PDA

View Full Version : pacers gm David Morway Will explain the trade that wasn't/Podcast is already down

vnzla81
02-25-2011, 04:56 PM
JMV1070 #pacers gm David Morway at 5:15p today. Will explain the trade that wasn't and more.

vnzla81
02-25-2011, 05:05 PM
10 more minutes, here hoping that we get some inside info.

LA_Confidential
02-25-2011, 05:13 PM
Can you post some specifics. I'd appreciate it.

Heisenberg
02-25-2011, 05:21 PM
Hopefully he gives an update on TJ's situation

vnzla81
02-25-2011, 05:25 PM
I was posting in the wrong thread :blush:

vnzla81
02-25-2011, 05:26 PM
He can't name any players names.

He is saying that Memphis said that the deal was done when it wasn't

vnzla81
02-25-2011, 05:27 PM
He is saying that this whole idea of them being seating doing nothing and waiting until 3pm is just ridiculous

vnzla81
02-25-2011, 05:28 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He is saying that there was never a done deal because NO was out of the deal after 3 minutes

He is saying that couple assets were coming back from NO and they were going to help in the future, JMV is trying to get him to say if they were big but he not saying anything.

vnzla81
02-25-2011, 05:29 PM
He is saying that they made a call after 3pm but NO was getting out of the deal.

He is also saying that this idea of them needing a clock is crazy

croz24
02-25-2011, 05:30 PM
well morway, it does indeed sound like you missed the deadline. you had a deal done with memphis but wanted to add another team to make it a 3 team deal. you could have found a 3rd team to make sure the deal got done but you didn't because you ran pass the deadline. you got greedy thinking you could get more out of the deal by adding another team when you had a deal with memphis agreed to. your own fault.

Smoothdave1
02-25-2011, 05:30 PM
Morway mentioned a few things:

-- They had a deal agreed to, but New Orleans backed out a few minutes later before it was announced.

-- Took a shot at Kravitz and said that the Pacers did not bungle the trade and did not miss the deadline as it was New Orleans pulled out. Discussed that they did not miss the deadline whatsoever.

-- Discussed the trade policy how you call into a que and wait to learn what time your trade call will be announced

-- Said the Pacers were very aggressive in trading players

-- Mentioned that a lot of teams weren't looking at expiring deals this year because so many teams got under the cap last year

-- Mentioned the Pacers are looking for a scorer and they have a few names in mind and will continue to pursue this summer

-- Mentioned he cannot discuss other teams players, but that there were "assets coming back to the Pacers" in the proposed deals

-- Has spoken with Josh & Brandon and said it was not personal and a business

-- Mentioned that when they review players with baggage that they do careful evaluation to determine if the player will fit in

-- Was upset that people were taking shots at the Pacers for bungling the trade as they did not do so

-- Evaluating Ford and will make a decision later

vnzla81
02-25-2011, 05:31 PM
He is saying that they expend a lot of money and time in checking players backgrounds, and if they make a deal for a risk player they know what they are doing because they check everything related to the player.

vnzla81
02-25-2011, 05:32 PM
He sounds mad, because of what people are saying about the franchise.

vnzla81
02-25-2011, 05:33 PM
Hopefully he gives an update on TJ's situation

"TJ is still a Pacers" that is what he said.

BringJackBack
02-25-2011, 05:33 PM
Morway mentioned a few things:

-- They had a deal agreed to, but New Orleans backed out a few minutes later before it was announced.

-- Took a shot at Kravitz and said that the Pacers did not bungle the trade and did not miss the deadline as it was New Orleans pulled out. Discussed that they did not miss the deadline whatsoever.

-- Discussed the trade policy how you call into a que and wait to learn what time your trade call will be announced

-- Said the Pacers were very aggressive in trading players

-- Mentioned that a lot of teams weren't looking at expiring deals this year because so many teams got under the cap last year

-- Mentioned the Pacers are looking for a scorer and they have a few names in mind and will continue to pursue this summer

-- Mentioned he cannot discuss other teams players, but that there were "assets coming back to the Pacers"

-- Has spoken with Josh & Brandon and said it was not personal and a business

-- Mentioned that when they review players with baggage that they do careful evaluation to determine if the player will fit in

Everything said is very relieving.. Especially the bolded parts.

naptownmenace
02-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Thank you for the recap.

It's time to let it go. There's nothing that can be done at this point, the Pacers have a game tonight against UTAH, and Brandon and Josh are going to be key players the rest of the season.

Hopefully learning that he was expendable to the Pacers front office will light a fire under Brandon and we'll see him be a more aggressive scorer out on the floor. Josh will be just fine, he's been playing very well, and he will continue to play aggressively.

Sandman21
02-25-2011, 05:39 PM
They were going after either West or Landry from NO I think.....

vnzla81
02-25-2011, 05:40 PM
He mentioned that two players were coming back to indiana from NO, I wonder who they are.

croz24
02-25-2011, 05:42 PM
They were going after either West or Landry from NO I think.....

yes, they were very likely getting greedy. the pacers didn't need to use no as a 3rd team. nor did they need a 3rd team to even make the memphis pacers deal work. they wanted a 3rd team to find a pf to replace mcroberts. pacers got greedy and it backfired.

rexnom
02-25-2011, 05:44 PM
This needs to be our GM of the future.

BillS
02-25-2011, 05:45 PM
yes, they were very likely getting greedy. the pacers didn't need to use no as a 3rd team. nor did they need a 3rd team to even make the memphis pacers deal work. they wanted a 3rd team to find a pf to replace mcroberts. pacers got greedy and it backfired.

Who besides McRoberts was Memphis willing to take that would make the salaries work, then?

BringJackBack
02-25-2011, 05:45 PM
When Morway said "Scorer", a two or three came to mind and not a 4.. It sounded like a guy who could fill it up FAST and get red, red hot. Admittedly we're going to need this in the fourth quarter when we become a better team.

Realistically who do you guys think that he is talking about? It sounds to me like Jamal Crawford, but that's just me.

Personally I think he'd be a great fit for us. 20 ppg scorer and he can start UNTIL Paul George becomes the man. And yes he is a huge upgrade over Rush/Dunleavy.

Smoothdave1
02-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Everything said is very relieving.. Especially the bolded parts.

-- He said the Pacers were looking for a player who could create his own shot in looking for a scorer. As I mentioned before, he said the Pacers have a few names in mind and will be patient with their cap space.

This leads me to believe that the Pacers are targeting a 2. I think they like Brandon, but are not in love with Brandon. We have a lot of depth with guys like Dahntay, Dunleavy, Paul George, Granger, Rush, Posey and potentially Lance sharing time at the wing.

-- Said he has known J-Mac for a long time and it would have been very difficult to trade him. Mentioned that he will be a free agent this summer and will have a decision to make he suggested that there would be interest in J-Mac this summer.

This leads me to believe that the Pacers will want to keep J-Mac, but if a team comes and offers him something crazy, I think the Pacers may let him walk. However, I think the Pacers realize that they still may need help at the 4

-- As far as Ford, as was mentioned, Morway said "he's still a Pacer" and suggested that they will wait and see what the future holds.

I think TJ will be gone by the end of February and will likely sign with a possible contender. I think a team like Miami makes a lot of sense for TJ, as does Portland. For TJ's sake, this is an opportunity for him to try and win a ring, but also resurrect his NBA career and earn a future contract. I thought that I saw TJ tweeted that his father was in town. Perhaps helping him wrapping up things in Indy?

-- Acknowledged that they have high character players on the team, but when they review bringing in new players that they invest a lot of time and resources and weighing the pros and cons of bringing in a potential questionable player.

I got the feel that they were close to bringing in Mayo and had done their homework, a deal just didn't work out. With that said, I think they could explore another player this summer -- even if he has some baggage. Perhaps a guy like Zach Randolph? Mayo?

BringJackBack
02-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Haha, I just said that I thought he was talking about a 2. I think the Mayo talk will be brought back, but I don't have confidence that we will get him.

Jamal Crawford, Wilson Chandler, and OJ Mayo are the only guys I see being available that we want in the summer barring something unexpected happening.

vnzla81
02-25-2011, 05:50 PM
When Morway said "Scorer", a two or three came to mind and not a 4.. It sounded like a guy who could fill it up FAST and get red, red hot. Admittedly we're going to need this in the fourth quarter when we become a better team.

Realistically who do you guys think that he is talking about? It sounds to me like Jamal Crawford, but that's just me.

Personally I think he'd be a great fit for us. 20 ppg scorer and he can start UNTIL Paul George becomes the man. And yes he is a huge upgrade over Rush/Dunleavy.

I think he was talking about Mayo but couldn't say his name.

Smoothdave1
02-25-2011, 05:51 PM
Haha, I just said that I thought he was talking about a 2.

Haha, yeah, I started typing my post and saw yours after I posted mine.

But yes, I think the Pacers are looking for that 2 guard who can put up 15-20 a night consistently.

BringJackBack
02-25-2011, 05:51 PM
That's how I felt too vnzla. At this point I don't want to talk about Mayo anymore.. The trade falling through broke my heart. :laugh:

McKeyFan
02-25-2011, 05:54 PM
as was mentioned, Morway said "he's still a Pacers"
I caught that.:laugh:

ZepZach
02-25-2011, 05:55 PM
I've been really angry this deal didn't go down, but if we get a similar player this summer it won't be so bad. The Fighting Vogels will make some noise in the playoffs this year, and then next year we change it up.

croz24
02-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Who besides McRoberts was Memphis willing to take that would make the salaries work, then?

rush, mcroberts, 1st works for mayo. but was new orleans truly the only option to make it happen? unlikely. and why wait until 2pm to try to find that 3rd team? morway needs to take some accountability for not getting the deal done instead of placing blame elsewhere.

vnzla81
02-25-2011, 05:57 PM
The interview is down already

http://www.1070thefan.com/jmv/podcast.aspx

ToasterBusVIP
02-25-2011, 05:59 PM
What Morway said makes a lot of sense to me. When I first heard about the trade yesterday I was intrigued of course, but also nervous because I don't think we can afford to lose a PF, as thin as we are and as that position has worked well as a "committee" thus far. Knowing that the trade hinged upon us getting a PF back, makes it seem more reasonable, and if he couldn't get that I am not surprised Morway declined to do a deal which would only bring us Mayo.

wintermute
02-25-2011, 05:59 PM
If we're looking for a scoring 2-guard in the summer, the guy I'd want is Stuckey.

He always seems to kill us whenever we play the Pistons.

croz24
02-25-2011, 06:05 PM
key to the pacers offseason, bring in west and mayo. starting lineup of collison, mayo, granger, west, hibbert with an always improving george coming off the bench would be very intriguing. what's disappointing is i really like mcroberts and had that trade taken place, i fully believe we would have resigned mcroberts in the offseason. now i don't see a way of acquiring mayo, without losing mcroberts.

Trophy
02-25-2011, 06:05 PM
It sounded like he and Bird are still gonna keep Mayo in mind.

I'm not gonna be surprised if we do acquire him in the offseason.

We can evaluate the talent with all the contracts expiring and add to the core.

NapTonius Monk
02-25-2011, 06:06 PM
Hopefully learning that he was expendable to the Pacers front office will light a fire under Brandon and we'll see him be a more aggressive scorer out on the floor.Wouldn't that have been just as welcomed this year, seeing as how he was almost traded during last year's deadline?

huber14
02-25-2011, 06:09 PM
If we're looking for a scoring 2-guard in the summer, the guy I'd want is Stuckey.

He always seems to kill us whenever we play the Pistons.

With all the money we will have freed up after this year we could make him a Godfather offer.

BlueNGold
02-25-2011, 06:12 PM
Every player is expendable. In fact, every player is on the block given the right deal. Michael Jordan would have been traded if a strong enough deal was offered...and let's just say that Brandon and Josh are not MJ.

Why this would hurt anyone's feelings including the players involved only shows that people are not living in reality. Need to grow up. The team that trades for them will turnaround and trade them away too for the right deal.

Pacersalltheway10
02-25-2011, 06:13 PM
Expect the Pacers to go after probably Wilson Chandler and Mayo.

John Henson and Rush for Mayo if we draft a big in the draft? 6 or 7 million for Chandler (RFA though).

I really hope this incident with the grizzlies owner will not harm future talks. Mayo would have been a perfect fit here. He would have been that scoring threat that the Pacers need down the stretch. Plus he would have solved our problem with big point guards. Put him in with a heavy defensive unit and we have our defenders and our scorer.

Mayo
Paul George
Granger
Josh
Hibbert ..... Would be great against a team like the heat where wade and James act as point guards sometimes.

Mayo would have been that matchup solver/microwave scorer/ and another potential NBA all star on a team that is stacked with young growing talent already. Wilson Chandler would probably be viewed as grangers future replacement IMO.
Just my $0.02

Pacersalltheway10
02-25-2011, 06:15 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned with mayo getting into much trouble here. He would be around clean guys who would push him to do good things. I know about lance but he was in new York and it wasn't in the middle of a season.

CableKC
02-25-2011, 06:19 PM
He sounds mad, because of what people are saying about the franchise.
After hearing some of the answers from the horse's mouth...do you still think it's a Hoax?

vnzla81
02-25-2011, 06:25 PM
Here is Morway transcript about taking on "risky players" in this case explaining the OJ Mayo deal(I think)

"I can guarantee you that, we expend a tremendous amount of effort, time, money, in doing our due diligence in terms of the players that we are going to bring into this franchise, we do extensive background checks, we do sicological profiles"

It looks like they are sure that Mayo is not going to be a problem.

CableKC
02-25-2011, 06:26 PM
key to the pacers offseason, bring in west and mayo. starting lineup of collison, mayo, granger, west, hibbert with an always improving george coming off the bench would be very intriguing. what's disappointing is i really like mcroberts and had that trade taken place, i fully believe we would have resigned mcroberts in the offseason. now i don't see a way of acquiring mayo, without losing mcroberts.
Just like before....if the cost in the Offseason to get Mayo is to give up McBob....I'm cool with that. However, I think that the only reason why they were interested in the Pacers deal is NOT because of McBob himself ( and therefore would want to do some S&T...not that it matters since McBob is a UFA not a RFA )...but what he represented to the Grizzlies a day ago....added depth in the Frontcourt that they were looking for to help make a stronger Playoff push.

My guess is that with a larger FA market to look for some Frontcourt depth...that they'd look elsewhere.

vnzla81
02-25-2011, 06:26 PM
After hearing some of the answers from the horse's mouth...do you still think it's a Hoax?

Yes :-p

CableKC
02-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Here is Morway transcript about taking on "risky players" in this case explaining the OJ Mayo deal(I think)

"I can guarantee you that, we expend a tremendous amount of effort, time, money, in doing our due diligence in terms of the players that we are going to bring into this franchise, we do extensive background checks, we do sicological profiles"

It looks like they are sure that Mayo is not going to be a problem.
That's what I was thinking....no way that Bird and Morway would have gone that far if Mayo was going to be a problem. If they were willing to go that far to acquire him....knowing his background in the past....then I would have been more then willing to take him on.

CableKC
02-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Mayo would have been that matchup solver/microwave scorer/ and another potential NBA all star on a team that is stacked with young growing talent already. Wilson Chandler would probably be viewed as grangers future replacement IMO.
Just my $0.02
Can Chandler create his own shot?

vnzla81
02-25-2011, 06:31 PM
Can Chandler create his own shot?

He is similar to the matrix

peasouptexan7
02-25-2011, 09:58 PM
rush, mcroberts, 1st works for mayo. but was new orleans truly the only option to make it happen? unlikely. and why wait until 2pm to try to find that 3rd team? morway needs to take some accountability for not getting the deal done instead of placing blame elsewhere.

Memphis wouldn't take back Rush because they have a logjam at the 2 and 3, hence the reason they were going to trade Mayo in the first place. If we can get more using a third team why not do it? I'm not as upset we're not getting Mayo for a pick and McBob, but that we would've gotten a first and two other assets for Rush and Solo. The deal was in place and NO backed out. Nothing we can do about it.

Hoop
02-25-2011, 10:08 PM
He is saying that they made a call after 3pm but NO was getting out of the deal.

[b]He is also saying that this idea of them needing a clock is crazy[b/]
He must have read my post with the picture of a clock, it was a joke Morway, really it was a joke. :laugh:

Pacersalltheway10
02-26-2011, 01:35 AM
It just showed tonight that we could of used mayo down the stretch.

Merz
02-26-2011, 03:24 AM
I really hope one of the scorers they go after in the offseason is Eric Gordon. Yes, I know it will almost impossible to get him but I hope they at least try. You never know with Sterling and what the new CBA will add to his already penny-pinching ways.

I'd also like for them to re-visit the possibility of Mayo if EJ is unavailable. If Stephenson does ever reach the potential that Bird thinks he has I can imagine them in the backcourt together for stretches. Stephenson playing the 1 (not saying I believe him to be a PG but Larry apparently does) on offense and the 2 on defense and Mayo playing vise versa. (Please note that reaching potential means playing at least adequate defense).

I would love a good athletic, defensive, strong rebounding PF this offseason as well...but I'm not sure who is out there.

Psyren
02-26-2011, 03:26 AM
It just showed tonight that we could of used mayo down the stretch.

Agreed.

As much as I hate to dwell on the trade that could have been, all I could think about tonight was "OJ Mayo sure would help this lifeless offense" :laugh:

CableKC
02-26-2011, 04:11 AM
He is similar to the matrix
I have no clue whether the Matrix or Chandler can create his own shot. Can they?

croz24
02-26-2011, 04:15 AM
I have no clue whether the Matrix or Chandler can create his own shot. Can they?

no

pacer4ever
02-26-2011, 04:58 AM
Cain in New Zealand:
What could OJ Mayo give the Pacers that Paul George couldn't?

Lang Greene:
Figured I'd answer both of your questions Cain ... Mayo is more polished and NBA ready. The Pacers are in the playoff mix, so you need guys ready to contribute when games get crucial.

George is going to be a good player in this league, but rookies typically don't contribute much on playoff squads.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/chat.asp?chat_topics_id=1459&status=Inactive#ixzz1F3ccCq9a This is why we should of got OJ he is way more polished than Paul right now.