minutes of Sawyer's first flashback last season. There just wasn't any need for it in terms of either character development or future information.

indytoad
02-08-2006, 11:51 PM
No new developments? I dunno about that. Now Sawyer has all the guns, all the power essentially, and also completely embarassed Jack and Locke in front of the entire camp. That's not going to help resolve the leadership issue any. I think that'll change the island dynamics quite a bit. Even without any major revelations, the entire episode was a very enjoyable ride, they did a very good job at keeping me guessing (well, aside from the flashback, which didn't have much point other than to show that Sawyer is not a nice guy).

On that point, I do agree with you on the flashback issue. At first it was great because we didn't know anything about the characters, so each episode was like two in one. But there's only so much they can do that now they're becoming redundant, especially when they keep doing the same characters over and over. I mean, how long has it been since a Claire or Sayid flashback?

But anyway, yeah, the next episode looks intriguing, although as usual I'm sure it's not going to proceed quite as they make it appear.

Some extra thoughts... How did Sawyer get the guns? I can't figure out how he knew where Locke was going to put them. And what was Locke doing with the books? Maybe he was looking for more film strips. Also interesting to see how completely unnerved he was when Sawyer told him Jack was coming to get the guns - I don't think we've seen Locke like that since he arrived on the island. I was also suprised to find out Charlie was the one that punked Sun - apparently he's sunk a lot farther than I had originally thought.

IndyToad
Monstrous

Pig Nash
02-08-2006, 11:55 PM
It was charlie that followed Locke and told Sawyer where they were.

indytoad
02-09-2006, 12:02 AM
It was charlie that followed Locke and told Sawyer where they were.

Hmm, okay, I guess I misinterpreted what he said. A bit suspicious, as Charlie has tried following Locke several times and never succeeds.

Man, that was almost a Peck post up there, wasn't it? Sheesh.

IndyToad
That should do it

DisplacedKnick
02-09-2006, 12:13 AM
IMO it was a poorly DONE episode - not one to draw any new viewers. But it advanced the plot quite a bit.

Sawyer's a prick - we knew that already. Charlie's kind of a twit - but we knew that already. Lock had gotten a little too big for his britches and that's over now.

So somehow Sawyer's gonna redeem himself when The Others get frisky, Charlie's gonna look like he's totally screwed for helping (after this and the babynapping he's gonna end up tied to a tree) but probably get out of it, Ana Lucia's gonna shoot somebody - and be right this time.

I was just glad to finally get some internal conflict going that's a little more profound than, "I don't like the way you talk to me when I first get up in the morning - here, read this Cosmo and everything'll be OK."

And I'm sick of flashbacks unless it's for one of the newbies.

Anyway, we finally have some people PO'd at each other. That has to be good. But someone's gonna screw things up royally - may still be Charlie trying to get out of this screwup. The Enemy Within.

DisplacedKnick
02-09-2006, 12:15 AM
Hmm, okay, I guess I misinterpreted what he said. A bit suspicious, as Charlie has tried following Locke several times and never succeeds.

Yeah, but Lock wasn't carrying about a hundred guns in one trip before either. That's gotta make a little noise.

Kegboy
02-09-2006, 12:23 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed it. As Rim stated, it wasn't well crafted, but it sure as hell gave us some meat.

I'm kicking myself for not realizing Sawyer was playing everyone. I'm glad he's back to being a bad ***, he was getting a bit too cutesy wootesy for my taste. And thank god Locke gotten taken down a peg. Plus, I'm terribly happy we don't have to wait until the end of the season for them not to press the freakin' button.

And Toad, next week is Sayid, and the week after is Claire.

indytoad
02-09-2006, 01:01 AM
And Toad, next week is Sayid, and the week after is Claire.

:happydanc

EDIT: Remember the manuscript Hurley was reading at the end of the episode? Check this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1401302769/sr=1-1/qid=1139461470/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-3192119-8586359?%5Fencoding=UTF8) out. Make sure you read the author description.

IndyToad
Looks like a little football

MagicRat
02-09-2006, 01:04 AM
Plus, I'm terribly happy we don't have to wait until the end of the season for them not to press the freakin' button.

