PDA

View Full Version : Raptors acquire James Johnson from Bulls

Trophy
02-22-2011, 11:01 PM
http://www.nba.com/2011/news/02/22/bulls.raptors.trade.johnson.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- The rebuilding Toronto Raptors got even younger on Tuesday by acquiring second-year forward James Johnson from the Chicago Bulls for a first-round pick in this year's draft.

The Raptors worked out the versatile former Wake Forest player in the 2009 draft before the sophomore was selected by the Bulls with the 16th pick. The Raptors gave up the first round pick they acquired from Miami in the Chris Bosh sign-and-trade deal. They still own their own pick, which will almost certainly end up in the lottery.

"James Johnson is a strong, athletic and versatile small forward that we have had our eyes on dating to the 2009 draft," Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo said in a statement."

The 6-foot-9 Johnson has had a limited impact, playing in 78 games over two seasons and averaging 3.8 points and 1.9 rebounds. After failing to crack Chicago's rotation he recently served a stint in the NBA Development League.

While the surging Bulls get a late first-round draft pick, the move gives struggling Toronto another prospect as it starts over following Bosh's offseason departure.

Coach Jay Triano hinted earlier Tuesday that any moves the team makes before Thursday's trade deadline "would be to help this team in the future."

Johnson will join a team that was 15-41 before Tuesday's game against Charlotte.

"I always liked his game when he was at Wake Forest," said Raptors guard DeMar DeRozan, who was in the same draft class with Johnson. "You never know. It could work out great for him and be a great pickup for us. We hope so."

BringJackBack
02-22-2011, 11:05 PM
So they trade what is likely the #28th pick for Johnson? How do you guys feel about this trade?

Trophy
02-22-2011, 11:07 PM
So they trade what is likely the #28th pick for Johnson? How do you guys feel about this trade?

The Raptors love wing players I guess.

Kaufman
02-22-2011, 11:10 PM
From when I saw him play in person last year against the Celtics, he seems to really be more of a 4 in a 3 body. I don't see him really as a wing type of player.

Spirit
02-22-2011, 11:43 PM
A bench warmer for a low pick sounds about fair to me.

Major Cold
02-23-2011, 12:11 AM
He has promise. I like his game, but needs time to develop. I could see him be a rotational player.

Spirit
02-23-2011, 12:13 AM
Yeah but as said earlier he's built like an undersized power forward, but yet he has a small forward move set. I just can't see him being a very good player.

ballism
02-23-2011, 12:18 AM
He's a poor man's Linas Kleiza. A 3 with a body to bang inside a little. Kleiza is out for the year, so I guess it makes some sense for a basically 2nd round pick.

Spirit
02-23-2011, 12:20 AM
He's a poor man's Linas Kleiza. A 3 with a body to bang inside a little. Kleiza is out for the year, so I guess it makes some sense for a basically 2nd round pick.

This is unrelated to the topic but i've always wondered why when I watch Kleiza he always sucks but when I look on scorecards he seems like a good player. I've watched him before and he would air ball threes and pretty much remain irrelevant the whole game.

ballism
02-23-2011, 04:21 PM
This is unrelated to the topic but i've always wondered why when I watch Kleiza he always sucks but when I look on scorecards he seems like a good player. I've watched him before and he would air ball threes and pretty much remain irrelevant the whole game.

To be fair, the whole season was very up and down for him, so I often had the same impression as you.

He was by far their best player during preseason and early on. Then Reggie Evans gets injured and rotations start to get messy. And then Kleiza got injured himself and they gave away his spot to Sonny Weems, which seemed to have shaken Kleiza's confidence. Then after a while Kleiza starts to play like one of their best players again, and the season ending injury happens.

You just can't mess with rotations like that every time someone misses a few games, especially not for a terribad player like Sonny Weems.

Raptors stats with Kleiza in the lineup are amazing though... Especially compared to Raptors stats when Sonny Weems is in the lineup. It's rare for a role player to have such difference in all categories. Not saying he's the new Scola or Ginobili, but it seems Raps' chemistry and toughness goes up a lot with him on the floor.

http://www.82games.com/1011/10TOR11.HTM

pacergod2
02-23-2011, 04:38 PM
I really love the deal for Toronto. They sent a late first for a promising young player. I think Johnson has nice touch and good handles for a 6'9" player. He is somewhat of a tweener though. He is a high level reserve IMO long term. He would be similar to Gerald Wallace in terms of body type. He is a three that can play four but doesn't bang like you would want a four to. I am not saying though that he has a similar game to Wallace. A is more perimeter oriented for 6'9, but isn't the aggressor that Wallace is, nor the athlete. He has plus athleticism in my opinion, but not to Wallace's degree. I would hope for him to be a 30 minute per game backup used at both forward positions (similar to Milsap's usage when they had Boozer). He really could work on his strength and his range, IMO. I wouldn't want him jacking threes necessarily, but make sure it is a weapon to help with his versatility. He is just one of those players that seems like he is good in a lot of areas, but not great in any one. He needs to work on his whole game, but he seems to have the potential to be a really solid player. He needs a lot of court time and Toronto has that luxury. Johnson was third on the depth chart at PF for the Bulls with no playing time in sight. Especially with the centers that the Bulls give time to. I think the Bulls were happy to get a late first for someone who isn't cracking their rotation and the Raps gave up a late first for a damn good prospect.