PDA

View Full Version : Baron Davis to Cavs

cdash
02-24-2011, 02:58 AM
@WojYahooNBA
Adrian Wojnarowski
RT @SpearsNBAYahoo: Clippers have agreed in principle to trade G Baron Davis to Cavaliers for G Mo Williams, sources tell Y! Sports.

Well, okay.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 02:59 AM
WojYahooNBA RT @SpearsNBAYahoo: Clippers have agreed in principle to trade G Baron Davis to Cavaliers for G Mo Williams, sources tell Y! Sports.
2 minutes ago via ‹berSocial

Moe Williams is a little better but still :puke:

Maybe Baron will play really well in Clevlend also if he tries

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 03:00 AM
beat me by a min damm

cdash
02-24-2011, 03:02 AM
What do you think about this? I'm a little amazed that the Cavs would do this deal. Does Dan Gilbert have any clue how fat and lazy Baron Davis is going to get on that crappy team?

immortality
02-24-2011, 03:02 AM
Oh man baron is gonna cry, one of the main reasons he joined the Clippers was for the Hollywood scene

PaceBalls
02-24-2011, 03:04 AM
High ankle sprain within a week. Then it's random 5 minute appearances every few weeks for as long as his contract lasts... or they trade him.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 03:05 AM
Oh man baron is gonna cry, one of the main reasons he joined the Clippers was for the Hollywood scene

Thats his home town

All I have to say to him is if he would have tried and cared he would still be a Clipper. He was pretty vocal about how he wanted to stay with the Clippers.

pacer4ever
High ankle sprain within a week. Then it's random 5 minute appearances every few weeks for as long as his contract lasts... or they trade him.

A week ur generous more like 2mrw.

xBulletproof
WTF is Cleveland thinking.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 03:07 AM
What do you think about this? I'm a little amazed that the Cavs would do this deal. Does Dan Gilbert have any clue how fat and lazy Baron Davis is going to get on that crappy team?

Baron might actually just say :censored: it im gonna try and score 30 a night for the rest of the season. He still has the talent but he is out of shape and doesnt try.

cdash
02-24-2011, 03:07 AM
Man if you think Deron Williams was pissed moving from Utah to New Jersey, just imagine how mad Baron Davis is right now.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 03:08 AM
i feel like :dance::dance::dance::dance:

atleast Moe will be in shape and some what try

EDIT NVM

SpearsNBAYahoo Clipps have agreed in principle to send G Baron Davis and '11 first rounder to Cavs for guards Mo Williams and Jamario Moon, sources tell Y!
now it makes sense for the cavs I hope the pick is protected.

xBulletproof
02-24-2011, 03:10 AM
Much higher salary. Much less likely to be motivated in Cleveland. At least Mo Williams contract had a couple of player option years, and there was a chance he'd opt out of that crappy situation. Baron has no such options and has 2 more years for 29 million.

No wonder Lebron left. What a joke.

**EDIT** Only way I let Cleveland off the hook is if that pick is Minnesota's, and that would just be flat out stupid for the Clippers then.

Hibbert
02-24-2011, 03:10 AM
When is Moe ever in shape/healthy? Great deal for Cavs, a steal.

CableKC
02-24-2011, 03:12 AM
This +1000.

I forget....did BDiddy have any issues with Byron Scott? Maybe this is one of the reasons why they made the move?

IMHO...I think it's a bad move....BDiddy and Griffin really had some good chemistry.

Psyren
Won't make any difference for either team IMO.

/Waste of a trade.

pacer4ever
Much higher salary. Much less likely to be motivated in Cleveland. At least Mo Williams contract had a couple of player option years, and there was a chance he'd opt out of that crappy situation. Baron has no such options and has 2 more years for 29 million.

No wonder Lebron left. What a joke.

**EDIT** Only way I let Cleveland off the hook is if that pick is Minnesota's, and that would just be flat out stupid for the Clippers then.

It isnt Minns pick or I am done watching the Clippers. It better be there own with lottery protection it is an 11 pic so i assume thats there own.

ilive4sports
02-24-2011, 03:14 AM
I really don't like this move for either team

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 03:15 AM
I really don't like this move for either team

I must admit I will miss all the half court lobs Bdiddy would throw to Deandre and Blake

Psyren
02-24-2011, 03:18 AM
I don't think it'll make a difference for either team.