I'm sure the last scene of the next episode will be the "0" on the clock, then they'll go on hiatus for a month.......

Pig Nash
02-09-2006, 01:04 AM
whoa! is that a happy dance by indytoad???
that's sig worthy.

btowncolt
02-09-2006, 08:35 AM
I'm sure the last scene of the next episode will be the "0" on the clock, then they'll go on hiatus for a month.......

No, we get an episode on the 22nd, THEN they go in hiatus for a month.

You all seemed to like it much more than me. Maybe that's because I predicted the whole stupid thing by the 20 minute marker. I should stop trying to do that and enjoy the episodes, eh?

Ragnar
02-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Lets talk about the radio broadcast. Remember when the numbers episode where Hurley went to Australia and talked to the widow of the man he got the number from (or maybe it was the guy who gave the numbers to the crazy guy Hurley got them from) anyway they were at a Radio monitoring station in Alaska durring WW2 right about the time the Glen Miller orchestra was popular.

When Sayied said the signals could travel thousands of miles and could be coming from anywhere Hurley said or any time. I am pretty sure they were telling us they were picking up a WW2 radio broadcast.

One other thing about Glen Miller. He boarded a plan that was lost. He never reached his destination and his plane has never been found.

btowncolt
02-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Lets talk about the radio broadcast. Remember when the numbers episode where Hurley went to Australia and talked to the widow of the man he got the number from (or maybe it was the guy who gave the numbers to the crazy guy Hurley got them from) anyway they were at a Radio monitoring station in Alaska durring WW2 right about the time the Glen Miller orchestra was popular.

When Sayied said the signals could travel thousands of miles and could be coming from anywhere Hurley said or any time. I am pretty sure they were telling us they were picking up a WW2 radio broadcast.

One other thing about Glen Miller. He boarded a plan that was lost. He never reached his destination and his plane has never been found.

That's a neat little Glenn Miller tidbit.

As for the broadcast, I'm not entirely sure what you're implying. The writers have confirmed that any sort of time travel or time warp doesn't exist in the show. What exactly did you mean in your first statements?

Ragnar
02-09-2006, 11:44 AM
That's a neat little Glenn Miller tidbit.

As for the broadcast, I'm not entirely sure what you're implying. The writers have confirmed that any sort of time travel or time warp doesn't exist in the show. What exactly did you mean in your first statements?

I am not saying that the people on the island have gone back in time only that the radio broadcast may have bounced back in time.

Gyron
02-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Hurley did make a comment about that.

When Sayid said the radio signal could be coming from anywhere....Hurley replied "or anytime".

I did think that was a little odd.

btowncolt
02-09-2006, 12:28 PM
Hurley did make a comment about that.

When Sayid said the radio signal could be coming from anywhere....Hurley replied "or anytime".

I did think that was a little odd.

I think the writers just love f*in' around with us sometimes.

Pig Nash
02-09-2006, 06:31 PM
I think Hurley was being fake crazy.

Kegboy
02-09-2006, 07:23 PM

That's still better than "blow the hatch...see you in 4 months :wave:" :pissed:

[edit] And for the record I expect nothing will happen when the clock hits zero. At least, nothing as far as they can tell. You'll have Jack saying, "See, nothing happened", and Locke saying, "How do you know nothing happened."

Natston
02-09-2006, 11:50 PM
I don't know about you guys, but the counter from the promo for next week didn't look right...

SycamoreKen
02-11-2006, 01:52 AM
Who's dream do you think this all is anyway?

Bball
02-11-2006, 06:26 AM
Who's dream do you think this all is anyway?

Gilligan's.

-BBall

btowncolt
02-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Gilligan's.

-BBall

It's funnier every time. If you make the plane crash Jermiane's fault, I'll be in hysterics.

:kicknuts:
:tongue:

Kegboy
02-11-2006, 03:01 PM
No, we get an episode on the 22nd, THEN they go in hiatus for a month.

Actually, looks like that's changed. That episode has been pushed back to 3/1, so we'll have a 2 week wait.

Bball
02-11-2006, 03:26 PM
It's funnier every time. If you make the plane crash Jermiane's fault, I'll be in hysterics.

:kicknuts:
:tongue:

Actually, the show is better without Jermaine. Jermaine would just bog down the plot.

-Bball

Natston
02-11-2006, 03:42 PM
I don't know about you guys, but the counter from the promo for next week didn't look right...

Hey I think you might be on to something... :-o

Natston
02-11-2006, 03:52 PM

Yeah, I don't know what to think about it. Maybe they find another hatch because of the new guy?

indytoad
02-11-2006, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I don't know what to think about it. Maybe they find another hatch because of the new guy?

It's probably a dream sequence. :grumble:

IndyToad
On my head

btowncolt
02-13-2006, 12:17 PM

The writers have confirmed that it's the same timer, though I agree from some of the screencaps I've seen other than yours they look rather different.

Doug
02-13-2006, 01:55 PM
I finally got around to watching last Wednesday's episode. I thought it was pretty interesting, at least the "non-flashback" stuff was.

I fell for the con, too.

Two characters who were inching closer to "redemption" (Sawyer and Charlie) took big steps back. I guess the writers figured the show might be on for a while and didn't want everything to get wrapped up too soon.

Of course Saywer's plan for being the "new sherrif in town" as a few flaws. Mainly that he has to go to sleep at some point...

btowncolt
02-13-2006, 02:22 PM
Actually, looks like that's changed. That episode has been pushed back to 3/1, so we'll have a 2 week wait.

Better than a 4 consecutive week wait, I guess.

Kegboy
02-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Of course Saywer's plan for being the "new sherrif in town" as a few flaws. Mainly that he has to go to sleep at some point...

Yep. However, he's already resisted Sayid's torturing, so, at least in his mind, what are they going to do? He's isolated himself, he's almost psychotically stubborn. I'm sure there would be ways to break him, but it'd be difficult.

Stryder
02-13-2006, 02:30 PM
Yep. However, he's already resisted Sayid's torturing, so, at least in his mind, what are they going to do? He's isolated himself, he's almost psychotically stubborn. I'm sure there would be ways to break him, but it'd be difficult.

Kill him.

btowncolt
02-13-2006, 02:32 PM

And Heaven knows Locke would be totally incapable of tracking where Charlie took all of them. Or even Kate for that matter.

Doug
02-13-2006, 06:49 PM
I forgot to mention that I believe that radio waves can occasionally get trapped in the atmosphere for long periods of time. Or at least I read that once.

So, maybe that *is* a live Glenn Miller broadcast...

Pacersin6
02-13-2006, 07:07 PM
As much as i enjoy the show, there are some things that worry me.

Since, it is such a hit you know the plot will not advance fast, but just as its getting bogged down they will throw in some "teaser" material. I always worry with shows like this that ultimately have a big secret to tell that it can get really frustrating at times.

I worried about the same thing with HBO's Carnivale, but they did a good job of development and moving the story forward(until it got cancelled)

Kegboy
02-13-2006, 08:37 PM
Kill him.

Well, then you don't have any guns. Even Charlie doesn't know where Sawyer hid them.

Stryder
02-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Well, then you don't have any guns. Even Charlie doesn't know where Sawyer hid them.

Sawyer is not that smart. He's just a good con-man.

If Locke cannot find them, then I'll quit watching the show.

DisplacedKnick
02-14-2006, 07:54 AM
Sawyer is not that smart. He's just a good con-man.

If Locke cannot find them, then I'll quit watching the show.

Well, he can't find 'em yet - have to build the tension.

All the stars are aligned though for Sawyer to rescue them in the nick of time - The Others are coming over the hill and Sawyer can run down the beach screaming, "I have GUNS!". Which means Charlie's the sacrificial lamb and in his last season, which is OK.

Or maybe Charlie lives and Sawyer gets blown away while strains of Clapton play in the background.

Or maybe I don't know what the hel! I'm talking about and just having fun speculating.

btowncolt
02-15-2006, 02:58 PM
Hmm, out of sheer boredom.....

