PDA

View Full Version : So we can blame Cuban for this?

90'sNBARocked
02-25-2011, 02:38 PM
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/37104

Matt (Indy)

Give us the scoop, Ric: Exactly how and why did the Pacers/Grizzlies/Hornets trade fall through? Also, it sounds like it was Rush and Solo going to N.O., but who was coming FROM N.O.? How big of a set-back was this for all teams involved?
Ric Bucher
(1:20 PM)

As I understand it, Brandon Rush was supposed to go to NO. NO wasn't putting anybody in the deal, if I have it correctly, they were merely offering cap room for Indy. I believe the problem arose because NO is league-owned and Mark Cuban already was upset that a team he owns 1/30th spent money to make the Carl Landry deal without his approval. I don't have the numbers in front of me, so I can't check on NO's cap situation, but as I understand it they were not putting anything into the deal. When the deal came into the league office, the league balked at NO being involved and it was too late to go back an construct the deal as straight between Memphis and Indy. But, as I understand it, it was the Pacers who wanted NO to be part of the deal and initially passed on the
two-team deal.

Freakin jerk Cuban

Speed
02-25-2011, 02:40 PM
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/37104

Freakin jerk Cuban

Freakin jerk Stern

Plus, how can NO not give up equal value, I can't believe they are UNDER the Salary Cap. Shamsports shows them at 68 million, they'd have to equal it out.

90'sNBARocked
02-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Sucks big time either way

CableKC
02-25-2011, 02:43 PM
They already are over the Salary Cap and very close to the Luxury Tax at ( according to ShamSports with roughly $68.17 mil ).

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/hornets.jsp

I don't see how the Hornets could have sent back no one...unless they had a Trade Exception. Did they have an Exception that could have covered BRush?

This also counters what Wells was saying about Indy sending BRush+Solo.

Basketball Fan
02-25-2011, 02:47 PM
No you blame Stern seeing as how the NBA owns the Hornets which means every owner in the NBA has a share and yes that includes the Simons.

If you're going to blame Cuban you have to blame Buss, Gilbert etc.

ballism
02-25-2011, 02:48 PM
They already are over the Salary Cap and very close to the Luxury Tax at ( according to ShamSports with roughly $68.17 mil ).

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/hornets.jsp

I don't see how the Hornets could have sent back no one...unless they had a Trade Exception. Did they have an Exception that could have covered BRush?

This also counters what Wells was saying about Indy sending BRush+Solo.

They should have the one from sending Peja to the Raptors, unless they used it up. Either way, B-Rush would put them over luxury tax, and there's no way in hell they'd even consider it while being owned by the league.

So, there had to be someone coming back to Indiana or Memphis.

BillS
02-25-2011, 02:48 PM
Blame Simon! Blame Bird!

Blame Jim O'Brien! :zip:

ballism
02-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Ahh actually, Peja exception is too small. They do have Julian Wright exception that can be used to absorb B-Rush, however.

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/tradeexceptions.jsp

But again, this puts them over the luxury tax by some 100 or 200k. So there would have to be another small-ish trade involved.

PacerGuy
02-25-2011, 03:00 PM
If the league office did not want NO to act like a team trying to improve, or to be involved in any activity, why was there not a memo? I put this on Stern for not having a plan. This is a black eye on his, but Larry and the Pacers will wear it once again...

90'sNBARocked
02-25-2011, 03:01 PM
Jamin (Indy)

Hey Ric love your chats!!! I wanna talk about the trade that almost happen with my Pacers. Who dropped the ball on that one??? And who wouldve got the better of it if it wouldve went through??
Ric Bucher
(1:27 PM)

Pacers, for sure. That's why it hurts that they didn't get it done

So later in the chats he blames the Pacers?

Trophy
02-25-2011, 03:02 PM
I really don't think the league should have anything to do with the Hornets as far as making basketball related decisions.

The team has a GM who can make those decisions without league approval as being "the Hornets owner".

It really sucks because we had a deal that was agreed and set between us and Memphis then the Hornets had to get involved and then ruin it all.

vnzla81
02-25-2011, 03:04 PM

ESPN did it too, they were the losers of the trade deadline on ESPN. They also mentioned that they have never seen a trade not going through for a last second call.

Brad8888
02-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Thanks, Mark! I, for one, appreciate your efforts as always!

Peck
02-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Hold on the trade would have been us giving up McRoberts, Rush, Jones and a first for O.J. Mayo?

I don't care who dropped the ball but thank you whoever did.

90'sNBARocked
02-25-2011, 03:14 PM
ESPN did it too, they were the losers of the trade deadline on ESPN. They also mentioned that they have never seen a trade not going through for a last second call.

Hold on the trade would have been us giving up McRoberts, Rush, Jones and a first for O.J. Mayo?

There is conflicting reports on that one. Some say we would have gotten back a player or two from NO, and some said we were doing it MORE FOR
OJ Mayo/Cap relief for McBob/Rush/Solo, and first

pacers74
02-25-2011, 03:16 PM
I think the "NBA" should have never gotten involved in owning the Hornets. That's what f'ed up this whole thing. It sounds as if the GM (or whoever is runnin the hornets) were good with the deal, but the NBA league office decided to put a stop to it.
Was it because of Cuban? Well maybe partly because he was the one to speak out about the Landry trade.

ballism
02-25-2011, 03:17 PM

According to initial reports, NOH were giving a 1st pick back.
Which might be a pick similar to ours, considering they are falling off.

So, in essence it's McRoberts, Rush, Solo for Mayo and some throwing from NOH to keep them under luxury tax.

PR07
02-25-2011, 03:18 PM
The safer bet would've just been to find a 3rd team that was in easier sell on a trade than a league run Hornets team if time was indeed the issue.

NapTonius Monk
02-25-2011, 03:27 PM
It seemed more that he was saying we would have benefited most from that deal. In any event, I'm sick of R Bucher.

Shade
02-25-2011, 05:11 PM
Like I said when it happened, the league should not be allowed to own a team. It's a conflict of interest and should be illegal.

aceace
02-25-2011, 05:31 PM
If you look at Mayos stats for all 3 years you will see a steady decline after his rookie season rather then the reverse, he obviously has had several off court issues starting from his college days. I feel like that we have finally gotten the mess cleaned up here. Rush is now the only player on the team that has done anything questionable since Lance has been cleared. We don't need to go backwards.

Slick Pinkham
02-25-2011, 05:45 PM
If you look at Mayo's stats for all 3 years you will see a steady decline after his rookie season.

I see no such steady decline, but rather a 2nd season just as good as the first, with a big dropoff to year 3:

rookie: 18.5 ppg/ 44% shooting
year 2: 17.5 ppg / 46% shooting
year 3: 12.1 ppg / 41% shooting

Maybe he pouted in his bench role after starting every game his whole life? He obviously has character issues so I give you that. But he had two pretty darn good seasons before he started playing like just another guy.

pacer4ever
02-26-2011, 05:05 AM

Morway confirmed on JMV that we would have got a few players back from NO.

http://www.1070thefan.com/jmv/podcast.aspx

CableKC
02-26-2011, 12:40 PM
Hmmm....the plot thickens.....

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/211496/Phil_Jackson_Uncomfortable_With_Manipulations_Of_H ornets_Adding_Salary#ixzz1F5VCjFVJ

Phil Jackson is in agreement with Mark Cuban about the Hornets making a deadline week acquisition that added approximately $2 million to their books.

New Orleans, presently owned by the NBA, acquired Carl Landry in a deal for Marcus Thornton.

"I want to know who is making that trade and how they can take on that salary when everybody else in the league — I mean this is the owners — [has] to take on this extra salary," said Jackson, and he wasn't done. "Those are things that seem to be manipulations that I'm not quite comfortable with. Where's the consensus? If New Orleans happens to win the championship, does everybody get a trophy in the NBA?"
Someone's going to have to explain this to me....I don't get what the Hornets did that no one else could do.

travmil
02-26-2011, 12:56 PM
If New Orleans happens to win the championship, does everybody get a trophy in the NBA?"

Sure. As soon as hell freezes over, the trophy can be carried to each owners offices on the back of a Unicorn that poops rainbows.

BillS
02-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Hmmm....the plot thickens.....

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/211496/Phil_Jackson_Uncomfortable_With_Manipulations_Of_H ornets_Adding_Salary#ixzz1F5VCjFVJ

Someone's going to have to explain this to me....I don't get what the Hornets did that no one else could do.

It's not that they did what no one else could do, it's that they did something that will cost all the other owners (in other words, it harms everyone not just NOH).

While I understand this coming from Cuban, did I miss Jackson having anything other than maybe a token piece of the Lakers?

CableKC
02-26-2011, 01:32 PM
It's not that they did what no one else could do, it's that they did something that will cost all the other owners (in other words, it harms everyone not just NOH).

While I understand this coming from Cuban, did I miss Jackson having anything other than maybe a token piece of the Lakers?
He's Phil Jackson, he's probably one of the few high profile "well-respected" NBA personalities that can say what he wants without care of retribution from Emperor Palpatine and the rest of his NBA Minions.

I get what he's saying now....but this begs the obvious question...does this mean that the Hornets FO can't make any moves ( whether it costs them any money or not ) now without consulting the rest of the Team Owners?

For example, when it comes time to decide who to re-sign and not to re-sign....like David West...does the rest of the Owners get a say?

My guess is not......

JB24
02-26-2011, 01:52 PM
Pretty sure Jackson and Cuban wouldn't be complaining if NO weren't potential playoff competition.

Hicks
02-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Maybe, but they have a point.

PacersPride
02-26-2011, 03:13 PM
Maybe, but they have a point.

Yes they have a valid point, but so do the Pacers fans who feel we got Dicked out of acquiring Mayo and a 1st from NO"s.

Hornets fans also sound peeved about it from what ive read.
http://www.hornetsreport.com/HRForums/showthread.php?p=798831#post798831

Nvrtheless.. Pacer fans got bent over the hardest here. we lose out on landry, a trade the pacers were offering solo/rush and just got beat out by thorton deal. Cuban complained cause its making the hornets a tougher challenge in the west.

im not soo much :mad: at not acquiring mayo.. but that a player like McRob thought he was traded only to find out the deal was not submitted in time. its a total clusterf*** on the part of the league imho.

SUCK IT STERN.

ballism
02-26-2011, 03:19 PM
It doesn't even matter if Cuban has any real influence on this matter or not, or is he right or wrong, it forces all kinds of suspicions from casual fans, and that's terrible for the league.

They should have agreed on the details before buying the team. I get their point, they don't want additional costs, but this public questioning hurts NBA as a whole. If I'm the league, I'd rather have Cuban hating on the refs, instead of basically telling a third team to stop gearing up for the playoffs.

They should have said in advance "take on money, but not over luxury tax" or even "don't take money at all", instead of arguing publicly now.

Swish
02-26-2011, 07:48 PM
Can we just build a bridge and get over it already?

ballism
02-26-2011, 08:15 PM
Can we just build a bridge and get over it already?

Ja wohl, mein Fuhrer!