PDA

View Full Version : What specifically has Tyler improved on from last year?

BringJackBack
02-27-2011, 04:05 PM
Just very specific talk. Does he set better screens, shoot better, defend better? I'll let some of you guys reply and then I'll chime in.

What does he do better from last year?

Gold
02-27-2011, 04:11 PM
EDIT:Wait, how did I read josh? lol

Hansbrough I have absolutely no idea because he barely played. He seems about the same.

smj887
02-27-2011, 04:15 PM
He's done really well avoiding crazy inner ear infections/vertigo IMO.

luis3ep
02-27-2011, 04:15 PM
He looked lost on Offense last season and early this year. He's more comfortable now, and isn't afraid to shoot the ball or drive it in.

pacer4ever
02-27-2011, 04:19 PM
He needs to be setting better picks and pass better thoes would make him a really good all around player.

Pacerfan
02-27-2011, 04:20 PM
As the year has progressed he has done a much better job at picking his spots. This may also be due to him getting better at passing because now when he doesn't have a good shot he can pass out. But he knows what he can and can't hit jump shot wise and does a better job at driving to the basket without there being defenders hanging off of him.

Sookie
02-27-2011, 04:23 PM
I think he's more under control.

Other than that, we haven't seen much of him. He's got to defend better, rebound better, pick his spots better. But he's wildly effective with his hustle.

BringJackBack
02-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Pros:

-I think Tyler is better with his back to the basket this year. His half hook looks very weird, but he has to be hitting like 60% of his shots with his back to the basket.

-Tyler's jumpshot is ridiculously improved. He used to brick wide open jumpers, and now he is hitting them with hands in his face.

-Tyler has a very solid turnaround jumpshot.

-Tyler is getting better at defensive awareness every game.

-He's been more healthy

-He is showing more emotion and it rubs off on the other fellas.

-He isn't getting blocked as much. Not even close.

Cons:

-He is having less of those, "omgzz Tylah iz a beast he gots lyk 7 off rebs and putback dunkz mad hustle," moments. He still has them, cue the game vs. Detroit, but last year he had those moments all the time.

I dunno if this is a pro or a con:

-He doesn't play like a chicken with his head cut off as much anymore. He's under more control. That can be a good thing or a bad thing, but last year it was almost always a good thing because we were very soft last year.

vnzla81
02-27-2011, 04:33 PM
His jump shot is money and he is learning to trow the one handed awkward shot.

AesopRockOn
02-27-2011, 05:08 PM
Face up jumper and the pick and pop. Also improved on pissing off the other teams' bigs.

PacerHound
02-27-2011, 05:18 PM
Learning how to get to the offensive boards when initially blocked out versus giving up and running back down the floor because of being blocked out. Learning the Larry Bird method of rebounding offensive boards and picking up some stuff it seems to me from Jeff Foster along the same line.

Driving the ball and getting to the free throw line more.

Shooting the jump shot and hitting it more consistently generally speaking.

Kid Minneapolis
02-27-2011, 05:28 PM
He's fantastic at gathering loose balls... he's a good rebounder. He's a good screen-setter. He brings energy. He draws contact on the front-line and hits free throws. He's hitting his outside shot. He runs the floor well.

I think he's improved at all those things this year. We knew that's what he was when he came in, and there is a very valuable need for those skills in the NBA.

BlueNGold
02-27-2011, 06:41 PM
He has settled his offensive game down and now picks his spots. This has resulted in a significant jump with his FG% which was the greatest knock on his game last year.

Otherwise I don't see a significant difference. Yes, his defense has gradually improved and he's fouling a bit less...but these developments are minor improvements compared to his shot selection improvement.

PR07
02-27-2011, 06:42 PM
I feel like his midrange jumper is much better, and I think in general he's more poised. While he always will play like a wildman out there, I think he's playing like a smarter wildman, and the game has slowed down for him a bit.

xBulletproof
02-27-2011, 06:56 PM
Not really a fair question. How can you improve much when doctors don't allow you to workout or do anything until training camp for your second season is almost there? He's much more comfortable though. You could tell he wasn't right last year just from his FT%.

Next year is when you should see some improvement. He will actually have time to work on things this offseason.

PacersPride
02-27-2011, 07:25 PM
kinda difficult to answer since he only played 29 games last season. things i would like to see hansbrough improve on for next season is:

*pump faking then driving to the basket. he is very quick for a PF, though undersized. he does pump then drive from time to time but not consistently, he will get fouled the majority of the time.