I'm going to take their word for it and assume it's the same timer. And it looks like it hits 0. But I bet they (Locke) somehow get the numbers in right before whatever happens. They can't have whatever occur this early in the show's life. It's gotta be one big tease.

And I hope there's a Hurley shower scene. :eyebrow:

Any other guesses? Charlie's going to kill the baby and eat it's brains for dessert? Sawyer's going to go hunting for boar but accidently shoot Locke with 200 pellets?

Gyron
02-15-2006, 03:41 PM
Well, My wife got me the company's suite tickets to the bobcats game for valentines tonight, so I guess I am going to miss the first episode of Lost Ive missed since the show started because I forgot to set my VCR before I left for work today:(

Ill just go buy it on Itunes I guess.:)

btowncolt
02-15-2006, 04:07 PM
Well, My wife got me the company's suite tickets to the bobcats game for valentines tonight, so I guess I am going to miss the first episode of Lost Ive missed since the show started because I forgot to set my VCR before I left for work today:(

Ill just go buy it on Itunes I guess.:)

I always record it on my computer. Can't promise it's HD quality, but it's your if you want it.

Gyron
02-15-2006, 04:13 PM
Thanks Btown:) I'll let you know. Maybe I can get them to change the suite TV to Lost, I'm sure it should be as entertaining as the Nets whooping the Boobcats:)

btowncolt
02-15-2006, 11:06 PM
Great, great, great episode. Nary a complaint from me.

I'll have some thoughts and reactions tomorrow most likely. Stay tuned.

Hmm, out of sheer boredom.....

I'm going to take their word for it and assume it's the same timer. And it looks like it hits 0. But I bet they (Locke) somehow get the numbers in right before whatever happens. They can't have whatever occur this early in the show's life. It's gotta be one big tease.

And I hope there's a Hurley shower scene.

Any other guesses? Charlie's going to kill the baby and eat it's brains for dessert? Sawyer's going to go hunting for boar but accidently shoot Locke with 200 pellets?

Get that man a cigar.

Stryder
02-15-2006, 11:12 PM
SPOILERS:

Did anyone get a picture of the symbols that appeared on the timer as it expired? I didn't DVR the episode tonight.

Great episode.

indytoad
02-15-2006, 11:17 PM
Great, great, great episode. Nary a complaint from me.

:jawdrop:

I do wonder what the heiroglyphs mean...that's very interesting. And it sounded like some huge machine was starting up.

A couple random thoughts... I've seen some theories on Lost boards about Locke possibly going to the Others' side - and his comment about it being "all relative" seemed rather sympathetic to them...or maybe it's just me.

And did that picture the solider had at the end look like a young Kate to anyone else?

IndyToad
So is your hat

btowncolt
02-15-2006, 11:17 PM
SPOILERS:

Did anyone get a picture of the symbols that appeared on the timer as it expired? I didn't DVR the episode tonight.

Great episode.

I think people just have to assume at this point that there is going to be episode discussion after a new episode. It's eight pages long, has 200+ posts, and has been here for two seasons. Tough phooey for them if the check before watching after a new episode. :tongue:

As for the screencaps, I can get those up tomorrow if someone doesn't beat me to it.

btowncolt
02-15-2006, 11:18 PM

I do wonder what the heiroglyphs mean...that's very interesting. And it sounded like some huge machine was starting up.

A couple random thoughts... I've seen some theories on Lost boards about Locke possibly going to the Others' side - and his comment about it being "all relative" seemed rather sympathetic to them...or maybe it's just me.

And did that picture the solider had at the end look like a young Kate to anyone else?

IndyToad
So is your hat

That was her Dad. We met him earlier this season at the recruiting station (ironicly enough, you caught a half second glimpse of Sayid being "arrested" on the TV playing in the station when Kate walked in).

indytoad
02-15-2006, 11:20 PM
That was her Dad. We met him earlier this season at the recruiting station (ironicly enough, you caught a half second glimpse of Sayid being arrested on the TV playing in the station when Kate walked in).

I keep forgetting about all the minor characters... It's been a few months now, I can't be expected to remember everyone's parents...

IndyToad
Broke the egg

btowncolt
02-15-2006, 11:25 PM
I'm watching it again before I go to bed. A good ol' Sayid flashback episode always helps get me goin'.........

