PDA

View Full Version : I'm suprised some people dont realize this or..

Foul on Smits
02-25-2011, 12:04 AM
maybe i'm a lot more optimistic about this. I think the Pacers had a top 10 player fall in there lap with Paul George. In fact, i think his ceiling could be higher. I know some people are bent about this Mayo trade, but honestly, I rather be mediocre for a year or two more while we wait for George to blossom as our two guard. I dont want Mayo clogging up that position. Indiana has never had a guy with as much talent as George has. I'm willing to wait this one out.

My only fear is that he gets so good, that ESPN starts making it there agenda to get George to a big market team, like they're doing now with Dwight Howard and Chris Paul, by sending there insiders on television and having them tell everyone that they're positive Howard will be a Laker in 2012 and Paul will a Knick.

Paul George is going to be one of the best.

mattie
02-25-2011, 12:08 AM
It's not too optimistic to think PG can be that guy. He certainly looks like it. He's fearless, he hustles on defense as much as offense, he's already shown that he wants to be the "guy." With that said, he could very well end up to be merely a solid, low 20 per game guy that can't take them to the very top. Even if that happens however, if you take a very complete team with phenomenal chemistry, they can still be very good, and while maybe not good enough to beat the best or second best team, they can be right behind them.

You win with guys like that. Boston is a great example of how you can win without the most physically gifted talent in the NBA. Honestly, as far as physical gifts go, they don't have a single guy in the top 10 in the NBA.

King Tuts Tomb
02-25-2011, 12:12 AM
Boston doesn't have a top 10 guy but they have four guys between 10 and 20.

George has the tools to be great but top 10 guys can create their own shot and that's one of the things I haven't really seen him do much this year.

KevinB
02-25-2011, 12:12 AM
That bothers me too! It is tampering. Seems like we hear more about Paul with the Knicks than with the Hornets. Sure would make a player start to think about how much coverage they might actually get if they were to make the move. Just one more way the big markets get the edge. I can't remember ESPN ever associating hes name with any of the smaller market teams. How about equal time.

mattie
02-25-2011, 12:28 AM

George has the tools to be great but top 10 guys can create their own shot and that's one of the things I haven't really seen him do much this year.

Are they really all between 10 and 20?? See it's really a tough subject if you think about it, how exactly to evaluate a player. Obviously players like Wade, Kobe and Lebron are easy... They're just better than everyone else... But Boston's big 4??

Obviously Rondo is top 20, I think we can all agree on that, he's the best passer in the league bar none. But Pierce? Is really that good? It depends on your definition. See if he didn't have his teammates and was on a different team, I think he'd average more, shoot a lot lower shooting percentage and people would consider way less of him. The same goes of Ray Allen. Neither have the abilities they had 4 or 5 years ago.

For instance, take an open mind, without overreacting that I'd suggest something like this- (stupid people, just go somewhere else, this is too much for you to fathom) Imagine Granger stepping in the place of Pierce. Especially him playing with them, playngi his heart out and playing the defense we all know he can do, what would everyone think? He'd know doubt shoot lights out- He can play defense, he's completely team oriented.. I honestly believe they wouldn't skip a beat, although the two's skills are definitely different, I think he could fit right in.

What I'm really getting out is Boston is undoubtedly great because they have talent, but a huge part is they have incredible chemistry and they work together well. None of them have glaring weaknesses that hurt their like the following: too selfish, bad defense, bad rebounding, or a bad attitude.

Is it really that hard? I'd make the daring claim that Boston depends on phenomenal chemistry, and the fact that they all fill necessary rolls- KG is the best defensive big man in the league and helps them have great interior D. Ray Allen is a great shooter who never takes bad shots, depending on his PG, and the other 2 scorers on his team to ensure this never happens. Pierce only takes good shot and is never reckless going to the rim knowing he can always pull out and reset.

What also probably adds to their great play is each one of the 3 aging stars were once considered among the top 10 stars in the league, meaning they are fearless and they expect greatness. But still- no matter how great individually they were, I think we can all name many players that are better than each one of them now.

Even KG, the best D big man in the league- He is extremely effective because they don't have to depend on him to score points! He fits that role to a T! He is definitely not the best bigman in the league, though he probably fits within that team better than any other bigman... (other than Howard)

Edit- I'd also like to add this... Now you might come to the conclusion that all these different things they each bring to the table is what makes them truly top 20 players, but see if you argue that, then you have to argue that some of the other players in the league that you think really highly of (like 'Melo) aren't near as good as we give them credit for.

Psyren
02-25-2011, 12:30 AM

I can't wait until Paul tightens up that handle a little bit.

Once he does, he's going to be dangerous on those mid range jumpers.

xIndyFan
02-25-2011, 12:43 AM
I can't wait until Paul tightens up that handle a little bit. . .

pacers have too many guys that need that same fix. danny, AJ, brandon, et al. guess that means it is a young team. :laugh:

Hicks
02-25-2011, 01:03 AM

Really? I have.

LA_Confidential
02-25-2011, 01:05 AM
Its a little too soon to be wondering about PG staying or going. He is still a rookie.

daschysta
02-25-2011, 01:06 AM
George is maybe our best iso player NOW

PacersPride
02-25-2011, 01:06 AM
yepp, the nba is really looking to screw the small market teams. i like George but do fear him becoming a laker.

smj887
02-25-2011, 01:11 AM
Worry about that later. For now, we know he loves Indy.

LA_Confidential
02-25-2011, 01:25 AM
Worry about that later. For now, we know he loves Indy.

You Have The Best Avatar Ever! I remember seeing Dahntay lock in the cobra clutch on AJ and was like, Oh Hell Yeah!

Sookie
02-25-2011, 01:48 AM
I think this group, as a whole, really likes each other. Particularly the younger guys.

And I have a feeling that so long as Roy is here, PG is going to want to be here.

edit: yea, I like the avatar. I think DJones is a big brother figure to a lot of the guys, that picture just proves it. :D

ndcoltsnpacers
02-25-2011, 01:50 AM
I like Paul so far, and he seems to be enjoying Indy and his teammates well enough. But can someone PLEASE make sure that this world wide wes fool stays 3000 miles away from him?

TheDon
02-25-2011, 02:02 AM
I think this group, as a whole, really likes each other. Particularly the younger guys.

And I have a feeling that so log as Roy is here, PG is going to want to be here.

edit: yea, I like the avatar. I think DJones is a big brother figure to a lot of the guys, that picture just proves it. :D

I really liked seeing these two tweets from Paul George and TJ Ford

T.J. Ford (@tj_ford)
Sad if the Pacers really traded my good friend "Josh McRoberts" kids playing great this yr

Paul George (@King24George)
Phewww coo we keep JMac!!! He been doin great for us wouldve been tough to lose him!

Further proof these guys really like each other.

DEEman
02-25-2011, 02:43 AM
I'm suprised some people dont realize that PG still could develop into a star with Mayo on our team.

PG still can play around 25 minutes with Granger and Mayo starting.. Being a back-up with 25 minutes as a rookie is not a bad thing!

King Tuts Tomb
02-25-2011, 03:00 AM
Really? I have.

I mean, he has, of course, but it's always been a variation on that little crossover where he pulls it from right to left.

The question for me is whether he can expand on that and put some reverses and spins into it. I think he can.

King Tuts Tomb
02-25-2011, 03:03 AM
Are they really all between 10 and 20?? See it's really a tough subject if you think about it, how exactly to evaluate a player. Obviously players like Wade, Kobe and Lebron are easy... They're just better than everyone else... But Boston's big 4??

I agree with most of what you said. It's hard to evaluate those Boston guys because being on the same team they suppress a lot of what they're capable of. If they were each leading their own teams I think they'd be top 15.

The Jackson shimmy
02-25-2011, 05:55 AM
PG a top-10, NBA player ? That's it ? Stop shortchanging the kid.

It's a crime that he's not already in the Hoops HOF !

Gremz
02-25-2011, 05:57 AM
Chris Paul George Gervin.

MyFavMartin
02-25-2011, 06:06 AM
I think it's interesting to speculate as to whether Mayo would have started alongside PG in the event that Danny could be traded for an All Star caliber PF.

Spilled milk.

McKeyFan
02-25-2011, 07:33 AM
Because he hasn't shot much this year. Or, instead of creating something, he defers to Danny.

I've seen enough to know he can create: Drives, midrange pullup, 18 footers and threes. He's got it all. And great court vision.

Robertmto
02-25-2011, 08:30 AM
Sooo based on the what, 20 games he's played he's gonna be a top 10 player in the NBA! The reality on this board is amazing

ballism
02-25-2011, 08:54 AM
Once upon a time, J Bender was supposed to be a hall of famer.
Ron Artest was meant to be Pacers greatest player of all time.
When Danny Granger was rookie, this board thought he'd achieve more than JO.

PG has huge ceiling, but it's silly to relax because of that... If you avoid new talent because you possibly maybe perhaps for sure have a future All Star, you will never win a title.

Unclebuck
02-25-2011, 09:12 AM
The idea is if George becomes as good as you think, OK, he can be the small forward, mayo the shooting guard and then Granger can be used in a trade to get a better PF or point guard.

Is the team better off with George and Granger at the wings or Geroge and Mayo and with what granger can bring in a trade?

Hicks
02-25-2011, 11:08 AM
I mean, he has, of course, but it's always been a variation on that little crossover where he pulls it from right to left.

Except when it wasn't, like that sweet move he did to drain that buzzer-beating 3 pointer at the end of the quarter up in Milwaukee.

The question for me is whether he can expand on that and put some reverses and spins into it. I think he can.

Quite possible.

Califan
02-25-2011, 11:35 AM
I think it's to early to tell if hes going to be a top 10 player in the league, especially as a rookie. But make no mistake i like him alot on this team, he has a really good attitude, work ethic, and he fits in really good with the team. It's very rare you see a rookie that makes the game look easy and i see that in paul george, hes very smooth on the court. My best hope for him is to become the best 2 way player in the game and i can see him becoming that.

BringJackBack
02-25-2011, 12:28 PM
Sooo based on the what, 20 games he's played he's gonna be a top 10 player in the NBA! The reality on this board is amazing

Do I smell jealousy?

Kid Minneapolis
02-25-2011, 12:45 PM
I love the kid. I think he's gonna be a helluva player. I also think he's a tad overhyped on this board. Saying he's going to be top 10 is ambitious. He shows great promise in some areas and has disadvantages in others.

I love his defense all-around. He's a very good rebounder. He's a terrific last-second shot guy --- as long as it's beyond the 3-point arc. I also wonder if teams won't "figure him out" at some point and get in his grill to elimiate that shot. He pulls some pretty crazy shots out of his backside in the lane, but that's just it... he looks a lot less sure of himself once he enters the paint and they tend to be sort of out-of-control circus shots. He has no post-up game, which you'd like to see from someone of his height at his position. He could really take advantage in that area... He plays like a SG, but a post-up SG that is 6-9 can be extremely effective, ask Jalen Rose.

His height and build make him a terrific above-the-rim player on fast-breaks and smooth shooter/slasher/disher in the paint, but he looks a little lanky/awkward driving the ball to the rim.

Sometimes he defers or looks tentative when I wish he'd just square up, dominate his opponent and make a play. You can see he has the ability, but he doesn't know it yet. So he dishes off casually to someone else.

He's a rookie. He'll improve, he'll gain confidence, he'll figure stuff out, he may fill out in some areas physically --- I don't know. I think a more realistic "goal" would be top 10-20, which is still very very good. The true x-factor is that he's a 2-way guy, that's what will augment his overall effectiveness.

thatch3232
02-25-2011, 12:58 PM
If we would have got Mayo (providing PG turns into a starting caliber SF by next year), we could have traded Granger for Josh Smith or a very good PF this summer. Since we didnt, it will be way tougher to get something done. But i hope we can do something, because this team needs to improve, and has a tools to do it.

Sollozzo
02-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Is the team better off with George and Granger at the wings or Geroge and Mayo and with what granger can bring in a trade?

That's a really good way to put it. I would have felt more than comfortable shopping Danny if we had George and Mayo.

xIndyFan
02-25-2011, 01:20 PM
i really really like paul george. by next year, he looks like he could be the best player on the pacers and the best player in his draft class. just how good he will be is up to him. i just can't wait to see how the granger/george duo turns out.

:happydanc

righteouscool
02-25-2011, 01:35 PM
What has surprised me about Paul lately is how good of a passer he is. Didn't see that in his game earlier in the season, but it's been more apparent as they've put the ball in his hands more. Really like the Tyler-Paul pick and roll they've been working on, too.

Robertmto
02-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Do I smell jealousy?

of?

Taterhead
02-26-2011, 02:50 AM
maybe i'm a lot more optimistic about this. I think the Pacers had a top 10 player fall in there lap with Paul George. In fact, i think his ceiling could be higher. I know some people are bent about this Mayo trade, but honestly, I rather be mediocre for a year or two more while we wait for George to blossom as our two guard. I dont want Mayo clogging up that position. Indiana has never had a guy with as much talent as George has. I'm willing to wait this one out.

My only fear is that he gets so good, that ESPN starts making it there agenda to get George to a big market team, like they're doing now with Dwight Howard and Chris Paul, by sending there insiders on television and having them tell everyone that they're positive Howard will be a Laker in 2012 and Paul will a Knick.

Paul George is going to be one of the best.

Dude we need a lot more than just Paul George to win a championship. You can't just sit around and wait because you've got a good feeling about someone. What if he goes Jon Bender on us? What if he just hits a plateau and doesn't evolve how you think? You need other players. What's wrong with Mayo and George pushing each other in practice? Paul would benefit from playing with him. It makes it easier on him.

I really don't understand the people who want to sit back and continue to lose in front 10k every night. We obviously need more talent.

pacer4ever
02-26-2011, 03:01 AM
Dude we need a lot more than just Paul George to win a championship. You can't just sit around and wait because you've got a good feeling about someone. What if he goes Jon Bender on us? What if he just hits a plateau and doesn't evolve how you think? You need other players. What's wrong with Mayo and George pushing each other in practice? Paul would benefit from playing with him. It makes it easier on him.

I really don't understand the people who want to sit back and continue to lose in front 10k every night. We obviously need more talent.

THIS X 100000000000000000000000

people fall in love with our players so much they think we have enoght talent to be a good championship team in the future. That isnt the case we need to upgrade the talent any way we can. OJ is clearly a better talent than most of our roster if not all of our roster. Larry keep in touch with the Grizz and get OJ and or other talented players.