* continue to improve on his jump shot from 15 in. once his jumper is money consistently, the pump fake and drive will benefit him even more.

* i have no idea what hansbroughs ceiling is, maybe a poormans boozer.? but i would like to see him get rippped up. i think he will get stronger.. i envision hansbrough in 3-5 years with 25lbs more pounds of muscle and experience and think it would be fun to see dale davis and tyler hansbrough play together on the pacers in their primes. not built like antonio was, but similar.

* his passing could improve but he will nvr be mcrob.

one thing that surprised me about hansbrough when i did see him play last year was how much athleticsm he has. i was not a fan of his at unc, and i immediately thought hansbro would be the replacement for foster, but foster nvr has had tylers ability to get up and dunk.

i was not a fan of tyler being selected but i knew he was a bird guy, guts and hustle and willing to get bloody. ive been a fan since watching him play last year, love the guys tenacity on the court.

the one area hansbrough will nvr improve on his height, if he were 6'10 like Foster, no doubts he would be an all-star in this league.

xIndyFan
02-27-2011, 07:43 PM
. . . He's much more comfortable though. You could tell he wasn't right last year just from his FT%.

Next year is when you should see some improvement. He will actually have time to work on things this offseason.

comfortable is a good word. he is starting to see more of the game, i think.

Kid Minneapolis
02-27-2011, 07:54 PM
the one area hansbrough will nvr improve on his height, if he were 6'10 like Foster, no doubts he would be an all-star in this league.

He's 6'9". 1" isn't gonna kill his chances at being good. The myth is he's undersized. Fact is, he's the same height and 5 lbs heavier than Antonio Davis was. His arms are huge. He plays with a controlled fire that is rare. The thing with Tyler isn't that he's HUGE... it's that he's got massive heart and motor. He will flat-out out-battle people his size and even larger for rebounds, loose balls, etc. He needs to learn Jeff Foster's savvy on the defensive end, but he's already a superior offensive player to Jeff.

I've been saying all along -- he's Jeff Foster with an offensive game. That is nothing to sneeze at.

Hicks
02-27-2011, 07:59 PM
It's no myth. I don't know how he's listed at 6'9". He has to be 6'8.

BlueNGold
02-27-2011, 08:27 PM
I've been saying all along -- he's Jeff Foster with an offensive game. That is nothing to sneeze at.

Obviously I'm a Tyler fan. But Foster is a man. A true, stud big man who can guard true centers.

Tyler is more like Jeff Foster's aggressive, muscular little brother who can put it in the basket.

xIndyFan
02-27-2011, 08:59 PM
draft express has tyler at 6-8.25. that plus his lack of hops limits his possibilities as a PF. but he has nice skills. and best of all seems to be seeing more of the floor when he plays than before.

he does seem to be complaining more to the officials. wonder how that's working for him?

xIndyFan
02-27-2011, 09:01 PM
Obviously I'm a Tyler fan. But Foster is a man. A true, stud big man who can guard true centers.

Tyler is more like Jeff Foster's aggressive, muscular little brother who can put it in the basket.

:iagree: pacers need more guys like foster. be nice if one of them could shoot though. :laugh:

Trophy
02-27-2011, 09:22 PM
draft express has tyler at 6-8.25. that plus his lack of hops limits his possibilities as a PF. but he has nice skills. and best of all seems to be seeing more of the floor when he plays than before.

he does seem to be complaining more to the officials. wonder how that's working for him?

Tyler is definitely 6-9 to 6-10.

He, Josh, and Danny are about the same height.

xIndyFan
02-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Tyler is definitely 6-9 to 6-10.

He, Josh, and Danny are about the same height.

draft express pre-draft camp measurments

danny granger - 6-7.5
tyler hansbrough - 6-8.25
josh mcroberts - 6-8.75

basically an inch apart.

paul george - 6-7.75

heywoode
02-27-2011, 09:47 PM

I thanked all the above posts I agreed with, but wanted to quote this one. I agree with this, but I think his huge heart will give him a better opportunity to overcome his disadvantages. Love love love the guy, and hope he is a Pacer for a long time.

I also agree that he has been complaining more, but I was just remarking to myself within the last couple of days that Tyler does a pretty good job of getting to the line. I think it stems from the level of hustle and emotion he shows when he's playing. I think the refs generally are going to call more favorably for the players who are attacking and aggressive, and have the most energy. Tyler fills that bill, and even though he is still relatively a rookie, I feel like he DOES get to the line pretty well.

