PDA

View Full Version : Utah Jazz trade Deron Williams to the Nets

BPump33
02-23-2011, 12:00 PM
Utah has agreed to trade All-Star point guard Deron Williams to Nets in multi-player package, Yahoo! Sports has learned. Deal is done.

Nets are on brink of getting Deron Williams in 3-team deal that will send Derrick Favors, Devin Harris and picks to Utah, sources tell Y

Derrick Favors has been pulled out of Nets practice, and told he's being traded to a Western Conference team, source tells Yahoo! Sports.

Favors will go to Jazz with Harris, two first-round picks. Nets wlll send Troy Murphy to Golden State, and Warriors send Gadzuric to Nets.

All of this from:

http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

graphic-er
02-23-2011, 12:00 PM
Damn! What the heck, the East is just loaded now! Can the Pacers switch conferences???

MagicRat
02-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Can Jerry Sloan un-retire now?

littlerichard54
02-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Haven't seen and can't find any info on this. Do you have a link?

littlerichard54
02-23-2011, 12:02 PM

Sorry, just saw your Twitter link.

graphic-er
02-23-2011, 12:03 PM
And what the hell Larry, Where were you in this? Trying to get Landry I guess..... We have just as many assets to get Dwill. Our whole team has more value than the NETS!

Peck
02-23-2011, 12:03 PM

It's blowing up on twitter right now, links to follow.

Unclebuck
02-23-2011, 12:04 PM
I am shocked the Jazz traded him.

I changed the thread title slightly - just added "the Jazz" because when I first read it I thought it couldn't be the jazz Deron Williams

wow

PacerGuy
02-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Would you have traded Danny/DC & a 1st (or 2)?

littlerichard54
And what the hell Larry, Where were you in this? Trying to get Landry I guess..... We have just as many assets to get Dwill. Our whole team has more value than the NETS!

Did Landry go to the Hornets?

vnzla81
WTF Utah?

PacerGuy
Milsap available???

Day-V
Have fun not making the playoffs, Deron.

LA_Confidential
02-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this is a better deal for the Nets than getting Melo?

Unclebuck

a protected first?

yes I would have done that. Unless there is something about Deron Williams we don't know about.

Peck

I changed the thread title slightly - just added "the Jazz" because when I first read it I thought it couldn't be the jazz Deron Williams

wow

Honestly this might be the first shot or it might be the only shot only time will tell to prevent teams from having happened to them what happened to the Cavs and the Nuggets.

If you have a star who is going to be a free agent and they won't extend then some teams might find this the best way to go.

I just hope the new CBA fixes this in some fashion.

BPump33
02-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Good news: We play Utah on Friday.

Peck
02-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this is a better deal for the Nets than getting Melo?

Nope, to me this is much better than getting Melo. Melo is a great player but Williams is both a great player and he makes other players around him better to where I don't think Anthony does.

LA_Confidential
02-23-2011, 12:08 PM

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/avAHeKW7ff4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Aw Heck
So you force Jerry Sloan to resign because he's not getting along with your star point guard and then a few weeks later you trade that same star point guard?

Way to go, Utah management. You've managed to rid yourself of Deron Williams and Jerry Sloan in about a month.

Speed
wow, I'd take Deron Williams over Melo, not even hesitate.

graphic-er
02-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Heck this might have been the reason Sloan walked away. Maybe they decided to trade Dwill and rebuild, and Sloan wanted no part of it.

Unclebuck
02-23-2011, 12:11 PM
I don't believe Sloan was pushed out because Deron wanted him gone. I don't have inside info - but have read a lot on the subject and I don't think that was the case and this trade I think is further evidence to support my side

Taterhead
02-23-2011, 12:11 PM
See, NBA stars get traded all the time.

Man it would of been nice to get him.

Speed
02-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Wonder if Al Jefferson is moving too?

vnzla81
02-23-2011, 12:14 PM
I really hope Larry has some trade coming, this type of trades are the ones that make me mad, we should be the ones making this trade, F***.

BPump33
Wonder if Al Jefferson is moving too?

Favors, Jefferson and Millsap in the frontcourt. I call dibs on Millsap.

yoadknux
And my only question is
HOW COME WE DONT DO ANYTHING?!
It's as if the pacers are OK with being medicore! And losing is "ok" because "we're a young squad and we're building" - for 4 years!
I would have agreed to Collison+Granger+Picks or Collison+George+Picks for him

immortality
02-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Did he remove the twitter, because it doesn't seem to be up there any more.

Speed
02-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Favors, Jefferson and Millsap in the frontcourt. I call dibs on Millsap.

Good call, I'd look at renting AK47 maybe now too.

naptownmenace
02-23-2011, 12:19 PM
Unbelievable!

DWill is the one player I've been hoping the Pacers could pursue in 2012. This is a horrible trade for Utah. I have no idea what they hope to accomplish by this.

The Pacers have way better pieces to offer if they would agree to trade Paul George and DC along with Dunleavy. Oh well. At least the Pacers odds of beating Utah on Friday have increased.

graphic-er
02-23-2011, 12:20 PM
Maybe Hayward is..............HAH! I GOT YOU!

vnzla81
02-23-2011, 12:21 PM
The Nets are getting Dwill and the Pacers were looking to get freaking Carl Landry, really Larry? :mad:

Unclebuck
Unbelievable!

DWill is the one player I've been hoping the Pacers could pursue in 2012. This is a horrible trade for Utah. I have no idea what they hope to accomplish by this.

I think the Jazz did what the Nuggets just did. Trade a player they think they are going to lose anyway. Try and get the best players in return as they can. Don't be stuck like the cavs and Raptors.

Jazz must have figured Williams was going to leave as soon as he could.

wintermute
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-jazzwilliamsnets022311

Jazz deal All-Star Williams to Nets

The Utah Jazz have agreed to deal All-Star point guard Deron Williams(notes) to the New Jersey Nets in a three-way deal that will send Derrick Favors(notes), Devin Harris(notes) and two first-round draft picks to Utah, sources tell Y! Sports.

The Nets will also receive forwards Brandan Wright(notes) and Dan Gadzuric(notes) from the Golden State Warriors and send the Warriors forward Troy Murphy(notes). New Jersey will also send $3 million to the Jazz.

Williams, the two-time All-Star point guard, had been unhappy with the Jazz and the organization believed that he would leave as a free agent in 2012. His falling-out with ex-Jazz coach Jerry Sloan played a part in the Hall of Fame coach’s decision to retire earlier in the month.

purdue101
02-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Why aren't we involved in this? Danny/DC is a much better package and fits Utah's needs more. A Deron/PG/Hibbert future would be very bright.

PacerGuy
I wonder about AK & Milsap's availability.

I think AK would be a great short-term addition to what we do.
(I can't imagine him wanting to stay there now!)

I think Milsap would be a great long-term PF addition.
(If Utah is rebuilding, them moving Milsap's contract is a possibility)

Swish
And my only question is
HOW COME WE DONT DO ANYTHING?!
It's as if the pacers are OK with being medicore! And losing is "ok" because "we're a young squad and we're building" - for 4 years!
I would have agreed to Collison+Granger+Picks or Collison+George+Picks for him

Trading Granger and Collison doesn't help us at all. Williams is awesome, but he's not so awesome that he's going to be the thing that propels the team that would be left into the playoffs by himself.

