PDA

View Full Version : new player signed!

rel
09-20-2004, 06:09 PM
Pacers Sign USC Guard Farmer

Pacers News Release | Sept. 20, 2004
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Farmer

The Indiana Pacers announced Monday they have signed rookie free agent Desmon Farmer to a contract.

Per club policy, terms were not released.

Farmer, a 6-5, 220-pound guard, played collegiately at Southern California.

He was an honorable mention All-America and first team All Pac-10 his senior season as he averaged 19.4 points per game.

He finished No. 4 on USCís all-time scoring list with 1,606 points.

The Pacers begin training camp on the Finish Line Court in Conseco Fieldhouse, Tuesday, Oct. 5.

Media Day will be Monday, Oct. 4, on the Finish Line Court.

from pacers.com

----------------------

i wonder where this guy is gonna find any minutes?!

Ragnar
09-20-2004, 06:25 PM
Man we have a lot of shooting guards now.

Dr Huxtable
09-20-2004, 06:40 PM
So that's what, 17 players on the TC roster?

MSA2CF
09-20-2004, 07:05 PM
Car-son Pal-mer...duh duh, duh duh duh.

Car-son Pal-mer....:p

Cactus Jax
09-20-2004, 07:20 PM
I seriously doubt he has a guaranteed contract.

Whoops, I thought it said UCLA, not USC.

Kstat
09-20-2004, 07:34 PM
I played against that guy in high school!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

He always had chronic leg problems and there were doubts about his durability, but apparently he did it at USC. I don't even think he wears his knee brace anymore.

Farmer is a good kid, he was never the best player on his team. His teamates was Michigan's "Mr. basketball," Kelvin Torbert, who dropped 40-50 point games like most of us drop free throws. Farmer always flew in under the radar. His team averaged about 115 ppg, but they never had the defense to make it to the top.

I think its cool he's getting a shot at the pros.

BTW, his team never beat mine.:p

sweabs
09-20-2004, 07:38 PM
Kstat, you play ball?

What position?

Kstat
09-20-2004, 07:47 PM
PLAYED. small forward.

unstandable
09-23-2004, 01:37 AM
The Mayhem's No. 1 No. 1

Wednesday, September 22, 2004
By Tom Kendra
CHRONICLE ASSISTANT SPORTS EDITOR

http://www.mlive.com/sports/muchronicle/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1095867945258980.xml

Michigan Mayhem coach Reggie Fox said he was looking for "home-grown talent" in Tuesday's Continental Basketball Association college draft.

He found it.

Four of the Mayhem's six draft picks have Michigan ties, including University of Southern California guard Desmon Farmer, the first overall pick out of 48 selections and the first player in Mayhem franchise history.

"Desmon will be the best player in the CBA," said an excited Fox, stepping outside a packed Mayhem draft party at Buffalo Wild Wings in Fruitport Township.

"A lot of teams have been calling and wanting to trade up to draft him, but no way. He's our guy."

Farmer, a 6-5, 220-pound lefty who is the fourth-leading scorer in USC history, is a 2000 graduate of Flint Northwestern, which has produced as many basketball stars as any high school in the country, notably Trent Tucker, Jeff Grayer, Glen Rice and Morris Peterson.

The Mayhem not only got the man they wanted on Tuesday, but they got him to town for the draft party -- which was the hardest part.

Farmer was not selected in July's two-round NBA Draft but signed a free-agent contract with Indiana on Monday, which is contingent on him making the Pacers' final roster. He worked out for Pacers' General Manager Larry Bird on Tuesday afternoon in Indianapolis.

The Mayhem then flew Farmer to Muskegon on a private jet, which arrived at the Muskegon County Airport at 7:15 p.m., just in time to make it for the draft party's start at 7:30.

"I think playing in the CBA will be a great situation for me," said Farmer, a streaky shooter who is known for his headband, fiery personality and screaming after scoring a basket.

"I play with a lot of energy and I show it because I want my teammates to get excited and get into the game. I'm ready to go."

The Mayhem went big with its No. 2 pick, taking 6-9 rebounding and shot-blocking machine Arthur Johnson from Missouri, who was a prep star at Detroit Pershing.

The No. 3 and No. 4 picks in the six-round draft were the Mayhem's only choices without Michigan ties. David Hawkins is a sharpshooter out of Temple and Shawnson Johnson is a 6-9 load who started his college career at LSU and finished at North Texas State.

The No. 5 pick drew the second-biggest roar of the night from the fans, as the Mayhem picked Michigan State backup center Jason Andreas, a 6-10 banger.

The final pick was also in-state -- Mike Williams, a 6-8 shooting forward who led Western Michigan to the Mid-American Conference championship and an NCAA Tournament berth last season.

Mayhem General Manager Peter Jackson and Fox -- along with assistant coaches Durand Watkins, Jai Steadman and Terry Sare -- made all six selections in a crowded corner of the packed and crowded room, through a conference call between the eight CBA teams. The draft was officially held at the league offices in Boise, Idaho.

"I couldn't hear a thing," said Jackson. "The other places were nice and quiet. Everyone was asking what the heck was going on up here."

What was going on was the birth of a professional basketball team in Muskegon, which hasn't had pro hoops since the Muskegon Panthers of the North American Basketball League, who folded on Dec. 22, 1967, after three full seasons and seven games into a fourth.

The party started in the restaurant's parking lot, where the 12-member Pandemonium dance team performed and Chaos, the team's mascot, arrived via limousine.

By the end of the night, the dance team was on the inside stage doing an encore performance, which included top draft pick Farmer dancing alongside.

Farmer's signing with Indiana of the NBA on Monday and his drafting by the Mayhem on Tuesday illustrates the dilemma of building a CBA team.

Jackson and Fox want to draft the best available players, but they also want to pick someone who won't end up on an NBA roster, or in Europe or anywhere else.

"Drafting him is one thing, but getting Desmon to come here and want to play for us is another big part of it," said Fox, a Baldwin native and ex-CBA All-Star.

Flying him into town and allowing him to see the excitement surrounding the team's first draft festivities was important, Fox said. Farmer is considered a longshot to make the Pacers' roster as an undrafted rookie.

"The NBA is my main goal, of course," said Farmer, who scored 40 points in an upset victory over No. 7 Arizona last season. "But this is great. I would love to play here."

The Mayhem open training camp on Nov. 1 and must trim its roster to 10 players by Nov. 17. The opening game is Nov. 19 at the L.C. Walker Arena against the Great Lakes Storm.