:eyebrow:

Stryder
02-15-2006, 11:33 PM
http://www.photodump.com/direct/bignz/lost.jpg

A crude pic of the symbols that I found...

Stryder
02-16-2006, 12:08 AM
Also, Henry Gale....Balloon...

Anyone ever read the Land of Oz books?

DisplacedKnick
02-16-2006, 12:09 AM

I'm almost certain one was Ra and one of the others MAY have been Horus - if we're talking Egyption. Since the Dharma symbol is Taoist I'm not sure that's valid.

Once someone posts a good picture I'll see if I can figure it out.

Not a bad episode - still don't need the flashbacks but in this case they decided to throw in more of the "They're all inextricably linked" clues.
Jack has to figure out who and what he is and Sayid sure gave Charlie a leading question at the end.

They're really working on making Sawyer the bad guy right now - we'll see where that takes us.

SoupIsGood
02-16-2006, 12:29 AM
http://www.thetailsection.com/blogpics/one_of_them_lostoneofthem.jpg

Also, that frog that Sawyer had...... aren't those venomous?

indytoad
02-16-2006, 12:39 AM
http://www.thetailsection.com/blogpics/one_of_them_lostoneofthem.jpg

Also, that frog that Sawyer had...... aren't those venomous?

Arrow eh? I wonder if that last one is a Swan...

Looked around a little bit on Wiki, check out what I found: anyone notice the hatch they find in the preview? The symbol in the center looked like the staff of Asclepius, the symbol for medicine... According to Greek mythology, when Asclepius died he was given immortality as the constellation Ophiuchus...

Might the hieroglyphs represent the different hatches?

IndyToad
Mucho tension lower

Pig Nash
02-16-2006, 12:40 AM
btown, i would greatly appreciate that episode. my car was being retarded and i had to deal with it. and therefore missed most of the episode.

SoupIsGood
02-16-2006, 12:42 AM
Also - the one dude they found was completely FULL OF BS. If Jack or maybe Locke had been at the torture-thing, they would have noticed it...... Sayid apparently isn't a big Wizard of Oz fan :whistle:

Stryder
02-16-2006, 12:44 AM
All symbols have to do with Greek mythology....nice...

SoupIsGood
02-16-2006, 12:45 AM
What do those symbols mean, btw? I just spotted that pic at a Spurs forum

(Orion and the crow sound familar, didn't orion have a funky eye)

Kegboy
02-16-2006, 12:47 AM
Thoroughly enjoyable, though the Sawyer subplot was fairly pointless. Except for Hurley with the big vat of ranch dressing, of course.

Mmm, ranch dressing. [/homer]

Stryder
02-16-2006, 12:48 AM
What do those symbols mean, btw? I just spotted that pic at a Spurs forum

(Orion and the crow sound familar, didn't orion have a funky eye)

They are all star constellations in the sky (I believe all were named by Ptolemy). And all have greater meaning in Greek mythology.

Spicoli
02-16-2006, 12:59 AM
This show makes my head hurt.

btowncolt
02-16-2006, 10:43 AM
Here's a higher quality screenshot of the symbols:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/TrickyNinja/Timer.jpg

And here's a couple that might give away the "missing" one (First one won't show here, just click the link):

http://www.dharmasecrets.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1309.0;attach=748; image

http://www.mrmet.net/lost4.jpg

Kat
02-16-2006, 11:07 AM
And here's a couple that might give away the "missing" one (First one won't show here, just click the link):

Kinda looks like a person, doesn't it?

btowncolt
02-16-2006, 11:08 AM
I like the Henry Gale thing Stryder brought up. Anyone have any further comment on that, as I haven't read the books?

btowncolt
02-16-2006, 11:19 AM
I found a place that has seemingly rather accurately deciphered the symbols, but won't post it on here because I don't know if people actually want to read it.

Stryder
02-16-2006, 12:38 PM
I found a place that has seemingly rather accurately deciphered the symbols, but won't post it on here because I don't know if people actually want to read it.