HickeyS2000
02-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Trading Granger and Collison doesn't help us at all. Williams is awesome, but he's not so awesome that he's going to be the thing that propels the team that would be left into the playoffs by himself.

I disagree. He is a top 3 PG in a PG league.

McKeyFan
02-23-2011, 12:24 PM
yep.

wintermute
02-23-2011, 12:25 PM
I think the Jazz did what the Nuggets just did. Trade a player they think they are going to lose anyway. Try and get the best players in return as they can. Don't be stuck like the cavs and Raptors.

Jazz must have figured Williams was going to leave as soon as he could.

Exactly. There was a recent report that Deron was already planning on NY in 2012.

That said, I think the Jazz could have tried harder to keep him :mad:

Btw, I think a lot of you are underestimating the value of an athletic big man prospect like Favors. Not to mention their #1 picks. We'd have to part with Hibbert, Collison, and George to make a comparable offer, I think.

Basketball Fan
02-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Heck this might have been the reason Sloan walked away. Maybe they decided to trade Dwill and rebuild, and Sloan wanted no part of it.

That's more believable than D-Will forcing Sloan out.

Unclebuck
I think Bird has raved about Deron Williams in the past.

So maybe the Jazz didn't want Collisonm, maybe they didn't want Granger or george. maybe they really wanted Favors?

Or maybe the jazz wanted Roy - and that could have been a deal breaker

I believe Bird would have gone after Williams hard if he could

Swish
Nets have also made another trade, according to Woj. So at the end of all this, it looks like this is how it breaks down:

Nets Get:

Deron Williams

Jazz Get:

Derrick Favors
Devin Harris
2 First Round Picks
$3 Million

Nets Get:

Dan Gadzuric
Brandan Wright

Warriors Get:

Troy Murphy

PacerGuy
02-23-2011, 12:27 PM

I agree, but I'd be VERY hesitent to move Danny w/o having an extention in hand. Without an extention & knowing he wants to go to NY, I'm not sure I would have done that deal. If I thought DW resigns (or IS resigned) then I'd do it, but as is, too big a risk.

BRushWithDeath
02-23-2011, 12:28 PM

In a millisecond.

BPump33
02-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Nets have also made another trade, according to Woj. So at the end of all this, it looks like this is how it breaks down:

Nets Get:

Deron Williams

Jazz Get:

Derrick Favors
Manny Harris
2 First Round Picks
$3 Million

Nets Get:

Dan Gadzuric
Brandan Wright

Warriors Get:

Troy Murphy

Devin Harris, not Manny.

flox
02-23-2011, 12:30 PM
The two picks for the deal are the Nets 2011 and the GSW 2011.

I would be on the phones with Utah right now trying to get one of their bigs. Favors, Milsap, Jefferson can't all coexist.

edit: My bad, they are now reporting it's the Warriors 2012 pick. Trade looks better for Utah now. 2011 seems to be a weaker draft.

vnzla81
02-23-2011, 12:31 PM
The best point guard in the NBA just got traded, f***

purdue101
We need to get involved on Jefferson/Milsap ASAP! No way Utah lets Favors rot on the bench, someone is getting moved. We have the wings Utah needs to get this done.

Rush, 1st, expirings, cash

McKeyFan
Warriors Get:

Troy Murphy

Look for another Golden State run deep into the playoffs.

:D

Unclebuck
02-23-2011, 12:32 PM
The best point guard in the NBA just got traded, f***

Derrick Rose was traded also?

What is going on???

wintermute
02-23-2011, 12:32 PM
This deal saves Utah just under $2m this year. That still leaves the Jazz over the tax by about $5m. I would think with the Deron trade that they've given up on making the playoffs this year, so there's got to be another deal (probably AK) in the works to get them under the tax.

BPump33
02-23-2011, 12:34 PM
Why is everyone complaining about us not doing anything? We don't know if we tried and also we don't know if DWill would have signed an extension with us. I'm guessing he wouldn't have, but who knows.

Or what pacerguy said.

Unclebuck
I don't really want Jefferson.

Milsap - yes for sure,. but I'd be shocked if the jazz traded him. (but then yesterday I would have said the jazz will never trade D. Will

Gamble1
I agree, but I'd be VERY hesitent to move Danny w/o having an extention in hand. Without an extention & knowing he wants to go to NY, I'm not sure I would have done that deal. If I thought DW resigns (or IS resigned) then I'd do it, but as is, too big a risk.
This X10. He may hate the nets and not sign the extension with them as well.

This could break our franchise if he did that to us.

Peck
02-23-2011, 12:35 PM
The two picks for the deal are the Nets 2011 and the GSW 2011.

I would be on the phones with Utah right now trying to get one of their bigs. Favors, Milsap, Jefferson can't all coexist.

What will be two lottery picks.

Again I hate to see small market teams losing out like this but overall Utah at least did get something back.

JB24
02-23-2011, 12:36 PM
We need to get involved on Jefferson/Milsap ASAP! No way Utah lets Favors rot on the bench, someone is getting moved. We have the wings Utah needs to get this done.

Rush, 1st, expirings, cash

I'd throw in Hansbrough as well if they wanted him. Millsap would be awesome for this team and he's locked into an incredibly cheap contract, relative to his production.

Swish
02-23-2011, 12:37 PM

You think a lineup of:

Deron Williams
Brandon Rush
D. Jones/P. George
Josh McRoberts
Roy Hibbert

is enough to not just make the playoffs, but at a higher seed than 7/8? Williams is a great point guard, not a miracle worker.

And like someone said, there's no guarantee that he would resign with us. Then what??

purdue101
02-23-2011, 12:37 PM
I didn't realize DWill was a FA next summer. With that in mind, I agree. I wouldn't have traded for him without an extension, and from my understanding, it's too early for that.

flox
02-23-2011, 12:38 PM
My bad, they are now reporting it's the Warriors 2012 pick. Trade looks better for Utah now. 2011 seems to be a weaker draft.

flox
02-23-2011, 12:39 PM
I didn't realize DWill was a FA next summer. With that in mind, I agree. I wouldn't have traded for him without an extension, and from my understanding, it's too early for that.

Where will he sign? He can't go to the Knicks because they don't have anything close to a max offer.

Merz
02-23-2011, 12:39 PM
I want Millsapp!! Get him Larry.

wintermute
02-23-2011, 12:40 PM
No, Deron is FA in 2012. But I guess the Jazz thought there's a decent chance of a lockout in 2011-2012.

Incredibly, the Nets paid LESS for Deron than what they were reportedly offering for Melo (2 less picks, no cap relief).

Sparhawk
02-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Holy crap. Can the Pacers please make some moves too. Ugh.

dohman
02-23-2011, 12:43 PM
I don't think they would of wanted Danny. My guess is we would be giving up Hubbard and george at the bare bare minimum.

