PDA

View Full Version : The Celtics just got a lot Softer

jcouts
03-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Troy Murphy picks Celtics over Heat

Troy Murphy picks Celtics over Heat (http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=6170568)

I will say, I'll be curious to see how playing with the Celtics does or doesn't change Murph as a player.

DemonHunter1105
03-01-2011, 02:09 PM
I think he will be ok. The other Celtics' players will cover him up on D. Plus he doesn't just shoot 3s a la James Posey. He did drive and dunk occasionally for us, so he isn't completely one dimensional.

Psyren
03-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Have fun with the softest interior post defense you'll ever find, Boston.

For the rest of the Celts: I hope you're all ready for major help defense/a higher likelihood of fouling out due to covering Murph's behind every play.

Good riddance.

Unclebuck
03-01-2011, 02:27 PM
I think Murphy will play the best defense in his life, but I also doubt he'll play all that much because even Troy's best defense is way below the Celtics standards.

Sookie
03-01-2011, 02:28 PM
I thought the Celtics were going to have an easy time with the Heat in the playoffs.

Now, with trading Perkins and getting Troy..I'm favoring the heat. Granted, Rondo will eat up Bibby.

Kemo
03-01-2011, 02:29 PM
haha a funny thought just occured to me ..

Murphy out there stealing all da rebounds from KG and Shaq and everyone else on his team lolz ..

and the subsequent WTF?!? looks he gets for it from them the first few times he does it to them lmao

idioteque
03-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Who else sort of hopes PG24 will posterize him? We play Boston two more times this year.

jcouts
03-01-2011, 03:13 PM
I think I'd almost rather see McBob posterize him.

I think we could have a very amusing caption-this contest on what McBob would say whilst doing so.

Trader Joe
03-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Murphy will do a great job filling in for Brian Scalabrine who is now in Chicago. And since they traded away Harangody to Cleveland they needed their token white guy on the bench.

Anyway, the Perkins trade was a total blunder. I don't like it at all.

Mr_Smith
03-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Well...Murph finally will get to the playoffs

BornReady
03-01-2011, 03:51 PM
not only did the Celtics lose Perkins, they picked up Murphy. Ouch...

Trophy
03-01-2011, 03:51 PM
I'm happy for him.

He's a good guy and deserves to finally get into the playoffs.

BornReady
03-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Ironic that the Celtics end up with both Murphy and Jermaine :) All our former bigmen who posted big stats..

Unclebuck
03-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Ironic that the Celtics end up with both Murphy and Jermaine :) All our former bigmen who posted big stats..

I think the Celtics would rather have Jeff Foster.

Kid Minneapolis
03-01-2011, 04:09 PM
I think he'll do just fine and the Celtics will be a tough out.

BringJackBack
03-01-2011, 04:10 PM
He probably won't get over 10 minutes a game for Boston.

If he were to go to Miami though, he'd have a bigger role.

Speed
03-01-2011, 04:11 PM
not only did the Celtics lose Perkins, they picked up Murphy. Ouch...

Exactly my thought too. Polar opposites. Celtics fans will hate Murphy, if he plays.

pacer4ever
03-01-2011, 04:26 PM
I'm happy for him.

He's a good guy and deserves to finally get into the playoffs.

no he doesnt

ksuttonjr76
03-01-2011, 05:10 PM
He probably won't get over 10 minutes a game for Boston.

If he were to go to Miami though, he'd have a bigger role.

Personally, I would have went to Miami. Sooner or later, the Heat was going to win a championship. Boston....this year is it for them. Of course, Murphy can still with Miami during the offseason.

Trophy
03-01-2011, 05:17 PM
no he doesnt

Why?

He's in a good situation with Boston and at this stage of his career, he makes a good offensive spark off the bench.

He's a good backup on a team like the Celtics and a nice guy if you ever met him.

MagicRat
03-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Good move for Murph. Spray tan market much larger in Boston.

Brad8888
03-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Prediction - if Murphy gets much playing time in Boston off the bench, he will have a game or two that he goes for close to 20 points and 10 boards. Then, when it is noticed what a liability he actually is defensively and the lack of actual impact that he has on rebounding even on the defensive end, his minutes will quickly fade away and he will end up "injured" and de-activated.

For me, it is actually a question whether he ends up activated for the Celtic playoff roster. If he doesn't end up activated for the playoff roster, does he still get credit for ending his streak of not making the playoffs in his career or not?

pacer4ever
03-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Why?

He's in a good situation with Boston and at this stage of his career, he makes a good offensive spark off the bench.

