PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs and winning in the playoffs

TheDon
02-25-2011, 01:09 AM
I don't make a lot of threads but i've seen a lot of people go back and forth on this issue and I can at least understand both sides. Now that Vogel is our coach thought, I would like to see us just make the playoffs and that alone I would consider a pretty big success. However, i've seen people think that it is not enough to just make the playoffs but we also need to either win a few games or even a seven game series against someone for this season to be successful. So i'm kind of interested to see what some of you think what your opinions are on the subject.

Has any team other than the Celtics or Warriors from recent memory made the playoffs after being absent from the playoffs for at least a couple years get back in and win at least one series? Those two seem to be more like an exception rather than the rule.

pacer4ever
02-25-2011, 01:11 AM
the 7 gm series really shows who the better team is and normally the better team wins.

TheDon
02-25-2011, 01:14 AM
I'm more interested I guess I should have been more clear as to what people individually would consider "successful" to them as far as this season goes.

joeyd
02-25-2011, 01:14 AM
For this season, at least for me, making the playoffs and having a good showing in the first round is good enough for me regardless of whether we win the series. I can see us winning a game, maybe two, from Miami. I think at the very least, it will take a few hard-fought games to win back the casual fans.

King Tuts Tomb
02-25-2011, 01:16 AM
Has any team other than the Celtics or Warriors from recent memory made the playoffs after being absent from the playoffs for at least a couple years get back in and win at least one series? Those two seem to be more like an exception rather than the rule.

Wizards with Gil, Jameson and Hughes beat the Bulls a few years ago after some time out of the playoffs. The Cavs in LeBron's first trip to the playoffs won I think.

pizza guy
02-25-2011, 01:20 AM
Making the playoffs = improvement
Winning a series = short term success
Not winning the Finals = failure

I'm going to be ecstatic when the Pacers make the playoffs this year. And if they can win a game or two, I'll be very proud of this year's team. If they pull off a first round upset, I'm going to be on cloud 9.

But, in the big picture, it should be every franchise's goal to win the Finals. Anything less than that should be considered failure, and should bring about change in the make-up of the roster. If you don't win it all, but decide that you're going to stick with what you've got, that tells me you're OK with mediocrity. But, I'm not.

Playoffs this year? Great. When do we get to the Finals?

TheDon
02-25-2011, 01:23 AM
Wizards with Gil, Jameson and Hughes beat the Bulls a few years ago after some time out of the playoffs. The Cavs in LeBron's first trip to the playoffs won I think.

I guess it's a lot more common than I had initially thought can't believe I forgot those two teams.

I think the worst thing that could happen is to end up getting swept. I think a few wins does help out on our end in the bargaining process for potential free agents.

gummy
02-25-2011, 01:25 AM
Considering the state of the franchise the last several years and the most recent January in particular, I'd consider making the playoffs as the 8th seed a success. I think it's possible we might snag the 7th seed (check back with me on that one once we play a few good teams that aren't the Miami Heat under Coach Vogel), which would make the season a bit more of a success.

I would be disappointed if we didn't win a game in the series, but I wouldn't be shocked. If we get swept I think it depends on how we lose - if we are able to look like we belong for a couple of games it's probably a success. If we look totally over matched the whole series I might still say the season was a success - depends on the details of why it happened (for example, Granger wetting the bed in the playoffs is going to be a bigger deal than our really young guys not playing well). On the other hand I also wouldn't be shocked to see us take a game or two, depending on who the opponent is.

Winning a seven-game series seems extremely unlikely. If we were able to get out of the 1st round I think most of us would agree that would be not just a successful season but a wildly successful one. Even if we were to get swept in the Conference Semi-Finals, winning the 1st round would change the way we view the team in terms of our future building strategies because if we've performed that well it probably means at least one of our players turned out to be better than we thought they'd be.

Edited to add: I've defined successful outcomes based on our team in context - an assessment of what I think is possible rather than setting the Finals as the only successful outcome. I hope our team has that mentality, but I can be realistic as a fan in terms of what I expect. It already affects me enough when they lose, if I started expecting Finals or bust I'd be even more of a bear to be around right after a loss. ;)

Day-V
02-25-2011, 01:28 AM
I don't care what they do, just make it in.

Gotta crawl before you walk.

focused444
02-25-2011, 01:30 AM
I'm content with them making the playoffs

if they happen to pull some warriors against the mavs series out, well that would be outstanding. Remember though even that hot Warriors 07 squad flamed out in the second round.

xIndyFan
02-25-2011, 01:31 AM
I don't care what they do, just make it in.

Gotta crawl before you walk.

:iagree: this

kester99
02-25-2011, 01:37 AM
I agree that making the playoffs equals a win for this season, but I know that getting swept while looking like we don't belong would leave a bad taste in the mouth for a lot of people.

It wouldn't feel like a success at that point, regardless of what we say now. We need to get there. and show respectably.

LA_Confidential
02-25-2011, 02:30 AM
I know one thing, we better not let the Bobcats catch us, especially after trading away Crash. I'd be highly ticked off.

ndcoltsnpacers
02-25-2011, 02:56 AM
For this season, I'd consider playoffs, plus some decent showings in the playoffs to be a success. I can understand us getting blown out for a game or two, but I'd love for us to steal one here at Conseco and at least show up in the rest of them.

Gremz
02-25-2011, 05:16 AM
Success for me would be competing with our higher seeded opponents every game. Regardless of the result of the series, I'd just want every game to be competitive. If we steal a few games of get to the second round, great.

Of course, if we get Miami, then we sweep.

The Jackson shimmy
02-25-2011, 07:16 AM
Just making the playoffs is the key. The Pacers brass has to get a look
at how each Pacers' player responds and what they are capable of when
the opponent is focused on each game and takes away what our guys
like to do.

Putting up numbers or the like is far easier in some random, regular
season games when the opponent may or may not be rested and/or
focused. Doing so when they definitely are, have thoroughly scouted
tendencies, strengths and weaknesses, etc. and schemed to shut
you down is another matter altogether.

MyFavMartin
02-25-2011, 07:29 AM
Of course, if we get Miami, then we sweep.

:laugh:

BRushWithDeath
02-25-2011, 09:25 AM
I expect us to make the playoffs and I also expect us to get swept. As long as we aren't completely blown out all 4 games, this season is a massive success.

Because our youth is the reason we were able to achieve that.

MyFavMartin
02-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Our last game with Miami should give the team confidence... minus the first quarter.

Once we sat Dun, we did well. Our young guys will get some more time the next 7-8 weeks to develop and hopefully we have a decent showing in the playoffs. I don't see Charlotte competing based on the schedule and its strength. It'll be tough for us not to finish 8th, but that depends partially on what NY does and how quickly they develop chemistry with their new parts.