Horrible grade for new jersey. A one year rental for a team that is not going to make the playlets and you gave up the entire reason why you tanked last year......................

graphic-er
My Gosh Larry the entire Eastern Conference is leap frogging us.

pacer4ever
The Jazz are smart getting full value for Deron before he leaves

yoadknux
02-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Can you guys imagine the east next year?
We'd probably not make it to the top 6 because no matter who we sign this summer, I can't imagine we'd be better than Boston, Chicago, Orlando, Miami, New York, Atlanta.
We'd still be going for 7-8, but this time it'll be harder, because Nets got a Superstar now. We don't. :(

pacer4ever
02-23-2011, 12:45 PM

NJ is 17-40 bro

HickeyS2000
02-23-2011, 12:45 PM
You think a lineup of:

Deron Williams
Brandon Rush
D. Jones/P. George
Josh McRoberts
Roy Hibbert

is enough to not just make the playoffs, but at a higher seed than 7/8? Williams is a great point guard, not a miracle worker.

And like someone said, there's no guarantee that he would resign with us. Then what??

I'll agree with the re-signing issue. But yes, I believe

Deron Williams/Price
Rush/Duns
P. George/D. Jones
Josh McRoberts/Hans
Roy Hibbert

would be enough to challenge for a higher seed. Can you imagine Williams throwing lobs to McBob/George and always putting Hibbert in a position to succeed?

:drool:

purdue101
02-23-2011, 12:46 PM
I'm going to throw the following out.

AK47 (expiring)
Milsap
$25M

For

Rush
JMac
1st & 2nd rounder
Dunleavy (expiring)
Ford (expiring)
$21M

We are taking on an extra $4M this year, however it keeps us below the LT. It gets Utah close to being under the LT, which is a huge benefit to the tune of $8M. We are within the 25%cushion.

We get our PF with no long term commitments as AK is expiring. Utah saves a ton of money this year, frees up room for Favors, gets some young pieces/picks, without any long term commitments either as Dun/Ford expire.

flox
02-23-2011, 12:46 PM
According to the capologist Larry Coon- Deron is NOT eligible for an extension before the CBA expires.

http://twitter.com/#!/LarryCoon/status/40451752763465729

xIndyFan
02-23-2011, 12:47 PM

:amen:

now if phoenix would just get off the snide and trade steve nash, my weekend will be complete. :dance:

Hicks
02-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Wow! I'd been on PD more or less from 9:30 to just about 10:59, I leave to do something else, and now I come back and 'BAM' here this thread is waiting for me. I'm shocked. So much for the Utah Jazz we knew. First Sloan, now this!

ksuttonjr76
Eastern Conference keeps getting stronger and stronger. The winds are shifting.

vnzla81
Larry better makes some S happens before the trade deadline.

graphic-er
02-23-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm going to throw the following out.

AK47 (expiring)
Milsap
$25M

For

Rush
JMac
1st & 2nd rounder
Dunleavy (expiring)
Ford (expiring)
$21M

We are taking on an extra $4M this year, however it keeps us below the LT. It gets Utah close to being under the LT, which is a huge benefit to the tune of $8M. We are within the 25%cushion.

We get our PF with no long term commitments as AK is expiring. Utah saves a ton of money this year, frees up room for Favors, gets some young pieces/picks, without any long term commitments either as Dun/Ford expire.

I'd think we would have give up much more talent to get a deal like that. Probably need to throw in Tyler or George over Jmax. But man we would be a great team.

Sparhawk
02-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Really bad timing for the Pacers. We are an up and coming teams, but others teams have good tradeable assets and just leap frog us.

I'm sure the Nets made this trade with Deron willing to sign an extension.

Let's see if the Pacers make any moves.

I can't see how players switching teams (especially stars) is good for the league. Fans are not going to be happy in the long run. Just one of the reasons I no longer buy jerseys.

PacerGuy
02-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Just a thought:

Dun/ Ford/ S.Jones/ '11 1st
for
AK47/Milsap

(Utah likely asks hor Han's or McBob, but this would be MY offer)

-Saves Utah 10 mil (they are over the lux tax by 5 mil)
-Dun would be a great mentor to Hayward (AK not so much)
-Add's another 1st rd. pick

PURDUE 101 posted a similar trade while I was on the trade machine...

PaceBalls
02-23-2011, 12:52 PM
I don't think they would of wanted Danny. My guess is we would be giving up Hubbard and george at the bare bare minimum.

I know all the Scientologist Pacer fans would totally freak out about that.

Speed
02-23-2011, 12:52 PM
I wonder how many ACTUAL games Deron will play for NJ?

27 or so for this year. Then if there's a lock out, how many in next year?

BPump33
02-23-2011, 12:53 PM

I'm not down for making a trade just to make a trade. If something comes along that will make us better, sure go for it.

If we were guaranteed to be able to keep DWill I would have liked this, but I'm not willing to give up DG/DC2 without having that guarantee.

BPump33
02-23-2011, 12:53 PM
STEIN_LINE_HQ

RT @Lockedonsports: Deron Williams told me it was not his choice. He's stunned. Declined interview until he figures out what it all means

flox
02-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Deron Williams told me it was not his choice. He is stunned. Declined to do interview until he figures out what it all means.

http://twitter.com/#!/Lockedonsports/status/40453357130752000

David Locke hosts Locked on Sports on 1320, K-Fan and is the Utah Jazz pbp announcer

Speed
Another thing, everyone wanting a Pacers move... It needs to be a GOOD move, right?

PaceBalls
Just a thought:

Dun/ Ford/ S.Jones/ '11 1st
for
AK47/Milsap

(Utah likely asks hor Han's or McBob, but this would be MY offer)

-Saves Utah 10 mil (they are over the lux tax by 5 mil)
-Dun would be a great mentor to Hayward (AK not so much)
-Add's another 1st rd. pick

I like it, gives Utah alot of expirings, gives us the good players.

PaceBalls
02-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Deron Williams told me it was not his choice. He is stunned. Declined to do interview until he figures out what it all means.

http://twitter.com/#!/Lockedonsports/status/40453357130752000 (http://twitter.com/#%21/Lockedonsports/status/40453357130752000)

David Locke hosts Locked on Sports on 1320, K-Fan and is the Utah Jazz pbp announcer

I kinda wonder if Sloan said he will return if they trade DWill.

purdue101
02-23-2011, 12:56 PM
I'd think we would have give up much more talent to get a deal like that. Probably need to throw in Tyler or George over Jmax. But man we would be a great team.

The fact that Utah is $5M over the LT and we are $5M under is HUGE. We could take on $5M in salary but it would save Utah $10M - that's a massive incentive for a small market team.

AK47, Dun, and Ford are needed to beef up the incoming/outgoing salaries, which allows us to increase the disparity to $5M while staying within 25%. Neither team takes any long term hits as everything expires in June anyways.

k_lewis93
02-23-2011, 12:59 PM
Please go for Jefferson!! Make it happen Larry!

vnzla81
02-23-2011, 12:59 PM
Another thing, everyone wanting a Pacers move... It needs to be a GOOD move, right?

Of course, something better than Landry for sure.

Unclebuck
02-23-2011, 01:00 PM

Nope - at the trade deadline we all just want the pacers to do something.

Sparhawk
02-23-2011, 01:01 PM
I'd love to make a trade and get AK47.

Mackey_Rose
02-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Collison and Granger and our 1st is not as good of a package as what the Nets gave them.

Would have been sweet for us, but the Jazz got the better deal.

Peck
02-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Milsap is the only player on their team that I would have any interest in & even then I would not want to give up much to get him.