He's a good backup on a team like the Celtics and a nice guy if you ever met him.

Sounds like he was a cancer in NJ's locker room he is a pro he should act like one.

graphic-er
03-01-2011, 05:53 PM
I'm pretty sure Boston traded Perkins because they knew he was gonna leave anyways. So form that stand point the OKC trade makes sense.

Trophy
03-01-2011, 05:55 PM
Sounds like he was a cancer in NJ's locker room he is a pro he should act like one.

I don't know what happened other than requesting to be traded.

I knew he wasn't fitting in with what Avery wanted.

When he was here, I liked having him around because he's was a good guy and respected the fans and his teammates.

I don't know if you've met him or not, but I found him to be one of the nicest guys you could want on your team.

Trader Joe
03-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Trophy, the bottom line is, Troy Murphy is a career loser and always has been. A me first guy who has clearly valued his stats. I'm glad he's elsewhere.

Trophy
03-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Trophy, the bottom line is, Troy Murphy is a career loser and always has been. A me first guy who has clearly valued his stats. I'm glad he's elsewhere.

I agree, as a player he made a terrible starter/answer at PF.

I wanted us to get rid of him and I'm happy with the steal we got in return for him.

joeyd
03-01-2011, 06:24 PM
I'm happy for him. He's a good guy and deserves to finally get into the playoffs.

Agreed. I hope that people don't boo him when he comes back to Indy, even if he is playing for the Celts.

Lord Helmet
03-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Who else sort of hopes PG24 will posterize him? We play Boston two more times this year.
PG should worry about not getting posterized himself.

PacerDude
03-01-2011, 08:09 PM
PG should worry about not getting posterized himself.He's still having Hayward flashbacks.

BlueNGold
03-01-2011, 11:43 PM
I think Ainge's IQ looks to be about 80 right now. I tend to wonder if Lebron is paying him to tank.

It all makes me kind of sad. I don't like the green guys, but I really dislike the yellow and red guys. I can only hope the Thunder win it all...or maybe Orlando.

Seriously, the NBA is quickly becoming a less interesting league as the stars gravitate to the coastal cities. I think the future of the NBA is international and many US teams are going to fold. JMHO.

BringJackBack
03-01-2011, 11:46 PM

Summed up my thoughts here. KG, Paul Pierce, etc. won't like him.

:highfive:

BlueNGold
03-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Summed up my thoughts here. KG, Paul Pierce, etc. won't like him.

:highfive:

I'm afraid what KG might do to him. If Murph gets on the court much, I don't see KG and Murphy both surviving the ordeal.

Train wreck in the making folks.

thewholefnshow31
03-02-2011, 11:24 AM
I am surprised the Celtics want this guy. I just cannot see Rondo, Pierce, Allen, and KG handling his softness well.

Rondo gets splattered in a game and the next time down the court KG hands out a vicious pick. You really see Murphy doing anything like that, ever?

He has shown he is a me first type of guy who only cares about getting his double doubles. He is a perennial loser and will probably be useless to the Celtics down the stretch.

indyaway
03-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Other players go ring shopping, Murph is so bad he has to hunt for a team on the verge of making the playoffs to finally get post-season action.

BillS
03-02-2011, 02:59 PM
Wow, some of this is just uncalled for. Would most people here have had this kind of a hate on for Troy if he'd played 10 minutes a game at a back-up slot for minimum money?

ballism
03-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Wow, some of this is just uncalled for. Would most people here have had this kind of a hate on for Troy if he'd played 10 minutes a game at a back-up slot for minimum money?

You are right, Troy won't be near the worst minimum backup in the league. Hey, Boston won their title with Brian Scalabrine (although not sure they actually played him in the playoffs).

But if they expect him to be a positive against some of the main backups in the playoffs, that may get ugly. Lamar Odom, Taj Gibson, there will be some really good backup 4s on their road to title.

Pacergeek
03-02-2011, 03:53 PM

i agree. you would think after reading all these comments that Troy was the worst player in the history of the NBA. Murphy isn't that bad of a player. Troy did a decent job while he was here, and he wasn't the reason that we lost all those games. Is our W/L record even that different this season without Troy? Some say that the Murphy for Collision trade was a steal. IMHO I am not so sure that this trade was that one sided. A steal was trading Dale for JO.

cgg
03-02-2011, 04:33 PM
People in south florida spray tan CONSTANTLY. They have subscriptions and go all the time. They are open 24 hours.

Good move for Murph. Spray tan market much larger in Boston.