PDA

View Full Version : 10 Teams Most Likely to Contract

02-23-2011, 10:42 AM
If the NBA were to contract teams, what 10 teams would most likely contract? I found a slideshow on the ever-credible BleacherReport (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/499215-top-10-nba-teams-to-consider-for-contraction#page/1) that listed the following ten teams:

10. Philadelphia 76ers
09. L.A. Clippers
08. Cleveland Cavaliers
07. Toronto Raptors
06. Atlanta Hawks
05. Charlotte Bobcats
04. New Orleans Hornets
03. Minnesota Timberwolves
02. Sacramento Kings
01. Memphis Grizzlies

The reason I am posting this thread is simple. First, I believe the NBA needs a contraction. I also believe the NBA needs to overhaul it's salary cap structure and include benefits like a franchise tag.

With that being said, what are the 10 teams most likely to contract?

LetsTalkPacers
02-23-2011, 10:46 AM
I think maybe 4 teams need to contract, 10 is way too much. I would say New Orleans, Toronto, Sacramento, and Charlotte. Either those or the last 4 teams to enter the NBA.

purdue101
02-23-2011, 10:50 AM
I highly doubt Toronto contracts. It is one of the top 5 largest NBA cities, has an avid fan base, and represents the NBA as an international league, which we all know Stern is in favor of.

Kegboy
02-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Before this turns into a 5-pager, let me simply say this.

There is not going to be any contraction. For any team to contract, the owners would have to buy them out, at a cost of $10-$15M per owner. As long as there are cities like Kansas City ready and willing to fork over hundreds of millions for a team, that is just not going to happen.

02-23-2011, 10:54 AM
You don't think that 10 million per owner wouldn't turn into revenue? How much is 1 star worth?

02-23-2011, 10:56 AM
I think maybe 4 teams need to contract, 10 is way too much. I would say New Orleans, Toronto, Sacramento, and Charlotte. Either those or the last 4 teams to enter the NBA.

Obviously 10 won't contract. The question is, "What ten teams would be most likely be considered in a contraction?"

McKeyFan
02-23-2011, 10:57 AM
What does it mean to "contract" ?

gummy
02-23-2011, 11:04 AM
It refers to the league getting smaller overall - losing teams.

"10 teams most likely to contract" is horribly phrased, but they are basically saying if the league were to contract, which teams would we be most likely to lose?

McKeyFan
02-23-2011, 11:08 AM
It refers to the league getting smaller overall - losing teams.

"10 teams most likely to contract" is horribly phrased, but they are basically saying if the league were to contract, which teams would we be most likely to lose?
Downsize?

Shrink?

I think the lawyers are issuing the press releases.

Unclebuck
02-23-2011, 11:08 AM
There won't be any

gummy
02-23-2011, 11:14 AM
This is just like the idea of reducing the number of games played during the regular season. There are good reasons to do it but at the end of the day nobody in the system wants to endure much short-term pain for long-term gain. Nobody wants to be on the outside of $$$ looking in.

I'd love to see the NBA with about 25 teams playing a 60 game regular season. A pipe dream.

Brad8888
02-23-2011, 11:17 AM
I don't think that any contraction will be very deep.

Of the teams listed, only Memphis, Minnesota, Charlotte and New Orleans should be under any consideration for contraction. The other 6 don't even belong on the list. 10 teams is way too many to begin with.

Cleveland is borderline even though they have a bleak foreseeable future at this point. Sacramento is also borderline, but they obviously have multiple locations that they could be moved to instead of being contracted.

Others to add for consideration in my view would be Detroit, Milwaukee, Golden State, and unfortunately our Pacers, though I don't feel as bleak about the Pacers future as I have for the last several years at this point.

naptownmenace
02-23-2011, 11:50 AM
I don't think the NBA will contract any teams. They are more likely to allow one or two teams to move to another city.

Teams in danger are, in no particular order:

Detroit
New Orleans
Memphis
Atlanta
Indiana
Philadelphia
Sacramento
Minnesota
Milwaukee
Charlotte

Taterhead
02-23-2011, 12:07 PM
I don't see contraction as a real possibility either. I do think the league wants to eventually move a few small market teams to big markets overseas, but that's another issue.

Roaming Gnome
02-23-2011, 01:19 PM
I don't know for sure, but I'd imagine the players union probably has a dog in any talk of contraction. They'd be losing around 15 player related jobs for every team that went bye bye.

Swish
02-23-2011, 03:27 PM
Any list of teams most likely to be contracted that doesn't have INDIANA scrawled on it is an incomplete list.

Eleazar
02-23-2011, 04:04 PM
Any list of teams most likely to be contracted that doesn't have INDIANA scrawled on it is an incomplete list.

Why?

Trophy
02-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Woah the Hawks? 76ers? Clippers? Cavaliers?

This is definitely not going to happen.

I don't see any teams contracting, but maybe 1 or 2 teams may move their franchise to another city.

My guess is definitely the Kings and possibly the Hornets.

I'm glad we're good.

grace
02-23-2011, 06:57 PM

Why?

Because Herb Simon is the only one in his family that wants to keep the team? :shrug:

Sandman21
02-23-2011, 07:53 PM
Because Herb Simon is the only one in his family that wants to keep the team? :shrug:

I think Bird would put together an ownership group to keep the team in Indiana before Simon would sell it to someone who might not.

Scot Pollard
02-23-2011, 10:53 PM

if i were you id be questioning who would take over your teams ownership

herb kohl is probably going to look to sell the bucks to anyone and the league might approve because of that dump arena the bucks play in

herbs nephew manages the the simon business and it might be up in the air if he wants to take over the pacers ownership from his uncle and his late father

i think hes been to games

if not theres definitely someone who will purchase the team and keep them as is

you never see a new owner purchasing a team and then moving them for no reason and theres no reason for the pacers to go anywhere else

thats why people are denied purchasing teams if they think they can move them where ever they please for no reason

for now the simons have done well managing this team

so you know think about what you say

pacer4ever
02-23-2011, 11:19 PM
Clippers??? dont they sell out every game? well then maye we could get EJ

Scot Pollard
02-23-2011, 11:23 PM

:wtf:

you better be joking or if you really know this team

Scot Pollard
02-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Clippers??? dont they sell out every game? well then maye we could get EJ

i dont like this bleacher report ****

its like they have the most uneducated nba people writing irrelevant **** up

id say the kings, hornets, grizzlies, and bobcats MAYBE can be discussed as contracting but the league hasnt even had that idea discussed

the nhl is in the worst shape ive ever seen so if theres any league that will contract teams its going to be the nhl and they should probably cut 6 or move them to canada

the kings are probably going to relocate and everyone else seems to be good in their location