PDA

View Full Version : Griffin won dunk contest an hour before contest?

pacerDU
02-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Found this on Hoops Hype:

http://benmaller.com/2011/02/blake-griffin-couldnt-lose-slam-dunk-contest/

Apparently the NBA sent out an itinerary for All Star Saturday stating that Blake Griffin was the winner of the dunk contest...over an hour before the actual contest took place.

Now I'm not necessarily taking too much out of this as miss-prints and mistakes do happen, but it does add a bit of fuel to the fire for those claiming the contest was rigged.

I thought it was a great contest, where all 4 dunkers could have won. I personally felt McGee should've taken the crown and I think Ibaka and Derozan both had better dunks at points than Griffin did. Ibaka's 45 points for the free-throw line dunk was a joke and I think Derozan pulled off the best non-prop dunks of any of them.

I don't think Griffin winning was a stretch - he had some awesome dunks (even though I think the car dunk at the end was WAY overrated). Like I said, I think any of the 4 could've won. However it does make you think, especially when you read the "Facts about Blake Griffin on All-Star Weekend" section at the bottom of the page.

BRushWithDeath
02-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Griffin won the contest more than a month before the contest when he agreed to do it.

He didn't deserve to win but there was not way he wasn't going to.

Jared Sullinger
02-28-2011, 02:17 PM
If that's true it's quite interesting.

Gold
02-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Wow. Very shady.

LetsTalkPacers
02-28-2011, 02:49 PM
no surprise

Aw Heck
02-28-2011, 02:59 PM
A lot of times, PR departments will prepare press releases ahead of time. For example, before the draft, each team will have around 8 or so press releases for 8 different players ready to go. It saves them time afterwards and allows them to get press releases out quickly.

Just throwing this possibility out there....

It could be that in this case, they prepared those documents ahead of time with each dunker listed as the 2011 Slam Dunk champion. Maybe one with Blake Griffin just happened to get out.

Or not. I don't know. Although it wouldn't surprise me if the dunk contest was rigged. That dunk contest a couple years ago with Howard and Robinson, where Howard had the phone booth was especially fishy. What, are they going to go to all this trouble to prepare this stuff and not use it?

BringJackBack
02-28-2011, 03:11 PM
It's all advertising. Kia wouldn't let Blake dunk over their Kia Optima if that dunk wasn't going to win the contest.

Psyren
02-28-2011, 03:21 PM
As said before, he won the moment he agreed to participate.

He's just too popular, and has too many fans. It was pretty much impossible for him to not win. All he had to do was be there.

DocHolliday
02-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Nothing in the NBA has ever been anything less than 100% fair, honest and totally unbiased. I refuse to believe otherwise.

huber14
02-28-2011, 03:43 PM
The NBA is being ran like pro wrestling. Its all scripted.

thewholefnshow31
02-28-2011, 04:29 PM
As said before, he won the moment he agreed to participate.

He's just too popular, and has too many fans. It was pretty much impossible for him to not win. All he had to do was be there.

This is the truth.

Griffin is the next big star the NBA promotes. Why in the world would they want some guy like McGee win the dunk contest. They want Griffin to win so they can promote him again and use his "crazy" dunk to promote things like the car.

presto123
02-28-2011, 04:32 PM
It's all advertising. Kia wouldn't let Blake dunk over their Kia Optima if that dunk wasn't going to win the contest.

Yeah...and now there's a KIA commercial with Blake doing that dunk. Sounds like a conspiracy to me. Makes you wonder just how hard it would be for a small market team to win the title. On a side note: Does anybody else think McRoberts could have been right there will all those guys in the contest? That dunk he had in a game(Jazz game?) recently was about as good as anything in the contest.

ksuttonjr76
02-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Are you all serious? Kenny Smith sold the last dunk with his commentary and antics, but McGee didn't exacly bring down the house with his final dunk. I do believe that DeRonza and Ibke should have gotten higher scores, but I thought the best dunker did win. I was more disappointed that McGee didn't have better final round dunks.

rock747
02-28-2011, 05:06 PM
Like i've said before, NBA is the least authentic professional sports league. It is entertainment above everything else.

Trophy
02-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Like i've said before, NBA is the least authentic professional sports league. It is entertainment above everything else.

It's gotten to be really commercial with LeBron all full of himself and players not being competitive like they used to be by signing with other teams with stars.

I enjoy watching good competitive basketball. Not Harlem Globetrotter entertainment like the Heat.

It was a lot more competitive not too long ago.

pacer4ever
02-28-2011, 07:37 PM
It's gotten to be really commercial with LeBron all full of himself and players not being competitive like they used to be by signing with other teams with stars.

It was a lot more competitive not too long ago.

Not really back in the 90s and 80s there were about 5-6 teams who were good others had no shot. Thats when the NBA was most popular also.

Trophy
02-28-2011, 07:48 PM
Not really back in the 90s and 80s there were about 5-6 teams who were good others had no shot. Thats when the NBA was most popular also.