Btown: I would love to read the site, what is the address? If you don't mind...

btowncolt
02-16-2006, 12:40 PM
Btown: I would love to read the site, what is the address? If you don't mind...

http://thefuselage.com/Threaded/showthread.php?t=37437

From about page 18 on........

Kat
02-16-2006, 12:52 PM
I like the Henry Gale thing Stryder brought up. Anyone have any further comment on that, as I haven't read the books?

I read on trekbbs (trekbbs.com) that Henry Gale was not the name of Dorothy's uncle in Wizard of Oz. It's stated in the books that Henry was Dorothy's mother's brother, so his last name would be different (although what it is was never stated in the books). :shrug:

Stryder
02-16-2006, 01:30 PM
I read on trekbbs (trekbbs.com) that Henry Gale was not the name of Dorothy's uncle in Wizard of Oz. It's stated in the books that Henry was Dorothy's mother's brother, so his last name would be different (although what it is was never stated in the books). :shrug:

I'm not sure if it really says that Uncle Henry's name is different. I cannot find it, and I've read every OZ book.

Natston
02-16-2006, 05:44 PM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e183/Alyson3783/hieroglyphs.jpg

:shrug:

Stryder
02-16-2006, 08:55 PM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e183/Alyson3783/hieroglyphs.jpg

:shrug:

Where did you find that?

btowncolt
02-16-2006, 08:58 PM
Where did you find that?

It's in that link I put on here for you earlier.

Natston
02-16-2006, 09:43 PM

I found it on another Lost board that btown hadn't posted but he always has to steal my thunder...

Stryder
02-16-2006, 10:09 PM

D'oh! I just looked at your link now!

btowncolt
03-01-2006, 11:32 AM
Finally get another new episode tonight.

I'm still eagerly awaiting that Sawyer/Hurley love scene.

Kegboy
03-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Speaking of Hurley, I read somebody say this somewhere, and I agree. After watching the pilot last week, it's obvious that the actor has lost weight. Don't get me wrong, he's still huge, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone from a XXXXL to a XXXL or something like that. That'd actually fit with them being only being on the island for a couple months, once you factor in the ranch dressing, of course.

MMM, ranch dressing. :drooling:

btowncolt
03-01-2006, 11:09 PM
Another very good episode.

indytoad
03-01-2006, 11:31 PM
Yeah, I was about to say, AWESOME episode. It even had a relevant flashback, such as it was. Gale beginning to sow some seeds of distruct, Russeau partially redeeming herself, Ethan playing a vital role, Libby getting some screentime...this episode was boon for minor characters.

Some of the light shed on the others (ie. fake beards and clothes) seems to lend some credence to the "giant experiment" theory, I think. They're certainly more advanced than they want everyone to believe. Also answered a couple questions, as far as the lists and the purpose of the moles. Plus, we got to find out what Alex looks like. Hoorah! Eko's talk with Gale was interesting as well...I guess it means that he suspects that Gale is an Other as well? Why else would he apologize directly to him?

Also looks like, yet again, there won't be an episode next week. Arg!

IndyToad
Reaching out

btowncolt
03-01-2006, 11:33 PM
Also looks like, yet again, there won't be an episode next week. Arg!

Another two weeks of re-runs, followed by Episode 16, "The Whole Truth".

Anthem
03-01-2006, 11:35 PM
Another two weeks of re-runs, followed by Episode 16, "The Whole Truth".
Are the re-runs from last season, or this season?

btowncolt
03-01-2006, 11:36 PM

That I can't tell you yet. If I read the answer to that this week, I'll let you know.

Kegboy
03-02-2006, 12:06 AM

Next week is last season, the "Kate robs a bank" ep.

Anthem
03-02-2006, 01:46 AM
Next week is last season, the "Kate robs a bank" ep.
Blah. I missed the first few episodes of this season; I was hoping they'd get re-played.

DisplacedKnick
03-02-2006, 08:05 AM
Good episode which I assume will advance the plot down the road.

Be interesting how they link "the others" with the button-pushing exercise. And it's kind of funny that they had the hatch hooked up with closed circuit cameras all over the place but they couldn't pay attention to a drugged pregnant lady they intended to slice open.