My only wish is that he would get the ball and drive to the lane MORE OFTEN. Good things will ALWAYS happen if our athletic and plenty capable players would simply use the talent they already have in a better way. Every player on our roster needs to be more aggressive taking the ball to the rack. Start setting league records for shots taken inside the paint in a regulation game, that sort of thing....you know, SMASHMOUTH basketball?? What happened to that?!

Kid Minneapolis
02-27-2011, 10:17 PM
I just don't get caught up on size. Barkley was like 6'6", played PF. Some guys don't fit in the height/weight stereotypes because of their intrinsic strengths. Tyler is one of 'em.

PacersPride
02-27-2011, 11:31 PM
I just don't get caught up on size. Barkley was like 6'6", played PF. Some guys don't fit in the height/weight stereotypes because of their intrinsic strengths. Tyler is one of 'em.

true, but height does determine the positions he can defend. if hansbro were 6'10 he would be able to effectively gaurd most centers in the league.

at 6'8 he will nvr be able to gaurd the dominant centers. in essence his height limits his versatility to only playing PF and not both the 4&5.

imagine Hansbro gaurding Hibbert, tylers only chance would be too keep Roy off the block, once Roy gets etablished he could shoot over him consistently.

its really the only knock i have on hansbro.

pacer4ever
02-28-2011, 12:57 AM
true, but height does determine the positions he can defend. if hansbro were 6'10 he would be able to effectively gaurd most centers in the league.

at 6'8 he will nvr be able to gaurd the dominant centers. in essence his height limits his versatility to only playing PF and not both the 4&5.

imagine Hansbro gaurding Hibbert, tylers only chance would be too keep Roy off the block, once Roy gets etablished he could shoot over him consistently.

its really the only knock i have on hansbro.

Tell that to Chuck Hayes 6"6 and a good defensive C.

PacersPride
02-28-2011, 02:02 AM
Tell that to Chuck Hayes 6"6 and a good defensive C.

i dont know the guys twitter account:)

Hayes may be an exception as was ben wallace but most championship teams have centers who are 6'10. kendrick perkins is 6'10 i believe, in the dale davis mold.

read again what i stated.

is chuck hayes a dominant center??

Peck
02-28-2011, 03:10 AM

Truth be told Chuck was really only about 6'4" tall probably 6'5" in shoes.

That is like thinking that Jeff is only 6'10". Maybe back in college but Jeff is pushing the 7' mark and has for years.

BringJackBack
02-28-2011, 06:39 AM
My only wish is that he would get the ball and drive to the lane MORE OFTEN. Good things will ALWAYS happen if our athletic and plenty capable players would simply use the talent they already have in a better way. Every player on our roster needs to be more aggressive taking the ball to the rack. Start setting league records for shots taken inside the paint in a regulation game, that sort of thing....you know, SMASHMOUTH basketball?? What happened to that?!

Oh yeah, this is my other beef with his game. He'll get blocked more often, but if he attacks hard more often it won't make our offense too easy to guard.

Especially if a softie like Chris Bosh or Boris Diaw is on him, post him up, spin, and ATTACK!

Kid Minneapolis
02-28-2011, 09:51 AM
I'd love Tyler to make it a personal goal each game to foul out the opposing team's entire front line. :)

Mackey_Rose
02-28-2011, 10:34 AM
He has settled his offensive game down and now picks his spots. This has resulted in a significant jump with his FG% which was the greatest knock on his game last year.

Otherwise I don't see a significant difference. Yes, his defense has gradually improved and he's fouling a bit less...but these developments are minor improvements compared to his shot selection improvement.

As others have mentioned already, I'm not sure how useful it is to compare Tyler from last year to anything that he is going to do in his career. Last year was just such an unusual situation, that I don't think anything from it will provide any meaningful comparisons.

However, since you mentioned it, I looked up his stats. I knew that his field goal percentage seemed a lot better, but I was shocked to see that he has actually attempted 1 less shot per game than he did last year. I have never watched a game this year and thought that he was leaving any shots out on the court. He's making the same number of field goals, just in 1 less attempts.

From watching the games, I think his shot selection still has a long way to go, but just from looking at the numbers there has been some serious improvement. He's still only shooting 44% on the season, but considering where he was at last year, yeah that's some major improvement.

PacersPride
02-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Truth be told Chuck was really only about 6'4" tall probably 6'5" in shoes.

That is like thinking that Jeff is only 6'10". Maybe back in college but Jeff is pushing the 7' mark and has for years.

draft express states Foster is 6'11. so its likely hansbro is 2.5 inches shorter than jeff.

Speed
02-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Sorry I haven't read through the entire thread yet.

