PDA

View Full Version : So quietly Roy is having one of the best stretches of his young career. Coincidence- I think not.

BringJackBack
02-25-2011, 04:02 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Kf83OcV5wiM?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Roy's stats in January:

9.5 PPG, 38% FG, 7 RPG, 1.2 APG, 22.1 MPG

Roy's stats in February:

16.1 PPG, 51% FG, 7.5 RPG, 2 APG, 31 MPG

Jim coached one game in February. He coached all of them in January.

Since Vogel took over, he has preached to both get Roy easy looks and to post him up more.

"We don't take bad shots anymore," Vogel said after our win against Portland. Roy's jumpshot was usually a bad shot, and shooting threes all the time was a bad shot.

Roy's confidence is at an all time high, we don't chuck threes anymore, everyone is playing with confidence, and the overall reward of all of this is our 9-3 record since the change. The thing that suprises me the most is that I thought Roy was going to probably be a 45% shooter for the most of his career, but even that can be pointed at his lack of confidence.. Or maybe it is Jim's insistance to take bad shots.

I thought that the damage that was done to Roy might hold him back for a long time. Thank God that I was wrong. Roy, in my opinion, is playing better than ever.

What a difference a coaching change makes, eh? Discuss.. I want to know what has mostly changed, and how much better he is going to get in the next couple of years.

spazzxb
02-25-2011, 04:04 PM
What were his November stats?

BringJackBack
02-25-2011, 04:05 PM
15.6 PPG, 49% FG, 9.4 RPG, 2.7 APG, 29 MPG.. Why? Oh, I know why. You're defending JOB even though this isn't really about him.. This is about Roy and Vogel.

Unclebuck
02-25-2011, 04:09 PM
Yes, something changed, I cannot quite piece it together, but seems like sometime around January 31st something must have changed.

He's playing rather well right now

spazzxb
02-25-2011, 04:17 PM
15.6 PPG, 49% FG, 9.4 RPG, 2.7 APG, 29 MPG.. Why? Oh, I know why. You're defending JOB even though this isn't really about him.. This is about Roy and Vogel.

Nah, I just don't like your thread. I refereed to November because it is an equally relevant comparison. Your the one blaming the old coach for Roy's struggles. I just don't care.

BringJackBack
02-25-2011, 04:19 PM
So.. Before this thread gets hi-jacked by Jim, let's get back on topic.

Discuss.. I want to know what has mostly changed, and how much better he is going to get in the next couple of years.

Pacers4Life
02-25-2011, 04:23 PM
His play would have dipped considerably if we had traded Josh.. He gets Roy 3-4 good looks a night.. Whether Roy converts is a different story. Just saying..

TheDon
02-25-2011, 04:25 PM
To be fair I think the stats in november are a bit misleading because back at the start of the year obie was actually using Hibbert the way he should have been used, and then in december we deviated from that strategy inexplicably.

Heisenberg
02-25-2011, 04:44 PM
I have no personal experience with psychiatry whatsoever, but maybe seeing that sports shrink just took a little bit of time to start working?

BRushWithDeath
02-25-2011, 04:55 PM
A lot, maybe even most, of it is confidence. But there are strategic similarities between November and now that didn't occur in December or January.

Roy's play has greatly coincided with the use of Josh.

When Josh has gotten minutes and been used correctly, Roy has played well.

And obviously not jacking threes every time down certainly helps.

Freddie fan
02-25-2011, 05:54 PM
Hibbert is receiving the ball closer to the basket more often now. A big difference for him, I think.

Sookie
02-25-2011, 06:31 PM
A lot, maybe even most, of it is confidence. But there are strategic similarities between November and now that didn't occur in December or January.

Roy's play has greatly coincided with the use of Josh.

When Josh has gotten minutes and been used correctly, Roy has played well.

And obviously not jacking threes every time down certainly helps.

Josh is the best player at getting the ball to Roy. Period. Last season, Brandon and AJ could do that well together, but they don't play much with Roy, and they really haven't played all that much together.

But it makes sense, that Roy plays better when he has a guy playing next to him whose skills compliment him, and who knows how to get the ball to him.

CableKC
02-25-2011, 06:40 PM
I'll add my 2 cents:

Our overall offense has changed where we are focusing more on attacking the basket and drawing FTs, we are taking more 2pt shots and less 3pt shots. You can compare the #s in November, December and January to February. There is a SHARP increase in the # of FTA that we are taking ( we are top 1 or 2 now compared to be DEAD LAST in the league in December/January ), our Offensive Rebounding has gone up and our 3pt Attempts have gone down ( we are taking about 6 less 3pt Attempts per game ). I think that a lot of that has come from who Hibbert is paired with ( an actual PF like McBob and/or Hansbrough ) and where he's mostly playing ( more or less near the paint ).

My guess is that for Roy...this translates into having Roy stay closer to the basket and therefore taking shots that he's more comfortable taking ( thus rebuilding his confidence ) and running more of the offense through Roy...which was what JO'B was doing in November but fell back on doing in December and January as his confidence hit rock bottom.