What's really different is they show new episode previews, but from what you guys are saying we won't see that for a couple of weeks.

The only negative was right at the end. Surely Locke's too up on divide and conquer to fall for that? Heck, he seems to have a mental repository of every single example of treachery in recorded history. Or was he just making a show for Gale's benefit?

Eko's a complete wild card - he's being developed as a religious fanatic and those folks are always unpredictable. The writers are getting him to the point where he could do anything to scramble things up.

And where's Walt?

Kegboy
03-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Rim, I agree that Locke's reaction was way over the top. Now, it'd been established that Gayle could hear them outside, so maybe he was playing him. However, we've seen evidence of people like Sawyer, Charlie, and Sayid returning to their more basic instincts, with the implication that something on the island is causing it (Rouseou's "2 month rule"). We've learned from Locke's flashbacks that he's terribly insecure, with good reason (Daddy issues, "Don't tell me what I can't do!", etc.) It is in his nature to conflict greatly with Jack on a personal level and a "professional" one as well, resenting his assumed leadership position. Still, that thing at the end was a bit too hokey and out of character. It would have played better as an implosion, with Locke perhaps grasping a glass so tight he broke it. Or, maybe the writers are playing up that everybody's going nuts. :dunno:

MagicRat
03-02-2006, 11:03 PM
Just finished watching last night's episode. It was a good one.

I enjoyed seeing the leader of the Others without his fake beard (although he's apparently not the real leader, because he was worried about "him").....

Natston
03-03-2006, 05:41 AM
Rim, I agree that Locke's reaction was way over the top. Now, it'd been established that Gayle could hear them outside, so maybe he was playing him. However, we've seen evidence of people like Sawyer, Charlie, and Sayid returning to their more basic instincts, with the implication that something on the island is causing it (Rouseou's "2 month rule"). We've learned from Locke's flashbacks that he's terribly insecure, with good reason (Daddy issues, "Don't tell me what I can't do!", etc.) It is in his nature to conflict greatly with Jack on a personal level and a "professional" one as well, resenting his assumed leadership position. Still, that thing at the end was a bit too hokey and out of character. It would have played better as an implosion, with Locke perhaps grasping a glass so tight he broke it. Or, maybe the writers are playing up that everybody's going nuts. :dunno:

I dunno, have you seen the trailer for the next episode yet?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j1VLeboWtu0

Kegboy
03-03-2006, 12:08 PM
I dunno, have you seen the trailer for the next episode yet?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j1VLeboWtu0

All I remembered was Jin being pregnant. Hell, I don't know what's going on.

DisplacedKnick
03-04-2006, 10:24 AM
It is in his nature to conflict greatly with Jack on a personal level and a "professional" one as well, resenting his assumed leadership position. Still, that thing at the end was a bit too hokey and out of character. It would have played better as an implosion, with Locke perhaps grasping a glass so tight he broke it. Or, maybe the writers are playing up that everybody's going nuts. :dunno:

Well, IMO they already twisted the Locke/Jack thing a bit in the button pushing/Sayid punching Gale's face in scene.

I'm watching that scene thinking, "Locke seems to know every martial arts/fighting technique that's ever been invented and he can't get away from a Doctor?" The old forehead to the nose would have done it - or his arms were free so he could have done the old up-and-out and smashed Jack's head against the wall.

But that was minor compared to his method of avoiding his dishwashing chores.

Kegboy
03-04-2006, 01:40 PM
But that was minor compared to his method of avoiding his dishwashing chores.

:laugh:

Stryder
03-04-2006, 07:22 PM
Who is this "him" that the guy who Sawyer referred to as "Zeke" was talking about?

Kat
03-04-2006, 09:03 PM
All I remembered was Jin being pregnant. Hell, I don't know what's going on.

Dude, Jin is the guy! :laugh:

I guess you don't know what's going on! ;)

DisplacedKnick
03-05-2006, 12:27 AM
Dude, Jin is the guy!

