PDA

View Full Version : Murphy Reaches Buyout Agreement

pacer4ever
02-28-2011, 02:11 AM
Troy Murphy has reached an agreement on a buyout with the Warriors, which is expected to be finalized on Monday.

Murphy is expected to choose between the Celtics and Heat after clearing waivers, according to Marc Stein. The Lakers and Knicks have not inquired about Murphy.

Portland also expressed interest, but the Celtics appear to be the favorite.

Via Tim Kawakami/Mercury News (via Twitter)
Golden State Warriors, Boston Celtics, Orlando Magic, New York Knicks, NBA, NBA Signing Rumor, NBA Misc Rumor, NBA Waiver
Read the Full StoryDiscussSend FeedbackBuy Tickets

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/211567/Murphy_Reaches_Buyout_Agreement#ixzz1FEP2WkXv

dal9
02-28-2011, 05:07 AM
kendrick perkins defense : troy murphy defense

=

jim thorpe : martin gramatica

BringJackBack
02-28-2011, 07:42 AM
All of the Golden State fans around the world just got a big weight lifted off their shoulders.

Pacerized
02-28-2011, 10:10 AM
How we'll see Murphy used with a contender is how he should have been used here for the past 3+ years. Spot minutes as a specialty player off the bench.

ksuttonjr76
02-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Honestly, I can see him going to Miami. He can replace and/or backup Big Z at the center, plus he gives them better defensive rebounding. As much as I hate to say it, his 3PT shooting will pull the opposing center from the middle which will allow Wade and Lebron to attack the paint a little bit more. IMHO, I believe this will be Boston's last year at being a contender, unless Anige makes some crazy offseason moves.

Brad8888
02-28-2011, 10:52 AM
The first thing Murphy probably said after getting his buyout would likely have been "I'm going to Disney!!!!!"

I hope he goes to the Heat so that our Animal Crackers might get a chance to go against him in the first round, but I believe that Orlando is a better fit for him because SVG already runs a similar system to what we had here, and with an actual interior presence, Murphy's weaknesses won't be nearly as exposed there.

ksuttonjr76
02-28-2011, 10:58 AM
The first thing Murphy probably said after getting his buyout would likely have been "I'm going to Disney!!!!!"

I hope he goes to the Heat so that our Animal Crackers might get a chance to go against him in the first round, but I believe that Orlando is a better fit for him because SVG already runs a similar system to what we had here, and with an actual interior presence, Murphy's weaknesses won't be nearly as exposed there.

Forgot about Orlando. Van Gundy does have a better system for a stretch-4.

Gamble1
02-28-2011, 11:00 AM
After we buy out Ford I wouldn't mind resigning him.

bellisimo
02-28-2011, 11:04 AM
After we buy out Ford I wouldn't mind resigning him.

for the sanity of the board...i would....i would mind it greatly...

Gamble1
02-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Sorry I just needed a good laugh this morning.

CableKC
02-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Honestly, I can see him going to Miami. He can replace and/or backup Big Z at the center, plus he gives them better defensive rebounding. As much as I hate to say it, his 3PT shooting will pull the opposing center from the middle which will allow Wade and Lebron to attack the paint a little bit more. IMHO, I believe this will be Boston's last year at being a contender, unless Anige makes some crazy offseason moves.
I want to play whichever Team that Murphy signs with....preferably the Heat...a Bosh / Murphy Frontcourt is as soft as day old butter left on the counter.

CableKC
02-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Forgot about Orlando. Van Gundy does have a better system for a stretch-4.
Murphy needs to go to a Team that has a dominant Center that can control the paint all by himself.....the Celtics don't have that any more now that that they have traded away Perkins....and the Heat just have Bosh/BigZ/JoelAnthony.

With Rashard Lewis gone and the PF rotation consisting of Hedo/Bass....I would think that it would simply make sense for him to go to Orlando.

If he goes to Boston...I can see KG thinking to himself....."the FO traded away the toughest Center that can guard Dwight and they decided to sign a tub of margarine that can hit the 3pt shot? :banghead:"

TinManJoshua
02-28-2011, 01:22 PM
I want to play whichever Team that Murphy signs with....preferably the Heat...a Bosh / Murphy Frontcourt is as soft as day old butter left on the patio of your Phoenix condo.

fyp

Mackey_Rose
02-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Murphy's skills are definitely ideally suited to contributing off the bench for a team like Boston, Miami, or Orlando.

However, if you are one of those teams, how do you justify signing him to your team? You're already a winning team, trying to win a championship, and to get over the hump you bring in a guy who couldn't possibly care any less about winning as long as he gets his numbers?

I think it sends the wrong message.

vnzla81
02-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Murphy's skills are definitely ideally suited to contributing off the bench for a team like Boston, Miami, or Orlando.

However, if you are one of those teams, how do you justify signing him to your team? You're already a winning team, trying to win a championship, and to get over the hump you bring in a guy who couldn't possibly care any less about winning as long as he gets his numbers?

I think it sends the wrong message.

I don't think the fans know he sucks, they see his amazing numbers from last year and get exited.

Mackey_Rose
02-28-2011, 02:53 PM
I don't think the fans know he sucks, they see his amazing numbers from last year and get exited.

Maybe the fans don't, but I meant justifying it to his new teammates. They know.

CableKC
02-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Maybe the fans don't, but I meant justifying it to his new teammates. They know.
Let's not exaggerate the impact and # of minutes that Murphy is going to get here.....on whatever Team that he is playing on...his role will likely be limited to being the "big guy that stands at the top of the key waiting for somebody faster then him to pass it to him on a fastbreak while stealing rebounds away from other Players".

In crunch time for the Celtics, I can guarantee that unless they need a 3pt shot to win the game....I could see Doc Rivers looking past Murphy and over to Glen Davis to score a point or pull down a rebound.

This is Troy "the turnstile" Murphy that we are talking about here...not Rasheed Wallace. I don't see him as a key addition here that will put ANY of the 3 Teams over any other Team. I will be stunned if we look back a few years from now and say that it was the signing of Murphy that made the biggest difference to any Team that won the championship.

Mackey_Rose
02-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Let's not exaggerate the impact and # of minutes that Murphy is going to get here.....on whatever Team that he is playing on...his role will likely be limited to being the "big guy that stands at the top of the key waiting for somebody faster then him to pass it to him on a fastbreak while stealing rebounds away from other Players".

This is Troy "the turnstile" Murphy that we are talking about here...not Rasheed Wallace. I don't see him as a key addition here that will put ANY of the 3 Teams over any other Team. I will be stunned if we look back a few years from now and say that it was the signing of Murphy that made the biggest difference to any Team that won the championship.

In case you couldn't tell, I would also be extremely shocked.

I would not be at all surprised if we look back a few years from now and say that it was the signing of Murphy that prevented a team from competing for a championship.

ksuttonjr76
02-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Ummmmm....Troy Murphy was putting up good numbers BEFORE he came to Indiana. Just because we didn't like him here in Indiana, that DOESN'T mean that he won't be a good fit somewhere else. Heck, with the previous coach fallout, you could almost argue that he wasn't proper fit for the system at the time, and could have been a much better player.

owl
02-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Troy FINALLY breaks through to the playoffs. That alone makes his team worth watching.
Will Dunleavy also break through? Stay tuned.

avoidingtheclowns
03-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Murphy chooses Boston AND Miami apparently.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5058/5489423174_47f5df2c85.jpg (http://twitter.com/#!/STEIN_LINE_HQ/status/42624427585843200)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5137/5488826981_ce58693153.jpg (http://twitter.com/#!/SpearsNBAYahoo/status/42624686558949376)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5091/5489423218_772c305f73.jpg (http://twitter.com/#!/STEIN_LINE_HQ/status/42626858180808705)

Kemo
03-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Points of interest to note:

Murphy is an Irish surname ...
Troy Murphy played college ball for Notre Dame "The Fighting Irish"

So in conclusion .. If I were a gamblin' man ... I'd bet that Troy goes to the Boston "Celtics" .. (see where I'm going with this) ..It's only logical..

I believe Troy would thrive and be the best fit in Boston as a roleplayer who can really help that team in his role..

naptownmenace
03-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Murphy will fit in well with Boston. The only thing they really were missing from the bench was rebounding and shooting and that's the only 2 things he does.

Good fit overall. He's gonna give Doc fits on the defensive end.

naptownmenace
03-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Here's the official story.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=6170568&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

The East's top two teams chased Murphy hard, seeing him as this season's P.J. Brown in terms of being a difference-making big man.

I never thought I would live to see the day that Troy Murphy would be compared to PJ Brown. PJ Brown's career is rolling in it's grave right now.

Speed
03-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Maybe we'll get to see a JO/Murphy frontcourt... cringing.

pacer4ever
03-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Yepp Celtics thats what I had been hearing for a week.

I Love P
03-01-2011, 01:30 PM
I feel like this is a slap in the Heat's face, sort of like...I have a better chance of winning a championship with Boston that I would with you.

Go West.

wintermute
03-01-2011, 02:25 PM
It is funny how Murph is all of sudden this difference making big man for two contenders. Oh well, we did get value for him so we can't complain.

Anyway, congrats to Murphy for breaking his playoff-less streak. Hopefully Dun does it this year too. He should be back before the playoffs right?

Hicks
03-01-2011, 03:06 PM
He wasn't good enough to play for the New Jersey Nets, now he's the 'missing piece' for Boston?

:laugh:

I could see him hitting some big 3's for them, but otherwise he's still detrimental.

michealwilliams4
03-01-2011, 03:34 PM
He wasn't good enough to play for the New Jersey Nets, now he's the 'missing piece' for Boston?

:laugh:

I could see him hitting some big 3's for them, but otherwise he's still detrimental.

Add in that Mike Bibby wasn't good enough to play for a playoff contender, and now a playoff contender suddenly thinks he's good enough to play for them, and it amazes me how the NBA works sometimes. :laugh: