PDA

View Full Version : I'm done.

GrangerRanger
02-24-2011, 05:55 PM
Before you stop reading and think "Oh, what an over-reacting idiot," please at least try to hear me through here. I'll try to steer clear from all those old cliches "I'm no longer a fan posts," since this will be my official farewell to the 15 years of Pacer fandom.

Today's skunked trade pretty much seals it for me. I'm a known pessimist, so maybe I'm over-reacting here, but my basic philosophy for this season was that we had the assets. We had the assets to make a trade at the deadline. Most people around the Pacers' fanbase would add an "or either nab a decent free agent in the off season" statement within that sentence, but I've come to the conclusion that's entirely impossible.

David West, who is around thirty, is really going to leave the New Orleans Hornets (a winning franchise) for the Pacers (a perennial fringe team and most likely a first round sweep this year)? I mean, how optimistic can you get? Zach Randolph? I dislike him more then I do Mcroberts and his incredible ability to start at PF in the league and average back up stats. Nene is the only slight possibility and that's if we grossly overpay him.

O.J. Mayo may not have been the solution to our team's troubles. Hell, he might have been a cancer that could have pushed this dying patient over the edge. Who the hell knows. Either way, he was something. We go into the final 20 games of this season with Brandon Rush at shooting guard, who after watching for 3 years I've finally decided I hate, and Josh McRoberts. Sweet lord god, thank you for the blessing of having such a fine and amazing talent as Josh. His ability to run the court well is unparalleled.

We had the assets to get a deal done and didn't. Now, with Carmelo Anthony just nearing 27 with another All Star on his team in his prime, there is another team we have to fight. Miami? Three hall of famers in their primes locked up for the next five years. Chicago? Derrick Rose, Carlos Boozer, Noah for the next 3-4.

I'm guessing Larry is expecting for us to be the 7th seed next year after the League Mandates that a majority of the Celtics team must retire because they've outlawed walkers and wheelchairs on the court.

Either way it's bleak future, my friends. I can't go through another 5 years of bottom feeding. Anyone who tells me that this team is going to be in the Eastern Conference Finals against the Heat in 2-3 years either don't know basketball or is Larry Bird himself.

So, yeah.. a crappy team to build around, an ever improving East, no trades in the year we needed to use assets, and a great chance of landing no one of any value in the off season without grossly overpaying them and screwing our team even worse for the future? So yeah..

I'm done.

dgranger17
02-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Good riddance

oxxo
02-24-2011, 05:58 PM
So basically you want them to make a deal for the sake of making a deal.

And yes, you are severely overreacting. The team is in a very good place; plenty of promising talent (especially George), seemingly good chemistry, and lots of cap space for FLEXIBILITY (make the RIGHT deal, not ANY deal).

And if you haven't noticed, this is Indiana. We can't make the superstar deals/trades because of finances and location. Expecting otherwise is ridiculous and you should probably just follow another team like Miami, LA, or NY.

DEEman
02-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Sorry, but you are over-reacting. We have enough upsides to look at.

huber14
02-24-2011, 06:00 PM
:wave:

BringJackBack
Two words bro: Paul George.

Just try to hold on. I questioned my fandom too when the trade didn't go down. Larry is a terrible guy at the deadline but he picked us up Paul George, Roy Hibbert, Danny Granger, Darren Collison, and Lance Stephenson who we all really want to see. We also will have $20 million in cap space.

You've stuck around this long, why not just see how this plays out?

But I do agree, it does ****ing suck that Larry put his tail between his legs and folded for the third year in a row.

presto123
Don't let the door hit you where...... I'm so glad we have a psychic on here. You already know what all these young players will develop into. We don't need more drama here. I'm jumping up and down the trade didn't happen.

Trophy
02-24-2011, 06:01 PM
Paul George.

Mackey_Rose
02-24-2011, 06:03 PM
I agree with the quote in the first line of your post.

But I would have forgone the word over-reacting.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 06:04 PM
The likely hood a small market team like us wins a title in the next 10 years is slim(minus OKC). The NBA needs to fix the system many fans are leaving for that very reason. Every year there are only a few teams who have a chance for a title. I hope the new CBA helps fix this major issue.

GrangerRanger
02-24-2011, 06:05 PM
I like how Paul George is the answer. He's the answer to the Miami Heat and the Knicks, both of which have players who were scoring near 20 points a game at the same age? Knicks have two and Heat have three.

Right. Way to be a homer.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 06:05 PM
Paul George.
Lebron James?
Lebron James couldnt win it in clevlend. I dont think you can pin our hopes on him. 1 even elite star cant get it done by himself.

IndySDExport
02-24-2011, 06:06 PM
O.J. Mayo may not have been the solution to our team's troubles. Hell, he might have been a cancer that could have pushed this dying patient over the edge. Who the hell knows. Either way, he was something.

Why is a potentially botched trade for mayo this year the last straw?
You said it yourself. He IS a cancer, one pumped on steroids from what it sounds like. It's a miracle this trade didn't go through.

The wouldn't have made the pacers better. Use the assets? How is that useful if you get back a nut job who was benched by his own team in return?

I think we have every reason to be optimistic and start enjoying this team again.

We'll have incredible cap space heading into the CBA with a bunch of young tough players already on contract.

If we can't get a great free agent this off-season then don't. Save the cap space and develop our guys who are clearly meshing together. The team is playing with heart and camaraderie again for the 1st time in years.

You ask if we could be in the conference final in 2-3 years. Probably not, but no trade we were going to pull off this year was going to chance that.

I'm just flabbergasted. We're 8-3 with Vogel. Playing exciting basketball and people are jumping off the fan wagon for us not blowing up the team...

PR07
02-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Compared to where we were just two seasons ago, this is basketball heaven right now.

It's a bummer a deal wasn't reached, but this is still team on the rise and a playoff team.

Kegboy
02-24-2011, 06:08 PM
I wasn't buying Seth's hoax theory, but now it all makes sense. Larry was desperately trying to get rid of this guy. Well played Mr. Bird, well played.

BringJackBack
02-24-2011, 06:11 PM
I like how Paul George is the answer. He's the answer to the Miami Heat and the Knicks, both of which have players who were scoring near 20 points a game at the same age? Knicks have two and Heat have three.

Right. Way to be a homer.

Fun fact: Kobe Bryant averaged 8.5 points per game as a rookie.

Fun fact: Paul George is averaging 8.1 points per game as a rookie.

Fun fact: Miami has zero, ZERO, 0, cap space. They will get theirs though.

Fun fact: The Knicks are the 6th seed right now and they play zero defense.

Fun fact: We are 9-3 under Vogel and our roster won't peak for 3-4 years.

PaceBalls
02-24-2011, 06:13 PM
rage post

So yeah..

I'm done.

lmao...
Thanks man that made my day.

ragequit posts ftw.

Psyren
02-24-2011, 06:14 PM
I feel it's a slight overreaction.

But I understand your point.

Our expirings are now worthless. Be real, people. I highly doubt any big FA comes here. This is not a prime destination. And if they do, odds are we're grossly overpaying them, so we can return to the current state of salary cap hell.

Finishing in 7th or 8th won't land you any good draft picks (in all likelihood).

At least we have young talent to hope and pray for.

For the sake of this franchise, I sure hope to hell Darren, Paul, AJ, Lance, Roy and the others turn out to be what we think they will be.

Otherwise, we shall continue to float around in our own mediocrity.

GrangerRanger
02-24-2011, 06:15 PM

Paul George is averging 8.0 points behind crap competition at 20. Kobe Bryant was 17-18 behind better talent.

No comparison there.

Pacertron
Why are you expecting Indiana to keep pace with the Heat, Celtics and Knicks? That will never ever ever happen because we cannot bring superstars here we have to raise them from within and through good drafts. If that's what you have been waiting for here than you should have left a long time ago. Being a 'fan' doesn't mean throwing a hissy fit when your small market team can't compete and bring in the big names that the big market teams bring in. Go buy a Lebron jersey so you have something to feel happy about.

I on the otherhand, like real Pacers fans, am excited to see this team we have built continue to grow and try to pull upsets against the powerhouses. Only one team a year can win the title, being a fan is about a lot more than an all or nothing mentality. I am completely relieved this trade did not go through.

Heisenberg
I don't know why some of you are upset. There's going to be a lockout next year and once they get the new CBA done all small market franchises will be erased from history.

Kid Minneapolis
02-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Woo, trade deadline = Chicken Little Day.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 06:17 PM

Miami will get stronger every year they have the MLE every year. Good players will want to take a slight discount to play in Miami.

Lord Helmet
02-24-2011, 06:21 PM
Nice job to roll over and die. That's what the Heat/Knicks/Celtics/Bulls want.

Trophy
02-24-2011, 06:22 PM
Lebron James?
Lebron James couldnt win it in clevlend. I dont think you can pin our hopes on him. 1 even elite star cant get it done by himself.

Don't be putting words into my mouth.

We know this team needs more going forward and we do have good pieces.

Shade
...PFFL?

yoadknux
You're probably right, We should have made a trade, and FA doesn't look too bright. We can still trade before the draft though, maybe we could work something out (that's really what i'm hoping for)
Our problem is that we don't gamble. We go safe. Teams that go safe get nothing. We're nowhere near being contenders. There's a chance of not even making the playoffs this year. We should have had OJ but who knows what went there.
So yes, I'm disappointed, but still looking forward to 2 things: getting to the playoffs, and getting a deal done before the draft.

And let me tell you something, most of the people here won't like it:
Paul george has a chance to develop into something special. However, every player has. Forgive me pacers fans, but I don't see him as our "superstar-franchise-leader" some of you made of him, not yet.
I want to see him first as a starter before I decide that.

battlepacer
02-24-2011, 06:24 PM
I agree with this guy you are looking at a Oklahoma City and New York fan now. I can't stand not having a good team anymore not getting OJ Mayo is a joke. Pacer fans are a joke I understand if you don't feel like this guy but if you don't have sympathy then you are just used to losing and thats not a team anyone wants to be a part of.

WV-Colt
02-24-2011, 06:25 PM
Paul George is averging 8.0 points behind crap competition at 20. Kobe Bryant was 17-18 behind better talent.

No comparison there.

Why even worry or post? You're no longer a fan. I'm confused.

Shade
02-24-2011, 06:27 PM
We can still swing a great trade next season. By being under the cap, we can absorb a star player's salary for a team looking for cap relief. It happens all the time.

All is not lost.

Larry Staverman
02-24-2011, 06:30 PM
Our expirings are now worthless.

Apparently they were worthless to other teams as well but I'm sure you must believe Bird could have just ***** a good deal.

PacerGuy
02-24-2011, 06:31 PM

No comparison there.

I thought you left already!

Go...Go NOW!!

You are DONE with US & the Pacers - WE are DONE with you.

ksuttonjr76
02-24-2011, 06:32 PM
On the bright side, we no longer have to worry about the Bobcats breathing down our necks for the 8th spot. It's ours to lose.

Psyren
02-24-2011, 06:32 PM
Apparently they were worthless to other teams as well but I'm sure you must believe Bird could have just ***** a good deal.

Try asking my opinion next time.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth though.

/Come on.

Larry Staverman
02-24-2011, 06:34 PM
Our problem is that we don't gamble.

You mean like taking the gamble on the trade for Murphy and Dunleavy to create a winner and bring back the fans.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 06:34 PM
Don't be putting words into my mouth.

We know this team needs more going forward and we do have good pieces.

you said it not me you said "Paul George"

flox
02-24-2011, 06:36 PM
Hey come on man- if I can live through the firing of O'Brien you can live through this.

Trophy
02-24-2011, 06:36 PM
you said it not me you said "Paul George"

That's all I said.

I was naming someone on this team that's going to be something special for this team.

clownskull
02-24-2011, 06:39 PM
anyone who feels like quitting on the team probably should. i don't feel like it. so a trade didn't get done- big effin deal. the more i think about it, i am actually glad we didn't change things up. i'd like to see what happens from here on out with the current roster.

Trophy
02-24-2011, 06:40 PM
At least we're in a better situation this season than last season.

We're on our way to the playoffs.

yoadknux
02-24-2011, 06:41 PM
You mean like taking the gamble on the trade for Murphy and Dunleavy to create a winner and bring back the fans.
That wasn't a gamble
Going for a troublesome guy like Mayo is a gamble though;)

BobbyMac
02-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Bye

sanders31
02-24-2011, 06:47 PM
This is my first post on this board and I am not usually one to post on things like this. I love the insight and the chatter back and fourth about all things Pacers, but this post by GrangerRanger really got to me.

I can see from your info that you are roughly the same age as I am, meaning we grew up watching the exact same pacer teams. We grew up with Reggie, Mark, the Davis Brothers. We went through the transition of players in their 30s to guys like JO, Artest and Sjax. We watched as we threw punches in the palace of auburn hills. Then we watched the next day as Stern systematically ripped our team apart and destroyed a once very proud franchise. So guys like us have made it through the highest of highs with the Pacers and the lowest of lows. But now on deadline day 7 years after the brawl, you are done. Well all I can say is good riddance, think about how much you are over reacting. You came back after Ron Artest climbed into the stands and threw a haymaker at some guy from 8 mile, taking not only that season away from us but also taking away Reggie Millers best shot at a title. You got through that...but OJ Mayo is the straw that broke the camels back? Oj Mayo, the guy who every where he has been he has been in the headlines for everything but making plays? Well if thats the case than i guess you are not the guy that has been on the roller coaster ride that is being a Pacer fan.
Its very easy to go ahead and give up all allegiance when you have guys like Lebron to go root for. Guys who like yourself quit when the first little thing doesn't go right. This team and franchise has crawled back from the brink to become the most financially flexable team going into this offseason. It doesn't make sense to make a trade for trades sake, especially for a guy who is a headcase. Not to mention plays the one position where it looks like we have the next superstar in Paul George.
The reason Im posting this is not to just single GrangerRanger out. But i have a feeling over the last few years this is has been the reaction by quite a few "Pacers Fans". Just because we are not winning 50 games a year like early in the decade, people decide to jump off the bandwagon, but now we are relevant again and the front office still can't catch a break. Its just very frustrating to me and i am sure most of you true blue fans out there to see someone just come out and bash this team, cause we don't/can't make a trade for a big name guy. We have done a damn good job with building this team! Could we use help, hell yeah we could use more help. Boston, LA, Miami were all looking to get better today, and they are the best of the best allegedly. But getting better doesn't mean leveraging your franchise to get a questionable talent. Maybe Im in the minority but I like standing pat and waiting out the new CBA and free agency. More importantly though I love this team...Win Lose or Draw...Whether we win 60 games or 10, in a city like this, a market like this we have to have our "true" fans. So GrangerRanger jump off the bandwagon...I hear the clippers have open seats.

Sorry for the rant on the first post, i just cant stand bandwagon fans

MTM
02-24-2011, 06:48 PM
I don't know GrangerRanger. But this guy has posted over 800 times and been a member since 2007.

We all have those moments, as fans and in life generally, when something gets so frustrating it feel like it's time to throw up hands and quit. EVERYONE does.

Shouldn't PD posters look at the guy and encourage him to keep caring, step away from the computer for awhile, and come back, rather than bid him goodbye as if it's no big deal? Maybe it's me feeling like we should be a team amongst ourselves, but I think our goal is to remind him how it made sense to stand pat without a knee-jerk trade, develop our young talent, and see what happens. If we disagree, we disagree. But it's not something to lose a poster over, and it's our job to remind him to stay. Isn't it?

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 06:51 PM

Gamble? we knew what Murpleavy was it wasnt a gamble it was plain stupid

GrangerRanger
02-24-2011, 06:51 PM
I basically was done after a 10 minute conversation with someone I've went to almost every game with the past 4 years. We laughed for a majority of that ten minute conversation when he said, "Nene man.. I can just see him coming here."

I was like, "F**k you. A Nene and Granger tandem won't do ****." We laughed for a good deal on this (I've honestly not laughed that much in my life, at least on the phone) and agreed that both of us getting giddy over a team that's below five hundred and going to be a first round sweep this year is retarded.

And anyone who thinks we're going to get a superstar through a trade next year is in denial.

BringJackBack
02-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Yeah things pretty much really, really, really suck right now for sure..

Pacemaker
02-24-2011, 06:55 PM
I don't know GrangerRanger. But this guy has posted over 800 times and been a member since 2007.

We all have those moments, as fans and in life generally, when something gets so frustrating it feel like it's time to throw up hands and quit. EVERYONE does.

Shouldn't PD posters look at the guy and encourage him to keep caring, step away from the computer for awhile, and come back, rather than bid him goodbye as if it's no big deal? Maybe it's me feeling like we should be a team amongst ourselves, but I think our goal is to remind him how it made sense to stand pat without a knee-jerk trade, develop our young talent, and see what happens. If we disagree, we disagree. But it's not something to lose a poster over, and it's our job to remind him to stay. Isn't it?

Generally speaking I think that's the way things are nowadays. I get the perception that is easier to hate than to love, easier to ignore than to care.

02-24-2011, 06:56 PM
Before you stop reading and think "Oh, what an over-reacting idiot," please at least try to hear me through here. I'll try to steer clear from all those old cliches "I'm no longer a fan posts," since this will be my official farewell to the 15 years of Pacer fandom.

Quick, que the violins. We don't have violins? How about a sound track of Slick singing, "Turn Out the Lights"?

yoadknux
02-24-2011, 06:56 PM
I basically was done after a 10 minute conversation with someone I've went to almost every game with the past 4 years. We laughed for a majority of that ten minute conversation when he said, "Nene man.. I can just see him coming here."

I was like, "F**k you. A Nene and Granger tandem won't do ****." We laughed for a good deal on this (I've honestly not laughed that much in my life, at least on the phone) and agreed that both of us getting giddy over a team that's below five hundred and going to be a first round sweep this year is retarded.

And anyone who thinks we're going to get a superstar through a trade next year is in denial.
Not a superstar. but I never would have guessed we could do this mcbob+first for OJ, and it almost happened.
who knows whats going to happen later

Psyren
02-24-2011, 06:58 PM
Yeah things pretty much really, really, really suck right now for sure..

I think everyone here (for the most part) is in a generally crummy mood. Whether Mayo would have made any difference nobody will know.

But, I don't think things suck.

We're 9-3.

We have a competent (Or so it seems) coach.

Paul George's future is bright.

Lance is active/court case dismissed

I'll be the first to admit, I'm upset about what happened earlier. Not because I'm in love with Mayo, or even that I wanted a deal to happen. I'm just in a sour mood because of the way it happened.

Regardless, the rest of this season looks promising. As do our future seasons.

Now future players on this team/stars coming here, pssh, that seems like a joke. (Yes, I had to throw in some negativity ;))

I can't wait for tomorrow nights game. Hopefully once we all head off to bed tonight we can come back tomorrow worried about that game and the rest of this season. No sense in staying hung up on what should have been.

GO PACERS

BringJackBack
02-24-2011, 07:07 PM

Get that **** out of here. You're just mad that we didn't do a deal.

Basketball is a team game and tandems don't do **** without role players. We are 9-3 since the idiot has been gone and Roy has been averaging 17.7 points per game since he's been gone. That is just terrible, terrible play. Darren is a second year guard and is known around the league as a future fringe all-star. He's a second year guy. Danny is who he is and that is a consistent 20 ppg scorer. Paul George will be a star in this league whether you want him to be a star or not.

You must have not been a fan of the 90's Pacers teams. Who was their star? Where were their amazing tandems? That's right. They were right where we are at right now. We won't peak for 3-4 years and you're just being pessimistic for the hell of it.

Before you bring that "Reality" crap into this, keep in mind that your version of reality is different than everyone else's. Reality sure sucks.. Detroit won the title a couple of years ago and they could have won it two more times. If it weren't for Michael we'd be sitting on some titles too.

Darren Collison
Paul George
Danny Granger
Player X
Roy Hibbert

With Vogel at the helm and some very solid role players at the very least I think that we will be a perennial semi-conference finals team. I'd like to see you in Oklahoma City's position two years ago. I'd like to see you complain about how Durant is soft and Westbrook will always be a volume shooter who defenses don't trust and Jeff Green is a losing player.

Seriously, get over the fact that we couldn't/didn't trade for a guy who averages 12 ppg in 28 minutes.

BringJackBack
02-24-2011, 07:07 PM
I think everyone here (for the most part) is in a generally crummy mood. Whether Mayo would have made any difference nobody will know.

But, I don't think things suck.

We're 9-3.

We have a competent (Or so it seems) coach.

Paul George's future is bright.

Lance is active/court case dismissed

I'll be the first to admit, I'm upset about what happened earlier. Not because I'm in love with Mayo, or even that I wanted a deal to happen. I'm just in a sour mood because of the way it happened.

Regardless, the rest of this season looks promising. As do our future seasons.

Now future players on this team/stars coming here, pssh, that seems like a joke. (Yes, I had to throw in some negativity ;))

I can't wait for tomorrow nights game. Hopefully once we all head off to bed tonight we can come back tomorrow worried about that game and the rest of this season. No sense in staying hung up on what should have been.

GO PACERS

I was being sarcastic. :laugh:

BrownBearCoffee
02-24-2011, 07:09 PM
Yeah, I know I'm relatively new here, but let me just get a word in. I completely understand the frustration off the failed deal. I would have liked to have seen how Juice worked out here, as well. However, if I stop to think about it, Juice would have simply been a band-aid at SG, and I don't even think he would have been that great of a band-aid.

PG24 is raw. Nobody knows how he is going to turn out, but I, for one, think his future looks promising and solid, at the very least. I personally feel that if a name like Eric Gordon had come over the wire this afternoon, and we had failed to get that one done, it would have officially been time to question the direction of the team, but when it comes to Gordon you're talking about a guy at a whole other level (IMHO a potential face-of-the-franchise guy, especially in Indiana).

All that being said, let's take a deep breath and continue supporting our 9-3 surging youngsters. After all, don't forget that they've become fun to watch again... just sayin' ;)

Psyren
02-24-2011, 07:10 PM
I was being sarcastic. :laugh:

Haha sorry. My apologies for my little rant :p

Made me feel a bit better though :D

daschysta
02-24-2011, 07:18 PM
Don't let the door hit you on the way out. We're playing well, change for change's sake is idiotic.

ChristianDudley
02-24-2011, 07:19 PM
I agree man. O.J. Mayo was born to be elite and he eventually will once a couple of things line out for him, and today we really got screwed over by who I'm blaming to be the NBA & David Stern (they own the Hornets; the Hornets held up the trade). I don't think we'll necessarily be a bottom feeder with our current roster in the near future because I think George will turn into a tremendous player (definitely even better than Danny has ever been, which is really saying something for PG), we have solid rotation players, Danny is still an All-Star-caliber player, Darren Collison will definitely always be an All-Star-caliber player, plus Roy could be one of the top centers in the league (which I think he's getting real close already), so all in all, our future as it is is really bright even without Mayo. I am disappointed with not getting O.J. today, but I'm not gonna quit on the Pacers just because the deal didn't go through--we're still 8th in the East right now!!!

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 07:20 PM
Don't let the door hit you on the way out. We're playing well, change for change's sake is idiotic.

so we were playing well enoght to compete in the playoffs? :eek:

Psyren
02-24-2011, 07:21 PM

Compete? I think most teams can compete on a nightly basis.

Win? No :laugh:

hoosierguy
02-24-2011, 07:23 PM
What the hell, are you living in the Twilight Zone?

The Pacers are playing great basketball with a bunch of highly talented young players who will only continue to improve.

And I didn't mention the MASSIVE cap space they will have this summer.

The future is so bright, I've got to wear :cool2:.

Kemo
02-24-2011, 07:24 PM
First , let me say I dont think we were getting mayo to keep him, but for a bigger trade on down the line for a 4 ..

I am more disappointed that McBob was the one on the trade block to be honest..

Granted , Mayo is definitely intriguing ,but Josh is a fan favorite as well as one of my top 4 favorite Pacers on this team..

I really hope that Josh doesn't feel like he was sucker-punched in the gut by a team that he literally BLEEDS BLUE AND GOLD for ..

I know when I first read the headline with McBob in the title , as a fan , I felt that way ..

I dunno, IMO when you have a team with a 9-3 record since the Vogel era started , and our guys playing so very well developing GREAT chemistry... YOU DONT F%^% that up... period...

I really hope this doesnt affect chemistry , and our chances at re-signing Josh... I hope it doesnt mean we dont plan on re-signing him either... I want to see him as a lifer here.. much like Foster has been.. As I see him only getting better and carving out his place in our core ..

Even with the trade not going down , although I feel relief , I also feel like the wind has been taken from our sails... Let's hope not..

BrownBearCoffee
02-24-2011, 07:28 PM
I am more disappointed that McBob was the one on the trade block to be honest..

Granted , Mayo is definitely intriguing ,but Josh is a fan favorite as well as one of my top 4 favorite Pacers on this team..

I really hope that Josh doesn't feel like he was sucker-punched in the gut by a team that he literally BLEEDS BLUE AND GOLD for ..

I know when I first read the headline with McBob in the title , as a fan , I felt that way ..

I dunno, IMO when you have a team with a 9-3 record since the Vogel era started , and our guys playing so very well developing GREAT chemistry... YOU DONT F%^% that up... period...

I really hope this doesnt affect chemistry , and our chances at re-signing Josh... I hope it doesnt mean we dont plan on re-signing him either... I want to see him as a lifer here.. much like Foster has been..

Even with the trade not going down , although I feel relief , I also feel like the wind has been taken from our sails... Let's hope not..

I'm right there with you. To me, McBob is a Pacer, period. He just fits the bill in my mind for some reason. I certainly hope he doesn't take a personal exception to this mess of a deal.

oxxo
02-24-2011, 07:29 PM
I agree man. O.J. Mayo was born to be elite and he eventually will once a couple of things line out for him, and today we really got screwed over by who I'm blaming to be the NBA & David Stern (they own the Hornets; the Hornets held up the trade). I don't think we'll necessarily be a bottom feeder with our current roster in the near future because I think George will turn into a tremendous player (definitely even better than Danny has ever been, which is really saying something for PG), we have solid rotation players, Danny is still an All-Star-caliber player, Darren Collison will definitely always be an All-Star-caliber player, plus Roy could be one of the top centers in the league (which I think he's getting real close already), so all in all, our future as it is is really bright even without Mayo. I am disappointed with not getting O.J. today, but I'm not gonna quit on the Pacers just because the deal didn't go through--we're still 8th in the East right now!!!

Born to be elite? The dude already has had plenty of burn to show that he has what he takes, all while taking roids. The guy is a dime-a-dozen guard.

Kemo
02-24-2011, 07:32 PM
For the record, it wasnt "roids" it was essentially the same supplement chemical that , wasnt it Rashard Lewis had taken unknowing it wasnt allowed?

To me, if you can buy it in a healthfood store , it shouldnt be banned.. but thats just my opinion...

Marlin
02-24-2011, 07:36 PM
It was DEHA. You don't really find it in a healthfood store, it's forbidden all over the sports world as an anabolyc substance. He did what he did knowing it.

GrangerRanger
02-24-2011, 07:37 PM
I want someone to actually come out of la la land and say, "Man, you're an idiot. We will compete in the East next year. And no, not first round sweep, I'm talking a playoff series win."

Not gonna happen.

ilive4sports
02-24-2011, 07:41 PM
Lol cool story bro! A trade that falls through makes you not a Pacers fan? Guess you weren't really one to begin with.

Man people are taking this pretty hard.

troyc11a
02-24-2011, 07:47 PM
Born to be elite? The dude already has had plenty of burn to show that he has what he takes, all while taking roids. The guy is a dime-a-dozen guard.

Exactly - If he was so good why was Memphis giving him to us for JMac and a middle first pick in a weak draft? The answer is = he is not the answer! Next year he would merely be George's backup.

BringJackBack
02-24-2011, 07:48 PM
We're going to win eleventy championships in a row followed by Stern having a heart attack due to us doing it without being a large market team. Paul George averages 668 points per game on 73.234523% shooting and OJ Mayo isn't in the league next year. Our trade exception with a first round pick lands us Lebron James who comes off the bench for Danny Granger and Paul George. Dwight Howard begs for us to sign him for the vet's minimum, but we already have Roy Hibbert who averages 27 RPG and 69 points per game and doesn't miss a shot all year and we already have Foster who averages 11 offensive rebounds per game and gets in a fight every single game. Lance Stephenson explodes two years from now and averages 20 assists, 19 points, and 5 rebounds per game making Tyreke Evans look like a scrub. Tyler Hansbrough puts on a couple of pounds next season and he makes Karl Malone/Blake Griffin look like Justin Bieber at 8 years of age.

Tyler Hansbrough works on his passing in the offseason and has a 31 assists game (Most of all time in the NBA).

There. I said it. That good enough GrangerRanger?

Oh yeah, we also sign Magnum Rolle in the offseason and he is the steal of the draft in 2010 as he becomes the next Kevin Garnett.

I hope I don't sound like a homer or anything. I'm right, aren't I?

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 07:48 PM
Exactly - If he was so good why was Memphis giving him to us for JMac and a middle first pick in a weak draft? The answer is = he is not the answer! Next year he would merely be George's backup.

He wasnt good in the locker room got in a fight with Tony Allen on the team plane it was time to move on.(not saying he is a elite but thats the reason they wanted to trade him)

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 07:52 PM
We're going to win eleventy championships in a row followed by Stern having a heart attack due to us doing it without being a large market team. Paul George averages 668 points per game on 73.234523% shooting and OJ Mayo isn't in the league next year. Our trade exception with a first round pick lands us Lebron James who comes off the bench for Danny Granger and Paul George. Dwight Howard begs for us to sign him for the vet's minimum, but we already have Roy Hibbert who averages 27 RPG and 69 points per game and doesn't miss a shot all year and we already have Foster who averages 11 offensive rebounds per game and gets in a fight every single game. Lance Stephenson explodes two years from now and averages 20 assists, 19 points, and 5 rebounds per game making Tyreke Evans look like a scrub. Tyler Hansbrough puts on a couple of pounds next season and he makes Karl Malone/Blake Griffin look like Justin Bieber at 8 years of age.

There. I said it. That good enough GrangerRanger?

Oh yeah, we also sign Magnum Rolle in the offseason and he is the steal of the draft in 2010 as he becomes the next Kevin Garnett. and tells LBJ he is a cancer to our team and the league ;).

Trophy
02-24-2011, 07:52 PM
I was mad when we didn't get Mayo today, but I'm looking forward to the rest of this season more than previous years.

We're on our way to the playoffs and after that, we'll evaluate our team and bring in guys who will make the team good along with our core.

I feel like Bird will keep Mayo in mind. He's a talented player and would be a good piece to this teams core with Paul and Lance backing him up.

Hibbert
02-24-2011, 07:54 PM
But I do agree, it does ****ing suck that Larry put his tail between his legs and folded for the third year in a row.

But he didn't.

BringJackBack
02-24-2011, 07:55 PM
But he didn't.

Yep..Admittedly I was wrong about that one. It was Orleans.

PacerDude
02-24-2011, 07:57 PM
Yada-yada-yada.I thought you were done ??

Did I mis-read something ?? :shrug:

ndcoltsnpacers
02-24-2011, 08:06 PM
I thought you were done ??

Did I mis-read something ?? :shrug:

He's not. Generally when someone says they're done with something on an Internet message board it means they're not. If he spent all that time to write up his first post, he clearly cares. It was just his way of venting. Some people eat a gallon of ice cream, some drive around with their music all the way up yelling profanities, some people do this.

Really?
02-24-2011, 08:06 PM
wow didn't know that the trade of brush with NO was going to include 2 players and a 1st round pick... that would have really made up for the first and Josh.. now I am kin of disappointed that we werent able to get that done...

Really is an extension out of the question... too good of a 3 team deal for us not to make this happen...

QuickRelease
02-24-2011, 08:34 PM

Right. Way to be a homer.And you think acquiring OJ Mayo is a step to that? I'd say Brandon Rush's defense is way more valuable against those teams than more offense. It should be noted that we've scored over 100 points in every game since Frank took over? I know we need a reliable go to guy down the stretch, but I highly doubt OJ Mayo is the guy that solves that.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 08:38 PM
And you think acquiring OJ Mayo is a step to that? I'd say Brandon Rush's defense is way more valuable against those teams than more offense. It should be noted that we've scored over 100 points in every game since Frank took over? I know we need a reliable go to guy down the stretch, but I highly doubt OJ Mayo is the guy that solves that.

OJ would be better than Danny in crunch time if we are just gonna keep calling ISOs(Like we have for Danny during his time in Indy).

Day-V
02-24-2011, 08:48 PM

What, you don't think so?

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 08:48 PM
What, you don't think so?

win a game or 2 maybe but win a series no

BillS
02-24-2011, 08:49 PM
this will be my official farewell to the 15 years of Pacer fandom.

Translation:

&lt;<i>spoiled rotten whining about a team that only had 5 losing years in the last 15, complaining that the Pacers couldn't trade our worst players for Melo, taking spoiled brat ball and going home</i>&gt;

:wave:

Day-V
02-24-2011, 08:49 PM
win a game or 2 maybe but win a series no

Gotta crawl before you walk. Talked to Denari about this today, actually.

QuickRelease
02-24-2011, 08:51 PM
OJ would be better than Danny in crunch time if we are just gonna keep calling ISOs(Like we have for Danny during his time in Indy).Maybe. But I like our defensive intensity at times, and he brings none of that.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 08:54 PM
Maybe. But I like our defensive intensity at times, and he brings none of that.

Ya his defense is pretty terrible

daschysta
02-24-2011, 08:59 PM
If were suddenly ok taking on problem players i'd rather get zbo over the summer as a FA.

NuffSaid
02-24-2011, 09:15 PM
GR,

I know you're frustrate - trust me, I get angry with this team from time-to-time as well - but I think you're over reacting a bit here.

Using the Hawks as an example, they went through years of rebuilding, but they slowly acquired the pieces to form a pretty solid team. They may not win a title because they really don't have the depth nor a true playmaker, ala Kobe, LeBron, D-Wade, but they do have something the Pacers have been working towards for some time - team unity/chemistry.

It wasn't until JOB left did interim coach Vogel start utilizing the same starting five players consistently. It's the only way players will ever become familiar with each other and play to such a degree that their actions and reactions are automatic. Look at what happened last night against the Pistons? Granger makes a last second pass to BRush nobody saw coming and he's able to slam it home for the last second win. You think that kind of improvison would have happened last year? The year before? It only happens when you work together, become familiar with each other and most of what you do is on automatic. Soon, you start anticipating what your teammates will do and things just seem to flow naturally. We're beginning to see forms of that happening with this team now.

I expect the Pacers will make the playoffs this year. March will be a difficult month due to the number of road games, but I think they'll get to the post-season. I don't expect they'll go far, however. But they should get their and do so on their own terms; not like the last two-years where they fought hard attempting to get in at the end of the season only having to rely on what other teams around them do to get in. This time they should be able to control their own destiny.

"Win the games you're suppose to, compete in all the rest."

I like what I see of this team under Vogel. For once, I'm fine that they didn't make a trade. Why hamper the progress they've begun to make just for the sake of making a trade?

PacersRule
02-24-2011, 09:20 PM
It sucks seeing NY, NJ, OKC getting some big players with us not making a single move, but right now I don't really want to think about any of it. I don't really want to think whether the Pacers have a chance to win a championship in 10 years. I just woke up from a nightmare of Obrien being head coach, Watson being starting pg, Murphy being starting PF...I just wanna savor the rest of the season and watch Pacers play basketball. We are on the rise, slowly but surely, and it's only the beginning.

mb221
02-24-2011, 09:21 PM
I want someone to actually come out of la la land and say, "Man, you're an idiot. We will compete in the East next year. And no, not first round sweep, I'm talking a playoff series win."

Not gonna happen.

So basically if this team isn't winning, you can't be a fan of it? Instead of saying what you just wrote in quotes, I'll change the sentence around a little bit..

"Man, you're an idiot."

Don't need to go much further than that.

spreedom
02-24-2011, 09:30 PM
I believe Super Bowl MVP Aaron Rodgers said it best: "Get on board now or keep your mouths shut."

Day-V
02-24-2011, 09:38 PM
What baffles me is why someone would choose to jump off the bandwagon NOW. Now when we have a new coach who has revived an entire team and fanbase in 3 short weeks. A team that is not just competing, but winning in that time. A team that has scratched and clawed it's way back to not only compete for the playoffs, but have a realistic shot at reaching .500.

Why NOW? Why not back in late December, early January when spirits were low with O'Brien making coaching decisions that many considered to be highly (highly) questionable. Why not back in 2006 with Stephen Jackson, Tinsley, and everyone else committing their acts? Why not after last season which was the definition of "underwhelming"?

I guess what I'm saying is, if one has stuck around this long, why on earth would they abandon ship just as the tides appear to be turning in our favor? It's dumbfounding. This isn't the stock market, you don't buy low and sell high.

owl
02-24-2011, 09:38 PM

They may be worthless now but that cap space will be worth a fortune in the next 1-2 years as players become available.

Day-V
02-24-2011, 09:41 PM
They may be worthless now but that cap space will be worth a fortune in the next 1-2 years as players become available.

Agreed. While I think it's a priority, I will not be TOO disappointed if we're unable to bring in anyone in Free Agency this offseason. It's not like this is the only year we'll have good cap room. The following season should be just as good cap-wise.

tadscout
02-24-2011, 09:42 PM
I didn't felt like ready all this, didn't think it was worth it... but to those frustrated with the pacers... the HORNETS pulled out of the deal at the deadline, (http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/211433/Hornets_Pulled_Out_Of_Mayo_Three_Way) it wasn't our fault... so get over it

IndySDExport
02-24-2011, 10:45 PM
OJ would be better than Danny in crunch time if we are just gonna keep calling ISOs(Like we have for Danny during his time in Indy).