Chad Ford
ESPN NBA Insider
http://twitter.com/chadfordinsider

Yup just confirmed @daldridgent's report. Davis and Clippers 1st in 2011 to Cleveland for Mo Williams and Jamario Moon. Done in principle

Dumb deal.

xBulletproof
02-24-2011, 03:18 AM
It isnt Minns pick or I am done watching the Clippers. It better be there own with lottery protection it is an 11 pic so i assume thats there own.

http://www.tweetdeck.com/twitter/SpearsNBAYahoo/~Atebv

Clippers have agreed in principle to acquireards Mo Williams and Jamario Moon from Cleveland for guard Baron Davis and a 2011 1st round pick (Clippers pick), sources tells Y! Sports.

Right now the Clippers are set to pick 8th, I believe. Meh. I'm not sure that pick was worth the extra 10 million dollars it will cost them at least.

No word on the protection on the pick, that could matter as well.

cdash
02-24-2011, 03:19 AM
Yeah I really don't like it for either team. Baron was at least partially motivated by playing with Blake Griffin.

immortality
02-24-2011, 03:21 AM
Mo williams will offer a scoring boost if he is motivated to play again, so I think it is a pretty good trade for the Clippers, and if it is their own draft pick, I don't think it will really matter since the draft pool is weak in 2011...unless it ends up being a top 3 pick..

Kind of useless for the Cavs as they just took on more salary for another 2 years...

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 03:22 AM
The Los Angeles Clippers have reached an agreement in principle to send Baron Davis(notes) to the Cleveland Cavaliers for Mo Williams(notes), league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Cavaliers will also get an unprotected 2011 first-round pick from the Clippers while sending back forward Jamario Moon(notes).More From Marc J. SpearsKnicks finally land Anthony Feb 22, 2011 Kobe commands All-Star stage again Feb 21, 2011 Davis, 31, signed a five-year, $65 million contract with the Clippers before the 2008-09 season. He struggled for much of his first two seasons, but had begun to play better. He’s averaging 12.8 points and seven assists this season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-daviswilliams022311

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 03:24 AM
http://www.tweetdeck.com/twitter/SpearsNBAYahoo/~Atebv

Right now the Clippers are set to pick 8th, I believe. Meh. I'm not sure that pick was worth the extra 10 million dollars it will cost them at least.

No word on the protection on the pick, that could matter as well.

unprotected lol Sterling is an idiot. Better than the 2012 Twolves pick with a better draft class

imawhat
02-24-2011, 03:24 AM
That is a bad trade for LA. Lots of criticism of Baron is floating around, but he's the best player in this deal AND LA gave away a draft pick.

This is why you can never count out a team like the Pacers getting a steal. There are just bad GMs out there.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 03:26 AM
That is a bad trade for LA. Lots of criticism of Baron is floating around, but he's the best player in this deal AND LA gave away a draft pick.

This is why you can never count out a team like the Pacers getting a steal. There are just bad GMs out there.

He has been stealing money from the Clippers he doesnt give a **** and has got fat as ****. Watch thoe he will now try and get in shape and ave 20 ppg in clevelend watch. He is Lazyer than Jammal Tinsley

cdash
02-24-2011, 03:29 AM
Plus, apparently, the Clippers are slated to be well under the cap for the 2012 free agent class...you know, the one with Dwight Howard, Deron Williams, and Chris Paul. Think any of those guys would like to play with Blake Griffin and Eric Gordon in LA?

Psyren
02-24-2011, 03:30 AM
He has been stealing money from the Clippers he doesnt give a **** and has got fat as ****. Watch thoe he will now try and get in shape and ave 20 ppg in clevelend watch. He is Lazyer than Jammal Tinsley

No he won't.

Give him about 2 weeks max and he'll have a "ghost injury". Baron's a great player, but if you can't get excited to play with Blake Griffin then Cleveland sure as hell won't fix that.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 03:33 AM
Plus, apparently, the Clippers are slated to be well under the cap for the 2012 free agent class...you know, the one with Dwight Howard, Deron Williams, and Chris Paul. Think any of those guys would like to play with Blake Griffin and Eric Gordon in LA?

:-o If I was Cp3 or dwill I would love to play with the Clippers. But Dwights ego would likely prevent him from the Clippers he is more like a Laker guy wants center stage.

dgranger17
02-24-2011, 03:40 AM
I'm crazy with this razor, with this razor I'm crazy. With this crazor I'm razy, razor crazed I'm crazy.

Larry designed a great team.

AesopRockOn
02-24-2011, 04:13 AM
I'm crazy with this razor, with this razor I'm crazy. With this crazor I'm razy, razor crazed I'm crazy.

Odd quote...