I agree, but I feel like once LeBron was drafted and then gave himself the face of the NBA, it got to be a lot more commercial.

Especially since he signed with the Heat to make that almost like an All-Star team.

A player like Kevin Durant is how every star in this league should be. They're loyal to their own team no matter where the location is.

They shouldn't give players this much freedom to do whatever they want and sign where ever they want.

Most leagues these days are pretty commercial.

BringJackBack
02-28-2011, 07:49 PM
I thought it was more 'commercial' with Iverson/TMac/Marbury around, but maybe that's just me.

pacer4ever
02-28-2011, 07:50 PM
I agree, but I feel like once LeBron was drafted and then gave himself the face of the NBA, it got to be a lot more commercial.

Especially since he signed with the Heat to make that almost like an All-Star team.

A player like Kevin Durant is how every star in this league should be. They're loyal to their own team no matter where the location is.

They shouldn't give players this much freedom to do whatever they want and sign where ever they want.

so you want them to be treated like slaves to where they are drafted? You can hate the man all you want but he wants to win which I respect.

Trophy
02-28-2011, 07:56 PM
so you want them to be treated like slaves to where they are drafted? You can hate the man all you want but he wants to win which I respect.

Uh no.

What just gets me mad is that LeBron is all about himself.

That whole hour decision on ESPN wasn't right.

Just sign your contract.

PacerDude
02-28-2011, 09:25 PM

What I find funny is that Kia is the official car of the NBA.

Think about that.

OK - I think it's funny .......................

Trophy
02-28-2011, 09:31 PM
The fans voted 68% for Blake.

Kuq_e_Zi91
02-28-2011, 09:34 PM
The voting did end close between Blake and McGee.

51% to 49%, IIRC.

Yeah, and Bush won Florida.

Trophy
02-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Yeah, and Bush won Florida.

I watched the the end of the contest again and the margin was bigger.

Blake had more than I thought.

I think the 2010 Dunk Contest finished a lot closer.

sportfireman
02-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Are you all serious? Kenny Smith sold the last dunk with his commentary and antics, but McGee didn't exacly bring down the house with his final dunk. I do believe that DeRonza and Ibke should have gotten higher scores, but I thought the best dunker did win. I was more disappointed that McGee didn't have better final round dunks.

So you really believe McGee couldn't come up with a better dunk than his final dunk? I believe McGee was "ordered" to do a simple, unspectacular, not flashy dunk so Griffin could win. All McGee's dunks were great except the last one...... he lost on purpose. IMO

KevinB
02-28-2011, 11:52 PM
The fact that the NBA is shoving Griffen down our throats could be a good thing for all those hoping to get Gordon in a Pacer uniform. It's pretty clear that there is no one else on the Clippers roster other than Griffen, or at least that is what we are being led to believe. Hopefully Gordon gets sick of it, and wants out.

rock747
03-01-2011, 03:16 PM
So you really believe McGee couldn't come up with a better dunk than his final dunk? I believe McGee was "ordered" to do a simple, unspectacular, not flashy dunk so Griffin could win. All McGee's dunks were great except the last one...... he lost on purpose. IMO

Interesting take on it..

Pacergeek
03-01-2011, 03:31 PM
of course it was rigged. how else could you explain Kia getting on board with the "final" dunk. If the show wasn't fixed, the Kia dunk would have been Blakes first dunks

Lord Helmet
03-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Anyone seen the ****ty Kia commercial featuring Blake's AMAZING DUNK?

Stern is a tool.

oxxo
03-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Yea I knew before the contest even started that Blake Griffin was the winner.

Sad thing is he was probably the worst overall out of everyone there. His first was decent, the rest were mediocre dunks. The Kia one was something that happens in game all the time (other than the choir and the car).

imbtyler
03-01-2011, 07:33 PM

McGee said that one of the other dunkers had taken his last dunk. In a warmup video on YouTube, he was shown grabbing a piece of paper out of the net with his teeth before dunking. I'd say it was that one, but it also could have been either of the dunks off the side of the backboard.

pacer4ever
03-01-2011, 11:19 PM
thats Stern for you

SMosley21
02-18-2013, 09:44 PM
Seems kind of fitting to bring this back up, after this past Saturday's contest.

The tnt cameras showed Nick Cannon was handed the results of the "vote" while there was still time left to vote. They picked their winner, and that's not to say Ross didn't deserve it, but the fan "vote" was clearly not legit.

SMosley21
02-18-2013, 09:53 PM
Another little nugget of information...

The kid Terrance Ross jumped over was the son of the CEO of Twitter (the biggest form of publicity for All-Star weekend).

rock747
02-19-2013, 04:59 PM
Indiana Pacers ‏@Pacers
If Gerald Green advanced to the championship round, what would his dunk have been? He showed us after practice today. Video coming soon...
s