I have to ask, respectfully, based on what evidence? I've seen Danny plenty good in the clutch in the past. I think about against Detroit last night. The buzzer beater against phoenix last year. What evidence do we have that O.J. Mayo is a crunch time star? Plus, with JOB gone, hopefully the Danny ISOs are a thing of the past.

joeyd
02-24-2011, 10:52 PM
I agree with the quote in the first line of your post. But I would have forgone the word over-reacting.

Mackey Rose and I have again found common ground!!

joeyd
02-24-2011, 10:56 PM
...this will be my official farewell to the 15 years of Pacer fandom... yeah...I'm done.

I find it strange that after 800+ posts, you have been "thanked" a few times, but have yet to "thank" anyone yourself. Should you decide to come back, you might start your posts up again by giving some "thanks" to the people that have tried to stop you from jumping off the cliff and have tried to instill a sense of realism and optimism for the future.

idioteque
02-24-2011, 11:00 PM
Wow, a long day of work and I just learned of the days events.

I am sort of torn up about Mayo, I won't lie. But I'm not sure if this guy is really a winner or lives up to the hype. You'd think that Gay/Mayo/Gasol would be a core absolutely worth sticking with, but apparently Memphis thinks not. But, this is Memphis so I guess you never know. I guess I will be more upset if we have a totally boring offseason.

What really worries me is that the fun loving Vogel era is already over. I don't know how these guys will react having been on the block so obviously. It is really really poor form for our organization and something FAs or at least their agents will notice. The business aspect of this is ugly and quite frankly, it makes me sad because I think this fun loving group lost some of its innocence.

mattie
02-24-2011, 11:07 PM
Listen I highly doubt McBob would be that offended for getting traded for Mayo. These people are human. They don't have massive ego's that must be stoked at all times.. Frankly McRoberts was probably thinking, "wow memphis would give up Mayo for me??!" It's also worth noting that it looks like Memphis initiated the trade from the start, and Bird simply made the decision he was ok with it.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 11:09 PM
I have to ask, respectfully, based on what evidence? I've seen Danny plenty good in the clutch in the past. I think about against Detroit last night. The buzzer beater against phoenix last year. What evidence do we have that O.J. Mayo is a crunch time star? Plus, with JOB gone, hopefully the Danny ISOs are a thing of the past.

dude the game last night was a Danny ISO that went wrong we lucked out.
They arent a thing of the past that is our go to play in crunch time.

Last year in PHX was a set play a screen for danny to get open. Which is what we should run for him every game in crunch time!!!!!!!! NOT THE ISO!!! The only reason that was the play call was there was only .9 or whatever on the clock not enoght time to call a Danny ISO. Catch and shoot was the only option.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZVVWzM8hV0I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thats really an iso ?? i didnt think so (remember I am speaking about purley an ISO player in crunch time. If we didnt call ISos primarly we wouldnt be having this talk)

For one thing O.J can dribble and break his man down off the dribble Danny cant in crunch time. He can make tuff shots and can create his own shot. Paul George and Lane are the only ones on our team who could have the potential to be good ISO players at the end of games. A guy you give the ball to and tell him to when you the games. Danny is a better player tha O.J but OJ is better in the ISO department.

This talk could be avoided if the coaching staff drew up plays during crunch time and not call mainly iso. I suggest PnR DC2 and Danny. Or PnR with DC2 and Roy and have Danny running around coming off mutplie picks.

BringJackBack
02-24-2011, 11:13 PM

Last year in PHX was a set play a screen for danny to get open. Which is what we should run for him every game in crunch time!!!!!!!! NOT THE ISO!!! The only reason that was the play call was there was only .9 or whatever on the clock not enoght time to call a Danny ISO. Catch and shoot was the only option.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZVVWzM8hV0I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thats really an iso ?? i didnt think so (remember I am speaking about purley an ISO player in crunch time. If we didnt call ISos primarly we wouldnt be having this talk)

For one thing O.J can dribble and break his man down off the dribble Danny cant in crunch time. He can make tuff shots and can create his own shot. Paul George and Lane are the only ones on our team who could have the potential to be good ISO players at the end of games. A guy you give the ball to and tell him to when you the games. Danny is a better player tha O.J but OJ is better in the ISO department.

This talk could be avoided if the coaching staff drew up plays during crunch time and not call mainly iso. I suggest PnR DC2 and Danny. Or PnR with DC2 and Roy and have Danny running around coming off mutplie picks.

Brandon and Josh look a lot younger in that video than they do now.. They're growing up on us. Haha.

IndyPacer
02-24-2011, 11:29 PM
I'm done.

http://media.bonnint.net/seattle/3/396/39641.jpg

Git! GIT!

ilive4sports
02-24-2011, 11:41 PM

There are very few players that can get away with running an ISO for on the last play at the game. We should always be running Danny around screens to get a shot at the end of games. I'd much rather Danny coming off a screen for a shot than Mayo going ISO.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 11:53 PM
There are very few players that can get away with running an ISO for on the last play at the game. We should always be running Danny around screens to get a shot at the end of games. I'd much rather Danny coming off a screen for a shot than Mayo going ISO.

Totaly i agree 100% but we never do that refering to running Danny off screens. For some reason we call ISO's doesnt make sense to me. I was just pointing out Mayo is a better ISO player than Danny.

IndyProdigy
02-24-2011, 11:54 PM

No comparison there.

Cedric Ceballos, eddie jones, and George McCloud was the competition he had to beat out???

Seems as though Paul George has a more difficult time here...and btw, he was avg. 7.6 in 15 min per. and nothing else above that. Paul has contributed in ways as a back up Kobe only wish he couldve, especially on the defensive end...

Foul on Smits
02-24-2011, 11:54 PM
I dont know if this has been mentioned or not, but ...

Paul George

Sandman21
02-24-2011, 11:55 PM
Thread of the week.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 11:56 PM
Cedric Ceballos, eddie jones, and George McCloud was the competition he had to beat out???

Seems as though Paul George has a more difficult time here...and btw, he was avg. 7.6 in 15 min per. and nothing else above that. Paul has contributed in ways as a back up Kobe only wish he couldve, especially on the defensive end...

Eddie Jones was an all star in fact both him and Kobe went to the game Kobes 2nd yr in the league Kobe was just 19.

Hicks
02-25-2011, 12:48 AM
We can still swing a great trade next season. By being under the cap, we can absorb a star player's salary for a team looking for cap relief. It happens all the time.

All is not lost.

Right. I'll admit I'm not optimistic, but I'm not necessarily pessimistic, either. We'll have our puncher's chance at being a contender. That may not be ideal, but it's not bleak, either.

Hicks
02-25-2011, 12:52 AM

Not gonna happen.

I understand your frustration. I feel it, too, sometimes. I won't join the others who are saying, "Don't let the door hit you in the ***..." I'll say you're always welcome back if/when you change your mind.

Some of you (hell, a lot of you) are being too harsh on him. If he didn't feel something for the team, he wouldn't be here in the first place, nor would he feel enough frustration to make a thread like this to begin with. But even if I'm wrong, I just don't get the need to take shots at him regardless of his feelings on the team. (And I mean this in a friendly way) who cares? Not worth kicking him over it IMO.

mattie
02-25-2011, 12:56 AM
Seconded, get your head straight, consider the facts and reality; and come on back.

bellisimo
02-25-2011, 05:33 AM
dude you've been married to the Pacers for 15 years....take it easy...breathe....and wont you please think of the children? divorce should be the last resort...work out your differences...dont give up...grass is not always greener on the other side...

Rogco
02-25-2011, 09:25 AM
Woo, trade deadline = Chicken Little Day.

The sky is falling, The sky is falling!!!!

Day-V
02-25-2011, 09:28 AM
The sky is falling, The sky is falling!!!!

http://pictureperfectsandiego.com/files/2009/12/disney-chicken-little-sky-falling.jpg

Rogco
02-25-2011, 09:34 AM
Bah, the NBA has always been skewered towards the big market teams. In fact, if you're looking for a time to be optimistic about the Pacers, now is probably the brightest time in 5 years, and just about the brightest in 30 for small market teams.

Small market team league owners are getting sick of losing money and being bottom dwellers. The negotiations between owners is going to be just as interesting as the negotiations between owners and players in the upcoming CBA. Even with the talk of contraction, there are so many more have-not NBA teams in the league that are essential to the continued success of the product, and this CBA gives them a chance to flex their muscles and to make changes that will help the smaller markets and hopefully make the NBA a more even league. This has become even more pronounced with the recent creations of "superteams" as stars collude to play together in big markets.

Ok, no trade was done and the free agent market this summer isn't the best, but to have a low payroll with a talented and young core of players who play exciting basketball under the youngest coach in the league, combined with massive uncertainty in changes to the league cap, profit sharing etc... I think there are plenty, and I mean plenty, of reasons to be optimistic for the future of the Pacers.

And most importantly, they're fun to watch and fun to support for the first time since JOBs first year.

90'sNBARocked
02-25-2011, 09:59 AM
I think some were a little rude to the OP. I understand boiling points, and frustration. I am shell-shocked myself

I am sure he will still follow the Pacers, after all there not that easy to get oout of your mind :)

RWB
02-25-2011, 10:43 AM
The OP maybe frustrated and venting...but, when someone posts they are leaving aren't they encouraging others to do the same. I'm mad, come join me. Nope, I lived thru the George Irvine plague. :eek:

graphic-er
02-25-2011, 11:36 AM
I can't believe this thread has so many posts in it. Let the guy revel in his own rage. He'll be back, they always comeback. You can't quit your team. Pacers....I just can't quit you.

90'sNBARocked
02-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Maybe, he is on Jim O'Brien's payroll

Stop infiltrating Jim you rat *******

Califan
02-25-2011, 11:53 AM
Well you lose one fan you gain one! I like this team for many reasons, I believe indiana is the home of basketball in america, they have good young players with developing chemistry, they have a hall of famer as gm ( i know that doesn't mean squat) but the fact bird is a hall of famer gains interest from me, very loyal fans, the best arena in the nba imo, and this well ran forum. This isn't chicago, new york, LA, or some other huge city, but if i were a nba superstar i would love to play here with the fans and support the team gets. This team is pretty popular imo because it appeals to the average fan across america or the world that i feel attracts people to support this team, it's hard to root against this team. All that being said, yes im from sacramento but i just moved there and while i like the kings i suppose, i hate the owners with a passion and there probaly moving somewhere else. I've been a fan of the pacers since i was a little kid watching miller, rik smits, marc jackson etc. Just my 2 coppers.

RWB
02-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Welcome to PD Califan.

IndyPacer
02-25-2011, 01:39 PM
Well you lose one fan you gain one! I like this team for many reasons, I believe indiana is the home of basketball in america, they have good young players with developing chemistry, they have a hall of famer as gm ( i know that doesn't mean squat) but the fact bird is a hall of famer gains interest from me, very loyal fans, the best arena in the nba imo, and this well ran forum. This isn't chicago, new york, LA, or some other huge city, but if i were a nba superstar i would love to play here with the fans and support the team gets. This team is pretty popular imo because it appeals to the average fan across america or the world that i feel attracts people to support this team, it's hard to root against this team. All that being said, yes im from sacramento but i just moved there and while i like the kings i suppose, i hate the owners with a passion and there probaly moving somewhere else. I've been a fan of the pacers since i was a little kid watching miller, rik smits, marc jackson etc. Just my 2 coppers.

Welcome. I'm a native Hoosier but also spent some time living in California, including a summer doing research at UC Davis next to where you're from. Indiana is a great basketball state even though my poor Pacers and Indiana University (my alma mater) Hoosiers have struggled a bit in recent years. But I think my local teams are now on the rise, so you picked a good time to come here.

GrangerRanger
02-06-2012, 01:38 PM
I'm an idiot.

Mackey_Rose
02-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Before you stop reading and think "Oh, what an over-reacting idiot," please at least try to hear me through here.

I agree with the quote in the first line of your post.

But I would have forgone the word over-reacting.

I'm an idiot.

Told you.

RichardHawes
02-06-2012, 01:45 PM
LOL this is hilarious but kudos on the mention of David West

Major Cold
02-06-2012, 01:52 PM
http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/rde0418l.jpg

Enjoy the ride.

GrangerRanger
02-06-2012, 02:00 PM
I'm not trying to cover for myself, because I was an idiot and I did over react.

But I think this thread goes to show how dismal things were even last year as Pacer fans. I don't think I was the only one down in the dumps around the trade deadline last year.

How things have changed, Pacer fans.

P.S. I love that you proved me wrong, Mr. West.

HC
02-06-2012, 02:12 PM
So youre not done yet? That doesn't make you an idiot, it just makes you a bandwagon fan.

graphic-er
02-06-2012, 02:14 PM
I can't believe this thread has so many posts in it. Let the guy revel in his own rage. He'll be back, they always comeback. You can't quit your team. Pacers....I just can't quit you.

Yeah! I was right.

BTW...I can't believe that post did not get any thanks last year. I mean come on people that was a Broke Back Mountain reference!

90'sNBARocked
02-06-2012, 02:15 PM
no, he was frustrated just like all of us were and probably we all have thought the same at times

welcome back :)

PacersHomer
02-06-2012, 02:16 PM
I'm not trying to cover for myself, because I was an idiot and I did over react.

But I think this thread goes to show how dismal things were even last year as Pacer fans. I don't think I was the only one down in the dumps around the trade deadline last year.

How things have changed, Pacer fans.

P.S. I love that you proved me wrong, Mr. West.

Bandwagon fan.

Hicks
02-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Why does anyone care if he's bandwagon or not? How does that impact you in any way?

vnzla81
02-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Yeah! I was right.

BTW...I can't believe that post did not get any thanks last year. I mean come on people that was a Broke Back Mountain reference!

Never got to watch the movie and never will.

GrangerRanger
02-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Well, to be completely honest, I don't care if anyone labels me as a bandwagon fan. Maybe I am. But I never stopped watching the games last year. It was a part of my schedule for too long just to break it off like that. I just stopped spending my money on attending games.

If I've lost all my respect as a Pacer fan, I don't mind.

beast23
02-06-2012, 02:33 PM
I'm an idiot.
Lucky for you no one stuck a fork in you to see if you truly were done.

Apparently, you were just medium cooked, and not totally done.

Welcome back, I guess.

Pingu
02-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Well, to be completely honest, I don't care if anyone labels me as a bandwagon fan. Maybe I am. But I never stopped watching the games last year. It was a part of my schedule for too long just to break it off like that. I just stopped spending my money on attending games.

I think that the mere fact that you've been a member of PD since 2007 and that you have 842 posts means (1) you're not a bandwagon fan and (2) you haven't lost all respect as a Pacers fan. Bandwagon fans don't invest that kind of time/commitment in a team. They just tune in ESPN to watch Heat highlights... :D

Merz
02-06-2012, 02:39 PM

Don't want to take this off topic...but that movie is really not as "bad" as people who haven't seen it think. Heath Ledger acted his *** off (I honestly think it was his best performance, better than the Joker IMO).

Now back on topic. For those calling GrangerRanger a bandwagon fan: Wouldn't he have jumped off the bandwagon much sooner than last year if he was a bandwagon fan?

MnvrChvy
02-06-2012, 02:44 PM
Oh come on guys. We all get frustrated at times. Give the guy credit for digging up his own crow to munch on.

Haywoode Workman
02-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Don't want to take this off topic...but that movie is really not as "bad" as people who haven't seen it think. Heath Ledger acted his *** off (I honestly think it was his best performance, better than the Joker IMO).

cuz their was gay in it ewwwwwiiiiieeeee!!

vapacersfan
02-06-2012, 02:48 PM
I love the Pacers to death, and I enjoy most of the posters here, but I will NEVER understand the notion or a true vs "not true" fan.

I have been a Pacers fan for years, and I have been a Redskins fan for years. Some years (read since Dan Snyder bought Washington) I cannot stand to watch the Redskins, and once JOB was hired I refused to pay for NBALP for the Pacers.

Some people have financial reasons, some have emotional reasons, others simply find other hobbies as the one they currently have is not enjoyable. I am a theater major, and if we had a show that sucked (for whatever reason) people stopped paying and stopped showing up. If was not our fault to call them "fake thespians" but instead it was up to us to improve the product and show them there was a reason to come back.

Instead of mocking fans who have left (for whatever reason(s)) why not show them things are infact better now and there is a reason to come back and cheer for the team. Sticking through the good and bad is great and all, but if you are not having fun then I see nothing wrong with finding another hobby or activity to fill that empty void.

Just my .02

(my fiance is looking over my shoulder at the airport and says she loved the dancing banana. So for her :dance::dance::dance:)

Brohan Cruyff
02-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Oh come on guys. We all get frustrated at times. Give the guy credit for digging up his own crow to munch on.

I can't count the number of times I've said similar things, and haven't gone through with it (about the Pacers and other teams). Doesn't make you a bandwagon fan if you don't actually leave.

McKeyFan
02-06-2012, 02:49 PM
How can you razz a guy for riding the bandwagon through Normandy, the South Pacific, and 'Nam before finally jumping off?

PaceBalls
02-06-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm an idiot.

You may be an idiot, but I admire the fact you were able to admit it. :cool:

Go Pacers!

ndcoltsnpacers
02-06-2012, 03:00 PM
If he had just started posting again and hadn't brought this up, who would've even remembered this? I sure had forgotten it until I read it again, so that's big balls to come back and bump it. I say welcome back, now that you've had your crow how about occupying a seat in Bankers Life?

Kid Minneapolis
02-06-2012, 03:05 PM
Welcome back, no more sky is falling posts okay? At least until the end of the mayan calendar.

graphic-er
02-06-2012, 03:05 PM

cuz their was gay in it ewwwwwiiiiieeeee!!

:hmm:

Come on now, Don't disparage folks who like a different stroke.

Eddie Gill
02-06-2012, 03:17 PM
I just stopped spending my money on attending games.

I'm cool with you...as long as you get your *** to the Fieldhouse.

Unclebuck
02-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Bad teams are a lot closer to being good then we realize and good teams are a lot closer to being bad then we would want to admit.

Am I surprised we are 16-7 yeah, that is better than I figured, am I surprised we are a really good team? Nope. I remember several posts from about a year ago where I painted a scenerio where we could turn it around very quickly.

Pig Nash
02-06-2012, 03:26 PM
I think Haywood was being sarcastic, graphic-er.

AesopRockOn
02-06-2012, 03:55 PM

Don't worry, it happens several dozen times in every game thread. ;)

Bball
02-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Jim O'Brien could've ran off even the most hard core of fans. Hard to sit thru his coaching and lack of firing and not start to question if you care more about the team than the organization itself.

HC
02-06-2012, 04:03 PM
Geez can't say anything around here without green font or a winking smiley. I'm a lifelong Dallas Cowboys fan so I know a little bit about being called a bandwagon fan...even though I'm not....I was just messing around.

gummy
02-06-2012, 04:10 PM
I'm an idiot.

:laugh:

Happens to most of us. Well, some way more than others, but...most people won't ever admit it, so props to you. ;)

Welcome to yoooooour 16-7 road warrior Indiana Pacers! :buddies:

gummy
02-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Yeah! I was right.

Sorry I missed it at the time, well done. :cool:

gummy
02-06-2012, 04:16 PM
:hmm:

Come on now, Don't disparage folks who like a different stroke.

I think Haywoode was trying to make a sarcastic funny. :)

Sandman21
02-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Troy Murphy could've ran off even the most hard core of fans. Hard to sit thru his rebound stealing and lack of defense and not start to question if you care more about the team than the organization itself.

FYP.:D

As much as I hated JoB, he never came as close as Troy Murphy did to running me off as a fan of the team.

McKeyFan
02-06-2012, 04:44 PM
FYP.:D

As much as I hated JoB, he never came as close as Troy Murphy did to running me off as a fan of the team.

That's like hating the flying monkeys more than the witch.

Sandman21
02-06-2012, 04:48 PM
All you had to do with witches is either drop a house on them or throw a bucket of water at them.....

The flying monkeys move too fast to drop a house on them, and water don't faze em either!

mattie
02-06-2012, 05:15 PM
I've always tried to make a clear distinction between bandwagon fans, and fairweather fans...Bandwagon means supporting a team from some other city, which I despise. Fairweather generally means people hate watching a bad product. I understand it, and frankly, they're probably a lot smarter than us idiots who've watched a lot of bad basketball over the years.

cdash
02-06-2012, 05:32 PM

Oh god I hated those flying monkeys.

That is a fantastic analogy though. Well done :laugh:

ECKrueger
02-06-2012, 05:32 PM
I can definitely admit there were many occasions I didn't watch games during the dark ages. I would still get the final scores from ESPN texts, and occasionally check the box score or highlights if we did well. Always read this site obviously. However, when the team sucks, or at least the team being out there sucks, and you have to watch on a crappy internet feed when you should be doing homework, I am not going to go out of my way to watch games. I certainly don't blame you for not paying to go to games. Obviously this was a little bit of an overreaction though.

Props for admitting it though.

Major Cold
02-06-2012, 06:06 PM
Dude you weren't done. You were saving money. My picture was on referring to the high-low times of the NBA and how that can drive us crazy. Sorry if you were offended. I'm an idiot.

Bball
02-06-2012, 06:11 PM

Wow! Analogy of the year.... :D
LOL

HC
02-06-2012, 09:58 PM
I've always tried to make a clear distinction between bandwagon fans, and fairweather fans...Bandwagon means supporting a team from some other city, which I despise. Fairweather generally means people hate watching a bad product. I understand it, and frankly, they're probably a lot smarter than us idiots who've watched a lot of bad basketball over the years.

People can't help where there parents are from and what they raise them to be. My mother and uncles were all born and raised in Dallas, and my mother happened to move up to Indiana in high school to be with her mom.

AesopRockOn
02-07-2012, 03:25 AM

So, are you saying....

http://i.imgur.com/Xr6kB.jpg

Pacergeek
02-07-2012, 12:06 PM

Now back on topic. For those calling GrangerRanger a bandwagon fan: Wouldn't he have jumped off the bandwagon much sooner than last year if he was a bandwagon fan?

Ledger was clearly better in Broke back mountain. I thought his joker performance was way over the top. If he hadn't tragically passed away, no chance he wins the Oscar

Banta
02-07-2012, 12:37 PM
All you had to do with witches is either drop a house on them or throw a bucket of water at them.....

The flying monkeys move too fast to drop a house on them, and water don't faze em either!

I dunno, man. The flying monkeys can poop on you from the air. That's pretty dastardly.

Since86
02-07-2012, 12:44 PM
So, are you saying....

http://i.imgur.com/Xr6kB.jpg

Now we just need a photo of the Wicked Witch with Jim's face, and Murphy, Dunleavy, and Posey's faces on the monkeys.

:laugh: