PDA

View Full Version : Al Thornton waived by Washington | Heading to the Warriors?

Jared Sullinger
03-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Wizards Insider - Wizards buy out Al Thornton's contract (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2011/03/wizards-buy-out-al-thorntons-c.html)

The Wizards have waived forward Al Thornton after coming to an agreement on a contract buyout.
From the news release:
"The additions of Rashard Lewis and Mo Evans combined with Josh Howard's return from injury gave us a logjam at the small forward spot," said [team President Ernie] Grunfeld. "Coming to terms on a contract buyout with Al was mutually beneficial, as it allows us to clear space in the rotation and allows him the chance to pursue an opportunity with another team."
Thornton was originally acquired from the L.A. Clippers in a three-team, six-player deal on February 17, 2010. He appeared 49 games for the Wizards this season, averaging 8.0 points and 3.2 rebounds.

Marc Stein (STEIN_LINE_HQ) on Twitter (http://twitter.com/stein_line_HQ)

Sources close to the situation tell ESPN.com that Al Thornton, freshly bought out by Wizards, is Golden State-bound if he clears waivers

Kstat
03-01-2011, 06:12 PM
The only news here is that another NBA team actually wants him...

Justin Tyme
03-01-2011, 06:45 PM
I wouldn't mind the Pacers picking him up for the rest of the season. I realize they'd have to cut someone like Solo, but Thornton is more productive than Solo. With Dun out for the rest of the year, Thornton could play some SF b/u minutes and has better size than either Dahbtay and Rush.

It won't happen, but for the rest of the season I'd take the chance.

Heisenberg
03-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Haven't seen him play much, but his career numbers seem decent enough, rotation worthy. Why'd they cut him? Knucklehead?

Kstat
03-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Doesn't play defense,doesn't pass the ball, doesn't produce within the flow of a game.

MyFavMartin
03-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Doesn't play defense,doesn't pass the ball, doesn't produce within the flow of a game.

That can describe everyone on that team.

d_c
03-02-2011, 01:21 AM
The guy just isn't very good.

Similar thing can be said most of the time about guys who are waived/bought out this time of year.

Taterhead
03-02-2011, 03:14 AM
The guy is already 27 years old, I just don't see the point in bringing him in. He isn't really an upgrade over what we have. And he's not young enough to have much upside. Just another journeyman.

LA_Confidential
03-02-2011, 10:16 AM
That can describe everyone on that team.

Except John Wall.