PDA

View Full Version : So I guess Danny's never going to work for the Indiana Department of Tourism.....

MagicRat
02-23-2011, 10:30 AM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20110223/SPORTS04/102230342/Notebook-Granger-doesn-t-like-new-free-agent-trend?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|IndyStar.com|s (http://www.indystar.com/article/20110223/SPORTS04/102230342/Notebook-Granger-doesn-t-like-new-free-agent-trend?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CIndyStar.com %7Cs)

Granger doesn't like new free agent trend

Written by
Mike Wells (mike.wells@indystar.com)

WASHINGTON -- Indiana Pacers swingman Danny Granger sees the trend around the NBA.
Major-market city. All-Star player. The two combine to make that NBA team a possible title contender.
Granger doesn't like that trend because he said that hurts small-market teams like the Pacers.

The latest move came when the New York Knicks acquired forward Carmelo Anthony to go with another All-Star, Amare Stoudemire.

"They're definitely better," Granger said. "Obviously I don't like it because we have to play against them three more times."
Granger compared the move to LeBron James and Chris Bosh joining Dwyane Wade in Miami. The Heat have the third-best record in the league.

"They're all taking a page out of Miami's book," Granger said. "I don't think it's good for the league.
"It hurts a team like us tremendously if everybody can pick where they want to go. No chance at all for us. We need to figure out a way to have teams more evenly matched."

The Pacers can spend big on free agents this summer if they don't pull a big deal before Thursday's trade deadline.

Indianapolis doesn't have the bright lights of New York, the beaches of Miami or the warm weather of Los Angeles to entice free agents.

"Who would want to come here as a free agent?" Granger asked. "Any small-market team will have that problem. If the trend is to go to the better city, you got teams like us, Milwaukee and Minnesota who don't have a shot."

McKeyFan
02-23-2011, 10:34 AM
Don't know if anyone's used this phrase before, but . . .

. . . it is what it is.

gummy
02-23-2011, 10:42 AM
*sigh*

While I think he's generally right here, there is such a thing as overstating the case (and self-fulfilling prophesies). Who WOULD want to come here when nobody who is already here seems to think anyone would want to? What kind of environment is that?

From a competitive standpoint I'm a little peeved at the leader of my team making a public statement which basically boils down to "We're out of the running before we even get started." As I said, I generally agree with the point but it feels like he's sidling up sideways to a comfortable excuse for losing. Yes, it's harder for small market teams. Yes, the trend is super teams in the bigger cities. But it's not impossible for us to compete at a high level, we've done it before and will do so again.

There's no "Pacers Pride" in this. :(

Trader Joe
02-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Does anyone honestly disagree with him?

Mackey_Rose
02-23-2011, 10:53 AM

Not at all.

But I don't know why it needed to be said.

It just comes off as petty and whiny to me.

Trader Joe
02-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Well if he's supporting wording in the CBA that helps to strengthen small market teams, I'm glad he said it.

Eindar
02-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Well, to me this shows how frustrated Danny is. His statement runs contrary to what is in the best interest of the NBAPA, because every change I can think of that benefits the small-market teams will ultimately hurt player salaries.

People may not like to hear it, but it's the truth. Danny also mentioned other cities, so it's not like he was taking a shot at Indianapolis specifically, just saying that cold-weather, small-market teams can't bring in free agents like other cities.

graphic-er
02-23-2011, 11:22 AM
Danny has gone on record saying that the Players may need to accept less money for the league to succeed and he is fine with it. I think he is very much in support of the small market teams, and namely the Pacers. Its in his best interest to do so.

To me its not a problem of FA's picking warm weather cities or bigger markets, the problem is that those teams have no real restriction on how much money they can spend. The luxury tax does not mean that much in those markets.

Hicks
02-23-2011, 11:27 AM

Kind of like when you repeatedly criticize Danny in game threads..... :-p

LA_Confidential
02-23-2011, 11:28 AM
This just tells me that Danny will be a Pacer for life.

I'm happy for the Heat, Knicks and Bulls. The East is shaping up to look more like it did in the 90's. Guess who else was relevant in the 90's, You guessed it, The Pacers. We are going to be the Nightmare team of the East.

Boston is old with no contingency plan for the future and we'll eventually pass the Hawks. Who knows what will happen in Orlando. Will Dwight stay or leave? We will be a top 3-5 team in the East, Battling Chicago for Division Championships.

Danny is the man. He's Our Man.

DC, PG, Danny,Tyler and Roy are the Foundation.

PacerGuy
02-23-2011, 11:28 AM
The message is spot on, his wording is not.
This is wht he in in the NBA & not PR.
IMO I do not think he meant disrespect to Indy, he was just trying to convey a point. I bet if you asked Danny the plusses of Indy, he would have many great things - they are just not the things that help him make his point in this story.

PacerGuy
02-23-2011, 11:31 AM

Don't know if anyone's used this phrase before, but . . .

. . . it is what it is.

Brad8888
02-23-2011, 11:32 AM
Awesome thread title!

Unfortunately, Danny is just speaking the truth. For teams like those he mentioned, the only shot is if there are no other more desireable spots open in more desireable cities due to whatever new structure might be in place under a new CBA.

It is refreshing to see him speak truths that go against the interests of the players union, as he has also done in the past, and speaks volumes about his character that he is willing to do so in public.

Mackey_Rose
02-23-2011, 11:34 AM

I just get annoyed that he can go an entire game without doing anything, and no one will say anything. Then he will hit a couple shots and everybody slobbers over him again.

I simply think there is more to basketball than how many points somebody scores per game, but I don't think the majority of posters here do, and I don't think Danny does either.

Taterhead
02-23-2011, 11:34 AM

I do.

Be a man and go out there and try to beat them. I guarantee you Reggie Miller would have had that mind set. Hell it would of been a step down for him, he had to battle the Bulls of the mid 90's.

Put your nose to the grindstone Danny and show some heart.

Trader Joe
02-23-2011, 11:37 AM
I do.

Be a man and go out there and try to beat them. I guarantee you Reggie Miller would have had that mind set. Hell it would of been a step down for him, he had to battle the Bulls of the mid 90's.

Put your nose to the grindstone Danny and show some heart.

What? All he's saying is Indiana won't ever be able to lure in a great, big time free agent. What does that have to do with heart?

Taterhead
02-23-2011, 11:41 AM
What? All he's saying is Indiana won't ever be able to lure in a great, big time free agent. What does that have to do with heart?

Thats all he said? He said it wasn't fair, we can't compete and have no chance.

"It hurts a team like us tremendously if everybody can pick where they want to go. No chance at all for us. We need to figure out a way to have teams more evenly matched." -Danny Granger

Way to lead.

joeyd
02-23-2011, 11:43 AM
I simply think there is more to basketball than how many points somebody scores per game...

Sorry, but that same sentiment doesn't seem to ring true across the board. For reference, one need only consider your voluminous previous posts regarding Foster.

oxxo
02-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Just another reason I like him in a Pacers uniform. I honestly don't get why so many people like to bash him now. He's well worth his salary (he's NOT a max contract) and he wants to be here. That's very rare.

joeyd
02-23-2011, 11:47 AM

I guess I do, to some extent. Some players have mentioned that they can blend in with the crowds and actually enjoy going out to places here, rather than being mobbed in places like L.A. and Miami. Even the lesser-knowns on a team get mobbed in the bigger markets. Unless you have a superstar's ego to go along with the superstar ability, I think there are plenty of folks that might like the things that go along with being in a smaller market.

Eindar
02-23-2011, 11:50 AM
Danny has gone on record saying that the Players may need to accept less money for the league to succeed and he is fine with it. I think he is very much in support of the small market teams, and namely the Pacers. Its in his best interest to do so.

To me its not a problem of FA's picking warm weather cities or bigger markets, the problem is that those teams have no real restriction on how much money they can spend. The luxury tax does not mean that much in those markets.

I disagree. There's nothing keeping Indiana from signing 3 max-contract players. The salary cap as constructed allows that. In fact, that salary cap has nothing to do with players going to a big market. I think it has everything to do with endorsements, as well as playing on a bigger stage. Playing in NY or LA makes you much more likely to get face time on prime-time TV, which leads to other things. Playing in MIA allows you to skip the state tax on your income, and also allows you to live in Miami as a young man.

None of these plusses has anything to do with the salary cap, or even the luxury tax. The only advantage a big market team has in that regards is that its revenue stream makes the team far less worried about the luxury tax. That allows them to sign 3 max contract players, and still use their MLE and veteran's exception every time, and also snag the best guy available at that price. In and interesting turn of events, even if Miami, NY, or LA didn't have a "Big 3", they'd still have an advantage in terms of which team gets the player for the same price.

I think it would take drastic changes to the next CBA to "level the field", so to speak. My hope is that a team like the Pacers, Wolves, or Bucks go from a situation where they have to win the lottery in a year with a marquee player, and then have to pray they don't leave when that rookie deal is up, to a situation where they can build creatively and be a legit underdog for a title. As it currently sits, the chances of having a realistic shot at a title without lucking out in the draft are very, very slim.

Mackey_Rose
02-23-2011, 11:52 AM
Sorry, but that same sentiment doesn't seem to ring true across the board. For reference, one need only consider your voluminous previous posts regarding Foster.

You love Foster, that's fine. He has been a good soldier here in Indiana.

My dislike for Foster has nothing to do with how he scores. It has everything to do with how his age prevents him from fitting into our team going forward.

Pacers4Life
02-23-2011, 11:59 AM
I just get annoyed that he can go an entire game without doing anything, and no one will say anything. Then he will hit a couple shots and everybody slobbers over him again.

I simply think there is more to basketball than how many points somebody scores per game, but I don't think the majority of posters here do, and I don't think Danny does either.

he had a bad game last night according to you then.. which i do not think he did. I think hes been a different player under Vogel and i love it

*My point in a nutshell: 3rd quarter.. Danny pulling up for his standard in transition, step into his shot 3 pointer.. and mid jump he bails and dishes down to Hibbert for the And 1. He never would have done that 2 months ago

naptownmenace
02-23-2011, 12:09 PM
I agree with Danny. However, I'm going to look at this from another angle.

Since NY, Miami, Chicago, and Boston have amassed so much talent, they will not have the cap space in the future or the desire to pursue an All-Star free agent. If the Pacers, Bucks, Hornets, or Pistons are the only teams offering max contracts... good free agents (at least the ones concerned with getting the most money) will sign with them.

Is NY, Miami, or Chicago going to go after David West or Nene this summer if they opt out and become Free Agents? I seriously doubt it considering they will be over the cap (most likely) when the new CBA is created. Also, with Amare, Bosh, and Boozer + Noah already in their collective folds, why would they pursue them?

This is why it is very important for the Pacers to make the playoffs this season and make their presence felt while they are there. The entire league - players and their agents in particular - will be watching. If they look like an up and coming perennial playoff team, that will certainly help their case when the Free Agent negotiating period begins.

Taterhead
02-23-2011, 12:26 PM
he had a bad game last night according to you then.. which i do not think he did. I think hes been a different player under Vogel and i love it

*My point in a nutshell: 3rd quarter.. Danny pulling up for his standard in transition, step into his shot 3 pointer.. and mid jump he bails and dishes down to Hibbert for the And 1. He never would have done that 2 months ago

It doesn't matter that much unless you do it consistently.

Do you think Danny does that consistently? I don't think he does. He does it every once in awhile, and he always has.

Dr. Hibbert
02-23-2011, 12:32 PM
The message is spot on, his wording is not

This x1,000

Taterhead
02-23-2011, 12:34 PM
I agree with Danny. However, I'm going to look at this from another angle.

Since NY, Miami, Chicago, and Boston have amassed so much talent, they will not have the cap space in the future or the desire to pursue an All-Star free agent. If the Pacers, Bucks, Hornets, or Pistons are the only teams offering max contracts... good free agents (at least the ones concerned with getting the most money) will sign with them.

Is NY, Miami, or Chicago going to go after David West or Nene this summer if they opt out and become Free Agents? I seriously doubt it considering they will be over the cap (most likely) when the new CBA is created. Also, with Amare, Bosh, and Boozer + Noah already in their collective folds, why would they pursue them?

This is why it is very important for the Pacers to make the playoffs this season and make their presence felt while they are there. The entire league - players and their agents in particular - will be watching. If they look like an up and coming perennial playoff team, that will certainly help their case when the Free Agent negotiating period begins.

Great point. But we have way more competition that you think. Boston is down to 27 million in 2012, Dallas is down to 38 in 2012, Houston is down to 41 next year, 33 in 2012, and the Clippers are going to be under 20 million in 2012. Those are all teams whose payrolls will be cut in half by then, as of right now. Also, NJ still has cap space as well.

Our time is now.

PaceBalls
02-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Some of you guys don't like what Danny said, but I look at it like Danny feels loyal to the team and isn't going to pull a LeMelo on the Pacers, and I love him for that. What he is talking about with the players demanding where they can go is very scary for a club like the Pacers. What if All-Star Paul George demands a trade in 3 years because he wants to be a Laker... That would really hurt. The NBA needs a franchise tag or something.

All in all though, Indy isn't so bad, Fishers is rated in the top 10 places to live in the USA, but it is cold and it certainly isn't south beach where the all the young people want to go party.

MTM
02-23-2011, 12:41 PM
I am always interested in what athletes are looking for in the city where they play. I mean - they need to live there during the winter months, and Indy is not a fun city when the weather gets cold. But as a place to buy things, pay taxes, put kids into schools, and be worshipped, Indy is a great place to put down roots 9 months a year. No traffic, centrally located, and its nice neighborhoods are really nice.

Reggie Miller had this concept down to a science - he treated Hoosiers like they were his 'home' when he was in season, then he moved to L.A. when it was off season. Same with Peyton, right? That's all an athlete has to do during his 10-15 year career. For purposes of what an athlete needs (particularly if family is involved), I don't know how the mid-sized city isn't a better option.

Haywoode Workman
02-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Not at all.

yea, just kinda sounds like me whining after teams get divvied up in a pick up game and don't seem fair.

just play and get paid dude.

Kid Minneapolis
02-23-2011, 05:15 PM
I agree with Danny under standard circumstances (ie. success). You build a good team through the draft and smart FA moves and develop a consistently winning environment and players will come to you. We were attracting good veteran players in the late-90s willing to play for a chance at a title.