PDA

View Full Version : Dunleavy out with a broken thumb

BringJackBack
02-23-2011, 05:44 PM
8pts9secs Jared Wade
RT @JJFOX59SPORTS: Pacers Mike Dunleavy out with a broken thumb
20 seconds ago

Now is this a broken thumb, or is this a "Broken thumb"?

SMosley21
02-23-2011, 05:46 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/dunleavy_injured_110223.html

Broken thumb sidelines Dunleavy indefinitely
Pacers News Release
Feb. 23, 2011
INDIANAPOLIS - The Indiana Pacers announced Wednesday that guard/forward Mike Dunleavy will be out indefinitely after sustaining a broken left thumb in the Pacers’ victory at Washington Tuesday night.

Dunleavy will meet with doctors Thursday and an update will be provided after those meetings.

Dunleavy had played in 54 of the Pacers’ 55 games this season, starting 44. He was averaging 11.2 points, 4.8 rebounds and 1.8 assists per game.

Could we possibly see Lance Stephenson for the first time tonight??

k_lewis93
Give Lance a shot tonight!!! Please!

vnzla81
Trade? :pray:

PacerPenguins
02-23-2011, 05:48 PM
Trade? :pray:

who cares PG is starting!!!! (I hope)

BringJackBack
02-23-2011, 05:48 PM
Well now Dunleavy is definitely not going to be traded since it is a legitimate injury and not just a pop-up "Flu" before the trade deadline. Fantastic. :unimpress

SMosley21
02-23-2011, 05:49 PM
Teams don't typically announce that a player is injured in order to trade them. They just have them sit the bench or make them inactive for the game. Mike's not going anywhere but to the end of our bench for probably the remainder of the season.

ilive4sports
02-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Did it happen last night? I didn't notice anything last night, but wasn't paying the most attention to it.

I'd imagine that PG is starting. I guess we will see more of Rush tonight. Maybe Lance?

thatch3232
just our luck. hopefully we can use some of our other expirings and just keep Mike inactive for the rest of the year.

PacerPenguins
Well now Dunleavy is definitely not going to be traded since it is a legitimate injury and not just a pop-up "Flu" before the trade deadline. Fantastic. :unimpress

no one cares about mike playing 4 heir team they just want his contract and the only reason i wanted to trade him is so that PG could start.

Sookie
02-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Well, it'll make room for Rush, and maybe Lance some.

Really too bad for Dun. Especially if we make the playoffs.

I hope Vogel starts Brandon and keeps Paul coming off the bench. Keep the Goon squad in tact, and let PG adjust to the game before throwing him in there. Plus, Rush will be good for the starting unit.

Trophy
02-23-2011, 05:52 PM
His contract is still a good piece for teams and teams know he can shoot the ball well when he's healthy.

Looking forward to the young guys and possibly Lance getting minutes.

O'Braindead
02-23-2011, 05:52 PM
I apologize if this offends anyone, but I don't think Brandon Rush deserves to be put into the starting lineup.

PR07
02-23-2011, 05:53 PM
More minutes for George, more minutes for Rush. Everyone's a winner!

PacerPenguins
02-23-2011, 05:55 PM
mike wells twitter.

Brandon Rush back in the starting lineup
half a minute ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®
Lance Stephenson's legal case has been dismissed. Oh yeah, he's also active tonight.

well doesnt look like were going to make any trades

PaceBalls
02-23-2011, 05:55 PM
I apologize if this offends anyone, but I don't think Brandon Rush deserves to be put into the starting lineup.

How dare you!!!! :mad:

No, but really... I think PG is such a stud he has earned the starting spot. But I would have Rush starting if not PG.

pacergod2
02-23-2011, 05:57 PM
I think it is good for our team that he got injured. It forces the minutes to Granger, George, and Rush. Hopefully Dahntay continues to play roughly 10 minutes per night at most.

I want to see what life is like without Dunleavy.

We are in for some GREAT suits though!!!:dance::dance::dance:

Spirit
02-23-2011, 05:58 PM

I'm sure the only reason he is starting instead of George is because we need George's scoring off the bench.

ECKrueger
02-23-2011, 05:59 PM
Rush starting: glad.
Lance active: glad.
Dun not playing: glad (although it sucks that it is at the expense of his health.)

pacergod2
02-23-2011, 05:59 PM
STEPHENSON'S COURT CASE WAS DISMISSED?!?!?!?!?! AWESOME!!!

Scratch Dahntay, I want to see Lance for those 10-15 minutes.

PaceBalls
02-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Anyone recall Mike getting hurt last night? I don't. You'd think a broken thumb would be something you would leave the bench for at least. :shrug:

vnzla81
02-23-2011, 06:08 PM
I think it is good for our team that he got injured. It forces the minutes to Granger, George, and Rush. Hopefully Dahntay continues to play roughly 10 minutes per night at most.

I want to see what life is like without Dunleavy.

We are in for some GREAT suits though!!!:dance::dance::dance:

It sounds better when you say it, if it was me I would get destroyed and somebody would call me "extremist" :-p

PaceBalls
02-23-2011, 06:11 PM
It sounds better when you say it, if it was me I would get destroyed and somebody would call me "extremist" :-p

You know you were thinking it... hater! :devil:

Psyren
02-23-2011, 06:12 PM
FREE THE MAN!!!!!

LANCE LANCE LANCE!!!!!

Scot Pollard
02-23-2011, 06:13 PM
Report: Mike Dunleavy has been put on the bench for the rest of the season.

PacerPenguins
02-23-2011, 06:14 PM
you may never see mike play another minute as a pacer.....just think about that and tell me u dont want to scream with joy

ksuttonjr76
02-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Anyone recall Mike getting hurt last night? I don't. You'd think a broken thumb would be something you would leave the bench for at least. :shrug:

I was thinking the same thing. Not that I care, but I think this is a "fake" injury. Why? I don't know, but the timing seems "off".

DemonHunter1105
02-23-2011, 06:16 PM
This is good news from the standpoint we get to see what the young guns can do more now.

I just wish it wasn't because Dunleavy was hurt. We could still use him in the second unit.

vnzla81
02-23-2011, 06:16 PM
you may never see mike play another minute as a pacer.....just think about that and tell me u dont want to scream with joy

:cry:.... :(.....:)......:D:dance: :dance:

gummy
02-23-2011, 06:17 PM
I'm sorry for Dun - never want to see a guy injured. But since his contract is up and we probably won't retain him I am interested in getting this preview of life without Dun as part of our wing rotation.

While I think PG has definitely earned a shot at starting, our bench has been so good that I understand Coach V not wanting to fiddle with that chemistry just yet. And I want to see Brandon get meaningful minutes under Vogel, so I'm fine with him starting. This is exciting (again, with apologies to Dun - I'm not gonna say it's good that he is injured).

sunsun
02-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Welcome back to the game...Brandon!

Psyren
02-23-2011, 06:18 PM
For the love of the Pacers, please Brandon Rush, PLEASE don't suck.

Move without the ball. Play like you care. Keep up the good defense.

owl
02-23-2011, 06:20 PM
And the Dunleavy era is over.

PacerPenguins
02-23-2011, 06:21 PM
And the Dunleavy era is over.

while the lance era begins

HickeyS2000
02-23-2011, 06:21 PM

I've broken fingers 8 times, most times playing sports in high school. I broke my thumb in a basketball game and continued to play the rest of the game. Granted it was a hairline fracture. I don't recall them saying the degree of fracture.

Scot Pollard
02-23-2011, 06:22 PM
I've broken fingers 8 times, most times playing sports in high school. I broke my thumb in a basketball game and continued to play the rest of the game. Granted it was a hairline fracture. I don't recall them saying the degree of fracture.

I broke or sprained it I don't remember my index finger when I was a kid as an elevator door was closing.

vnzla81
02-23-2011, 06:22 PM
For the love of the Pacers, please Brandon Rush, PLEASE don't suck.

Move without the ball. Play like you care. Keep up the good defense.

He was the main reason why the Pacers went to overtime with the Pistons last time :twocents:

Pacersalltheway10
02-23-2011, 06:23 PM
This just feels like a cover up. the timing suggests also. Why wait to announce this 2 hours from the start of the game on a busy trading day? usually you here about a player having such a serious injury like this in the early-mid afternoon. i think we will be hearing about dunleavy or ford traded soon.

vnzla81
02-23-2011, 06:24 PM

Kobe has like two broken fingers and he is been playing like that for years now.

HickeyS2000
02-23-2011, 06:25 PM
I broke or sprained it I don't remember my index finger when I was a kid as an elevator door was closing.

Not a fun thing. My fingers look pretty bad. Not Torry Holt bad, but crooked.

Eleazar
02-23-2011, 06:26 PM

He could just as easily broken his thumb by accidentally hitting a door or counter with it after the game.

Sookie
02-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Kobe has like two broken fingers and he is been playing like that for years now.

A thumb is a little different though.

Kuq_e_Zi91

kobe's knee is also near bone-on-bone. they just don't make em like him anymore.

Scot Pollard
Not a fun thing. My fingers look pretty bad. Not Torry Holt bad, but crooked.

I only broke it once and had to wear that metal finger slip.

I've heard tearing ligaments in your finger is worse than breaking it.

I remember breaking my finger hurt so much and I didn't even see what it looked it.

IndyPacer
02-23-2011, 06:30 PM
Rush and George supporters have argued that we'll have a better team with Dunleavy out of the lineup. Now we'll see for ourselves whether that's true.

I'm hoping to see some of Stephenson now. And someone get a chaperone for this guy to make sure there are no more ridiculous off-court blunders.

ilive4sports
02-23-2011, 06:30 PM
kobe's knee is also near bone-on-bone. they just don't make em like him anymore.

Dujain Blair has no ACLs...

xBulletproof
02-23-2011, 06:33 PM

I've broken a finger, and taped them together and kept on going. I think a thumb would be entirely different.

Regardless, this sucks because I think he was our most tradeable piece. Bad timing.

DemonHunter1105
02-23-2011, 06:34 PM
Yeah, DeJuan Blair makes no sense though.

Kuq_e_Zi91
02-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Dujain Blair has no ACLs...

You're right. We'll see how those knees hold up after 14 years.

Slick Pinkham
02-23-2011, 06:39 PM
while the lance era begins

and/or the PG learning curve is accelerated.

Personally I'd give only half, at most, of MD's minutes to Brandon and the rest to PG, letting Lance learn in the background. PG is ready.

Pacersalltheway10
02-23-2011, 06:51 PM
THE MURPHLEAVY CURSE IS OVER!!! (maybe I hope)

smj887
02-23-2011, 06:54 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned, don't have time to read the whole thread but I'm at the game now and Lance appears to be dressed.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

vnzla81
02-23-2011, 06:58 PM
Here was a conversation between me and MG :D

He was talking about twitter killing him(was slow)

“@Indyvnzla81: Larry and the Pacers are the ones Killing me :(” I'm sure many r hoping at least 3 regulars aren't in uni's 2nite...
about 2 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone

“@Indyvnzla81: I'm hoping Dun is not in pacers uniform today :crossingfingers” Jinx!!!!!!!!!! (MG's answer)14 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

Pacersalltheway10
02-23-2011, 07:05 PM
dunleavy for caron butler. just so the murphleavy curse is officially out of the building.

cdash
02-23-2011, 07:17 PM
I kinda feel bad for Mike. I don't know how long he will be out, but if we make the playoffs, I'd feel really bad for him not being able to play, if that were the case. Say what you want about his defense and what not, but the guy deserves to play in the postseason.

QuickRelease
02-23-2011, 07:36 PM
Did anyone else notice that Lance's case had been dismissed? Does this change anyone's perception of him in any way?

QuickRelease
02-23-2011, 07:39 PM
Did anyone else notice that Lance's case had been dismissed? Does this change anyone's perception of him in any way?

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=61898 (http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=61898)

Like, maybe an entire thread dedicated to the subject...perhaps. :blush:

xBulletproof
02-23-2011, 07:55 PM
http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=61898 (http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=61898)

Like, maybe an entire thread dedicated to the subject...perhaps. :blush:

Or 5 of them. :laugh:

pacer4ever
02-23-2011, 09:59 PM
I hate to bring this up Mosley but remember my post from yesterday about if we are trying to trade Dunleavy sit him so he doesnt get injuried. I really hate that he got hurt I think I jinxs him.

Psyren
02-23-2011, 10:01 PM
Here's a question I'm sure someone can answer (I'm too lazy to look it up).

Can we still trade Dunleavy if he's hurt? Or is there some type of clause that prevents that?

pacer4ever
02-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Here's a question I'm sure someone can answer (I'm too lazy to look it up).

Can we still trade Dunleavy if he's hurt? Or is there some type of clause that prevents that?

Yes you can. The Rockets have been shopping Yao Ming all season and he is out for the year. The other team just has to waive the physical.

Psyren
02-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Yes you can. The Rockets have been shopping Yao Ming all season and he is out for the year. The other team just has to waive the physical.

Ahh, I forgot the whole Yao Ming thing :laugh:

Thanks for the answer though. Good to know that we can still deal him, if we can use him to just help some teams salary next year.

pacer4ever
02-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Ahh, I forgot the whole Yao Ming thing :laugh:

Thanks for the answer though. Good to know that we can still deal him, if we can use him to just help some teams salary next year.

and the Mavs were rumored to be shopping Caron Butler who is out for the year.

Pacerized
02-23-2011, 10:36 PM
Dun's one chance to really help the Pacers. I was hoping I wouldn't see West or Kaman play tonight but they're both in. Dun and a 1st. for Kaman would've made me happy. I'd still do the same thing with Rush if they'd take it.

pizza guy
02-23-2011, 11:11 PM
I'm a little surprised at the reaction on here. I know Mike is no one's favorite player, but dancing fruit for an injury? Doesn't seem like the normal PD reaction. Maybe I'm just being up tight about it...it is only a broken thumb and not something terribly serious.

Man, these last few days I've really been a Mike apologist. I don't think he's a starter, but I do think he's a good 6th man who brings energy and effort. His defense blows, but he makes some good hustle plays. I don't know, I guess I'm turning into what UB was for O'Brien. I don't really love the guy, I just think he takes too much crap from us.

All that said, I wish him a quick recovery and I do hope to see him in a Pacers uniform again this season (EDIT: Unless he is traded). But, the fact that his injury is allowing Rush and PG, and maybe Lance now, to get more playing time is only a positive thing for the future of the franchise.

Unclebuck
02-23-2011, 11:14 PM
I agree pizza guy

My personal opinion is that many posts in this thread are rather disgraceful towards Mike.

I don't understand the mentality

dgranger17
02-23-2011, 11:19 PM
I'm a little surprised at the reaction on here. I know Mike is no one's favorite player, but dancing fruit for an injury? Doesn't seem like the normal PD reaction. Maybe I'm just being up tight about it...it is only a broken thumb and not something terribly serious.

Man, these last few days I've really been a Mike apologist. I don't think he's a starter, but I do think he's a good 6th man who brings energy and effort. His defense blows, but he makes some good hustle plays. I don't know, I guess I'm turning into what UB was for O'Brien. I don't really love the guy, I just think he takes too much crap from us.

All that said, I wish him a quick recovery and I do hope to see him in a Pacers uniform again this season (EDIT: Unless he is traded). But, the fact that his injury is allowing Rush and PG, and maybe Lance now, to get more playing time is only a positive thing for the future of the franchise.

You must not read PD too often.

Conference Finals

pizza guy
02-24-2011, 12:29 AM
You must not read PD too often.

Conference Finals

LOL

What I meant was that we, as a group, are usually rather caring and sympathetic to injuries -- even when it's a player we generally dislike. I wish I could think of a good example, but PD is usually a pretty classy place (I use that term loosely).

Again, it's not a real big deal because it's his thumb and not something like what 'Quis suffered recently. I was just a little surprised.

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 12:33 AM

I said last night rest him in case of an injury and got grilled for it. People replying What "if" is like saying what if Dunleavy scores 40 2nite. I hate he is injured but I think if we were really agressivly shopping him we should have rested him.

DrFife
02-24-2011, 12:52 AM
Apparently, the typical recovery time is six to eight weeks, which means he'll be out until the playoffs. If a contender is interested in him, this shouldn't be a deal-breaker ... or at least something to thumb their noses at.... :p

pacer4ever
02-24-2011, 12:54 AM
Apparently, the typical recovery time is six to eight weeks, which means he'll be out until the playoffs. If a contender is interested in him, this shouldn't be a deal-breaker ... or at least something to thumb their noses at.... :p

That would be a deal breaker if I was the other team. You cant just fit him in to your team a couple games before the post season starts.