PDA

View Full Version : Lighting the Powderkeg

Diamond Dave
02-25-2011, 02:51 PM
Now, let me say this first. I think neither are great players or the answer at shooting guard for the Pacers. However, since it appears to me that so many of our new found OJ Mayo devotees are the same posters who can't stand Mike Dunleavy I present this...

2010-2011 Mike Dunleavy
<TABLE class=playerInfoGridPlayerInfoBorders border=0 cellSpacing=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>
PPG
</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>11.2 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>RPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>4.8 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>APG</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>1.8 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>SPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>0.7 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>BPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>0.5 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>FG%</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>0.457 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>FT%</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>0.788 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>3P%</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>0.407 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>MPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>28.6
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

2010-2011 O.J. Mayo

<TABLE class=playerInfoGridPlayerInfoBorders border=0 cellSpacing=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>PPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>12.1 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>RPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>2.5 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>APG</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>1.9 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>SPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>1.0 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>BPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>0.4 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>FG%</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>0.409 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>FT%</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>0.747 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowOdd>3P%</TD><TD class=gSGRowOdd>0.351 </TD></TR><TR align=middle><TD class=gSGRowEven>MPG</TD><TD class=gSGRowEven>28.1</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Kegboy
02-25-2011, 02:53 PM
:applaud:

PacerPenguins
02-25-2011, 03:00 PM
:applaud:

:buddies:

vnzla81
02-25-2011, 03:02 PM
You forget the fact that Dunleavy is 31 and Mayo is 23

In Mike Dunleavy's best year he averaged 19ppg

In OJ Mayo's rookie year he averaged 18.5 ppg

http://techbuddha.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/vader-fail.jpg

Speed
02-25-2011, 03:02 PM
Age should be considered, I think. Also a bigger sampling should be considered.

If Dunleavy had averaged 18, 3, and 3 at 21 years old, maybe I could see the comparison.

They are about as completely different players as you can find, well, except neither is known for individual defense.

Pacers4Life
02-25-2011, 03:03 PM
you really did man... all someone has to do is pull up his previous 2 seasons PPG.. something like 18.6 and 17.5.. ok.. pull up Mikes ONE season above 18PPG... then draw a HUUUUUGGGEEEE REDDD circle around the ages.. 23.. and 30..

I'm glad we didnt get Mayo but this is pointless.

Trader Joe
02-25-2011, 03:06 PM
No one else is disturbed by the fact that Mayo has scored less, been less efficient, and been more of a malcontent every year he's been in the league?

MyFavMartin
02-25-2011, 03:11 PM
OJ gets to the line more than Dun and Rush combined.

CableKC
02-25-2011, 03:11 PM
You're ignoring the #s that OJ put in the 2 previous seasons. Although I would not discount the reason why OJ was put into the Grizzlies doghouse in the 1st Place....and therefore factor it into how it would affect the overall value of OJ Mayo....this is one of those cases where it's a low-to-medium-risk / high reward trade.

I know that we lose McBob and a 1st....but we'd essentially be adding a solid scorer to the lineup at the SG spot ( something that I think that we need ) that has the potential to be an average scorer or something more.

NOTE - I'm not convinced that PG is that guy yet much less move him into the Starting lineup YET...I have ZERO problem with keeping him in his current role and acquiring a Starting level SG while playing him 24-28 mpg for the rest of the season so that he can develop properly. I've always been an advocate of looking to get a Starting Quality SG in the offseason UNLESS it is abundantly clear that PG is ready to be that guy by the start of the 2011-2012 season.

Also...keep in mind that Mayo only has 1 more year on his contract at roughly $5.6 mil owed to him in 2011-2012. So...worse comes to worse, he doesn't work out or fit the Team....we either buy him out or move him next season and the cost simply is McBob and a 1st round pick. Yes, we lose a 1st round pick...but given the likely weak 2011-2012 draft and given the Capspace that we have...I don't think that it would have been hard to get another 1st round pick...much less ignoring that we would have likely gotten one in the move for BRush to the Hornets.

Again, this would have been a Low-to-Medium Risk / High Reward move. Any deal where you end up with the best Player in the deal while giving up Players and/or assets that aren't considered critical to the future core of the Pacers ( clearly the case with BRush and Solo ) is a no-brainer deal that you simply have to make.

CableKC
02-25-2011, 03:12 PM
http://techbuddha.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/vader-fail.jpg
Admins, can we make this a "smiley"?

Diamond Dave
02-25-2011, 03:13 PM
No one else is disturbed by the fact that Mayo has scored less, been less efficient, and been more of a malcontent every year he's been in the league?

Oh heavens no! Erroneous! Erroneous! Erroneous on all accounts!

HE IS ONLY 23!! 23!!!!! WHY CAN'T YOU UNDERSTAND HE IS ONLY 23! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE! WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN! HE IS ONLY 23!

CableKC
02-25-2011, 03:17 PM
I'm not going to discount his past nor ignore his current situation....but I'll chalk his lower #s up to being in the Grizzlies doghouse and that a "change in scenery" would be helpful.

But the real reason why I'm okay with Mayo is because if a stubborn and rigid guy like Bird....who has preached the whole "milk-drinker" mantra over the last 3 years..was willing to get past his past-transgression and take the risk...then I would have been okay with it.

Diamond Dave
02-25-2011, 03:19 PM
You forget the fact that Dunleavy is 31 and Mayo is 23

In Mike Dunleavy's best year he averaged 19ppg

In OJ Mayo's rookie year he averaged 18.5 ppg

Actually I did not forget their age, in fact the only thing I forgot is that I'm wasting my time trying to reason with you. Still I'll use absurdity to demonstrate absurdity....

So in essence you are saying that OJ Mayo has never played as well for a whole season that Mike Dunleavy has. And you are now also leading us to believe that a 23 year old OJ Mayo cannot produce more than a 30 year old Dunleavy?

vnzla81
02-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Actually I did not forget their age, in fact the only thing I forgot is that I'm wasting my time trying to reason with you. Still I'll use absurdity to demonstrate absurdity....

So in essence you are saying that OJ Mayo has never played as well for a whole season that Mike Dunleavy has. And you are now also leading us to believe that a 23 year old OJ Mayo cannot produce more than a 30 year old Dunleavy?

I'm sorry but I can't understand that last sentence.

Really?
02-25-2011, 03:26 PM
Not to try to spoil this Dunleavy vs Mayo thing but I wonder what part race has to play in this comparison, just saying...

Also weren't they drafted at about the same position?

TheDon
02-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Not to try to spoil this Dunleavy vs Mayo thing but I wonder what part race has to play in this comparison, just saying...

:picard:

Marlin
02-25-2011, 03:34 PM
I'm not going to discount his past nor ignore his current situation....but I'll chalk his lower #s up to being in the Grizzlies doghouse and that a "change in scenery" would be helpful.

But the real reason why I'm okay with Mayo is because if a stubborn and rigid guy like Bird....who has preached the whole "milk-drinker" mantra over the last 3 years..was willing to get past his past-transgression and take the risk...then I would have been okay with it.

To be fair, he's been in the doghouse not only for his off the court behaviour, but also because he wasn't exactly setting the world on fire even before being benched. His numbers were similar to what they are now, maybe a point more. I remember 'cause one of my friends got him for cheap in fantasy bb, bragged about it, and then was left facing the conclusion that he was stinking -so he cut him without too much regret.

Hate to bring up fantasy bb in regards to real life bb, but it's just a sample of his statistics not being great all year long, not just after being benched.

Diamond Dave
02-25-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm sorry but I can't understand that last sentence.

Basically, I understand that OJ is much younger than Mike. However this in no way proves that he will be something spectacular. All I am pointing out is that your logic of Mike being 30 is working against you as OJ is presently not producing anything better. In fact based off of percentages he is much less efficient.

Also, to date, OJ's best year was no better than Mike's first year. Regardless that it was his rookie year. Actually, it speaks even worse about OJ that he has only declined.

NapTonius Monk
02-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Not to try to spoil this Dunleavy vs Mayo thing but I wonder what part race has to play in this comparisonOh, I'd say about one post worth.

CableKC
02-25-2011, 03:39 PM
To be fair, he's been in the doghouse not only for his off the court behaviour, but also because he wasn't exactly setting the world on fire even before being benched. His numbers were similar to what they are now, maybe a point more. I remember 'cause one of my friends got him for cheap in fantasy bb, bragged about it, and then was left facing the conclusion that he was stinking -so he cut him without too much regret.

Hate to bring up fantasy bb in regards to real life bb, but it's just a sample of his statistics not being great all year long, not just after being benched.
I go back to the whole "change in scenary" argument. But that's part of the "low-to-medium-Risk/high-reward" reasoning for trying to do this in the first place. At worst, he's just an average scorer that we can jettison in another year. If he had a huge 2011-2012 salary that we couldn't afford to add to our Salary Cap...I'd agree that there is a risk...but the guy is still on the tail-end of his Rookie Contract....I'd live with the risk to see if he can get back to his rookie/sophomore form.

Diamond Dave
02-25-2011, 03:39 PM

Plus for being in the "dog house" he is still averaging virtually the same amount of minutes as Dunleavy. A guy who everyone screams about playing too much.

Trader Joe
02-25-2011, 03:49 PM

Sorry, but what exactly are you "just saying" here?

PR07
02-25-2011, 04:12 PM
This deal wasn't just about this year though, you have to look at the picture. OJ Mayo, is what 23 years old?

Really?
02-25-2011, 04:18 PM
It was a question :( , often times you see similar numbers from people of the opposite race and for some reason it always seems to be argued that the african american seems to be better somehow or will be better.

Just interesting how the perception of people that follow the NBA is,

I don't think that it should have a place but from a lot of things that I have read it seems like it always make its way into these types of comparisons.

And I was just wondering what u all felt...sorry

BobbyMac
02-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Oh heavens no! Erroneous! Erroneous! Erroneous on all accounts!

HE IS ONLY 23!! 23!!!!! WHY CAN'T YOU UNDERSTAND HE IS ONLY 23! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE! WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN! HE IS ONLY 23!

And his play has declined each year he's been in the league, by the time he's 31 he's.....gone.

Pacersalltheway10
02-25-2011, 05:18 PM
This isn't relevant at all. Dunleavy didn't have the ceiling that Mayo still has. He just needs a change.

Justin Tyme
02-25-2011, 05:44 PM

BB players are being compared, NOT race! Why would this ever even enter into the discussion??

Tom White
02-25-2011, 07:36 PM

Sorry, I hit the thanks button instead of the quote button.

I would take a different spin on it.

I wonder what the average age the Mayo over Dun posters are compared to the "not so thrilled about Mayo" posters.

Trophy
02-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Mayo does a lot more on the offensive end.

Some of his shots are the ones a top SG would make.

Mike doesn't do much outside of just shooting the ball on the offensive end.

There's not much of an offensive comparison between these two if you were to watch them.

Jared Sullinger
02-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Mayo's play this year is irrelevant. He's stuck in a bad situation. I fully expect that he'll return to his freshman and sophomore production once he finds a new home, possibly eventually exceeding it. He may even become an elusive 20/5/5 SG. He has the talent for it.

Gamble1
02-25-2011, 07:55 PM
At 5 mill Mayo is an asset. At 10 mill Dunleavy isn't. Plan and simple if you ask me. The Bulls would have bent over backwards to sign Mayo and we could have capitalized.

DemonHunter1105
02-25-2011, 07:57 PM
It is pretty silly to argue that a player of his age will continue to statistically decline in a linear fashion just because his stats fell slightly 2 years in a row.