King Tuts Tomb
02-24-2011, 04:37 AM

It all starts to make sense until you remember that Donald Sterling is a racist jerk who will ruin it all somehow.

ballism
02-24-2011, 07:01 AM
It's a great deal for Cavs imo. You are rebuilding anyway. You won't see playoffs for the next 3 years at least. So why not have a Baron Davis for those 3 years. Dan Gilbert can afford to lose money, so it makes perfect sense. Worst case, Baron gets even more fat and bad for chemistry and they ban him from the team like Tinsley. Best case, he plays ok, and they can trade Baron for another pick next year.

I'd imagine this is how Marc Cuban would rebuild if he had the Cavs. Take on everyone's bad contracts for a few years, get good young talent/picks in return. Keep tanking. Keep trading up in the draft with all those picks. Keep drafting high. In 3 or so years, once everyone expires, you should have a great young team.

Taking on bad contracts is a nice tool, if you can afford it.

ballism
02-24-2011, 07:19 AM
I hate it for the Clips though. Baron seemed genuinely interested to play with Blake and Eric lately. At the very least, he's been gaining trade value, but I also thought he became a nice fit with Blake. I think Mo Williams will be a downgrade for Clippers, just a little safer long term. Not much safer though - he misses a lot of games. Do you really want to pay unprotected top 10, maybe top 6 pick for a cheaper downgrade who misses at least 14-15 games a year? Say what you want about 2011 draft, but no.6 pick might be a Harrison Barnes or Enes Kanter or Jared Sullinger. Would you rather have one of these guys and Baron or a Mo Williams?

Eric Gordon is injured, they are in a slump now, so I think Clippers just overreacted. Sterling is not very fond of Baron, so I'm not surprised they puched the button at first chance. The fact that Sterling is cheap-ish just helped it. The illusion that Dwill or CP might be coming to Clips helped it some more.
In reality, way too pricey salary dump for the Clips here imo.

Shade
02-24-2011, 08:09 AM
Why Cleveland did it: They get a lateral player in Baron and add more salary, but acquire a lotto pick to begin the rebuiding phase. It's not like they were tearing up the league with Mo.

Why Los Angeles did it: Typical Donald Sterling. A cost-cutting move, not only by jettisoning Baron's contract, but by giving away a future guaranteed contract (their 2011 first-rounder) in what is highly considered to be a weak draft class. It doesn't hurt that Mo is probably a slightly better player than Baron right now.

Jared Sullinger
02-24-2011, 08:43 AM
Baron makes significantly more than Mo (about $12M over the remaining 2+ years on their contracts) but I do like that Cleveland has picked up another likely top-10 pick. That team needs an infusion of young talent in a bad way.

Sollozzo
02-24-2011, 08:45 AM
Baron is going to hate leaving LA for Cleveland.

Speed
02-24-2011, 09:02 AM

FTW!

Jared Sullinger
02-24-2011, 09:24 AM
Baron is going to hate leaving LA for Cleveland.

If he hates it that much he can decline his $14.75M player option for 2012.

Pacersalltheway10
02-24-2011, 09:59 AM
I think the cavs just wanted another lotto pick.

Larry Staverman
02-24-2011, 10:18 AM
To me Davis represents the worst side of NBA players. Lazy and selfish only putting out effort in his contract year.

Shows how desperate the Clips were to rid themselves of him by giving away a lotto pick.

pacergod2
02-24-2011, 10:41 AM
If he hates it that much he can decline his $14.75M player option for 2012.

Hahahaha....

On a serious note, Baron Davis is not only one of the most toxic contracts in the NBA, he is one of the most toxic personalities in the NBA. A team finally agreed to take he and his salary on and the Clippers jumped all over it. The Clippers already are loaded with young players at every position. They really don't need that pick. Donald Sterling despises Baron Davis and it was well worth the draft pick to get rid of the guy. This trade was personal and financial for the Clippers. I am glad Cleveland is getting this pick. It sets a precedent for taking on bad contracts.

I think Cleveland honestly will play Ramon Sessions more than Davis. Davis may not play for Cleveland. Hell, he may even retire.

graphic-er
02-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Looks like LA is gathering funds to extend their young core. Expect Jordan to get an extension, and then Eric Gordon will get on at the start of next season.

Pacersalltheway10
02-24-2011, 10:47 AM

Eric Gordon will be a free agent in 2012 too . And if the clippers keep him all depends if sterling will pay up. I would flat out love EJ here. Pair him with George and we are set. Danny might be moved to a backup role if that happens with a 3 man wing rotation if George is ready.

MyFavMartin
02-24-2011, 10:48 AM
If there's no NBA next year, the Cavs won't have to pay BD.

cinotimz
02-24-2011, 10:50 AM
This epitomizes why the Clippers are the Clippers and the Cavs are the Cavs.

A classic example why both franchises are generally doomed.