Locke's right - the island IS special. :-o ;)

Kegboy
03-05-2006, 12:51 PM
:blush:

btowncolt
03-08-2006, 08:45 PM
Another potentially useless, potentially revealing tie-in:

The song the show started with, the tune of the Perry Como classic, ''Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket....''the one played by the airplane mobile over Future Aaron's crib was, in fact, the same song Claire, in last year's flashback, hoped that her child's adoptive parents would know.

So how'd the Others know it, when they were preparing a nursery for the baby they planned to harvest from Claire?

Doug
03-09-2006, 11:33 PM
Just watched last weeks episode. For a while I was thinking there were two "others" groups on the island, but then they showed the dress-up clothes...

I thought that Locke wouldn't fall for the fairly obvious attempt to introduce a split between him and Jack, that he was now 100% certain the prisoner was one of the others, and that his reaction was calcuated to get the prisoner to slip up. But from the preview of the next episode it looks like Locke bought it. Must be something in the water...

It's interesting. I thought the show was going to go in a "everybody must confront and conquer their demons and 'find redemption' before they are all saved" direction. But perhaps they will all descend into maddness and raw emotion, their own "Amok Time". Hopefully, that will end with Kate running around naked a lot. :-)

BigMac
03-10-2006, 02:08 PM
I read other message boards about Lost and I figured I might ask you what you all thought of my hypothesis as to what is really going on. Don't throw too many things at me for being stupid or missing something-though I have not missed an episode.

Everyone on the island did something really bad and were referred without their knowledge (or have had that memory deleted) to a group of doctors/scientists that have implanted a memory of getting on a plane and being involved with a plane crash-one that no one could possibly survive but did. They are watching them as a sort of science experiment to see if people who have done things that have been over-the-top bad can become good and respectible adults and not have their previous transgressions cause them to keep being bad even though they have good qualities that have been overshadowed by the bad actions/qualities.

Maybe the "monster" sounds and black smoke have been imprinted in their minds so that when they hear the "monster" sounds, that they visualize certain things happening that really are not?

The monster being called a "security system" could be security to keep the Losties within the specified area that the dr's/scientists can observe ALL of their actions.

The dr's/scientists have extensive backgrounds on all of the Losties so that they are able to do things like Kate's Horse, the mobile on Claire's baby bed/song on the radio, etc.

Also, it seems weird that of all the survivors, they have a Dr., a radio specialist (with a military background), and outdoor specialist (Locke-from his preparation of his Outback walkabout), fisherman (Jin), etc.

Also with everyone being linked with another person somehow, I think that that will play into this as we go further down the line. Like Hurley with the Police in Jin's flashback, etc.

I also think that the name Lost is not regarding the Losties being Lost after a plane crash but rather their lives were lost-not dead-just with no meaning any more-and that since they have 'Lost Lives' that they were chosen to be a part of this experiment.

Any comments?

Be gentle, please.

Gyron
03-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Interesting Hypothesis Bigmac.

Doesn't sound any worse than some of the others I have read either.

Who knows how this will all shake out. It is an interesting show in that they keep you guessing as to whats going to happen next while keeping every character tied into the others lives without them knowing....

DisplacedKnick
03-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Interesting Hypothesis Bigmac.

Same here - better than mine.

I keep coming back to some psychological experiment which I can make sound very reasonable except for this - who (other than extraterrestrials wanting to find out all they can about how Humans respond under pressure) would engineer a plane crash to make it happen?

BigMac
03-10-2006, 03:39 PM
Same here - better than mine.

I keep coming back to some psychological experiment which I can make sound very reasonable except for this - who (other than extraterrestrials wanting to find out all they can about how Humans respond under pressure) would engineer a plane crash to make it happen?

The alien thing would be cool but I don't think that there was a plane crash at all. Just props set up to look like a plane crash and a situation where all of the people were brought out of hypnosis with a snap of a finger or a key word/sound. Maybe they can go back into hypnosis by the sound of the "monster" and thus allowing the "others" to come and observe them physically-possibly even go so far as to stand right next to them? I personally believe that the entire plane crash, plane trip, time in the airport, etc. is something that was manufactured into their memories. Just a thought though.

Natston
03-22-2006, 06:48 PM
Bump

It's been a long time coming for the new episode. :censored: