PDA

View Full Version : T.J. Ford Headed to Portland?

The Lone Granger
02-24-2011, 12:18 PM
T.J. Ford may be a part of a trade to Portland in a deal resulting in the buyout of his contract.

http://www.rotoworld.com/images/headshots/NBA/934.jpg

The Pacers are stuck with him and are looking to buy him out if he isn't moved. Either way he's likely to end up on the market where Portland and Miami are the most likely suitors.

rotoworld

I'd love to see what Portland would give us for a guy like Ford. He's a nice expiring deal, and he's also a good player as well. There's a lot to be interested in a trade for him, but what would the Pacers get back?

Thoughts?

Pacersalltheway10
02-24-2011, 12:20 PM
I'd love to see what Portland would give us for a guy like Ford. He's a nice expiring deal, and he's also a good player as well. There's a lot to be interested in a trade for him, but what would the Pacers get back?

Thoughts?

Sounds like oden or pryz.

Hicks
I see this, and yet I see others tweeting POR wants to sign him after we buy him out.

This article almost sounds like they'd buy him out after acquiring him from us in a trade. If that were true, either we're bribing them with a pick, or we're taking on salary, and I don't know who that would be.

pacer4ever
he is gonna get bought out not traded. Why would they waste assets if they can just get him after a buyout?

NYentre
02-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Any deal that nets us Matthews or Batum would be awesome. Throw in Brandon Rush and our 1st rounder if that's what it takes.

BillS
02-24-2011, 12:24 PM
he is gonna get bought out not traded. Why would they waste assets if they can just get him after a buyout?

Nobody has answered me when I asked if they had a roster spot and cap space or an exception available. If they don't have both of those, they can't sign him after a buyout without doing something else. A trade might be easier (and cheaper) than buying out one of their own players.

Heisenberg
02-24-2011, 12:25 PM
Any deal that nets us Matthews or Batum would be awesome. Throw in Brandon Rush and our 1st rounder if that's what it takes.
We'd get laughed at.

Anyway, can't see TJ getting traded. The whole league knows he's getting bought out.

Pacersalltheway10
02-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Nobody has answered me when I asked if they had a roster spot and cap space or an exception available. If they don't have both of those, they can't sign him after a buyout without doing something else. A trade might be easier (and cheaper) than buying out one of their own players.

No they dont have any of those.

Heisenberg
02-24-2011, 12:27 PM
They don't have a roster spot. They've got a lot of tiny salary guys though, don't think Paul Allen would fret about losing 300k or so cutting a Sean Marks or Dante Cunningham.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 12:28 PM

They are gonna cut Sean Marks to make room reports say

Hicks
02-24-2011, 12:30 PM
Bill,

Unless I'm missing something, it appears the Blazers have 15 players. Good observation.

Also, their cap room is negative ~$15 Million. They do have one trade exception, but it is only valued at $2,292.600.

RWB
02-24-2011, 12:30 PM
As already posted, a couple of sites say they have a full 15 man roster. Also their salary total is near $69 to $70 million on the books.

The Lone Granger
02-24-2011, 12:33 PM
I'm reading the NBA Chat on ESPN by John Hollinger, and he did say that the only move that the Blazers are expected to make is a post-buyout deal with Ford. Sucks that we're not gonna be able to make a trade with him though.

Hicks
02-24-2011, 12:33 PM
They are gonna cut Sean Marks to make room reports say

What reports?

Doddage
02-24-2011, 12:35 PM
http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/40818025108221952

As @JohnCanzanoBFT (http://twitter.com/JohnCanzanoBFT) reports, Blazers have interest in T.J. Ford once Indy does buyout. Thin market for Ford now. Blazers seem most intrigued. 30 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/40818025108221952) via web

imawhat
02-24-2011, 12:36 PM
They have an exception to get another player from Odens injury. Look it up.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 12:37 PM
What reports?

Jason Quick: Blazers would have to release player to make room for Ford, which would probably be Sean Marks Twitter

Indiana Pacers, Portland Trail Blazers, TJ Ford, Sean Marks | share

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

It makes sense Sean Marks is terrible.

90'sNBARocked
02-24-2011, 12:38 PM

Good point Bill

Thats why they would have to make a trade for him. then they could buy him out

Peck
02-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Ford for Pryzb would be a good trade for us, not sure how good for the Blazers but on our end it would work great.

Why the Blazers would be willing to do this instead of waiting for a buyout? Simple, it guarantee's them the player. T.J. on the cheap would be desired buy some of the top tier teams wanting an extra cushion for the playoffs. There is the chance that if they don't do this that he might sign somewhere else.

However on the other hand he would not make or break their season so why not take the chance and hope to get him without giving up assets.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 12:39 PM
They have an exception to get another player from Odens injury. Look it up.

O ya that is true a injured player exception. so does Odens salary not count agasit the cap ?? I would think it still does right.

90'sNBARocked
02-24-2011, 12:43 PM
Why the h3ll should we buy Ford out ?

He is not a cancer by any means, This is not Tinsley part 2

What if DC or AJ gets injured?

Why buy him out so he can sign with another team at no expense to that team?

Damn, Pacers could write a novel entitled "How to absolutely destroy a players trade value"

Hicks
02-24-2011, 12:44 PM
http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

It makes sense Sean Marks is terrible.

Well, that's not a report that the Blazers are going to waive Sean Marks, that's this guy speculating as much.

Heisenberg
02-24-2011, 12:45 PM

Damn, Pacers could write a novel entitled "How to absolutely destroy a players trade value"
Because "Lance is a PG" and TJ wants to move on. And it'd save us a tiny bit of cash, but savings are savings.

Plus, haven't we seen TJ play? Why are people acting like he's a good player now that he's been inactive?

wintermute
02-24-2011, 12:49 PM

Some of us have speculated that Bird/Morway have a verbal agreement with TJ since the beginning of the season. It's perhaps why TJ's been a good soldier during a contract year.

And anyway, it's the right thing to do. Pacers org have always been good guys, dating back to Walsh, and I think it's good that Bird is carrying on in that fashion.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 12:52 PM
Well, that's not a report that the Blazers are going to waive Sean Marks, that's this guy speculating as much.

He doesnt play and when he does he is terrible so I think that could be a scenerio

Justin Tyme
02-24-2011, 12:55 PM
In order for a buyout to happen, it takes Ford to agree to the Pacers buyout offer. If he's not inclined to take the offer, feeling the Pacers offer stinks, he will not accept the buyout, thus just ride out the season collecting his 8.5 mil salary. I'll be surprised if Ford is bought out as he's not causing the Pacers any PR problems. If so, he won't take a big salary cut in a buyout.

Just remember this year was a player option for Ford, and he picked it up. IIRC, when asked about if he was going to pick his player option up his retort was "it was picked up the day I signed the contract." I thought that was a great reply to the question!

What % did Tinsley finally take as a cut in his buyout?

Quad nickle post

Heisenberg
02-24-2011, 12:56 PM
In order for a buyout to happen, it takes Ford to agree to the Pacers buyout offer. If he's not inclined to take the offer, feeling the Pacers offer stinks, he will not accept the buyout, thus just ride out the season collecting his 8.5 mil salary. I'll be surprised if Ford is bought out as he's not causing the Pacers any PR problems. If so, he won't take a big salary cut in a buyout.

Just remember this year was a player option for Ford, and he picked it up. IIRC, when asked about if he was going to pick his player option up his retort was "it was picked up the day I signed the contract." I thought that was a great reply to the question!

What % did Tinsley finally take as a cut in his buyout?

Quad nickle post
Tins got 11 mil out of 14.7 owed so...whatever that percentage is lol

BillS
02-24-2011, 12:57 PM
O ya that is true a injured player exception. so does Odens salary not count agasit the cap ?? I would think it still does right.

Unless/until he qualifies as a "career ending injury" (like what we did with Bender) his salary is on the books.

The roster spot is available if they have an extra man exception (though I'd like to see reference to that, you usually don't get that unless you have more than the 3 inactives on long-term injury), but they still don't have cap space - unless the MLE or something similar is available to them.

Trading a similar salaried player avoids the costs of an internal buyout, frees space, and does not come under cap considerations.

Hicks
02-24-2011, 12:57 PM
He doesnt play and when he does he is terrible so I think that could be a scenerio

It could be.

I'm just saying it's inaccurate to say it's being reported that it WILL happen, when in fact it's just someone saying that it would MAKE SENSE.

Sookie
02-24-2011, 01:01 PM

Because TJ's been a good soldier, and deserves his chance to go to a team where he can play. I'm not a fan of his game, but just letting him rot away on the bench when it's a contract year doesn't allow him to get any leverage in terms of getting a contract next season.

A lot of players have gone through JOB's crap. (Which, I'm personally starting to think was worse than we originally thought.) But all of them we're young, an didn't really have the ability to say anything. Ford was a vet making a lot of money. He could have made problems. But he didn't. He's been professional. So we should return the favor.

If either one of those two (AJ or DC) goes down I think we'll struggle anyway. The team chemistry and offense will be an issue. So if that happens, the other is simply going to play 40+ minutes a game..and heck, if Lance really can't handle 8 or less minutes at the point (I think most SGs can) Then Josh can do it..

All that being said, I'm surprised Miami isn't interested (although maybe they can't afford him even if they cut someone?) TJ's a poor fit for that team, but he's an upgrade at point in general. (Which is saying something..)

LetsTalkPacers
02-24-2011, 01:01 PM
It would make sense for the Pacers to trade TJ instead of buying him out. Im not reporting this, just letting people know what makes sense....

RWB
02-24-2011, 01:04 PM
Update according to Mike Wells

Twitter!.Ford is only agreeing to a buyout if he knows for sure a team will sign him. "If not, I'll be a Pacer the rest of the season." 8 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®
Retweeted by 3 people
.MikeWellsNBA

Heisenberg
02-24-2011, 01:05 PM
So obviously the buyout offer isn't his full salary, otherwise why not take it?

Pacersalltheway10
02-24-2011, 01:07 PM
It would make sense for the Pacers to trade TJ instead of buying him out. Im not reporting this, just letting people know what makes sense....

Um yeah it would. pacers would much rather get something out of him that can help the pacers make a plAyoff push.

wintermute
02-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Unless/until he qualifies as a "career ending injury" (like what we did with Bender) his salary is on the books.

The roster spot is available if they have an extra man exception (though I'd like to see reference to that, you usually don't get that unless you have more than the 3 inactives on long-term injury), but they still don't have cap space - unless the MLE or something similar is available to them.

Trading a similar salaried player avoids the costs of an internal buyout, frees space, and does not come under cap considerations.

Wait, you think it would take more than the minimum to sign TJ?

Portland seems to be the only team showing interest, so it's not like teams will go into a bidding war for him.

wintermute
02-24-2011, 01:08 PM

To make trades though, you got to get the other side to agree...

BillS
02-24-2011, 01:12 PM
Wait, you think it would take more than the minimum to sign TJ?

Portland seems to be the only team showing interest, so it's not like teams will go into a bidding war for him.

Am I confused? I didn't think the vet minimum was automatically a cap exception.

Justin Tyme
02-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Update according to Mike Wells

Twitter!.Ford is only agreeing to a buyout if he knows for sure a team will sign him. "If not, I'll be a Pacer the rest of the season." 8 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®
Retweeted by 3 people
.MikeWellsNBA

"A team" or "a good playoff team"? I can't imagine Ford going to the T-Wolves or another bottem feeder type team. My guess is that neither Harris nor Davis are exactly thrilled about going to the Nets and Cavs.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Am I confused? I didn't think the vet minimum was automatically a cap exception.

Yes it is. Thats how the Celtics got Shaq this year with the Veterns minimum. They had already used ther MLE.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 01:16 PM
"A team" or "a good playoff team"? I can't imagine Ford going to the T-Wolves or another bottem feeder type team. My guess is that neither Harris nor Davis are exactly thrilled about going to the Nets and Cavs.

Im sure TJ would go to the Twoves he wants to play so he can get another contract next year.

LetsTalkPacers
02-24-2011, 01:18 PM
To make trades though, you got to get the other side to agree...
So your saying it doesnt make sense to trade him. Im confused on your rebuttal

Sookie
02-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Im sure TJ would go to the Twoves he wants to play so he can get another contract next year.

Exactly. TJ, I'm sure would rather go to a good team. But he wants to play so he can get a contract next season.

croz24
02-24-2011, 01:21 PM
you just don't release info that you're going to buy a player out.

Sookie
02-24-2011, 01:22 PM

In this case, it makes sense.

No one wants to trade for him, and if the Pacers want to save a few bucks, they have to let teams know, or Ford isn't going to accept the buyout.

LetsTalkPacers
02-24-2011, 01:23 PM
To be fair no one in the FO has said they would buyout TJ as far as I know. Just a local newspaper reporter saying this to be true. Thats how rumors start.

Pacersalltheway10
02-24-2011, 01:23 PM
Idk but with the blazers apparently shopping oden and are really interested in ford through buyout or trade, I could see a ford for oden swap.

Hibbert
02-24-2011, 01:24 PM

Thoughts?

Pryzibilla who stated if he was dealt he would probably retire. I dont think we are likely to get anything from Ford at all it sounds like they are waiting for us to buy him out but you never know. This trade would really make sense for both teams. They need a PG and we could use a decent veteran big. Both are expiring so well see.

Pryz is only 31 so Im guessing he would retire due to the move itself not wanting to uproot his family plus he does have a lot of wear and tear. But I would love to get him if we could for TJ, at least we'd be getting something in return and not have to buy him out that way plus Joel is a legit + 7 footer who would bolster our bench and add more heighth and depth. He is a nice shot blocker and great rebounder and defender, his only knock is on offense but would do well with our bench players. Get er done.

croz24
02-24-2011, 01:25 PM
In this case, it makes sense.

No one wants to trade for him, and if the Pacers want to save a few bucks, they have to let teams know, or Ford isn't going to accept the buyout.

i see what you're saying... but still, stating you plan on buying a player out reduces any trade value that player might have.

Hicks

It's not like they gave a press release. This is probably all coming from TJ / TJ's agent.

pacer4ever
To be fair no one in the FO has said they would buyout TJ as far as I know. Just a local newspaper reporter saying this to be true. Thats how rumors start.

TJ has indicated that they have a deal in place with his tweets and replies with Mike Wells. Sounds like TJ may have told Wells about the plan.

LetsTalkPacers
02-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Idk but with the blazers apparently shopping oden and are really interested in ford through buyout or trade, I could see a ford for oden swap.
Im not sure I want Bradley Bowie on our roster

Pacersalltheway10
02-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Im not sure I want Bradley Bowie on our roster

He is an expiring and still has some potential if he's used in a minimal playing role. TJ ford is a Ben h warmer. Ford for oden is a no brainer.

LetsTalkPacers
02-24-2011, 01:34 PM
id rather have an open roster spot. oden cant play this season and he will be a free agent next season. whats the point

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 01:36 PM
id rather have an open roster spot. oden cant play this season and he will be a free agent next season. whats the point

he doesnt count agasit the 15 man roster he has a injury exception But I still want no part of Oden.

Mackey_Rose
Hahahaha the Blazers are not swapping Oden for TJ Ford. Come on now.

DocHolliday

Don't you get it? He played at Lawrence North!:-o:happydanc:rolleyes:

croz24
02-24-2011, 01:43 PM
pacers need to take a chance on somebody if they ever hope to get over the top. standing pat won't get us there and our assets aren't good enough to acquire a top 15 player. trading for oden, acquiring his rights, and hoping he somehow stays healthy could be a chance we need to take.

LetsTalkPacers
02-24-2011, 01:51 PM
Don't you get it? He played at Lawrence North!:-o:happydanc:rolleyes:
Exactly. Its the only reason people on this board want him. Im born and raised in Indiana and Im almost always against bringing in "hometown" players. Fans wear rose colored glasses when evaluating them. We was great in college and had potential, so he was a high draft pick. So did Thabeet. Difference is Thabeet wasnt injured so he had time to prove he peeked in college. Injuries like Odens' wont just go away. Too early in his career to miss so many games to serious injuries. Look at J Bender or better yet Bowie like I mentioned before.

Pacersalltheway10
02-24-2011, 01:52 PM
Hahahaha the Blazers are not swapping Oden for TJ Ford. Come on now.

Must we bring out Murphy for collison. Kirk Heinrich for bibby picks and Jordan Crawford or even the d. Williams trade. Anything can happen. There really is no point in arguing that the blazers won't accept a TJ for oden deal when they are shopping oden anyway and he is injured for the season and is not helping there playoff chances.

LetsTalkPacers
02-24-2011, 01:53 PM
pacers need to take a chance on somebody if they ever hope to get over the top. standing pat won't get us there and our assets aren't good enough to acquire a top 15 player. trading for oden, acquiring his rights, and hoping he somehow stays healthy could be a chance we need to take.
Why? Assuming he returns to form, why would he resign here anyways. Better yet why would we resign him. He wont play so we wont even be able to evaluate him before this summer when he expires.

BillS
02-24-2011, 01:53 PM

We aren't at a place where we need to take a crazy chance. There are going to be far less risky shots to take out there in the next couple of years.

Taking a chance that doesn't pan out can make it look worse than just being patient. Having a hobbled Oden on the roster and having to pay large bucks just in case won't look nearly as good down the road a couple of years.

For further reference, see "O'Neal, Jermaine". The upside may be higher but the downside is a lot more likely.

LetsTalkPacers
02-24-2011, 01:56 PM
Must we bring out Murphy for collison. Kirk Heinrich for bibby picks and Jordan Crawford or even the d. Williams trade. Anything can happen. There really is no point in arguing that the blazers won't accept a TJ for oden deal when they are shopping oden anyway and he is injured for the season and is not helping there playoff chances.
Not that I want him, but exactly. If they want him back they can just resign him next year. He's not playing this year. So we would have no better position than them to bring him back next year.

BillS
02-24-2011, 01:57 PM
Not that I want him, but exactly. If they want him back they can just resign him next year. He's not playing this year. So we would have no better position than them to bring him back next year.

Isn't he an RFA next year?

croz24
02-24-2011, 02:01 PM
who says it's a "crazy" chance? players have come back from the injury oden suffered to become all-stars or quality players (z randolph, stoudamire, martin). oden is 22 and i do not believe any of his injuries have been related to one another. it's like many of you think oden will cost $10mil/season to sign.

Mackey_Rose
02-24-2011, 02:05 PM

Yeah bring those up, because not any of them are even close to comparable.

Ford is an aging expiring contract player who has been benched 3 years in a row. If we don't trade him, he will be bought out, and the Blazers can sign him without giving up anything.

Oden is still a young player who, while he has dealt with more horrific injuries than any young man should have to deal with, still has the capability to become a dominant big man. I have no problem believing that the Blazers are willing to trade him, but you better f'ing believe they want more than TJ Ford for him.

Seriously, how does swapping Ford for Oden make any sense for Portland? Ridiculous.

LetsTalkPacers
02-24-2011, 02:10 PM
Yeah bring those up, because not any of them are even close to comparable.

Ford is an aging expiring contract player who has been benched 3 years in a row. If we don't trade him, he will be bought out, and the Blazers can sign him without giving up anything.

Oden is still a young player who, while he has dealt with more horrific injuries than any young man should have to deal with, still has the capability to being a dominant big man. I have no problem believing that the Blazers are willing to trade him, but you better f'ing believe they want more than TJ Ford for him.

Seriously, how does swapping Ford for Oden make any sense for Portland? Ridiculous. makes about as much sense for us to do it. bad for both teams.

Really?
02-24-2011, 02:16 PM
This can all be put to rest now that the Blazers have traded Camby for Aaron Brooks and Battier

"STEIN_LINE_HQ Marc Stein
A deal that WAS discussed today but I'm now told is unlikely to happen featured Houston's Aaron Brooks and Battier to Portland for Camby"

via twitter

Mackey_Rose
02-24-2011, 02:19 PM
This can all be put to rest now that the Blazers have traded Camby for Aaron Brooks and Battier

"STEIN_LINE_HQ Marc Stein
A deal that WAS discussed today but I'm now told is unlikely to happen featured Houston's Aaron Brooks and Battier to Portland for Camby"

via twitter

Huh?

Doddage
02-24-2011, 02:19 PM
That'd be an excellent deal for Portland, provided Oden comes back healthy next season and they find some depth at center.

Really?
02-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Huh?

lol nvm read it wrong please excuse me I'm kind of sick right now...

Pacer in Your Face
02-24-2011, 02:41 PM
lol nvm read it wrong please excuse me I'm kind of sick right now...

feel better:buddies:

naptownmenace
02-24-2011, 02:45 PM
I'm glad that deal didn't go through. I'd love to get Shane Battier for TJ but seriously doubt it could happen.

sheppie33
02-24-2011, 05:43 PM
when we buy him out, you think we will fill his spot? Magnum Rolle?

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 05:44 PM
when we buy him out, you think we will fill his spot? Magnum Rolle?

no