PDA

View Full Version : OJ Mayo better not turn out to be a star

The Future
02-24-2011, 07:45 PM
I made a thread earlier in the season that we would go after Mayo.

I was right but the trade didn't go through...

McRob and a 1st rounder (15-20) for the talented Mayo???

Damn..

BringJackBack
02-24-2011, 07:47 PM
Are you the real future?

CableKC
02-24-2011, 07:54 PM
After how many seasons has Mayo been in the NBA ( 3 or 4 seasons? ) ......if the question of whether OJ Mayo can be a star or not hasn't been answered yet....then IMHO...the likely answer is the latter...not the former.

It's entirely possible that Mayo just hasn't found the right Coach or Team and that he's an All-Star waiting to happen....but IMHO....if you haven't shown flashes of brilliance by now....then it probably won't happen. This doesn't mean that he won't be a decent to solid Starting quality SG....it just means that him being an All-Star is unlikely.

oxxo
02-24-2011, 07:58 PM
He won't.

vnzla81
02-24-2011, 07:59 PM
Here are Mayo stats for those that keep saying that he is a bust

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mayooj01.html

2008-09 21 MEM NBA 3.8 apg 18.5 ppg

2009-10 22 MEM NBA 3.8 apg 17.5

2010-11 23 MEM NBA 2.5 apg 12.1 ppg

Career NBA 3.5 apg 16.7 ppg

Psyren
02-24-2011, 08:00 PM
In all likelihood, he won't.

He's a good second option scoring wise on a lot of teams. But he's not a star.

Jared Sullinger
02-24-2011, 08:01 PM
Let's not forget that Mayo put up 19/4/3 as a rookie 18 months out of high school. He's had a rough season and needs a fresh start badly, but he has star-level talent. I would've gladly given two run-of-the-mill young players and a so-so 1st round pick for him.

02-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Here are Mayo stats for those that keep saying that he is a bust

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mayooj01.html

2008-09 21 MEM NBA 3.8 apg 18.5 ppg

2009-10 22 MEM NBA 3.8 apg 17.5

2010-11 23 MEM NBA 2.5 apg 12.1 ppg

Career NBA 3.5 apg 16.7 ppg

What disturbs me the most? His FG and FT percentages have dropped. Points per game is not a good indicator. After all, you have to consider the addition of Zach Randolph and the emergence of Marc Gasol, etc. However, when a player's percentages drop that is a strong indicator that something is wrong. I, for one, question his offseason work ethic.

vnzla81
02-24-2011, 08:08 PM
What disturbs me the most? His FG and FT percentages have dropped. Points per game is not a good indicator. After all, you have to consider the addition of Zach Randolph and the emergence of Marc Gasol, etc. However, when a player's percentages drop that is a strong indicator that something is wrong. I, for one, question his offseason work ethic.

He worked had in the offseason, I remember hearing how hard he was working and trying to move to the point guard position, he didn't have to go to the summer league and was there playing with the team.

ChristianDudley
02-24-2011, 08:14 PM
It is clear to me that there's not many people here at PD that know what they're talking about. You don't have 20 teams contacting your team about trying to trade for you...coming up with offers of Monta Ellis & filler for you and the #2 pick (Thabeet) if you're just a horrible player. Everybody knows that Mayo is an elite player with elite skills and he will soon be an NBA All-Star that everybody will be pouting over not getting earlier before he broke out. Today I blame David Stern and the NBA because of the Hornets f'ing up the trade for Mayo, and yet while McRoberts has become a very good player for us, he will never be an O.J. Mayo. O.J. has the potential to be a Kobe Bryant...in fact, most scouts compare him to Kobe, at least offensively, if not better than Kobe. This kid is special and right now Rudy Gay is ruining the Grizzlies' and Mayo's success in the NBA and we should have salvaged Mayo's career today, but unfortunately that wasn't the case. You may think I'm crazy, but be sure to come back and thank me when O.J. is making numerous All-Star teams and such in a couple of years once he figures the league out.

Trophy
02-24-2011, 08:15 PM
As long as he's in Memphis, he won't be.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 08:18 PM
As long as he's in Memphis, he won't be.

Thats why I wanted him the kid just needed a change of scenery and we were getting him on a cheap rookie contract and not trading major pieces.

d_c
02-24-2011, 08:23 PM
OJ Mayo is a decent, average, middling SG.

I would've done the deal that was proposed, but at the same time I don't think the Pacers missing out on Mayo is anything to be distraught about.

Trophy
02-24-2011, 08:32 PM
Thats why I wanted him the kid just needed a change of scenery and we were getting him on a cheap rookie contract and not trading major pieces.

I agree.

I didn't want him when I first saw the deal today, but after reading about him, I quickly changed my mind and would glady give up Josh and a pick for him.

I feel like he'd come to this organization and mature with these guys.

Hopefully Bird still keeps him in mind in the offseason.

I'd love to see him and Paul playing together.

Just wish we didn't have to get the NBA's Hornets involved.

It was surfaced around the league that it was Mayo for McRoberts and 2011 First.

Diamond Dave
02-24-2011, 08:57 PM
I have proof that OJ Mayo is not and won't be a star.....

Earlier today the Grizzlies tried to trade him for Josh McRoberts.

Pacersalltheway10
02-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Yes he will be. He IMO is the most overlooked player in terms of potential. Today's trade would have been awesome for 3 reasons.

That pick was lottery protected.
Mcroberts could be resigned in the offseason.
We get a player who can average more than Iggy, distribute more than Iggy not as good as him on defense but mayo is a quick pesky defender. We get him for basically nothing.

Note: rush and the third team werent involves until bird "insisted" on a third team.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 09:00 PM

Pau Gasol Kawame Brown ring a bell? just sayin there FO is pretty dumb there owner is also.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Yes he will be. He IMO is the most overlooked player in terms of potential. Today's trade would have been awesome for 3 reasons.

That pick was lottery protected.
Mcroberts could be resigned in the offseason.
We get a player who can average more than Iggy, distribute more than Iggy not as good as him on defense but mayo is a quick pesky defender. We get him for basically nothing.

Note: rush and the third team werent involves until bird "insisted" on a third team.

had you till you start talking about defense. OJ Mayo's defense is pretty bad and there is nothing pesky about it.

Sandman21
02-24-2011, 09:03 PM
Unless Memphis was willing to take on Rush as well, a third team would have been needed. McBob +1st for Mayo straight up doesn't clear the trade checker.

Sparhawk
02-24-2011, 09:10 PM
wonder if the Pacers will try to work a trade in the off season. maybe a sign and trade.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Unless Memphis was willing to take on Rush as well, a third team would have been needed. McBob +1st for Mayo straight up doesn't clear the trade checker.

with our TPE it might just barley clear

wintermute
02-24-2011, 09:20 PM
I hope you'll all remember we dodged a bullet the next time Mayo does something boneheaded that gets him in the wrong headlines...

wintermute
02-24-2011, 09:21 PM
with our TPE it might just barley clear

Our TPE isn't big enough to cover Mayo's salary. Memphis either needed to accept more salary or a third team was needed to take on salary (Rush, possibly another player).

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 09:25 PM
Our TPE isn't big enough to cover Mayo's salary. Memphis either needed to accept more salary or a third team was needed to take on salary (Rush, possibly another player).

if it was within 25% we woud been able to do it. I dont think they were within 25% after the TPE

NapTonius Monk
02-24-2011, 09:26 PM

Earlier today the Grizzlies tried to trade him for Josh McRoberts.:laugh:

wintermute
02-24-2011, 09:33 PM
if it was within 25% we woud been able to do it. I dont think they were within 25% after the TPE

No, that's not how TPE's work. The exact salary has to fit. Furthermore, player and TPE can't be combined. Check out Larry Coon's FAQ, it's a great resource.

Pacersalltheway10
02-24-2011, 09:49 PM
What about just straight up cash?

vnzla81
02-24-2011, 09:51 PM

Some people think Josh could be an star, maybe Memphis think this.

Trophy
02-24-2011, 09:52 PM
Some people think Josh could be an star, maybe Memphis think this.

Maybe a Josh S&T deal for Mayo in the offseason.

I want Josh to be part of this team's future, but I want us to bring in Mayo.

Psyren
02-24-2011, 09:54 PM
Pau Gasol Kawame Brown ring a bell? just sayin there FO is pretty dumb there owner is also.

:laugh: Brilliant example.

michealwilliams4
02-24-2011, 10:02 PM
Maybe a Josh S&T deal for Mayo in the offseason.

I want Josh to be part of this team's future, but I want us to bring in Mayo.

I'm the same, except I would say "I wouldn't mind Josh being a part of this team's future, but I'd rather have Mayo."

I'm very disappointed this fell through, but I would like to revisit Mayo in the offseason, even though I'd rather he just be a short term fix until George can be a full time starter. if he plays well, his reputation as a player could be flipped for a better asset than Josh could I think. I like Josh, but his abilities are limited. I'd rather have the dynamic, potentially game changing player between the two.

Really?
02-24-2011, 10:08 PM
it works on nba trade machine through espn

graphic-er
02-24-2011, 10:46 PM
I agree he is young player that is caught in a terrible organization. A change of scenery would have done wonders for him. He is known for an attitude because he wants to be the guy, and Rudy Gay has taken over that team, and he has to put up with a stupid organization. I would think that being traded for Josh McRoberts would be a very humbling experience, and probably would have set his attitude straight. Nothing like being trade for a player that nobody has ever really heard of. You think anyone in Memphis knows who Jmac is? Of course not.

The fact is, Mayo is a killer, cold blooded scorer, he just needs a team to embrace him.

IndySDExport
02-24-2011, 11:04 PM
The fact is, Mayo is a killer, cold blooded scorer, he just needs a team to embrace him.

Is there really evidence of this. His production has dropped off each of the last two seasons and this one especially.

Combined with his off court issues, I think we're giving O.J. mayo more credit than he deserves. Plenty of young talented high school kids have come into the NBA with "killer" potential. He's no Lebron or D.Snow.

15th parallel
02-24-2011, 11:15 PM

I think MEM just wants to get Marc Gasol in that deal. Although I agree that they're not wise to run the front office (ex. Thabeet as 2nd overall pick).

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 11:23 PM
I think MEM just wants to get Marc Gasol in that deal. Although I agree that they're not wise to run the front office (ex. Thabeet as 2nd overall pick).

My favorite is them refusing to pay Xaiver Henery and Vazquez only team to not offer them the full amount since they went to the rookie scale. They almost had a hold out because they refused to pay them there the full rookie scale amount and put unrealstic incetives in Vasquez's deal. They were shopping him in the pre season because the owner wouldnt fork up the money. He finnaly paid but he is just a moron. Not a very well ran team.

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/9/16/1692420/xavier-henry-grizzlies-contract-dispute-signed-michael-heisley

15th parallel
02-24-2011, 11:28 PM
My favorite is them refusing to pay Xaiver Henery and Vazquez only team to not offer them the full amount since they went to the rookie scale. They almost had a hold out because they refused to pay them there the full rookie scale amount and put unrealstic incetives in Vasquez's deal. They were shopping him in the pre season because the owner wouldnt fork up the money. He finnaly paid but he is just a moron. Not a very well ran team.

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/9/16/1692420/xavier-henry-grizzlies-contract-dispute-signed-michael-heisley

Yeah I agree. Too bad for them because they are so talented and so young, and yet they can't make some noise and become legitimate playoff contenders like OKC did. Luckily, they're still on the race on the West, but I think that team will blow up after a few years just like before.

Pacersalltheway10
02-24-2011, 11:35 PM
What about just straight up cash?

15th parallel
02-24-2011, 11:41 PM
I see Mayo as a Ben Gordon type of player. He can score, can hit tough shots, can be clutch on offense, but not that good defensively. He can rack up 20+ points on a regular basis if given lots of minutes and lots of touches. But our offense looks solid at this point. No need to be livid at this fallen-off trade.

Pacersalltheway10
02-25-2011, 12:04 AM
I made a thread earlier in the season that we would go after Mayo.

I was right but the trade didn't go through...

McRob and a 1st rounder (15-20) for the talented Mayo???

Damn..

Will the Pacers finally get him in "The Future" ?

mattie
02-25-2011, 12:09 AM
Let's not forget that Mayo put up 19/4/3 as a rookie 18 months out of high school. He's had a rough season and needs a fresh start badly, but he has star-level talent. I would've gladly given two run-of-the-mill young players and a so-so 1st round pick for him.

If Mayo can "lead" a team, than so can Granger. In other words, Mayo is not that guy, doesn't have as high as ceiling as George so in no way does it make sense to bring him here.

pacer4ever
02-25-2011, 12:12 AM
If Mayo can "lead" a team, than so can Granger. In other words, Mayo is not that guy, doesn't have as high as ceiling as George so in no way does it make sense to bring him here.

for only mcbob and a pick sure it makes sense you arent trading a lot of assets.

mattie
02-25-2011, 12:24 AM
for only mcbob and a pick sure it makes sense you arent trading a lot of assets.

No that's true, but again, what are you getting? None of us are counting on McBob to turn into a legit contributing starter, but at the same time, with George and Stephenson, I don't think Mayo brings anything to the table.. Sure the guy can score, but as someone else earlier made the connection, Mayo is a lot like Ben Gordon. Is he really that valuable? I'd argue no. In fact, I don't think he is that much more valuable than Brush.

I value players that play hard, play as a team, and can contribue, not someone who looks like he's adding something after looking at the box score.

mattie
02-25-2011, 12:27 AM
Plus there is something that McBob is really showing that is intriguing:

*He's a great passer. Passing big men are valuable, yet seem to go under the radar.
*He's a good shooter
*He's unselfish- which is important and why Physco T may not be a very good PF for the future
*Team defense

Obviously the two major issues, and more important issues, are rebounding and defense. In fact, if he could master just one of those, either rebounding or defense- I would consider him the PF that we could depend on. (to clarify, his defensive issues revolve around his lack of ability to guard anyone 1 on 1, he plays good team defense)

pacer4ever
02-25-2011, 12:31 AM
No that's true, but again, what are you getting? None of us are counting on McBob to turn into a legit contributing starter, but at the same time, with George and Stephenson, I don't think Mayo brings anything to the table.. Sure the guy can score, but as someone else earlier made the connection, Mayo is a lot like Ben Gordon. Is he really that valuable? I'd argue no. In fact, I don't think he is that much more valuable than Brush.

I value players that play hard, play as a team, and can contribue, not someone who looks like he's adding something after looking at the box score.Has Lance proven to do this ? Lance hasnt played 1 min in the NBA yet.(I might be Lancesbiggest fan on here BTW)

:wtf:

your logic doesnt make sense you dont think Josh will be that good. But you dont want a 23 yr old Mayo to join our core because of Paul and Lance's devlopement :laugh:??

easy fix

SG/SF Paul 28 mins OJ 26 mins Danny 32 mins Lance 9 min

mattie
02-25-2011, 12:34 AM
:wtf:

your logic doesnt make sense you dont think Josh will be that good. But you dont want a 23 yr old Mayo to join our core because of Paul and Lance's devlopement :laugh:??

easy fix

SG/SF Paul 28 mins OJ 26 mins Danny 32 mins Lance 9 min

No.

I think Josh definitely has a possibility to be a good PF, but depending on him to be that guy is too optimistic. On the other hand, Mayo brings NOTHING.

So, we'll go over this again- If the Pacers traded McBob, they would have traded away at the position they are lacking the most, while trading a guy that will add nothing to their strongest position.

How hard is that too understand?

pacer4ever
02-25-2011, 12:41 AM
No.

I think Josh definitely has a possibility to be a good PF, but depending on him to be that guy is too optimistic. On the other hand, Mayo brings NOTHING.

So, we'll go over this again- If the Pacers traded McBob, they would have traded away at the position they are lacking the most, while trading a guy that will add nothing to their strongest position.

How hard is that too understand?

Mayo would be the best SG on our roster right now . Saying he brings nothing is really ignorant .

mattie
02-25-2011, 12:43 AM
Mayo would be the best SG on our roster right now . Saying he brings nothing is really ignorant .

How? because at the end of the day he would end up with 15-20? While playing no defense? Hard working guys that can help improve the chemistry of the team is what wins, not somebody who jacks up too many shots and doesn't play a complete game.

Other than maybe just this season, Mayo would not improve the 2G position.

pacer4ever
02-25-2011, 12:50 AM
How? because at the end of the day he would end up with 15-20? While playing no defense? Hard working guys that can help improve the chemistry of the team is what wins, not somebody who jacks up too many shots and doesn't play a complete game.

Other than maybe just this season, Mayo would not improve the 2G position.

:imout:

saying Mayo would bring noting to the team is so ignorant

mattie
02-25-2011, 12:57 AM
:imout:

saying Mayo would bring noting to the team is so ignorant

Right. You're argument by the way is so convincing.. I like you were able to reason, using stats and analysis to back up your argument. Or wait no, you just called me ignorant because that's the best you have.

Again, how does Mayo add anything to the Pacers? How is he an improvement, now, and how is he an improvement in the long run?

Diamond Dave
02-25-2011, 02:10 PM
Right. You're argument by the way is so convincing.. I like you were able to reason, using stats and analysis to back up your argument. Or wait no, you just called me ignorant because that's the best you have.

Again, how does Mayo add anything to the Pacers? How is he an improvement, now, and how is he an improvement in the long run?

If you're looking for an intellectual debate with this guy I'd invite you to move on to greener pastures.

However if you like reading text speak filled with the hyperbole and extremism that only a person this young would dare to let represent themself then argue on.

mattie
02-25-2011, 02:14 PM
If you're looking for an intellectual debate with this guy I'd invite you to move on to greener pastures.

However if you like reading text speak filled with the hyperbole and extremism that only a person this young would dare to let represent themself then argue on.

Makes sense, didn't notice he was only 18 until you pointed it out.

90'sNBARocked
02-25-2011, 02:30 PM
As much as I am on Lance's tip, I would be the first to admit the thought of Mayo and Lance together, frightens the *** out of me

Not that they couldnt do the right thing, but if you're a recovering alcoholic, you dont rent a room thats over a bar

Sookie
02-25-2011, 02:34 PM

Quite frankly, if he continued playing the way he had in Memphis, PG is better right now. And despite both of their serious drawbacks, I'll take DJones and Brandon Rush's intensity (DJones) and defense over Mayo's 12 ppg.

diamonddave00
02-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Where will Larry Bird try to trade Brandon Rush to next? The last 3 deadlines he's been rumored in 3 trades to Charlotte in both 2009 and 10 and now to New Orleans in 2011 . Seems pretty obvious Bird only extended Rush for next season in hopes of adding him as sweetner to a trade.