PDA

View Full Version : A few thoughts: Mainly, should we care this trade didn't go through.

IndySDExport
02-24-2011, 06:27 PM
I see a lot of mixed reactions to this "botched trade" but in the end I can't help thinking "should we care?"

1. I'm personally glad we didn't get Mayo. The dudes a nut job benched by his own team and suspended for using steroid precursors that he apparently got from a "convenience store energy drink." We've been spending 4 years getting rid of nut jobs I don't think we should he testing the waters here. (Lance, you should take note here.)

2. We are going to have monster cap space this off season heading into the CBA. I think this a good thing. Yes it would have been nice to get some value for an expiring contract, but it seems clear that wasn't going to happen (Josh and Brandon weren't our expirings of value) so why waste it on some thing that won't improve our team?

3. We have the following players locked up for multiple years.
DG, PG, DC, big Roy, Psycho T. I'm pretty stoked by this. I'm not so against Brandon and Dahntay either, so I'm pretty happy with our nucleus. Especially if we can resign McBob. In my opinion, lets try to get some value during the offseason, but if nothing is available, don't waste the cap space on futility. Save it an develop our young guys. We're playing like crazy right now. They chemistry is awesome. Keep building on it.

4. Some are very concerned how we play in the east now with Miami, Boston, New York and Chicago. I think that's a huge concern, but I don't see any trade this year changing that. So I'm glad we didn't waste the cap space.

We're 9-3 with Vogel and I'm having the most fun I've had in years watching this team (I keep thinking about that 5 off. rebound sequence by Tyler last night and smiling.) I think we should calm down and enjoy the team we have. Trade deadlines are allowed to come and go with nothing happening. You can get furious at Larry and demand he go, but just remember who drafted PG, Roy (via a trade) and Psycho T.

I live in Cali, so I only get to see 2 games a year out here. For those of you in Indy. Go to Friday's game and show McBob some love. A nice chant from Area 55 would be nice. I for one am glad he is still here. I think we should let him know it.

xBulletproof
02-24-2011, 06:28 PM
I was 50/50 on the deal. I was okay with it, and I'm fine without it.

All this bridge jumping is pretty silly.

Psyren
02-24-2011, 06:31 PM
I agree with xBulletproof.

If it happened, I was fine with it. If it didn't, I couldn't really care less.

Kemo
02-24-2011, 06:33 PM
. For those of you in Indy. Go to Friday's game and show McBob some love. A nice chant from Area 55 would be nice. I for one am glad he is still here. I think we should let him know it.

+1000000000000000000000000

Kid Minneapolis
02-24-2011, 06:33 PM
I was 50/50 on the deal. I was okay with it, and I'm fine without it.

All this bridge jumping is pretty silly.

Like me ol' pappy used to say:

"Son, there's a lot of noobies in this world."

flox
02-24-2011, 06:45 PM
I'm actually more interested by our attempted trade for Mayo. Does this mean we are looking to a draft a two go along with our future 3 in George? Does this concretely set George as a 3, or was Mayo brought in as our future backup 2/3? Does this mean that Granger can be on the market and we could get a young PF prospect in return for him, if George is a 3?

I'm excited by this offseason more. I'm starting to think that we might entire the next season with no one older than 26 on our roster that is an significant player

Evan_The_Dude
02-24-2011, 06:46 PM
We're looking good as a team either way, so I really don't care about the deal. I was a little puzzled when I first heard about it but I do understand that if you have a chance to trade McRoberts for Mayo, thats common sense. Just didn't get it done.

Wilk39
02-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by IndySDExport View Post
. For those of you in Indy. Go to Friday's game and show McBob some love. A nice chant from Area 55 would be nice. I for one am glad he is still here. I think we should let him know it.

Amen, brother!

ballism
02-24-2011, 06:56 PM
I'm actually more interested by our attempted trade for Mayo. Does this mean we are looking to a draft a two go along with our future 3 in George? Does this concretely set George as a 3, or was Mayo brought in as our future backup 2/3? Does this mean that Granger can be on the market and we could get a young PF prospect in return for him, if George is a 3?

I'm excited by this offseason more. I'm starting to think that we might entire the next season with no one older than 26 on our roster that is an significant player

Indeed, that made me wonder the same thing. If you give away a pick, you are either very high on Mayo, or not that high on George as a future 2.

Or maybe this was just a move where you add an asset and worry about fit later? Personally, I think McRoberts and a crappy pick in a crappy draft is a no brainer for OJ Mayo. That's his lowest price, while his value is down. If you play him, you can sell high next year.

pathil275
02-24-2011, 06:57 PM
Yes, on paper the future is as bright as it was when I woke up this morning. The lineup is the same, the coach is the same, the cap room is the same.

But here are two other thoughts:

1) The way the FO handled the Mayo-trade casts a poor light on our organization. They screwed up (you have to come to believe that at this point). This doesn't help the cause to attract decent, let alone first-class free agents. One reason why the Clippers aren't attractive for free agents is their ownership and their front office. I am not comparing the Pacers to the Clippers, but it certainly can do harm to your franchise if you are deemed unprofessional. Even if you are located in LA.

2) Josh McRoberts and Brandon Rush (again) know that they are on the hot seat / not part of the core going forward. At least if you go with 50% of this board and claim that OJ Mayo is a ball hog who doesn't play defense. So basically McRoberts, 1st rounder and Rush for Mayo and some filler to make it financially work? Wow, should boost the confidence of these guys. From all of our players, I would expect the local kid (special bound to the Pacers) and the incosistency in person to be the ones who could be affected by this.

pwee31
02-24-2011, 07:02 PM
Indeed, that made me wonder the same thing. If you give away a pick, you are either very high on Mayo, or not that high on George as a future 2.

Or maybe this was just a move where you add an asset and worry about fit later? Personally, I think McRoberts and a crappy pick in a crappy draft is a no brainer for OJ Mayo. That's his lowest price, while his value is down. If you play him, you can sell high next year.

I think it's the latter. So many unknowns with the draft. Mayo is a proven talent, and another young asset, I thought the deal was a good one. Didn't like where that left our front court depth, but Mayo for a late lottery/mid teen pick is great value IMHO.

You do this while keeping your core, AND the expiring contracts coming off the books.

The Pacers would have been in business, even if Mayo was just a trade piece this summer.

Unfortunate the trade fell through, but we move on. Still have good chemistry and a chance to make the playoffs

flox
02-24-2011, 07:07 PM

Yeah, I don't rate this draft very highly- I was pleased that the FO was trying to trade out of it and to get Mayo as a result is just icing on the cake. I really liked this move.

But this move also raises serious questions about the positions of our players. I do think we were buying low on OJ Mayo.

Even with the trade of Rush and bringing in Mayo- it still adds a ton of questions about the future of our wings and the future position of George and if he has a place next to Granger or will he replace Granger.

Gamble1
02-24-2011, 07:14 PM
This was a cheap way to get better if I understand the trade right. Why shouldn't I be pissed that we let one slip away.

Is OJ worth it. IMO absolutely. McRoberts could have been resigned and no one in the draft would have been at OJ's talent level, atleast where we would have been drafting.

MTM
02-24-2011, 07:21 PM
I think the goal is always to improve talent, regardless of position. Not sure this deal would have done that, but Mayo is a talent. But Mayo is not necessarily a great teammate, and right now this team has some good chemistry. Josh is a huge key to the strong chemistry.

The FO may not be all at fault here. Memphis was making 2 other deals simultaneously, and there were a lot of moving parts. We've only heard Memphis' side of the story - that it was the Pacers' fault. Maybe the Pacers were simply trying to evaluate whether this deal made sense. Who knows if the Pacers really failed... maybe they decided that McBob is a better talent/teammate that Mayo.

pathil275
02-24-2011, 07:52 PM
I think the goal is always to improve talent, regardless of position. Not sure this deal would have done that, but Mayo is a talent. But Mayo is not necessarily a great teammate, and right now this team has some good chemistry. Josh is a huge key to the strong chemistry.

The FO may not be all at fault here. Memphis was making 2 other deals simultaneously, and there were a lot of moving parts. We've only heard Memphis' side of the story - that it was the Pacers' fault. Maybe the Pacers were simply trying to evaluate whether this deal made sense. Who knows if the Pacers really failed... maybe they decided that McBob is a better talent/teammate that Mayo.

And that's why they called New Orleans and another team to make it financially work?

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 07:53 PM
And that's why they called New Orleans and another team to make it financially work?

and they had the 3rd team agree but they were to late

Pacerized
02-24-2011, 08:13 PM
I'm glad the trade didn't go through. Losing our 1st wouldn't be a big deal in this draft but I don't see Mayo as worth what we were offering and I don't see him as the long term starter for us. I'm really just disapointed that LB didn't target a starting PF. Let's hope the new cba really gives us an advantage with our cap space.

Pacersalltheway10
02-24-2011, 08:19 PM
You make it sound like he is a 10 million dollar player. He is only 4 million a year. He doesn't hurt our space at all. Josh knows it's business and would most likely resign here in the offseason if the pacers offered it to him.

itzryan07
02-24-2011, 09:36 PM
well at least we are going to still have a lot of money to spend this off season

Trophy
02-24-2011, 09:38 PM
Hopefully we can get something together in the offseason.

graphic-er
02-24-2011, 09:53 PM
I think the Pacer got a greedy and swung for the fences in trying to get DWest out of NOLA. I bet the deal was all ready to go through and Bird came back and said I want Dwest too, make me an offer. He was probably willing to give up George in that deal.

LA_Confidential
02-24-2011, 09:57 PM
Yes we should care. I want an explanation from Larry and Morway. Set up the presser. We deserve an explanation.