I didn't really think Sterling and company could screw up the good thing they have in the making, but it seems they are going to give it a try nonetheless...

pacergod2
02-24-2011, 10:57 AM
This is one of those bad trades where a team is making another mistake to overcome a prior mistake.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 11:00 AM
This is one of those bad trades where a team is making another mistake to overcome a prior mistake.

I give the Cavs a A+ they get an unprotected first from the Clippers. I think Sterling was just fed up and wanted Baron gone any way possible.

Speed
02-24-2011, 11:00 AM
When I was watching the Dunk Contest and Baron Davis was in the KIA, popping his head out of the moon roof, readying to deliver the alley oop to Blake Griffin... I couldn't help but think that Baron probably had Taco Bell in the car with him and was probably munching on a 7 layer beef burrito in between camera shots.

Thats how I feel about Baron's dedication to basketball.

Jared Sullinger
02-24-2011, 11:08 AM
ScottCacciola on Twitter (http://twitter.com/ScottCacciola)

I wonder if Baron Davis will drive that Kia to Cleveland.

:D

Heisenberg
02-24-2011, 11:40 AM
If Cleveland uses their Lebron trade exception for a guy like Gerald Wallace I could kinda see their reasoning for it.

Field Davis/SG/Wallace/Jamison/Varejao for the next couple years to just give the fans a reason to watch, then in 2 years there'd be a ton of expirings/option years, hand over the team to the guys they draft in the lottery the next couple years after that.

I guess.

BillS
02-24-2011, 11:41 AM
Yeah, unprotected first from the Clippers is huge. Two first round picks is one thing, two Lottery picks? Even in a "bad" year that gives you good chances of getting something special.

Pacerized
02-24-2011, 11:57 AM
Here's to hoping the Clippers are still shopping Kaman for a wing.

pizza guy
02-24-2011, 12:18 PM
If Cleveland is collecting the bad contracts of malcontent PGs and draft picks, well have we got a deal for you!

Trouble is, are they willing to give up Hickson or Varejao? Those two would be the only ones I'd really want.

BillS
02-24-2011, 12:24 PM
If Cleveland is collecting the bad contracts of malcontent PGs and draft picks, well have we got a deal for you!

Who are you talking about? We have guys we aren't using but I certainly wouldn't call them "malcontents".

pizza guy
02-24-2011, 12:25 PM
Who are you talking about? We have guys we aren't using but I certainly wouldn't call them "malcontents".

Good point, TJ has been very professional. Still, I can't imagine he's actually content in his current role.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Here's to hoping the Clippers are still shopping Kaman for a wing.

for a SF only thats what the Clippers are trying to get. They really wanted Galio.

Pacerized
02-24-2011, 12:52 PM
for a SF only thats what the Clippers are trying to get. They really wanted Galio.

You're the only person I know of who follows the Clippers closely. Do you think they'd have any interest in a Rush/TJ package?

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 01:48 PM
You're the only person I know of who follows the Clippers closely. Do you think they'd have any interest in a Rush/TJ package?

for Kaman? I am not sure the Pacers would have to add a 1st rd pick proablly still even then they are looking for a really good SF. I dont think they will find one maybe Aminu can step up next year. But untill they get a solid SF they will struggle a bit it is a huge weakness for them.

idioteque
02-24-2011, 01:57 PM
Wow, this is an odd trade.

Baron Davis is going to get Shawn Kemp fat in Cleveland. It's going to get ugly folks, who wants to enter a pool as to when Baron will suffer that mysterious high ankle sprain?

Cleveland is paying a whole, whole bunch of money to have another lottery pick this year. Let's hope they draft well enough to keep Baron interested. Otherwise, this deal will be a disaster. Oh wait, they're in our conference, so we should be happy Cleveland has likely further eliminated any chance they will be marginally relevant in the next 3 years.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 02:02 PM
Wow, this is an odd trade.

Baron Davis is going to get Shawn Kemp fat in Cleveland. It's going to get ugly folks, who wants to enter a pool as to when Baron will suffer that mysterious high ankle sprain?

Cleveland is paying a whole, whole bunch of money to have another lottery pick this year. Let's hope they draft well enough to keep Baron interested. Otherwise, this deal will be a disaster. Oh wait, they're in our conference, so we should be happy Cleveland has likely further eliminated any chance they will be marginally relevant in the next 3 years.

Its personal I think. I think Sterling wanted to ship him to the ****y city of Clevlend and there terrible team. Baron has been stealing money from Sterling and he is fed up.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 02:05 PM
There is a 50% chance Baron fails his physical so maybe the deal wont happen :laugh: