PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Corey Brewer Near Buyout

Jared Sullinger
02-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Sources: Corey Brewer near buyout deal with New York Knicks - ESPN New York (http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6168236&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines)

<cite class="source"> </cite> The NBA's buyout market will soon have a surprise addition: New York Knicks (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=nyk)' Corey Brewer (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3191/corey-brewer).

The Knicks and Brewer are closing in on a buyout agreement that will make the former Minnesota swingman a free agent, sources close to the situation told ESPN.com.
Because Brewer will be officially released before March 1, he's eligible to play in the playoffs with another team.

Sources say Boston, San Antonio, Oklahoma City and Dallas are among the teams with the most interest in Brewer, who joined the Knicks only last week as part of the Carmelo Anthony (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1975/carmelo-anthony) deal.

The Celtics had previously tried to acquire Brewer from Minnesota before the Anthony trade went through.

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.

Follow Marc Stein on Twitter: @stein_line_HQ (http://twitter.com/stein_line_HQ)

Kstat
02-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Unless the Knicks have someone really good in mind, I don't get this move. Brewer is a top-notch perimeter defender.

PacersFan1991
02-28-2011, 06:29 PM
Stupid decision by the Knicks.

Speed
02-28-2011, 06:32 PM
So March 1st is the deadline to be eligible for the playoffs...

I guess we'll know about TJ by midnight tonight (2/28), right?

cdash
02-28-2011, 06:39 PM
I haven't watched Brewer enough to have an opinion on this, so I'll ask: Is Corey Brewer a better perimeter defender than Brandon Rush? His reputation seems to be higher around the league. Please explain, because I honestly don't know.

xIndyFan
02-28-2011, 06:53 PM
corey brewer was one of the guys i missed on big time. i thought he was going to be a real good player, but that has not been the case. brewer has just been a guy that can't shoot. :o :sigh:

BringJackBack
02-28-2011, 06:59 PM
I haven't watched Brewer enough to have an opinion on this, so I'll ask: Is Corey Brewer a better perimeter defender than Brandon Rush? His reputation seems to be higher around the league. Please explain, because I honestly don't know.

He's a better defender and he can get chasedown blocks compared to Rush, but his halfcourt offense is so terrible that he's not worth playing. Only thing he does well on offense is transition.

At least Rush can stand in the corner and hit threes, but Brewer is just completely nonexistant most of the time.

Kstat
02-28-2011, 07:04 PM
He's got Rush's body but he's longer and more athletic. Problem is he's abysmal offensively. There's a reason he's called "the drunken dribbler.'

Jared Sullinger
02-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Brewer's length is an illusion brought on by his Ethiopian build. His wingspan and standing reach are average-at-best for his height/position. Rush's measurements were superior despite being over an inch shorter.

Kstat
02-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Ok, then he's simply waaaay more athletic. Whether he's really longer or he just appears that way, he's an amazing athlete and a very good defender.

If he had even Brandon Rush's offensive skills, he'd be an impact player.

Wylder1324
02-28-2011, 07:49 PM
Of all the teams that are supposedly interested I think SA or Boston are most likely.....I really like him SA backing up Jefferson at the SF position. Dallas jsut picked up Sasha again and are plenty stacked at the SG/SF spots I don't see them picking him up.....OKC is also pretty stocked in those positions....Boston & SA both have enough shooters to compliment a guy like Brewer who brings other specialities to the table.....Im crossing my fingers for the Spurs as they are my fav team out west.

Hicks
02-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Brandon Rush is actually pretty athletic himself. I'd be shocked if Brewer is far moreso. Brandon just plays conservatively, but he's actually quite capable when he wants to be. Defensively, he can help defend the rim as if you have a second center in the game.

Kstat
02-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Brewer is far more athletic than %99 of the NBA. It's nothing against Rush.

King Tuts Tomb
02-28-2011, 08:11 PM
Corey Brewer is 6'9" and 190 pounds. Kevin Durant is considered a skinny guy and he's listed at 6'9" 230. It's gotta be hard to play in this league being that thin.

bulldog
02-28-2011, 08:22 PM
Apparently they also cut Azubuike (sp?). What in the world are they up to?

pacer4ever
02-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Apparently they also cut Azubuike (sp?). What in the world are they up to?

They want TJ

Trophy
02-28-2011, 08:25 PM
Brewer is decent young player and would serve a young team well.

He fell out of the rotation in Minnesota, but can probably wind up with another young team in need of a wing in the rotation like Charlotte.

Trophy
02-28-2011, 08:27 PM
They want TJ

I saw they were interested in a PG, but I didn't know they were interested in TJ.

TJ would be a decent player backing up Chauncey if they decide to move Douglas to the 2.

Major Cold
02-28-2011, 08:31 PM
He is as good as a Spur.

vnzla81
03-01-2011, 02:50 PM
I think is funny that contenders are fighting for a defensive minded player with no offense, we have a similar player that has a better offense and is over 40% efficient from the three point line and still people want to trade him for a bag of chips. :confused:

BornReady
03-01-2011, 02:53 PM
do we want Brewer if we buyout TJ? :D

cdash
03-01-2011, 02:55 PM
I think is funny that contenders are fighting for a defensive minded player with no offense, we have a similar player that has a better offense and is over 40% efficient from the three point line and still people want to trade him for a bag of chips. :confused:

Equally as puzzling is why New York got rid of him in the first place. They are fringe contenders (or at least they think they are) and could use a guy like that. Obviously he's an incredibly poor fit in the no defense, heavy three point offense that D'Antoni runs, but still he could have been useful.

xIndyFan
03-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Corey Brewer is 6'9" and 190 pounds. Kevin Durant is considered a skinny guy and he's listed at 6'9" 230. It's gotta be hard to play in this league being that thin.

according to his pre-draft camp measurements, brewer is 6-6.75 and 185.

:iagree: rush>>>brewer.

the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. :laugh:

naptownmenace
03-01-2011, 03:24 PM
I wouldn't mind getting Azubuike if he's healthy. He's probably not considering he hasn't played all season but he can flat out shoot the basketball and was a decent defender as well.

I also wouldn't mind going after Brewer but doubt he would be much better than Dhantay Jones or PG for that matter.

Jared Sullinger
03-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Twitter / Alex Kennedy: Corey Brewer has narrowed ... (http://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/42694831461498880)

Corey Brewer has narrowed down his options to Boston, San Antonio and Dallas, according to a league source.

DemonHunter1105
03-01-2011, 06:42 PM
I obviously like Brandon a lot more than Brewer. The reason teams are lined up to get him is because he is being bought out.

If Brandon was bought out for whatever reason, you can bet your life that any of the top teams in the league would do everything they could to sign him even if that means letting another player go.

Justin Tyme
03-01-2011, 06:49 PM
I wouldn't mind getting Azubuike if he's healthy. He's probably not considering he hasn't played all season but he can flat out shoot the basketball and was a decent defender as well.

I've always liked Keleena. He's a hardnose type player that can play numerous positions. Besides he went to the U of K. ;)