PDA

View Full Version : Kendrick Perkins Inks Extension With Thunder

Jared Sullinger
03-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Scratch Kendrick Perkins off of your free agent wish list...

Kendrick Perkins Inks Extension With Thunder | Thunder Rumblings (http://blog.newsok.com/thunderrumblings/2011/03/01/kendrick-perkins-inks-extension/)

The Oklahoma City Thunder has agreed to terms on a contract extension for Kendrick Perkins, the 6-foot-10 center acquired via trade with Boston last Thursday, The Oklahoman has learned.
Terms of the deal were not immediately known, but Perkins is eligible for a four-year extension. Perkins earlier this season had turned down a four-year offer worth approximately $22 million from the Celtics.

With the two sides agreeing to a deal now, the risk of Perkins leaving the Thunder as an unrestricted free agent this summer has been removed.

Perkins said in his introductory press conference Saturday that he wanted to be in Oklahoma City for “the long haul.”

“I hope I can be here,” Perkins said. “I (want to) be here. I couldn’t find a better situation for myself. I really want to be here. It’s just a great organization.”
-DM-

Kraut N Beer
03-01-2011, 12:17 PM
In retrospect, that OKC-Celtics deal makes a lot more sense. Perkins and his agent were likely miffed over the lowball offer earlier in the season from the Celtics and were going to test free agency and get paid. Celtics wanted something back in return and got a decent young player in Green who is undersized but can put up numbers. Perkins is from Texas, so the move to OKC likely agrees with him on the family and friends side too.