PDA

View Full Version : Kendrick Perkins to OKC for Jeff Green | Updated: Perkins signs extension with OKC

Jared Sullinger
02-24-2011, 03:56 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski (WojYahooNBA) on Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/WojYahooNBA)

Boston has agreed to send Kendrick Perkins to OKC for package that includes Jeff
Green, sources tell Y!

Doddage
02-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Wow, I don't like that for Boston, really at all. They need Perkins' presence inside.

LA_Confidential
If so, this is a monster deal for both teams.

Hicks
Fascinating. Boston apparently is happy to work with Shaq and JO down the stretch (JO is coming back, right?), and I guess also next year.

I guess they plan on blowing it up after 2012?

PacerFan31
02-24-2011, 03:58 PM
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
OKC will also send Nenad Krstic to the Celtics for Perkins, source says.

http://twitter.com/#!/WojYahooNBA

Hicks
Wait, Woj just said OKC is sending Krstic to Boston. So there you go.

Trophy
That's bad deal for Boston.

Shaq isn't gonna be their center for much longer and JO isn't the answer as a starter.

Day-V
Maybe that knee was a concern for them.

LA_Confidential
Wow, I don't like that for Boston, really at all. They need Perkins' presence inside.

They've got Shaq, JO and Erdin. They'll be fine. Jeff Green also give them a future building block with Rondo and Big Baby.

Dr. Awesome
02-24-2011, 03:59 PM
Wow, great for the Thunder. They are forming what could potentially become one of the best dynasties ever.

Kraft
Erick Damper doesn't scare them, eh?

CooperManning
I'm fairly shocked Boston would do this.

croz24
02-24-2011, 04:00 PM
interesting how the good teams continually try to get better

CooperManning
02-24-2011, 04:01 PM
Also, Memphis gets Battier for Thabeet and a first.

Young
WOW! I can't believe this. Maybe I think too highly of Perkins but I really don't like that trade for the Celtics. Their big men depth was a huge advantage they had over every other team in the league.

Doddage
They've got Shaq, JO and Erdin. They'll be fine. Jeff Green also give them a future building block with Rondo and Big Baby.
None of those guys provide the interior defense that Perkins does, imo. He's their difference maker against teams like Orlando and LA with inside presences.

Really?
02-24-2011, 04:02 PM
wow a lot of crazy trades today can we get one please... Battier for Thabeet and a draft pick...

Hicks
02-24-2011, 04:02 PM
Wow, great for the Thunder. They are forming what could potentially become one of the best dynasties ever.

:spock:

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 04:03 PM

Na John Wooden and ucla

Marlin
02-24-2011, 04:04 PM
Erick Damper doesn't scare them, eh?

Howard and Gasol/Bynum should.

IUfan4life
02-24-2011, 04:07 PM
good trade for both sides. OKC gets the best defensive center in the league, and Bostons gets a young talented player along with getting rid of Perk who is prone to injuries

ilive4sports
02-24-2011, 04:22 PM
Don't really like the trade for Boston. Love it for OKC. Boston doesn't have that same defensive post presence anymore with Perkins gone. I love Shaq, but he can't log the minutes needed. OKC is getting a defensive stud at center. Remember people were saying they were gonna run at him in the offseaason? They got him now

And all Dr. Awesome was saying is they could be forming one of the best dynasties ever. Who is to say they aren't? Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka, Perkins, and Harden are all very good players and are all very young still. And they have cap room. This team is going to be scary.

Unclebuck
02-24-2011, 04:34 PM
wow, I am shocked.

I thought the C's needed Perkins to guard Howard. Unless they fear that perkins is becoming injury prone.

Shaq and JO isn't goin to do it

CT Pacer
02-24-2011, 04:35 PM
They just traded Semih Erden too....WOW. Now it is just Shaq and JO who are both hurt. Is Big Baby going to start at center?? I don't understand this.

Justin Tyme
02-24-2011, 04:45 PM
They just traded Semih Erden too..

To who, for what?

CT Pacer
02-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski: Boston has traded Semih Erdan and Luke Harangody to Cleveland for a second-round pick, source tells Y! about 22 minutes ago

cdash
02-24-2011, 04:59 PM

High praise for a team that has yet to get out of the first round.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 05:19 PM
1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply » WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
As you'd expect, Celtics vets are livid over trade of Kendrick Perkins, sources say. He's the tough guy, enforcer. But BOS can't pay him..

Unclebuck
02-24-2011, 05:21 PM
stupid move by the Celtics

flox
02-24-2011, 06:07 PM
What a dumb move by the Celtics. Wow. The title will not be going through Boston this playoff race. The Celtics just shot themselves in the paint.

The Jackson shimmy
02-24-2011, 06:21 PM
OKC is positioning themselves nicely to really prosper in the WC in
a couple years when Duncan hangs up his 'spurs' and Kobe starts
to lose a step.

Of course, if Howard heads out the LA in 2012-13, that might put
a crimp in their plans.

Shade
02-24-2011, 06:27 PM
Terrible deal for Boston. May cost them a championship.

SoupIsGood
02-24-2011, 06:37 PM
I had Boston winning it all this year. Not anymore.

In the long-term, though, snagging Jeff Green for a guy you weren't going to pay is pretty nice.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 06:39 PM
I had Boston winning it all this year. Not anymore.

In the long-term, though, snagging Jeff Green for a guy you weren't going to pay is pretty nice.

not really he will be a free agent this year and will have to pay him a pretty penny

battlepacer
02-24-2011, 07:31 PM
I'm thinking of being a Blazer fan but I'm not sure yet Oklahoma City might be the future.

pwee31
02-24-2011, 07:44 PM
Does anyone realize Jeff Green was the pick the Celtics traded to get Ray Allen?

Now they trade Perkins to get him back... full circle for Jeff Green

BlueNGold
02-24-2011, 07:52 PM
Unless his knee is an issue or he was some kind of cancer, this was a bad move by Boston. Reminds me of the time we moved Antonio Davis for Baby Bender in terms of the team losing sight of the possibilities for the season. The Celtics could get another ring, but I think this hurts their chances.

ilive4sports
02-24-2011, 07:57 PM
High praise for a team that has yet to get out of the first round.

he clearly says they have the potential to be one of the best. Considering how young OKC is not making it past the first round isn't a bad thing, especially since they played the eventual NBA Champs in LA. They even won 2 games.

Looking just three years down the road, I don't think there is a team in the West that will be in better position than OKC.

cdash
02-24-2011, 07:58 PM
he clearly says they have the potential to be one of the best. Considering how young OKC is not making it past the first round isn't a bad thing, especially since they played the eventual NBA Champs in LA. They even won 2 games.

Looking just three years down the road, I don't think there is a team in the West that will be in better position than OKC.

I know what he said, but one of the greatest dynasties? Just seems way too premature for that. Championship contender? Sure, but dynasty? That's a big word.

Justin Tyme
02-24-2011, 08:25 PM
Does anyone realize Jeff Green was the pick the Celtics traded to get Ray Allen?

Now they trade Perkins to get him back... full circle for Jeff Green

Yes, I did. When I saw the thread, it struck me funny as the #5 pick Seattle got in the Ray Allen trade became Jeff Green.

I don't understand that trade at all. Who is Green suppose to replace in the Celts line up? It won't be KG or PP. Perkins was one of the few centers in the league who can defend Howard and others w/o a double team. I see Boston having shot themselves in the foot with this trade. JMOAA

Marlin
02-24-2011, 08:37 PM
It may have already been mentioned, but Robinson went to OKC as part of the deal.

BlueNGold
It's really a confusing move. I don't see how this can help Boston...really now or in the future. It reminds me...just a little...of the Allen Iverson for Chauncey Billups trade that sent Detroit down the standings. What they do have is Shaq who might have just enough to get them through the year. Maybe JO is well rested.

After this year, they blow it all up and get in a position to move to the post-Garnett era. But this could have been another ring. I seriously doubt they have enough without more help in the paint.

pwee31
I think the trade was mostly made b/c of contract extension talks, just like multiple deals this year.

Celtics offered Perkins a contract, he turned it down thinking he could fetch more in FA.

Instead of overpaying or losing him for nothing, they tried getting value out of him

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 08:47 PM
It may have already been mentioned, but Robinson went to OKC as part of the deal.

Most likley as a 3rd stringer behind Maynor

ilive4sports
02-24-2011, 08:52 PM
I know what he said, but one of the greatest dynasties? Just seems way too premature for that. Championship contender? Sure, but dynasty? That's a big word.

I think Kevin Durant is that special. Only team that I think has a brighter future is, *gasp* Miami (oh how upset so many people are to be reading that).

BlueNGold
02-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Instead of overpaying or losing him for nothing, they tried getting value out of him

They would have been better off letting him walk. Now they'll be watching the Heat go to the finals. Lebron probably should take Ainge out for dinner.

Sollozzo
02-24-2011, 08:54 PM
I know the Celtics weren't going to be able to afford him in the off-season, but that shouldn't matter now. Winning a championship this year is all that they should care about. The window with the Big 3 isn't staying open that much longer and Perkins gave you the best chance to win this year, which is all that matters. Bad trade.

ballism
02-24-2011, 08:57 PM
Maybe they have a hunch there's a nice buyout incoming, and the player prefers them? Sam Dalembert maybe? Or Joel Przybilla?
If that's not the case, Boston has screwed up this one royally.

ilive4sports
02-24-2011, 08:57 PM
I know the Celtics weren't going to be able to afford him in the off-season, but that shouldn't matter now. Winning a championship this year is all that they should care about. The window with the Big 3 isn't staying open that much longer and Perkins gave you the best chance to win this year, which is all that matters. Bad trade.

Exactly. Sure they wouldn't have been able to keep him, but the really just lost the championship IMO. The gap between Miami and Boston wasn't that significant before the trade and now I think it's in Miami's favor. Plus if they play Orlando in the playoffs, who is stopping Dwight? Shaq fouled out in like 10 mins of play against him las time.

ksuttonjr76
02-24-2011, 08:59 PM
They would have been better off letting him walk. Now they'll be watching the Heat go to the finals. Lebron probably should take Ainge out for dinner.

I was thinking the same thing! I would have won the Championship first, and negotiated with Perkins under the new CBA. With the trade, they basically handed the ECF to Miami. I don't think Orlando is good or deep enough team to handle Miami's Big 3.

CT Pacer
02-24-2011, 09:00 PM
I know Perkins is a great defender and all but being from New England I see a lot of Celtics games and he makes a lot of those "WTF" plays. He misses passes and layups at a very high rate. I constantly find myself saying damn it Perk what are you thinking?? I for one think he's a tad bit overrated and I know everyone will say they would have beat LA with him ... blah blah blah.

clownskull
02-24-2011, 09:02 PM
None of those guys provide the interior defense that Perkins does, imo. He's their difference maker against teams like Orlando and LA with inside presences.

plus- shaq and j.o. are not only washed up ability wise, they are busted up and if you are putting your hopes that they can hold together physically- you are very likely to be disappointed. i think shaq last blocked a shot or even manged to bother a player in the paint about 3 years ago. he's nothing anymore. jermaine is bender- like fragile these days. he definitely has been washed up for a long time now.
i think this hurts boston. but if it does- i don't care about coastal teams so i hope it does hurt them.

ksuttonjr76
02-24-2011, 09:04 PM
Now that I'm thinking about it...with Wade and Lebron attacking the basket, Howard won't stay in the game long enough to be factor. Before you had Perkins...then KG...then Shaq...then JO...then Erdan.

BringJackBack
02-24-2011, 09:06 PM
What do you guys think Boston's motive is in this deal? Doesn't make any sense to me.

CT Pacer
02-24-2011, 09:08 PM
What do you guys think Boston's motive is in this deal? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Maybe Perkins had his mind set on testing free agency....Maybe they see Jeff Green as a replacement for Marquis Daniels....Maybe Danny Ainge is high?

BringJackBack
02-24-2011, 09:09 PM
Even under those circumstances you'd think they'd keep Perk around the rest of the season to try to win another title. They NEED Perk.

They essentially just traded Dale Davis for a rich man's Troy Murphy.

ksuttonjr76
02-24-2011, 09:10 PM

Completely blow up the team in the summer of 2012?

BlueNGold
02-24-2011, 09:13 PM
OH MY! I think the pieces are falling into place. I think I know exactly why this happened!

Sollozzo
02-24-2011, 09:43 PM
Exactly. Sure they wouldn't have been able to keep him, but the really just lost the championship IMO. The gap between Miami and Boston wasn't that significant before the trade and now I think it's in Miami's favor. Plus if they play Orlando in the playoffs, who is stopping Dwight? Shaq fouled out in like 10 mins of play against him las time.

Exactly. The Big 3 are having phenomenal seasons this year and given their age, you never know when something could happen. Capitalizing on this season should be all that matters right now, not what is happening after it.

DrFife
02-24-2011, 10:45 PM
Assuming we succumb before reaching the finals, Goooo OKC!!

Unclebuck
02-24-2011, 10:57 PM

$$$

vnzla81
02-24-2011, 11:01 PM
Good deal for the Celtics, Green is a young player that they could use in the future together with Rondo, he would also help them to win the title now.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 11:07 PM
Good deal for the Celtics, Green is a young player that they could use in the future together with Rondo, he would also help them to win the title now.

:wtf: who is gonna guard dwight better ? who is gonna guard Paul and Bynum??

vnzla81
02-24-2011, 11:10 PM

they have a bunch of guys at center that can get the job done, I don't think Perkins knee is healthy enough and they don't want to give him a long term commitment.

Really?
02-24-2011, 11:10 PM

Not sure but they just picked up some center from the d league that can be used to foul bynum, lol

ilive4sports
02-24-2011, 11:15 PM
they have a bunch of guys at center that can get the job done, I don't think Perkins knee is healthy enough and they don't want to give him a long term commitment.

Who? Shaq and JO? Neither are healthy and both foul. They can't guard Dwight.

BringJackBack
02-24-2011, 11:17 PM
$$$

I get that.. But why in the world don't they push for the title THIS year like they should be and worry about the $$$ later??

Their window is closing and they might have just slammed it shut..

vnzla81
02-24-2011, 11:18 PM
Who? Shaq and JO? Neither are healthy and both foul. They can't guard Dwight.

Perkins wasn't healthy.

Hibbert
02-24-2011, 11:21 PM
Good for Boston. I thought Green carried more value than that. He is only 24, two years younger than Perk and steady producing. Perk also has double the years played by Green.(8 to 4). Perk has never played a full season and he never will, hes too fat and out of shape. Wonder if Ainge knows something about that knee?

Unclebuck
02-24-2011, 11:22 PM
I get that.. But why in the world don't they push for the title THIS year like they should be and worry about the $$$ later??

Their window is closing and they might have just slammed it shut..

Yeah, doesn't make any sense to me.

I have to figure something that we don't know about is factoring in.

BringJackBack
02-24-2011, 11:25 PM
Got to be something like his knee or something in the locker room.. No clue.

NapTonius Monk
02-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Not to worry! Troy Murphy to save the day! After he's bought out and the Celts sign him, everyone will be asking, "Perk who?"

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 11:41 PM
Got to be something like his knee or something in the locker room.. No clue.

If it is his knee the Thunder will send him right back thats what they did with Tyson Chandler. Tyson didnt even mis time that season there medical taff will make sure he is healthy or the deal wont happen.

I dont think it is in the locker room thoes Vets love Perkins and Rondo. KG and Rondo are like brothers. Did you watch boston celtics the association? It was a good show that showed what there locker room was like. It is loose as a goose they dont go to pratice untill 12pm or 1pm. Most teams pratice early.

vnzla81
02-24-2011, 11:45 PM
I forgot about Big Baby, he has always been able to play good D on Howard.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 11:50 PM

No that was Perkins. Baby is tuff but he cant guard elite centers Perk could

MarvelousMarvin
02-24-2011, 11:52 PM

They're betting that Orlando really isn't a competitor I think. I agree that they aren't its Miami and Chicago so they don't have to worry about that elite 5. Great pickup for OKC to be able to be guard Bynum/Gasol.

BlueNGold
02-25-2011, 12:06 AM
Nobody bit.

It's pretty apparent that Jim has been advising Danny Ainge...reminding him that he won his last championship with James Posey stretching the floor at the 4.

Here is their plan. It's easy as 1-2-3:

1) Replace the slow and bulky Perkins with Green...another stretch 4. This will clear the lane for Shaq to go to work.

2) Intercept Troy Murphy on his way to the airport and drive him down to Boston. Troy can backup Green and Shaq. A line-up including both Green and Murphy might be too much for the Lakers. Three point shooting records in the playoffs will almost certainly be broken. In fact, all 5 players will never even touch the paint on offense.

3) Jim replaces Doc Rivers and leads the Celtics to another championship.

Hicks
02-25-2011, 01:41 AM
I can only assume Boston thinks Shaq and JO will be enough to still get passed Miami and Orlando.

With regards to Miami, I still believe that to be true. They didn't need Perkins against them.

Orlando is more puzzling, as is a potential Finals matchup with Los Angeles.

But honestly, Orlando and LA both don't seem as good as everyone thought they would be before the season started. Maybe they're convinced that A) They're both more beatable than they were before and/or B) They won't even have to deal with one or both of them in the playoffs.

I could see that. It's a risk, for sure, but it's not plain stupid.

Unclebuck
02-25-2011, 10:17 AM
I still hate this trade for the Celtics. And I really, really like jeff green as a player, i think he is a winner a glue guy, excellent defender, one of those type of guys that a team really mises when they are gone. (but all those things can be said about Perkins also)

Rogco
02-25-2011, 11:10 AM
This trade has changed my play-off hopes for the Pacers. I really hope we play Boston in the first round. Still think we'd lose, but without Perkins I think we'd give them a good run, maybe take a couple games.

BringJackBack
02-25-2011, 03:10 PM
Might I add that this trade is all kinds of good for the Thunder. This is probably a top five trade this year in the league. Jeff Green is terrible as a four, a lot like Murph, and he gets moved for the best defensive center in the league who is an intimidator. What also happens is that Serge Ibaka is moved into the starting lineup to flourish and he has a chance to really show his effectiveness and block shots with Perk playing great post defense.

They still need a two though.

CooperManning
02-25-2011, 03:16 PM
They still need a two though.

Not if Harden pans out.

BringJackBack
02-25-2011, 03:17 PM
True that Coop, but he just looks like a good 6th man unless if he gets a lot better in the next couple of years.

MagicRat
02-25-2011, 03:18 PM
Nobody bit.

It's pretty apparent that Jim has been advising Danny Ainge...reminding him that he won his last championship with James Posey stretching the floor at the 4.

I know it's a joke and all, but while interviewed during the Celtics/Nuggets game last night, Doc did bring up that the last time they won the championship James Posey was in their closing lineup at the 4 with KG at the 5.......

SMosley21
02-25-2011, 03:27 PM
I know it's a joke and all, but while interviewed during the Celtics/Nuggets game last night, Doc did bring up that the last time they won the championship James Posey was in their closing lineup at the 4 with KG at the 5.......

Saw that as well. They're planning on using Jeff Green in the same role that they used Posey in before. Seems logical actually, since they have enough talent on that team to make it work.

BlueNGold
02-25-2011, 08:22 PM

I was only half joking. I didn't hear Doc, but I know Posey was a key player during the playoffs...and no I am not joking about that. That was awhile ago though.

In any event, what you point out is not surprising because it crossed my mind when I posted it.

pacer4ever
02-26-2011, 04:31 AM
Saw that as well. They're planning on using Jeff Green in the same role that they used Posey in before. Seems logical actually, since they have enough talent on that team to make it work.

Yes Jeff is a more verstile James Posey. He does a lot of things well and shooting is one of them.

Jared Sullinger
03-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Scratch Kendrick Perkins off of your free agent wish list...

Kendrick Perkins Inks Extension With Thunder | Thunder Rumblings (http://blog.newsok.com/thunderrumblings/2011/03/01/kendrick-perkins-inks-extension/)

The Oklahoma City Thunder has agreed to terms on a contract extension for Kendrick Perkins, the 6-foot-10 center acquired via trade with Boston last Thursday, The Oklahoman has learned.
Terms of the deal were not immediately known, but Perkins is eligible for a four-year extension. Perkins earlier this season had turned down a four-year offer worth approximately $22 million from the Celtics.

With the two sides agreeing to a deal now, the risk of Perkins leaving the Thunder as an unrestricted free agent this summer has been removed.

Perkins said in his introductory press conference Saturday that he wanted to be in Oklahoma City for “the long haul.”

“I hope I can be here,” Perkins said. “I (want to) be here. I couldn’t find a better situation for myself. I really want to be here. It’s just a great organization.”
-DM-

Hicks
03-01-2011, 11:53 AM
I went ahead and copied that into its own thread.

Will Galen
03-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Only team that I think has a brighter future is, *gasp* Miami (oh how upset so many people are to be reading that).

Remember the Blazers just a couple years ago? Now look at them. Things can change quickly.

vnzla81
03-01-2011, 01:40 PM
I wonder why OKC is signing Perkings(long term) that has a knee injury and is going to be out for at least two weeks and didn't sign Tyson Chandler two years ago because of a foot injury? (and Chandler was healthy to play)

pacer4ever
03-01-2011, 02:03 PM
I wonder why OKC is signing Perkings(long term) that has a knee injury and is going to be out for at least two weeks and didn't sign Tyson Chandler two years ago because of a foot injury? (and Chandler was healthy to play)

They felt he wouldnt fully recover.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3917505

vnzla81
03-01-2011, 02:13 PM
They felt he wouldnt fully recover.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3917505

I'm not a doctor but I Would take my chances on a big toe rather than a knee, no just that but the guy is already hurt and haven't been healthy all year.

vnzla81
03-01-2011, 02:14 PM
By the way ESPN is reporting 35mil and four years for Perkins.

pacer4ever
03-01-2011, 02:16 PM
By the way ESPN is reporting 35mil and four years for Perkins.

I would have loved him for that price

CableKC
03-01-2011, 02:52 PM
am I would have loved him for that price
Nope...great price for one of the few Centers in the league that can actually defend Dwight Howard while controlling the paint against other Teams.

An Ibaka/Perkins Frontcourt is exactly what the Thunder have been hoping for over the last couple of years. Add in whichever Center that they drafted ( forgot his name ) along with Nick Collison and they have a solid Frontcourt for the next 3-4 seasons.

ilive4sports
03-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Remember the Blazers just a couple years ago? Now look at them. Things can change quickly.

Because of injuries... You can't predict that. IF they stay relatively healthy, they are in great shape, no denying that. If Oden never got hurt and Roy was always healthy, Portland would be a damn good team.