PDA

View Full Version : Other than draft picks, CAN there even be trades on draft night this year?

Hicks
02-25-2011, 12:57 PM
With the CBA about to expire, are trades even going to be allowed on draft night this year? A lot of times trades are agreed to and unofficially (ESPN) announced, but they don't get done until on or after July 1st to wait for the next cycle of the NBA to begin.

This time, nothing happens on July 1st the way it normally does.

So unless it's draft picks for other draft picks, are trades even possible this year?

I think I remember that once you were in your offseason (eliminated from the playoffs), you were free to make trades again with other teams in the same situation, but I thought that most or all of those trades tended to involve waiting for the 'new year' of July 1st to become official?

Can anyone give me an example of a trade that would be legal on draft night that isn't just swapping picks?

diamonddave00
02-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Yes , after the season you can make trades up until the end of the agreement on June 30th. But nothing after that day until the new agreement.

BillS
02-25-2011, 01:04 PM
I would think trades would be just as legal as they are now. Instead of not being official until July 1, they would just be contingent on the new CBA date and terms.

I'd expect there would be fewer of them because of the complexity/uncertainty and the less robust draft class, but that doesn't change the possibility.

Hicks
02-25-2011, 01:14 PM
I highly doubt any trade will be made with the idea that they'll be contingent on the new CBA. Way too many variables possible with that.

I can see trades using the current rules and getting done by June 30th, I suppose, but I just don't recall that happening very often.

Here's another issue I have: You can't trade your expiring contracts on draft night, I don't think.

In other words, we can't trade Ford (if he's not bought out by then), Dunleavy, McRoberts, Solomon, or Jeff now, no matter what.

So our options will be limited.

JB24
02-25-2011, 01:15 PM
Plenty of trades get consummated on draft night. The ones that have to wait until July are usually the result of BYC restrictions (like the trade with Ford a few years ago) or because say, 2008 salaries won't match up in a trade but 2009 season salaries will (i.e the Portland deal that netted the team Rush, McBob and JJ). Unfortunately, the team's expiring contracts are a no-go at the draft and outside of Rush and Posey (the latter with zero value going into a lockout, i'd assume) it's hard to see how the team would pull off a trade that isn't just picks for picks (unless they trade Granger. I'm assuming they like all their other young guys, and AJ and Stephenson would hold little to no value that it probably wouldn't be worth trading them.)

Hicks
02-25-2011, 01:19 PM
So basically the only way we're making a trade before the new CBA is born is if we're trading:

'11 1st
'11 2nd
Darren Collison
AJ Price
Lance Stephenson
Brandon Rush
Paul George
Dahntay Johes
Danny Granger
James Posey
Tyler Hansbrough
Roy Hibbert

I guess, if the right deal came along, something could still happen.

LetsTalkPacers
02-25-2011, 01:24 PM
So basically the only way we're making a trade before the new CBA is born is if we're trading:

'11 1st
'11 2nd
Darren Collison
AJ Price
Lance Stephenson
Brandon Rush
Paul George
Dahntay Johes
Danny Granger
Tyler Hansbrough
Roy Hibbert

I guess, if the right deal came along, something could still happen.
I find it funny that the only player you didnt name is the only player I would want to trade...James Posey

Speed
02-25-2011, 01:24 PM

I wonder if they'll have the parameters on what it will look like at that point or if it will still be all posturing.

I wonder this because if the teams think it will be crazy restrictive, there would be huge rush to dump salary, I would guess. Good for the Pacers, maybe.

Hicks
02-25-2011, 01:25 PM
I find it funny that the only player you didnt name is the only player I would want to trade...James Posey

Whoops; forgot about 'The Cannon'.

Hicks
02-25-2011, 01:26 PM
I wonder if they'll have the parameters on what it will look like at that point or if it will still be all posturing.

I wonder this because if the teams think it will be crazy restrictive, there would be huge rush to dump salary, I would guess. Good for the Pacers, maybe.

Oh, and I don't think it will be even close at that point. This thing's going to go for a while. Expect to miss at least some of next season.

LetsTalkPacers
02-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Im optimistic that things will be ready by the regular season. maybe miss the preseason but thats it.

Also how will this effect us hiring a new coach, assuming Vogel doesnt come back