Believe me I love Milsap but he is undersized and you will always be looking for a bigger player to either play with him or replace him.

Hicks
02-23-2011, 01:07 PM
NJ is 17-40 bro

That, and let's recall who their other players still are. New Jersey still has a LOT of work to do before we start worrying about them surpassing us in the standings (not just now, but whenever the next season comes along).

They have Deron Williams, then Brook Lopez, then.....

Peck
02-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Collison and Granger and our 1st is not as good of a package as what the Nets gave them.

Would have been sweet for us, but the Jazz got the better deal.

Other than the draft picks, which of course are always a crap shoot, I don't know that I agree on this.

Granger is far greater than Favors & he is still better than Harris but not by as much.

Collison is greater than Favors & frankly I don't think he is any worse than what Harris has been in N.J.

Of course we don't have the multiple lottery picks to choose from either so that is what swung the deal there.

In fact I really think people are seeing far more in Favors than I do. I've seen him play 4 times now and not once have I come away thinking that there is going to be something there.

He reminds me of Stromile Swift.

pacer4ever
02-23-2011, 01:09 PM
Other than the draft picks, which of course are always a crap shoot, I don't know that I agree on this.

Granger is far greater than Favors & he is still better than Harris but not by as much.

Collison is greater than Favors & frankly I don't think he is any worse than what Harris has been in N.J.

Of course we don't have the multiple lottery picks to choose from either so that is what swung the deal there.

In fact I really think people are seeing far more in Favors than I do. I've seen him play 4 times now and not once have I come away thinking that there is going to be something there.

He reminds me of Stromile Swift.

Not to a team who is rebuliding Favors has way more value to a rebuliding team.

Peck
02-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Not to a team who is rebuliding Favors has way more value to a rebuliding team.

Ok, why?

BPump33
02-23-2011, 01:17 PM
rosssiler

Jazz absolutely loved Favors before the draft. The hope all along was that he'd be an option with the Knicks pick.

Edit: He's a retired NBA writer. This was RT'd by TrueHoop.

Speed
02-23-2011, 01:17 PM
That, and let's recall who their other players still are. New Jersey still has a LOT of work to do before we start worrying about them surpassing us in the standings (not just now, but whenever the next season comes along).

I really have no idea who their 3rd and 4th best players are, off the top of my head.

flox
02-23-2011, 01:18 PM
I really have no idea who their 3rd and 4th best players are, off the top of my head.

Anthony Morrow according to my Nets friends.

pacer4ever
02-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Ok, why?

Favors has a lot of poential to grow he is 20. If you are rebuliding you want a good young core. You dont want a stop gap which is what Danny would be. Consider it like this if you put Granger on Utah are they title contenders? You always take the young elite talent and draft picks over a know player like Danny. my :twocents:

Mackey_Rose
02-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Ok, why?

Granger is a finished product. Favors is far from it.

Trading away Deron Williams means they are fully embracing the rebuilding mode. Maybe Favors busts, but he might also become one of the best big men in the league. There is no way to say for sure. You know that Granger while being one of the better players in the league, is not capable of leading a team to anything of substance. In time, perhaps Favors is capable of that.

Harris is better than Collison. Now, likewise maybe Collison becomes better in time, because I don't think he is a finished product either.

The difference in picks, is what truly sets their offer apart from the proposed DC/DG/1st that we could have offered.

graphic-er
How about Okur as a back up center for next season?

croz24
lol at you guys *****ing about how others teams are trading and we aren't, yet in most threads i see many of you refuse to give up granger, collison, hibbert, or george. well which is it??? no way do you get a player like dwill without giving someone up with value.

BPump33
ChrisMannixSI

Jazz may not be done dealing, sources say. Al Jefferson, Paul Millsap and Derrick Favors all under contract until at least 2013.

Peck
02-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Favors has a lot of poential to grow he is 20. If you are rebuliding you want a good young core. You dont want a stop gap which is what Danny would be. Consider it like this if you put Granger on Utah are they title contenders? You always take the young elite talent and draft picks over a know player like Danny. my :twocents:

But couldn't a player like Danny be used to flip to get much better talent?

CableKC
See what hording 1st round picks can do for you?

I'm sure that it's been said before, but in the span of 1 month...the Team went from perennial Playoff hopeful to being a Lottery team. This came TOTALLY out of left field. I'm not surprised that the Nets went to Plan B and offered up the same exact package to the Jazz for Deron over Melo ( who...as Hicks mentioned and I believe...doesn't make anyone better ).

2 days ago, I felt sorry for Nets fans and the FO for having to go through all that Melo-Drama while being used like "bait" to reel in the Knicks....but as many have said...DWill is way better then Melo and IMHO a far better consolation prize.

Cheers to Nets fans for being patient with the Nets FO....no fans deserve to go through the garbage that they went through for a 2nd Tier Franchise Player.

Mackey_Rose

If he could be, why aren't we doing it?

I Love P
02-23-2011, 01:26 PM
These teams in the east are all getting better...and we still have another 24 hours til the deadline.

Hey Larry, get on the phone right now and pull the trigger.

vnzla81

Better talent than Dwill? I don't think so.

pacer4ever

Favors is an elite prospect with Elite talent if he pans out. If we could flip Danny for a better player that would help us win now. Wouldnt we have done it by now???

I Love P
02-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Favors is an elite prospect with Elite talent if he pans out. If we could flip Danny for a better player that would help us win now. Wouldnt we have done it by now???

I saw nothing in college and I have seen nothing in the NBA to tell me that Favors is not going to be a bust. Steal for New Jersey. STEAL.

pacer4ever
02-23-2011, 01:28 PM
:laugh:
lol at you guys *****ing about how others teams are trading and we aren't, yet in most threads i see many of you refuse to give up granger, collison, hibbert, or george. well which is it??? no way do you get a player like dwill without giving someone up with value.
like this :laugh:
http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=61738

Peck
02-23-2011, 01:29 PM

You must be seeing something different in Favors than I am and obviously what N.J. is seeing as how they have been trying to trade him since the season began.

Peck
02-23-2011, 01:30 PM
Better talent than Dwill? I don't think so.

No, definately not better than DWill but I meant to Utah couldn't turn around and use Danny to get better players than what Favors will ever end up being?

vnzla81
ChrisMannixSI Jazz may not be done dealing, sources say. Al Jefferson, Paul Millsap and Derrick Favors all under contract until at least 2013

Go get Millsap Larry

pacer4ever
I saw nothing in college and I have seen nothing in the NBA to tell me that Favors is not going to be a bust. Steal for New Jersey. STEAL.

It doesnt matter what you think it matters what basketball GM's think. The guy just fetch Dwill he must be consider a good talent to the Jazz.

IU_sears
The Nets just pushed all their chips to the center of the table for a great distributor with no talent around him and no guarantee that he will re-sign after next season... Seems like a desperation trade to me that wasn't thought through completely. While they upgraded to a superstar, they mortgaged the future with no other pieces incoming... I don't really like this trade for the Nets and I certainly don't think that they leapfrogged us in terms as TEAM talent... They have absolutely no depth...

I Love P
02-23-2011, 01:31 PM
New Jersey bent over Utah in this trade. Did Utah even look at any offers? I have a feeling they heard this and just took it. I would have done DC2, expiring contracts and a pick or two for DWill.

PaceBalls
See what hording 1st round picks can do for you?

I'm sure that it's been said before, but in the span of 1 month...the Team went from perennial Playoff hopeful to being a Lottery team. This came TOTALLY out of left field. I'm not surprised that the Nets went to Plan B and offered up the same exact package to the Jazz for Deron over Melo ( who...as Hicks mentioned and I believe...doesn't make anyone better ).

2 days ago, I felt sorry for Nets fans and the FO for having to go through all that Melo-Drama while being used like "bait" to reel in the Knicks....but as many have said...DWill is way better then Melo and IMHO a far better consolation prize.

Cheers to Nets fans for being patient with the Nets FO....no fans deserve to go through the garbage that they went through for a 2nd Tier Franchise Player.

He might just bolt after three months. Those fans REALLY don't deserve to go through that.

vnzla81
No, definately not better than DWill but I meant to Utah couldn't turn around and use Danny to get better players than what Favors will ever end up being?

I think they could but it looks like they are going young and cheap.

pacer4ever
02-23-2011, 01:32 PM

that answer wont be know for 5+ years
It depends on what you think Favors will end up being. **** what if Favors some how becomes Dwight Howard defensivly at the 4.

Sparhawk
02-23-2011, 01:33 PM
The Jazz have always been a franchise to get the most out of PF for some reason. Maybe it's the point guard making the PF better, but I'm sure Favors will flourish there just as Milsap has and continues to do.

graphic-er

I'd give up DC, George. Keep Granger and Hibbert.

DC, George, 1st and some expirings would have been enough to get it done. Infact we could have taken Dwill and AK47/Milsap off their hands and put them under the cap.

We'd be such a good team.

vnzla81
I would also say: NY 0 NJ 1 Dwill>Melo

pacer4ever
New Jersey bent over Utah in this trade. Did Utah even look at any offers? I have a feeling they heard this and just took it. I would have done DC2, expiring contracts and a pick or two for DWill.

and the Jazz would have :wtf2 to Larry and took the Nets offer

vnzla81
02-23-2011, 01:34 PM
ChrisMannixSI RT @tribjazz Jazz's Williams is not happy with trade.

idioteque
02-23-2011, 01:35 PM
For those of you complaining about the Pacers not trying to get Deron, did you ever think there is probably no way he would have accepted a trade to Indiana? This is a guy who has already said he wanted to play in NY. He obviously wanted to play in a large market.

Utah has a glut of PFs now and are trying to rebuild while the Pacers have a bunch of expiring contracts and seem willing to trade draft picks. I smell a deal coming, and I'm guess it will involve McRoberts or Hansbrough, Rush, an expiring, and a pick for a Utah PF. If Utah wants more than that, the Pacers will wait for free agency. They aren't trading George, Granger, Collison, or Hibbert. They could trade Collison I guess but we just spent years trying to get a decent PG here and I don't see Larry getting rid of his this quickly. Plus, who would be our starter, Price?

vnzla81
02-23-2011, 01:35 PM
rosssiler The Jazz WILL NEVER find another star player who embraces Utah like that. Unless they draft Jimmer. Which seems to be what they'll do.

Jimmer and Hayward? :laugh::laugh:

15th parallel
02-23-2011, 01:36 PM
It doesnt matter what you think it matters what basketball GM's think. The guy just fetch Dwill he must be consider a good talent to the Jazz.

Well, not always true. Getting a star player via trade using an unproven player doesn't always mean the unproven player is projected to be good.

The most probable reason why the Jazz accepted it is because Favors is so young. He can further develop and may become a star, or may just ended up a bust just like what happened to Kwame Brown, a young prospect big back then who was projected to be good, but ended up a big bust.

Too bad Jerry Sloan isn't there to develop him.

pacer4ever
02-23-2011, 01:36 PM
I would also say: NY 0 NJ 1 Dwill>Melo

Not if Dwill bolts after next year

graphic-er
02-23-2011, 01:37 PM
For those of you complaining about the Pacers not trying to get Deron, did you ever think there is probably no way he would have accepted a trade to Indiana? This is a guy who has already said he wanted to play in NY. He obviously wanted to play in a large market.

Utah has a glut of PFs now and are trying to rebuild while the Pacers have a bunch of expiring contracts and seem willing to trade draft picks. I smell a deal coming, and I'm guess it will involve McRoberts, Rush, an expiring, and a pick for a Utah PF. If Utah wants more than that, the Pacers will wait for free agency. They aren't trading George, Granger, Collison, or Hibbert.

Larry needs to be fired if he can't pry away on of their Bigs.

PacerGuy
02-23-2011, 01:37 PM
How about Okur as a back up center for next season?

9 mil in cap space n/y for a taller Murphy?

Pass.

15th parallel
02-23-2011, 01:38 PM

Kinda expected that, given that NJ is a bottom-feeder team in a weak Eastern Conference, plus there are to good players around him except for Lopez.

CT Pacer
02-23-2011, 01:40 PM

Fired?? IDK about that. I'm sure he'll try like heck but there's no saying Utah will like what we have to offer.

Speed
02-23-2011, 01:41 PM

That sucks he didn't get to go exactly where he wanted, when he wanted and for how much he wanted.

I Love P
The Nets want Granger right?

15th parallel
Not if Dwill bolts after next year

Well they can trade him if that happens...he's a better trading chip to get better draft picks and/or potential star players. Or he can be used by the Nets as the cornerstone to attract good players this summer, if there is no lockout.

pacer4ever
02-23-2011, 01:42 PM
The Nets want Granger right?

They dont have the assets to get him now

I Love P
That sucks he didn't get to go exactly where he wanted, when he wanted and for how much he wanted.

Yea...I feel so bad for him. :(

idioteque
I don't think Williams will bolt. New Jersey will be good once they move to Brooklyn. They'll be an incredibly hot FA destination with an owner willing to spend whatever it takes to win.

BPump33
02-23-2011, 01:43 PM
ChrisMannixSI

Jazz phones "blowing up" with calls about Millsap, Jefferson, source says. Teams trying to see if they can get either on the cheap.

flox
02-23-2011, 01:43 PM

They scouted Favors heavily and was hoping he'd fall to them. I say with their scouts- I trust what they are doing.

With those saying Sloan- I feel like today's NBA doesn't have players that respond to old school coaching. It makes me sad, but I think Sloan won't be coming back. I think old school coaching is now extinct. Everything is about positivism and self esteem, which is sickening.

Speed
02-23-2011, 01:44 PM
ChrisMannixSI

Jazz phones "blowing up" with calls about Millsap, Jefferson, source says. Teams trying to see if they can get either on the cheap.

Everyone loves a fire sell.

flox
02-23-2011, 01:44 PM
I don't think Williams will bolt. New Jersey will be good once they move to Brooklyn. They'll be an incredibly hot FA destination with an owner willing to spend whatever it takes to win.

Agreed. Also I don't think Williams has a choice- unless he doesn't care about money, the Nets offer the best money for him, with a good location and possible good talent in the future.

CableKC
02-23-2011, 01:45 PM

Horrible grade for new jersey. A one year rental for a team that is not going to make the playlets and you gave up the entire reason why you tanked last year......................
Unless Favors immediately transformed into Blake Griffin V2 the second that he stepped onto the floor on the 1st day of training camp......then making a move for one of the best PGs in the league is a no-brainer. Favors simply didn't seem ready or at least won't be for another season or two.

It maybe a 1 year rental of DWill....but I get the impression that Prokhorov will do everything in his power to build the best Team that he can build in one season to try to convince DWill to stay for the long term.

flox
02-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Unless Favors immediately transformed into Blake Griffin V2 the second that he stepped onto the floor on the 1st day of training camp......then making a move for one of the best PGs in the league is a no-brainer. Favors simply didn't seem ready or at least won't be for another season or two.

It maybe a 1 year rental of DWill....but I get the impression that Prokhorov will do everything in his power to build the best Team that he can build in one season to try to convince DWill to stay for the long term.

For me this is beginning to prove that Prokhorov is a real force in this league.

Speed
02-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Anytime you have a chance to get a top 3-5 Point Guard in the game, you have to take it, I think.

It's a risk, but one worth taking.

michealwilliams4
02-23-2011, 01:47 PM
that answer wont be know for 5+ years
It depends on what you think Favors will end up being. **** what if Favors some how becomes Dwight Howard defensivly at the 4.

Hold on. We can't make a judgment call on Favors for five years? Is that because he's a top five pick? Look, it's possible Favors could get it to come together, but don't you kind of expect to see something from your top five pick by February? Jeez, five years!? What players have gone from looking like complete busts to franchise players in five years on the minutes Favors has gotten? I'm asking because even though DeMarcus Cousins is a blockhead, it didn't take him five years of ample playing time to look like he can play in the NBA.

k_lewis93
ChrisMannixSI

Make it happen larry!!!

Sparhawk

I'm pretty confident that DWill will stay with the Nets.

I do hope the leaves though and head back to the Western conference. That would make me feel so much better.

CableKC
For once, we have a Team Owner that actually didn't consult with the Star Player asking him if he would want to go to another Team.

Despite this coming out of left field....I applaud the Jazz Owner/FO for doing this ( as in doing what was right for the Business as opposed to what was good for the Star ).

Cherokee
02-23-2011, 01:48 PM

Are any of their bigs really available? If so, is one we would want one of them?

luis3ep
who would be a better fit for us, Jefferson or Millsap?

Speed
Not Bust to Franchise, but I can think of one that went 17th pick to Allstar in 5 years.

pacer4ever
02-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Hold on. We can't make a judgment call on Favors for five years? Is that because he's a top five pick? Look, it's possible Favors could get it to come together, but don't you kind of expect to see something from your top five pick by February? Jeez, five years!? What players have gone from looking like complete busts to franchise players in five years on the minutes Favors has gotten? I'm asking because even though DeMarcus Cousins is a blockhead, it didn't take him five years of ample playing time to look like he can play in the NBA.

He was pick as a project no one expected him to do anything this year. Most experts said it could take 3 years to see production. But has really high up side. That why I didnt like the pick for them I thought they should have got Cousins.

graphic-er
02-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Would you give up Tyler, 1st and Dunleavy/ford for Paul Milsap?

Speed
Steve Nash, Chauncy Billups had huge improvement in 5 years. Kobe too, but over a shorter time period. Kevin Garnett too, if I remember right.

HickeyS2000

I agree with pacer4ever. Favors won't hit his ceiling for at least 5 years. You will definitely know what your getting from him well before that, but right now no one knows. He has a TON of potential.

pacer4ever
02-23-2011, 01:51 PM

I dont want Jefferson. They would both be a good fit offensivly but Jefferson is terrible defensivly

HickeyS2000

Millsap x 100

BillS

You really think Utah would take that? Neither Dun or Ford are any value to Utah in the mode they've clearly gone in.

pacer4ever
02-23-2011, 01:52 PM

Proably I would have to thank about it.

idioteque

Definitely. Utah would want a better player than Tyler though.

JB24

Without blinking. I'd toss in Rush and take on a contract they didn't want as well (for LT purposes).

graphic-er
You really think Utah would take that? Neither Dun or Ford are any value to Utah in the mode they've clearly gone in.

It seems to me they are in Rebuild mode now and over the cap still. SO expiring contracts are not valuable for teams that are rebuilding?

Mackey_Rose
02-23-2011, 01:53 PM

I'd definitely do that deal, but I would feel better about our 1st and Dunleavy for Wallace.

idioteque
02-23-2011, 01:53 PM

They're rebuilding right? How is one of either Dun or Ford not valuable to them?

graphic-er
02-23-2011, 01:54 PM
Wallace over Milsap? I dunno man, thats a tough one. Wallace annoys me with is mouth guard.

idioteque
02-23-2011, 01:54 PM
Wallace is not a PF is he?

graphic-er
02-23-2011, 01:55 PM
Wallace is not a PF is he?

He can play both SF and PF. He plays inside pretty well.

pacer4ever
02-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Wallace over Milsap? I dunno man, thats a tough one. Wallace annoys me with is mouth guard.

Wallace is a 3

pacer4ever
02-23-2011, 01:56 PM
He can play both SF and PF. He plays inside pretty well.

if you want him to crash and burn sure he can

graphic-er
02-23-2011, 01:57 PM
if you want him to crash and burn sure he can

WHATEVER!

Major Cold
02-23-2011, 01:58 PM

I think you are over reacting to all of this.

pacer4ever
02-23-2011, 01:59 PM
WHATEVER!

He is injury prone playing him at the 4 permentaly will just get him hurt

flox
02-23-2011, 02:00 PM
I understand why we want Wallace. Do you guys want to play smallball? I LOVE SMALLBALL.

Wallace can also shoot the three! He can be a stretch four!

graphic-er
I understand why we want Wallace. Do you guys want to play smallball? I LOVE SMALLBALL.

Milsap is kinda small too, I'd take Milsap though.

Hicks

Probably.

Hicks
02-23-2011, 02:01 PM

Sure it does. Money.

Doddage
02-23-2011, 02:07 PM
People are ****ing delusional around here. What kind of deals can we get with our assets? Sorry, but expiring contracts aren't that valuable right now. And we're NOT in the position to give up our young players like Hibbert and George. Some think we can make these kinds of blockbuster deals when in reality we have NOTHING to offer. We're lucky enough that we were able to get DC last year.

Cherokee
02-23-2011, 02:09 PM
I'd like to see us get Josh Smith, if that is at all possible.

TheDon
02-23-2011, 02:11 PM

I would be sad to see Tyler go but I would gladly help Dunleavy pack his bags and give him a ride to the airport and the first rounder wouldn't bother me.

So yes, yes I would in a hot minute.

xBulletproof
02-23-2011, 02:12 PM
Why are people acting like we had a better offer to make for Deron? I'd guess Favors is much more highly thought of in NBA circles than on this message board. People are so locked into the 'now' that they only see a guy averaging 6 points and 5 boards per game. Just act like he'll never improve.

Favors has a chance to be a serious force in this league. A serious force at PF. Hard to find.

PaceBalls
02-23-2011, 02:13 PM
I wouldn't want to give up Tyler. I thought our need was to get another big man especially with Jeff and Josh being question marks for next season.

pacergod2
02-23-2011, 02:13 PM

Wait... so are you surprised that vnzla81 is overreacting to something?

BillS
02-23-2011, 02:15 PM
It seems to me they are in Rebuild mode now and over the cap still. SO expiring contracts are not valuable for teams that are rebuilding?

:blush: forgot the expiring quality...

McKeyFan
02-23-2011, 02:17 PM
At the current moment, they are able to stretch the floor.

15th parallel
02-23-2011, 02:19 PM
Why no love for Al Jefferson? Before, many here would like to trade Granger for him.

We need another C in our team. Al Jeff can be a C.

PacerGuy
02-23-2011, 02:20 PM

Not sure I would.
I love what Tyler brings. His per 32 are less, but not substantially so compared to Milsap. Both are not that tall, so with either I'd like to pair them w/ a bigger player. Milsap is also not the ptysical presence (heigth/length) that we all have said we want next to Roy. That is why I was taken aback by the Landry rumors.

The bottom line question is:
-How much BETTER are we after this deal?
-Is Milsap 5 mil & a 1st rd pick better then where Tyler can/ will be?

If the answer is not over-whelming one way over the other, then I pass.

McKeyFan
02-23-2011, 02:23 PM
Or maybe its the highest level of talent the Utah GM felt he could get for a guy about to leave the team as a free agent.

Trader Joe
02-23-2011, 02:23 PM

That's my guess. Especially because they said he had a conversation with the GM pretty much the day before he retired and left looking disgruntled.

15th parallel
02-23-2011, 02:24 PM
Not sure I would.
I love what Tyler brings. His per 32 are less, but not substantially so compared to Milsap. Both are not that tall, so with either I'd like to pair them w/ a bigger player. Milsap is also not the ptysical presence (heigth/length) that we all have said we want next to Roy. That is why I was taken aback by the Landry rumors.

The bottom line question is:
-How much BETTER are we after this deal?
-Is Milsap 5 mil & a 1st rd pick better then where Tyler can/ will be?

If the answer is not over-whelming one way over the other, then I pass.

This. Milsap is a small PF, so he'll just be a moderate improvement over Tyler. So why not go with Tyler for now, who is on a rookie contract right now? We can go for Milsap but we shouldn't use either Tyler or Josh as part of the deal, otherwise it'll just be a cycle. We should unload our current wing lineup for a big.

McKeyFan
02-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Everything is about positivism and self esteem, which is sickening.
That's enough to turn your sideburns gray.

Trader Joe
02-23-2011, 02:30 PM

Vnzla overreact? You must be joking.

flox
02-23-2011, 02:37 PM
That's enough to turn your sideburns gray.

Or worse, black.

McKeyFan
02-23-2011, 02:39 PM
At the current moment, they are able to stretch the floor.
Oops. Golden State can stretch the floor now.

The Nets have DWill, Lopez and better defense.

:D

Hibbert
02-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Some people on here need to sit down and relax. Seriously, why is everyone getting so ****ty cause the Pacers arent making a trade? I know its exciting and you see other teams getting key players but look what the teams getting the stars are having to give up. Right now getting those stars looks good on paper but its the Jazz and the Nuggets that will win these trades given time. Favors, Harris, 2 1st rd. picks, and 3m? And Felton, Chandler, Gallinari, Mozgov, a 1st, 2 2nds, and 3m? Come on now, Larry knows what the hell he is doing, he said it would be a 3 year process and its currently the 3rd year and we are holding onto a playoff spot.

We have many very young very good assets that Im sure every team would love to have but just cause we are not making a move isnt the end of the world and its probably the smart thing to do. Larry said he would not make a big type trade unless he was blown away by it and thats how it should be. I can see us trading an expiring for a decent role player or something like that but why break up this team we have been building successfully for years for when all it would/could do is set us back again? What would you all be complaining about than?

righteouscool
02-23-2011, 02:59 PM

Have you looked at the Nets roster lately?

vnzla81
02-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Vnzla overreact? You must be joking.

Says the guy who writes in huge letters........

Trader Joe
02-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Says the guy who writes in huge letters........

Is this better?

dohman
02-23-2011, 03:17 PM
If the nets can make a splash in free agency and get a player like david west and a few role players they will be looking good next season. If they cannot then the entire trade is useless becaue they are renting a player who is just going to leave after next season.

I hope all that tanking isnt for nothing.

Jared Sullinger
02-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Reports are that Deron Williams is "livid" about the trade and refuses to board the plane to New Jersey. What a diva.

Deron Williams is livid about the trade and has reportedly refused to board a plane bound for New Jersey. Sadly, he will have to accept his fate - trade is finalized.

Jared Sullinger
02-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Have you looked at the Nets roster lately?

Agreed. I think they'll still be pretty bad. Williams, an overrated Lopez and not much else. If Lopez and Williams develop chemistry in a hurry, I could see them becoming average.

Shade
02-23-2011, 03:35 PM
This leads me to wonder if the rumors are true and Deron is a bit of a head case.

pacer4ever
02-23-2011, 03:37 PM
This leads me to wonder if the rumors are true and Deron is a bit of a head case.

not a headcase but he is a diva and would have bolted Utah ater next season smart move by the Jazz

Jared Sullinger
02-23-2011, 03:38 PM
In my opinion, this was a pretty good move for Utah. Given all of the talks of Deron moving on at the end of next season, to pull the trigger early and land the current #3 overall pick, the Nets' likely lottery pick (currently the sixth worst record in the league) and another potential mid-to-low lottery pick in Golden State's 2012 1st (top-seven protected)─looks like a pretty good haul to me.

CableKC
02-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Reports are that Deron Williams is "livid" about the trade and refuses to board the plane to New Jersey. What a diva.
They should just leave him on the tarmac at the airport in the cold.

bulldog
02-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Not sure this deal will work out for the Nets, that's completely dependent on whether Deron resigns.

But it seems pretty clear to me that compared to the Melo trade that was floated, they got a better player for less with this trade.

dohman
02-23-2011, 03:52 PM
Until recently with the sloan ordeal when has deron williams been a diva? We do not even really know what happened there. Just speculation.

I do not blame him one bit for wanting to go to new jersey. I wouldnt want to go there either. From a playoff team over the past few years to a team that has been in the lottery. I would be pretty livid about it as well.

McKeyFan
02-23-2011, 03:55 PM
I do not blame him one bit for wanting to go to new jersey. I wouldnt want to go there either.
They are the Garden State, so there's that.

xBulletproof
02-23-2011, 03:58 PM
Until recently with the sloan ordeal when has deron williams been a diva? We do not even really know what happened there. Just speculation.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/urE_fCp7e5s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PaceBalls
I bet Jerry Sloan is back coaching the Jazz within another week.

Trophy
The Jazz have suddenly crashed.

ilive4sports
Well I guess that Williams won't be signing an extension in NJ if he doesn't want to even board the plane to get there.

Haywoode Workman
02-23-2011, 04:02 PM

bad news? i have lower level tickets for that game because i love deron williams.

and his haircut.

NapTonius Monk
02-23-2011, 04:03 PM
Please go for Jefferson!! Make it happen Larry!
:puke:

pacer4ever
02-23-2011, 04:04 PM
:puke:

Watching him playing with hibbert on defense would make me :puke:

Unclebuck
02-23-2011, 04:09 PM
I bet Jerry Sloan is back coaching the Jazz within another week.