However..

Tyler is so much better than last year or even better than earlier this year, imo.

Baseline turn around jumper and now a counter where he fakes the turn around and goes up and under drawing a foul.

19 foot jumper is money from the key.

Pick and pop exists now and is decent, it was non existent last year.

Defensive rotations are there, although late, sometimes.

He still is crazy aggressive, but more under control, which I did read someone said.

He's not constantly putting himself at risk, but still getting after it.

He still has quick feet when isolated so he doesn't get beat by shot creators off the dribble.

He still is strong defensively in the low post, but doesn't get the benefit of the call, yet.

He gets blocked when he reverts to the over the shoulder set shot hook thing he does, but its not his only option now.

So ya, he's much much better, imo. His #1 skill is still agressiveness and yes it's a skill. However with the stuff he's adding, he's showing me he's not just that.

I wish, he was a dominant rebounder, but neither of the Power Forwards are.

I wish, he had some positional flexibility, but he doesn't, he's pure PF.

I wish he was a better passer or at least reasonably so.

I wish he ran the break better and got in a lane full speed.

I wish he could finish left handed enough to keep defender honest.

I mean he has work to do, but I'm very please with what he's added in really a half of a year. It'll be interesting to see what he can do with a full off season to work on his game and skills. He's shown he can do it. He did it at Carolina when he added the jumper. He did in very limited work this year during the season, imo.

Again, my biggest fear was post concussion he'd either have to change his game which would make him less aggressive and way less effective or he'd keep playing recklessly and be injured all the time. He's figured out, so far, how to find a balance. I'm really pretty happy about that.

xIndyFan
02-28-2011, 03:53 PM
one additional thing tyler is better at this year than last. he is getting credit from the officials for having quick hands. last year every time he swiped at the ball it was called a foul. this year he has either learned how to defend without fouling or getting credit for having quick hands and not getting the foul called.

i really like tyler's quick hands. in that regard, he is like chris mullins.

MyFavMartin
02-28-2011, 04:01 PM
New coach.

lavell12
02-28-2011, 08:00 PM
I think we all should agree that he needs to improve his field goal percentage. A guy who plays inside shouldn't shoot 43%. Josh leads the team with 54% and he does shoot some threes. Yes Josh gets a lot of dunks but Tylers scoring is do to the amount of shots he takes not great offensive output.

BringJackBack
02-28-2011, 09:02 PM
I don't know where to put this, so I guess I will put it here.

Watching the ND vs. Villanova game, Ben Hansbrough dropped thirty and when he came out and the victory cigars game in, Tyler and their father were in attendance in tears and applauding him being very proud of him.. It was very touching. Just thought I would put that here since there isn't no where else to put it.

Really?
02-28-2011, 09:08 PM
I don't know where to put this, so I guess I will put it here.

Watching the ND vs. Villanova game, Ben Hansbrough dropped thirty and when he came out and the victory cigars game in, Tyler and their father were in attendance in tears and applauding him being very proud of him.. It was very touching. Just thought I would put that here since there isn't no where else to put it.

put it in the scouting thread like I did, lol would be a decent 2nd rd pick or free agent depending on how long he will last in the draft...

Trophy
02-28-2011, 09:11 PM
Tyler plays above his height on the offensive end.

He shows no fear against bigger centers in the paint.

He has the potential to become a better defender, but so far this season, I'm just happy he's healthy.

We couldn't really judge him last year because of the health issues he was dealing with.

Trophy
02-28-2011, 09:13 PM

danny granger - 6-7.5
josh mcroberts - 6-8.75

basically an inch apart.

paul george - 6-7.75

They definitely grew since being drafted because they're all at least an inch or two taller.

Danny at 6-9, Tyler at 6-9, Josh at 6-10, and Paul at 6-8.

BringJackBack
02-28-2011, 09:17 PM
I think Paul has grown an inch in a half or so since the summer.. He looks taller than most guys. In the beginning of the season I'd get him mixed up with Solo on the court at first glance.

Trophy
02-28-2011, 09:19 PM
I think Paul has grown an inch in a half or so since the summer.. He looks taller than most guys. In the beginning of the season I'd get him mixed up with Solo on the court at first glance.

He tweeted when he first joined the team that everyone kept calling him Solo.

beezer615
03-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Jump shooting. Whether the percentages have changed, he seems more confident.

naptownmenace
03-01-2011, 02:53 PM
kinda difficult to answer since he only played 29 games last season. things i would like to see hansbrough improve on for next season is:

*pump faking then driving to the basket. he is very quick for a PF, though undersized. he does pump then drive from time to time but not consistently, he will get fouled the majority of the time.

* continue to improve on his jump shot from 15 in. once his jumper is money consistently, the pump fake and drive will benefit him even more.

* i have no idea what hansbroughs ceiling is, maybe a poormans boozer.? but i would like to see him get rippped up. i think he will get stronger.. i envision hansbrough in 3-5 years with 25lbs more pounds of muscle and experience and think it would be fun to see dale davis and tyler hansbrough play together on the pacers in their primes. not built like antonio was, but similar.

* his passing could improve but he will nvr be mcrob.

one thing that surprised me about hansbrough when i did see him play last year was how much athleticsm he has. i was not a fan of his at unc, and i immediately thought hansbro would be the replacement for foster, but foster nvr has had tylers ability to get up and dunk.

i was not a fan of tyler being selected but i knew he was a bird guy, guts and hustle and willing to get bloody. ive been a fan since watching him play last year, love the guys tenacity on the court.

Good points. I was with you up until the following sentence.

I really think you are over estimating that one (1) inch height advantage of Jeff Foster. Hansbrough and Blake Griffin are the exact same height. Height and size sure helps but it isn't everything. Athleticism, lowerbody strength, good footwork, and positioning are more important.

One thing to add to Tyler's "work on" list should be his ball handling and post-face-up game. If he could learn to get to the basket off the dribble when he faces up, he could really be unstoppable.

Taterhead
03-02-2011, 03:11 AM
I want to see Tyler pass the ball better and play better team basketball. He gets tunnel vision and has a hard time slowing down and making good decisions at times. I love his hustle and effort he just needs to work on the mental aspect of the game.

BRushWithDeath
03-02-2011, 07:25 AM
I really think you are over estimating that one (1) inch height advantage of Jeff Foster.

Does anybody who regularly sees this team in person really think that Hansbrough is only an inch shorter than Foster?

I don't.

xIndyFan
03-02-2011, 11:04 AM

danny granger - 6-7.5
josh mcroberts - 6-8.75

basically an inch apart.

paul george - 6-7.75

They definitely grew since being drafted because they're all at least an inch or two taller.

Danny at 6-9, Tyler at 6-9, Josh at 6-10, and Paul at 6-8.

not trying to start a fight. just askin'. have you seen many games in person? i've noticed that the differences in height are not as noticeable on TV as they are at the game. tyler looks much shorter at home than away.

BlueNGold
03-03-2011, 07:17 PM
I think we all should agree that he needs to improve his field goal percentage. A guy who plays inside shouldn't shoot 43%. Josh leads the team with 54% and he does shoot some threes. Yes Josh gets a lot of dunks but Tylers scoring is do to the amount of shots he takes not great offensive output.

Teams treat Josh and Tyler very differently. They don't try to prevent Josh from scoring...which is a huge reason his FG% is higher. Teams know Tyler will go in and posterize you every single time he gets his hands on the ball, given the chance. The deal is that if you don't do a good job defending Tyler, he's getting an And-One on you...every time. That hurts the opposition big time, and they're not about to allow it...if they can stop him...which sometimes they really cannot.

This is really a big deal that could be exploited as Tyler matures, but Tyler has yet to learn how to pass. That's a big weakness to his game...but it's probably because he wants to score so much. Josh, however, is not physical, not as interested in scoring and almost always gets stripped going to the lane. The defense simply doesn't worry much about him. To them, he's like Foster.

rm1369
03-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Teams treat Josh and Tyler very differently. They don't try to prevent Josh from scoring...which is a huge reason his FG% is higher. Teams know Tyler will go in and posterize you every single time he gets his hands on the ball, given the chance. The deal is that if you don't do a good job defending Tyler, he's getting an And-One on you...every time. That hurts the opposition big time, and they're not about to allow it...if they can stop him...which sometimes they really cannot.

This is really a big deal that could be exploited as Tyler matures, but Tyler has yet to learn how to pass. That's a big weakness to his game...but it's probably because he wants to score so much. Josh, however, is not physical, not as interested in scoring and almost always gets stripped going to the lane. The defense simply doesn't worry much about him. To them, he's like Foster.

Reading PD recently it sounds like Josh shouldn't be on the roster and Tyler is ready for an all-star appearance. Teams are so worried about getting posterized by Tyler that they defend him to the point his FG % is in Iverson range? Really??

Josh plays within his abilities, Tyler doesn't - that's the difference in the FG%. Let's not pretend Tyler is getting double teams and Josh isn't guarded.