What do you want to bet

Trophy
02-23-2011, 04:11 PM
The Nets still need more if they want to get into the playoffs.

Outside of Deron Williams, they really have nothing.

Brook Lopez is not an ideal center.

They got rid of a young PF with potential.

PaceBalls
02-23-2011, 04:12 PM
What do you want to bet

hmmm... I have bad odds on pure speculation of course. Probably astronomical odds. But as far as baseless conspiracy theories go, it's not too bad eh?

PacerGuy
02-23-2011, 04:16 PM
The Nets still need more if they want to get into the playoffs.

Outside of Deron Williams, they really have nothing.

Brook Lopez is not an ideal center.

They got rid of a young PF with potential.

I agree, but read what Ford had to say in his chat:

Stephen Howard (Columbus, Ohio)

How good can the Nets be next season. 42-40 or better?

Chad Ford (1:10 PM)

I think somewhere between 44-48 wins with the current roster. Maybe a little more.

:eek:
Really????
They need ALOT more IMO to get to near there.
A PG needs someone to pass to to get an assist, correct?

NapTonius Monk
02-23-2011, 04:18 PM
Go get Millsap LarryWhy is the assumption that Milsap becomes available? He's one I'd think they keep.

Trophy
02-23-2011, 04:20 PM
I agree, but read what Ford had to say in his chat:

:eek:
Really????
They need ALOT more IMO to get to near there.
A PG needs someone to pass to to get an assist, correct?

Deron Williams had a lot more with the Jazz to make them a good team than he does with the Nets currently.

Even this season, the Jazz have struggled because they didn't have another star player which was Boozer last year or even a center and a few good wings to pass to.

As far as it effecting us, I think we're still the better team and we're probably gonna compete more.

Maybe they'll get 38 or 40 wins next season, but Deron Williams isn't gonna turn them into an Eastern Conference contender.

NapTonius Monk
02-23-2011, 04:44 PM
Larry needs to be fired if he can't pry away on of their Bigs.:rolleyes: http://rlv.zcache.com/two_to_tango_shirt-p235740895203951099trlf_400.jpg

NapTonius Monk
02-23-2011, 05:08 PM
The Nets want Granger right?For Harris and Favors maybe. Not for DWill.

cdash
02-23-2011, 05:09 PM
This trade could really hurt us. Besides another Eastern Conference team improving, New Jersey is one of the few teams besides us with cap space this summer. Now that they have traded Favors, guess what they need? A power forward. I just read something on ESPN saying their top target could be David West (who is also likely to be our top target). Either way, it's very possible (probable even) that the two of us competing for positions of need will drive the price up for these guys. I'm sure their agents are ready to make us bid against one another.

NapTonius Monk
02-23-2011, 05:22 PM
:2tup:

vnzla81
02-23-2011, 05:27 PM
This trade could really hurt us. Besides another Eastern Conference team improving, New Jersey is one of the few teams besides us with cap space this summer. Now that they have traded Favors, guess what they need? A power forward. I just read something on ESPN saying their top target could be David West (who is also likely to be our top target). Either way, it's very possible (probable even) that the two of us competing for positions of need will drive the price up for these guys. I'm sure their agents are ready to make us bid against one another.

This, here is the reason why I'm hoping they make a trade for a huge piece before the trade deadline.

IndySDExport
02-23-2011, 05:44 PM

I don't know why Deron is so surprised.

It's widely assumed he forced Jerry Sloan out. The very next week his people start spreading rumors that he's heading to New York as soon as his contract is up regardless. I'd be a little bitter too if I was Utah. Sending him to a bottom feeder with no chance of the playoffs this year and right before the CBA seems pretty karmic.

Sometimes you reap what you sew.

PR07
02-23-2011, 06:44 PM
I really like this trade for Utah. Even if Favors is a complete bust, they should be able to get at least one other solid player with the other draft picks, and Devin Harris is like the "Danny Granger" of PG's, not quite elite, but he's still a really good player and under control for a year longer than DWill.

daschysta
02-23-2011, 06:47 PM
Calm down guys, the fact that this deal was done means that darren was unhappy and was clearly going to leave...

He was already talkign about joining a contender in prior reports. I doubt he stays with the nets (or us) if were worse than his former jazz team.

I'm sure you all would be so happy if we gave away PG and danny only to have deron williams leave after a year...

oxxo
02-23-2011, 07:03 PM
It seemed pretty obvious Deron was planning on leaving Utah... and they manage to get Harris, Favors, and 2 1sts? Awesome deal for them. Nets are just another case of antsy GMs making a deal for the sake of making a deal.

Scot Pollard
02-23-2011, 07:18 PM
The NBA is turning into a ****ing circus.

Not necessarily directed towards Deron Williams, but players need to shut their ****ing traps and play where ever the hell they go.

Kevin Durant plays in freakin Oklahoma and signed his extension with no problem.

He's a competitor not a follower.

dohman
02-23-2011, 07:31 PM
You have to be kidding me. I just got free tickets to tonights game. Dallas vs Denver :(

travmil
02-23-2011, 08:40 PM
I am late to this party I know and I don't have time to dig through 10 pages so forgive me if this has already been discussed.

In my opinion, this deal is going to be the straw that breaks the camels back when it comes to the stars forcing their way to new teams. Utah knew they had zero shot at retaining Williams when his deal is up so they did the only thing they could do to make sure they got what they wanted. They just refused to let it play out the way Denver did with Anthony, or to lose their star for nothing the way Cleveland and Toronto did. This is a shame. The owners of small market teams are going to make absolutely sure that after the looming lockout, there is SOME way to restrict player movement. The small market franchises don't operate so they can look like the Washington Generals and the big market temas can look like the Harlem Globetrotters.

travmil
02-24-2011, 12:36 PM
Has anyone heard the rumor Stein put out there about the Mavs being royally PO'd about this deal? Apparently they were trying to land Harris so they could flip him with a package to Utah for Williams. Utah didnt like the package Dallas was talking about so they started talking to the Nets themselves and got something they liked, cutting Dallas out of the deal. If that's true, what on Earth does Dallas have to be mad about? Is it even legal for Dallas and Utah to discuss a deal revolving a player that isn't on either roster? Maybe someone more versed in the CBA can answer that one.

BillS
02-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Has anyone heard the rumor Stein put out there about the Mavs being royally PO'd about this deal? Apparently they were trying to land Harris so they could flip him with a package to Utah for Williams. Utah didnt like the package Dallas was talking about so they started talking to the Nets themselves and got something they liked, cutting Dallas out of the deal. If that's true, what on Earth does Dallas have to be mad about? Is it even legal for Dallas and Utah to discuss a deal revolving a player that isn't on either roster? Maybe someone more versed in the CBA can answer that one.

I think team management can discuss whatever they want with one another. Making it work has to happen in the CBA, but there's nothing restricting what they can try to set up beforehand.

BillS
02-24-2011, 12:49 PM
The small market franchises don't operate so they can look like the Washington Generals and the big market temas can look like the Harlem Globetrotters.

Yeah, but if the league overall thinks it can make more money through this kind of thing, there will be plenty of people clamoring for it. This season's ratings are taken as proof that the general public LOVES a few superteams with hyped players, and who are we to put some vague notion of "competition" and "sports" in the way?